I have been a Jimmy Buffet fan since I was 15. However, my 40th Birthday plan my interfere with my mother's 60t

jeremyosborne81

I'm just going to post up something as a sounding board. This is a real first world non-issue.

I enjoy, not love but enjoy, Jimmy Buffet's music. Since I was 15 I consistently listen to his Greatest Hits CD, including the sappy song "How a Pirate Looks at 40." Because of that, I always thought it would be fun to spend my 40th birthday in Key West, having a Jimmy Buffet themed bacchanal.

However, my mother and myself are 19 years 11 months apart in age. This has always made remembering her age easy as it's generally 20 years older than I am. This means, when I turn 40 next October, she will turn 60 in November.

Both are significant birthdays to be celebrated. Part of my plan for my birthday would be to take a cruise out of Miami that stops in Key West and Cozumel. My mother has said she would like to attend that, even though this plan would prevent us from doing something for her birthday. Another reason for the cruise idea is that my birthday is the end of October and falls RIGHT in the middle of Fantasy Fest, making booking hotels and whatnot that much more difficult.

Now she does want to go on a cruise "someday" but her dream cruise is to Alaska. She just wants to admire the scenery in person. Of course, Alaska has a season for cruising that ends in mid-October. So, I was thinking I could delay my Caribbean plans until 2022, when I turn 41, and we could do an Alaskan cruise for our birthdays next year (Of course assuming all things are open and available by then).

I lived with my Dad through High School. She pretty much doesn't know how much I appreciate Jimmy Buffet's music and how long I have been thinking about this. My selfish side really doesn't want to give up on this dream, as silly and ultimately meaningless it is, I had for 25 years. Even though I can still do it the next year, it just doesn't feel as significant on a 41st birthday as opposed to a 40th.

So, help me weigh this out.

Thanks

Edited by jeremyosborne81

Do mom’s thing.

A cruise that stops at Key West for a few hours is not sufficient to celebrate a Jimmy Buffet birthday. One must stay a few nights in Key West or a similar locale. When you don’t arise until after 2pm for a few days then you will have done it right.

The cruise could end up with you on a “Kokomo” pub crawl. Not bad, but not what you are looking for. 

Parrotheads in hiding. 

Edited by neverbeenhere
Beach Boys Salute
  • Like 1

Mum's older, so she wins.  However ...

Queen Elizabeth II has an official birthday as well as a personal birthday.  Treat your mother like a Queen and go on an Alaska cruise at the best time of year on her "official 60th birthday", perhaps on the Queen's UK official birthday of 12th June 2021; or on the Queen's Canadian official birthday on 24th May 2021.  Or any other convenient date.

3 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Easy mum’s 60th way outweighs my 40th.

To put it in some perspective and sorry for the glumness but my mother died at 60 and my father died three months later at 61 and not from lengthy illnesses. Just sayin'.

Can you do both?  Is it possible to go the Alaska cruise earlier in the summer, in recognition of her 60th birthday year, but a few months before the actual event, and then do your Key West cruise in the fall/winter, around your own birthday?  Since these two big birthdays only come around once, this might be a way to have cake/eat cake, if budgets allow.

2 hours ago, eyecantwait said:

I'm with neverbeenhere

This....I feel like you're covered as long as you get there sometime during the year you're 40.

Yes! For those milestone birthdays,  a trip any time during the year is appropriate. (And Parrotheads know that partying Buffet-style can happen any place - it's a state of mind.)  🙂

• Like 3

19 hours ago, clo said:

To put it in some perspective and sorry for the glumness but my mother died at 60 and my father died three months later at 61 and not from lengthy illnesses. Just sayin'.

My mom passed at 57. I would have loved to be able to go anywhere with her for her 60th Birthday.

Mom trumps Jimmy Buffet, unless you can do both.

6 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Jimmy who?  I thought all the Buffets would be closed and only table service available. 😜

No buffet for Jimmy. He stepped on a pop top on his way to Lido deck, cut his heels and had to cruise on back home.