Celebrity Suspensions Extended (Merged Discussions)

WNcruiser

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

It will take weeks just for the new crew to clear all of the Covid tests and quarantine.  Based on vlogs from a couple of crew members, no one is talking about cruising anytime soon, it will take several weeks to notify new crews and transport them to the ships.  I'm starting to become skeptical about February 2021.

I guess that depends on where the cruise might be. A cruise from the US... yeah, I would have my doubts.
We have one booked for Asia in April 2021. I am not completely losing hope for that one.

6 minutes ago, BigAl94 said:

Celebrity Edge had a bit over 100 crew on board in the past weeks. They themselves called it warm layup.

Whichever term you prefer, fact is that with a further reduced crew a restart will take even longer. They know they are no going anywhere soon.

So for everyone still keeping their hope up for an October, November... cruise (maybe not you) - that doesn´t look so good.

As if the signs had not been obvious enough 🙂

Edited by Miaminice

1 hour ago, Debbiem83 said:

I’ll be sure to check back in if mine is cancelled, so you can all say “ I told you so” but I think for now I’m off to join a more hopeful Group!

thanks all

1 hour ago, Debbiem83 said:

ha - im glad its not just me - whilst deep down im pretty sure we wont be sailing on 8th November in Japan - im still clinging onto the fact that it hasnt been cancelled yet and hate it when my hubby keeps saying "theres no way it will be sailing"  until i get that email from Celebrity - IM GOING !!

• Like 2

It has now been officially announced: All October sailings (except three AUS sailings), as well as three November sailings have been cancelled:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/travel-alert/voluntary-suspension-of-cruising

The health and safety of our guests, crew, and the communities we visit is our top priority. As we work with the CDC and others toward this shared goal, Royal Caribbean Group will be extending the suspension of sailings to include those departing on or before October 31, 2020, excluding sailings from China and Australia.

http://www.thecelebritycommitment.com/Voluntary_Suspension_of_Cruising.html

As the world continues to confront the many challenges resulting from COVID19, our top priority continues to be the health and safety of passengers, crew and the communities we visit. In order to ensure the most effective initiatives are in place for a healthy return to service, Celebrity Cruises will be extending the suspension of global operations for all departing on-or-before October 31st, 2020 along with three sailings in November, including the Celebrity Silhouette sailings of 11/8/20, 11/20/20 and Celebrity Infinity 11/16/20.

Edited by mikkelhansen

2 minutes ago, mikkelhansen said:

It has now been officially announced: All October sailings (except three AUS sailings) and three November sailings:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/travel-alert/voluntary-suspension-of-cruising

The health and safety of our guests, crew, and the communities we visit is our top priority. As we work with the CDC and others toward this shared goal, Royal Caribbean Group will be extending the suspension of sailings to include those departing on or before October 31, 2020, excluding sailings from China and Australia.

http://www.thecelebritycommitment.com/Voluntary_Suspension_of_Cruising.html

As the world continues to confront the many challenges resulting from COVID19, our top priority continues to be the health and safety of passengers, crew and the communities we visit. In order to ensure the most effective initiatives are in place for a healthy return to service, Celebrity Cruises will be extending the suspension of global operations for all departing on-or-before October 31st, 2020 along with three sailings in November, including the Celebrity Silhouette sailings of 11/8/20, 11/20/20 and Celebrity Infinity 11/16/20.

still not cancelled mine though 🙂 :

• Like 1

Royal Caribbean Group (NYSE: RCL) announced:

The health and safety of our guests, crew, and the communities we visit is our top priority. As we work with the CDC and others toward this shared goal, Royal Caribbean Group will be extending the suspension of sailings to include those departing on or before October 31, 2020, excluding sailings from China and Australia.

We will be reaching out to our guests and travel partners to share further details and address any questions or concerns they may have.

They conveniently waited until AFTER final payment would have been due for all October cruises before making the announcement. Thus, forcing people to cancel and settle for a FCC, or make the payment and give Celebrity a huge loan. 

21 minutes ago, mchell810 said:

They conveniently waited until AFTER final payment would have been due for all October cruises before making the announcement. Thus, forcing people to cancel and settle for a FCC, or make the payment and give Celebrity a huge loan. 

As expected. This has been their method of operation for several months now, and I doubt that we will see a change. 

32 minutes ago, mchell810 said:

Our final payement was only due at the end of the month as we would cruise Oct 26

This was final payment day for our 11/6 Equinox cruise.  The good news is we paid it with FCC from our cancelled Silhouette 3/27/20 voyage.  Our cruise friends sailing with us paid the $$.    We don't expect to sail.

55 minutes ago, pethi said:

Our final payement was only due at the end of the month as we would cruise Oct 26

My cruise was for Oct. 28th with final payment date of July 30th.  I cancelled on the 29th since it was clear Celebrity wouldn't be reasonable.  The cruise was for Australia and New Zealand -- it's been obvious for months they can't make this sailing.   Now I am reading that some people were given a delayed payment date so that they could wait for the announcement and get a refund; the agent I spoke to on the 29th did not give me that option. Celebrity's games are too much. Yes all companies are struggling, but others have been much more realistic, and respectful of customers, in cancelling cruises. 

To make things worse, the day after I cancelled I got 2 emails AND a phone call from Celebrity reps trying to get me to book another cruise; yet, I was told it would take 45 -60 days to get my FCC.  Perhaps the agents trying to get new bookings could be used to process FCCs faster. 

Edited by mchell810
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mchell810 said:

Nothing new there.

Really?  There is so much conjecture floating around that it seems like much of the stuff on the Internet is not always completely correct.  Today I got one that said a Viking was discontinuing operations indefinitely.  Go to Viking website, it doesn’t seem correct. Just got email with Viking offers for 2023.  Not sure what to believe.  For now, just staying home, not booking, hoping for a cure or vaccine, and praying that we survive 2020.

3 hours ago, mchell810 said:

I don't think they planned this.... I suspect the fact that that Norwegian cruise line (not NCL) had over 30 cases of Covid19  on one of their initial restart cruises, probably played a role in their decision. You can imagine what the CDC thought when they read about that cruise ship... They don't want to have egg on their face... so they are probably toughening their position and will make it that much tougher to get restarted. They are going to want to take a look at what happened there and make sure they have plans in place. Also public health officials are seeking 100% safety... they have no responsibility for the economy or whether or not an industry folds... they have a single focus... stop the disease. We moved our Dec sailing... because even if they did start up in Oct... I want to know it it is still fun... before I make final payment. If I am going to feel trapped with a tight schedule of when or where I can go on the ship and have to wear a mask all the time... I might as well stay home.

I started this thread last Friday, so it took Celebrity 5 days to make an announcement after pulling the cruises off the website. 

No information given on the ships either as Princess did. Anxiously awaiting to see if Apex comes to the US or not. My guess is NO. 

Edited by WNcruiser

I'm confused as to why passengers who have made a final payment and have their cruise cancelled by Celebrity can only get an FCC.  That's not true.  There are three options:

1. Life and Shift your cruise to the same cruise (relatively) next year
  2. Take the FCC
  3. Request a full refund

Please call your travel agent to discuss these options.  There is so much information floating around out there that it's difficult to navigate all of it.  But if you have made final payment and your cruise just got cancelled due to the suspension, you can definitely request a full refund.

I'm so sorry this has happened to everyone. I have two upcoming cruises (and doubt that either will happen).   Please keep in mind that these decisions are not up to Celebrity alone and there are many people being affected by all of this in addition to passengers.  I think Celebrity, her crew, entertainers, shore side employees, etc. want to Celebrity ships be cruising as much as we do.