Will we really enjoy the new cruising

llawrence

I just finished reading a review from one of Europe’s cruise to nowhere....it didn’t seem like the cruisers are ready for the changes.   Only 150 allowed  in the theater....the rest watch from their staterooms...Music had to be slow so no one would dance....Most bars not opened......masks always....Don’t know if I am ready for the new look of cruising....waiting to see how this next round goes.....at least there will be ports.  

• Like 1

I agree we have to see...but I think we are seeing what it might be like reading the reviews from Europe.....there has been a number of responses on Apple News...all I have read have not been good...one cruiser stated that it was a little like being in isolation....as almost all interaction between crew and passengers was very brief.....we have a few scheduled cruises in nov. 2020. (Not).....and late 2021.....hoping for the best

I would not cruise under the current conditions. This pandemic will come to an end and things will get back to normal at some point. I have a cruise booked in March that I'm hoping will happen but I will cancel it if there is no vaccine or reliable cure by then.

• Like 2

I would chalk this year up as done at this point might have some of these short style cruises but until the world gets its hands wrapped around this disease don’t expect much.  Many ports closed off still almost no lines sailing etc. no reason to speculate in general any type of travel now is not going to be fun. I moved my cruises to next year in nov.  hoping to do an all inclusive but there not opening to late sept. I’m fine having a beach and hotel to myself and travel partner.  . So lots not happening in any form of travel. 

• Like 1

We still have no idea what new cruising will look like. These are just baby steps to get the industry started with the die hards.

Once the industry really starts up I will look at what on board life will be like. Once I decide it is time to board a ship again I’m not going to focus on what I can do and have a fun trip.

A good trip is what you make of it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

NOW you brought back some good memories. I loved those things...

Santa Clause brought me my Magic 8 Ball 61 years ago. I'm a lot older but it's a lot wiser. 😉

Edited by davekathy
  • Haha 2

I can only speak for myself- of course- but I did enjoy " Cruising Pandemic Style" ! Tui Cruises started with short cruises to nowhere- I joined in on the second blue journey as they call them. I loved every minute of it. Of course it was different- but to enjoy nontheless. Yes I wore my mask while walking the ship- on the open decks only when social distancing was not to keep up.

What I really really enjoyed was the ship sailing with a little over 1000 passengers instead of the usual 3000.

Seems like many passengers liked the experience since they have now MS 1and 2 operating on those extended blue journeys. I booked already on a another one- this time 7 days- Norwegian Fjords- " Indian Summer in the Fjords- I expect cold weather - but that is not a problem at all for me!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Germancruiser said:

I can only speak for myself- of course- but I did enjoy " Cruising Pandemic Style" ! Tui Cruises started with short cruises to nowhere- I joined in on the second blue journey as they call them. I loved every minute of it. Of course it was different- but to enjoy nontheless. Yes I wore my mask while walking the ship- on the open decks only when social distancing was not to keep up.

What I really really enjoyed was the ship sailing with a little over 1000 passengers instead of the usual 3000.

Seems like many passengers liked the experience since they have now MS 1and 2 operating on those extended blue journeys. I booked already on a another one- this time 7 days- Norwegian Fjords- " Indian Summer in the Fjords- I expect cold weather - but that is not a problem at all for me!

@Germancruiser  will you be doing another wonderful live review 😁🙏

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Germancruiser said:

Thank you Shadow- I sure will- and I have a bit more time on my hands since it is a 7 nighter.

@Germancruiser I realy appreciated your last live review.  It really helps with the cruise withdrawal.  Plus, I love your positive attitude. 

It was nice and enjoyable to read your positive thread,  especially when things are so difficult for everyone right now. 

So thanks in advance, and when do we board!?😉

• Like 2

After all we have been hearing and reading about the cruises which actually happened - like the one Germancruiser was on, we decided that it’s more than OK for us.

We can very well live without the events mentioned by the OP. Theater and shows are not important to us. I am more than happy about not having to dance... 

Plus, the part about bars being closed is not correct. Bars are open, there’s just no seating at the bar/counter... also fine with us.

We are so used to wearing masks by now that it’s not even worth thinking about...

Currently we are in Italy, enjoying a beautiful hotel. Masks have to be worn in public indoor areas - just like on the ship. So why would we mind ?!

Only condition regarding the cruise: TUI cruises yes! MSC, Costa, Aida, no!

So we also booked one of the first cruises to somewhere offered by TUI, but chose Greece because of the warmer temperatures. We will be sailing end of September and we will also post about our experiences.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Really hope to be back on a ship next summer.

We were in Madrid last week and everybody was wearing masks indoors and outside. We got used to them and at bars and restaurants they could be removed once your drinks and food were served. If that is applied on cruises I will happily comply.

Even the wife said it saves time putting her make up on!  

Edited by Esprit
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Cruising is more about enjoying the journey than getting to more new destinations for my wife and myself.

Enjoying the crew and other guests has always been an important part of our overall positivity about cruising and that seems to be limited in the 'new cruising'. We have always done independant excursions so if the required crew led excursions is maintained after the coronavirus issue is history we could still feel some ambivalence.

Therefore, with that said ... we feel the 'new cruising' lifetime is limited since once a vaccine is available we think things may get back to normal ... we hope so, as we miss planning our cruises as much as we enjoy being on them ... 🙂 ... good luck to all!

Edited by GlobalMethod
typo
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, GlobalMethod said:

Cruising is more about enjoying the journey than getting to more new destinations for my wife and myself.

Enjoying the crew and other guests has always been an important part of our overall positivity about cruising and that seems to be limited in the 'new cruising'. We have always done independant excursions so if the required crew led excursions is maintained after the coronavirus issue is history we could still feel some ambivalence.

Therefore, with that said ... we feel the 'new cruising' lifetime is limited since once a vaccine is available we think things may get back to normal ... we hope so, as we miss planning our cruises as much as we enjoy being on them ... 🙂 ... good luck to all!

Good points. For us, it's a bit more slanted towards experiencing new destinations than any of the social aspects you refer to, which would explain why DIY travel is still our favorite mode. Can only hope that things do (at least reasonably) get back to some type of 'normal' that we've all been familiar with. 

"All that is gold does not glitter"  (LOL...you quoted our all-time favorite book)  🙂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

Good points. For us, it's a bit more slanted towards experiencing new destinations than any of the social aspects you refer to, which would explain why DIY travel is still our favorite mode. Can only hope that things do (at least reasonably) get back to some type of 'normal' that we've all been familiar with. 

"All that is gold does not glitter"  (LOL...you quoted our all-time favorite book)  🙂 

I get your travel idology ... makes sense ... if we ever met on a cruise (not the "new cruising" ... 🙂 ... we could probably have a good chat about books) ... I read about 50 a year ... 🙂 ... "The old that is strong does not wither" ... 🙂 ... Happy Travels!

While I am yearning for the "full experience", the only thing stopping me from cruising when it starts again would be inadequate preparations for how the ship would handle illness onboard.  I would want to make sure I would be well taken care of medically should I catch it (which could happen even with a vaccine), how they would quarantine, and all issues related to this situation.  Right now having to put up with missing some things and wearing masks would not stop me.

• Like 2