Wow, sticker shock

I just had to cancel our 2022 cruise because my husband passed away (not from the virus) on April 2.  I thought maybe I would try cruising by myself and looked up another 2022 cruise in a Solo cabin.  The non-refundable fare on line was about $2200.00.  When I called because I would like a refundable fare, I was told the fare is $3780.00.  Yikes! 

Perhaps consider booking the non-refundable and since you have so much time, then at some point change it to refundable. Did you also consider booking a double with a TBD. Not sure if that helps but just wanted to offer the suggestion.

7 minutes ago, Synchronaut said:

I just had to cancel our 2022 cruise because my husband passed away (not from the virus) on April 2.  I thought maybe I would try cruising by myself and looked up another 2022 cruise in a Solo cabin.  The non-refundable fare on line was about $2200.00.  When I called because I would like a refundable fare, I was told the fare is $3780.00.  Yikes! 

Can't offer you any suggestions but just wanted to say so sorry to hear about your husband.  

• Like 1

Synchronaut, I am so sorry for your loss of your husband.

I had looked at a few cruises for Summer 2021, and Winter 2022 in order to use the FCC I will be getting once I cancel my NRD TA cruise.  Yikes indeed!  Balconies are almost double the price of an Outside cabin.😞

I'm actually hoping RCI cancels before my final payment is due next month so I can get a refund.  Just saying....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

Perhaps consider booking the non-refundable and since you have so much time, then at some point change it to refundable. Did you also consider booking a double with a TBD. Not sure if that helps but just wanted to offer the suggestion.

You can not change from non refundable to refundable

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Synchronaut said:

When I called because I would like a refundable fare, I was told the fare is $3780.00

You don't need to call to find the refundable rate, just keep going through the booking process a bit further from where you saw the NRD rate and you get to see the refundable one. The RCI CSR may not have given you to the comparable cabin price.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Synchronaut said:

I'm getting emails everyday from RCL and Celebrity and the prices so far have been a joke, not at all competitive with HAL and Princess.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, molly361 said:

You can not change from non refundable to refundable

Sorry, I meant it the other way around.

Oh those senior moments at the keyboard :classic_blush:

Edited by Ashland
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Synchronaut said:

Unfortunately the solo rate is usually the same as a double .   However, I still like to cruise and enjoy having a room to myself.  Also, the freedom of doing what I like - meals and excursions.  Tried with a group of three others - two rooms but didn't really enjoy the cruise.  Didn't like the "group thing". 

• Like 1

If and when I return to cruising I will never book another NR deposit but I also will probably never book out far in advance - it will be after the final payment date has passed.  I won't pay an exorbitant price in order to book a refundable rate either.

All of this may mean that I will never cruise again and life will go on if that happens.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Synchronaut said:

Heartfelt thanks to all of your so very kind thoughts.  It's been kind of tough along with these bad times.  I wish all of you great cruises once you can again.

Hold close to your heart those old memories and open your heart to making new ones...just as he would like you to.

• Like 1

Try pricing for 2021 refundable then lifting and shifting to 2022. My TA just did this for me. Saved quite a bit of money. Also check out on Facebook royal Caribbean lifters and shifters page for lots of great advice in doing this. Sorry for your loss 🙏

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Synchronaut said:

So sorry for your loss!!!

• Thanks 1