CDC Lifts Cruise Ban

molly361

38 minutes ago, sellwingri said:

Does this apply only to cruises sailing from the U.S?  Are sailings from ports in Europe and Japan exempt from number of days?

It applies only to cruises sailing either into or from the US. Europe and Japan can do what they want.

No trans atlantic or pacific until 2022 in/out of the US. Nothing longer than 7 days unless the CDC modifies the Conditional Sailing Certificate.

12 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I am sure RCL has been retrofitting their cruise ships over the last couple of months and don't expect them to be surprised by any of the conditions on this order.     I did notice this footnote on page 28.      I wonder how long it would take for them to get all the certifications they need with USCG to be able to submit their paperwork to the CDC to get their Certificate to Sail.      All of this is going to take time to get processed. 

image.png

Someone on the ccl board posted there is a 30 and a 60 day submit papers kind of thing. Idk, but sounds like it might take a little while. My april cruise still might be cutting it close. 

47 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

Not Southwest

Nov. 30 for SWA.  

I'm an A-Lister on SWA. Luv them for cruising - no bag fees and easier change fees, at least for A-List. 

No cruises before then so if I were to fly SWA in December to a cruise there would be middle seats occupied.  

The airlines received billions in bailout money.  If anyone should be doing free CV testing, it should be airlines.  

• Like 3

Half the document is the CDC trying to make a case for claiming cruise ships are bad. Bad cruise ship, BAD! Completely ignorant of both changes being made to areas that investigators have found as likely reasons it did spread as well as the stupidity of refusing anyone being removed from the ship in a port in order to quarantine them in a facility capable of doing so and force them to quarantine in a facility not designed at all for such actions.

The other half is a no sail order disguised as a conditional sail order.

And now you'll see the cruise lines bend over backward to comply with even the most ridiculous of the demands because they'll all be worried that if they expressed their real opinion of this order they'll be treated more strictly than they're hoping to be treated when trying to comply.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

What I see is a lot of negative comments and lay people trying to analyze how this will work.  Simply put, this order is a start-up, temporary order to test systems, tweak them, and get a billion dollar business going.  It is time to sit back, let the experts figure it out, and hopefully sometime in December, actual paying cruises will happen.  One step at a time

You,sir, are the first voice of reason I've seen here in a long time.

I've curbed browsing this forum because of all the scaredy cat comments.  If you are that petrified--don't leave your house.  I've worked with the public this entire time.  Never got sick. No co-workers sick. Nobody I know got sick. Vacation is OPTIONAL and if your fear factor is so high you want testing 24 hours a day and a mandatory vaccine and to keep the world locked down for the flu, then don't go on vacation.  It's that simple.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

I can't wait for the new reviews to start coming in. 

Me too! I am not as anxious as most on CC to get back on a ship. I will wait to find out how the new system is working. Those new reviews will tie me over.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Why attack me. I was just saying I copied a answer from above, and trying to help. Why get angry?

I didnt think it right to copy someone else without giving them credit... as I said trying to help. 

I'm not angry. I just didn't think you needed to correct me. Who was copying who? I didn't copy anyone. I knew the answer because Riley is on the Quantum and will be sailing out of Singapore. Not everyone gets their info from the same place.

2 minutes ago, IrieBajan54 said:

Me too! I am not as anxious as most on CC to get back on a ship. I will wait to find out how the new system is working. Those new reviews will tie me over.

To be clear I'm fully expecting a train wreck and lots of complaining for the first few months. I want these reviews for pure entertainment. But people who will be on the first few months of sailings should know what they're in for. I just hope they work out all the bugs by my Feb 2022 cruise. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, IrieBajan54 said:

I am also looking forward to it. I cancelled a January cruise. I still have on on the books for April but I don't have high hopes of making that one either but I hope to have reviews before I am faced with cancelling that one too. After that I have nothing until January 2022.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, twangster said:

Kind of surprised the CDC actually read and incorporated the public comments from the RFI.

So glad they did. The positive comments turned out to have some weight. 75% of the respondents wanted cruising to resume.  When I posted the link to comment, most posters here dismissed the commenting as inconsequential saying the CDC would just ignore us - well they didn't and went as far as reading them and incorporating them in the conditional lift. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

It applies only to cruises sailing either into or from the US. Europe and Japan can do what they want.

No trans atlantic or pacific until 2022 in/out of the US. Nothing longer than 7 days unless the CDC modifies the Conditional Sailing Certificate.

Hmmm.  Are these definite rules?  I just purchased airfare to Japan this morning and can cancel within 24 hours and get a refund.  This cruise sails from Japan but ends in Seattle.

49 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Someone on the ccl board posted there is a 30 and a 60 day submit papers kind of thing. Idk, but sounds like it might take a little while. My april cruise still might be cutting it close. 

Yes the footnote on page 28 states all the paperwork and various certifications and inspections that must be completed bu USCG Then they can submit to cdc 60 days prior to their restart date to obtain the certificate to sail per ship.  Based on that I dont see them sailing till January at earliest.

3 minutes ago, sellwingri said:

Hmmm.  Are these definite rules?  I just purchased airfare to Japan this morning and can cancel within 24 hours and get a refund.  This cruise sails from Japan but ends in Seattle.

When is your sailing?  If its first half of 2021 I would cancel airfare and get refund.  

Nothing is definite.  I will only book refundable airfare, refundable anything going forward.

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

When is your sailing?  If its first half of 2021 I would cancel airfare and get refund.  

Nothing is definite.  I will only book refundable airfare, refundable anything going forward.

We sail from Tokyo on May 7th.

I wonder where each cruiseline will get their housing agreements for each port should they need to send crew and/or passengers there to quarantine?

Also states limited number of ships will be able to sail from each port.  How will all the cruiselines coordinate that as they all cannot sail out of same ports such as Miami?

2 hours ago, twangster said:

Agreed.  The closed system on an airplane is 1000 times more risky.  

1 hour ago, Pratique said:

On an airplane you are in a confined space for long enough to spread the virus.

Just some statistical food for thought, including studies from Harvard, Boeing, Airbus, and Embraer:

https://www.iata.org/en/pressroom/pr/2020-09-08-012/

https://news.delta.com/harvard-study-flying-presents-lower-risk-covid-19-grocery-shopping-dining-out

7D2E1A22-C317-4285-8B1A-FC0933145F81.jpeg

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Carnival faces some other 30/60 day issues from the probation and federal court actions of late related to their environmental case.  The judge threatened 60 days but used 30 days for this purpose in her order this week.  It applies to all Carnival brands and requires them to submit plans related to their environmental probation 30 days prior to being allowed to sail from a U.S. port.    This has nothing to do with the pandemic and it's unclear when Carnival will submit their plan to start the 30 day clock for this purpose.  There may be some confusion with these delays imposed on Carnival brands unrelated to the CDC.

9 minutes ago, Tapi said:

Just some statistical food for thought, including studies from Harvard, Boeing, Airbus, and Embraer:

https://www.iata.org/en/pressroom/pr/2020-09-08-012/

https://news.delta.com/harvard-study-flying-presents-lower-risk-covid-19-grocery-shopping-dining-out

Counter argument here:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-airlines-risks/bad-math-airlines-covid-safety-analysis-challenged-by-expert-idUSKBN27411C

It seems the expert the IATA cited disagrees with the basis of the IATA findings.

Edited by twangster
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

To be clear I'm fully expecting a train wreck and lots of complaining for the first few months. I want these reviews for pure entertainment. But people who will be on the first few months of sailings should know what they're in for. I just hope they work out all the bugs by my Feb 2022 cruise. 

As I previously mentioned,  buckets of popcorn and fun.

16 minutes ago, twangster said:

It seems the expert the IATA cited disagrees with the basis of the IATA findings.

While the opinion of this scientist attempts to refute the findings of the study reported by IATA, it does little to provide information to effectively counter similar studies by the US Department of Defense, Harvard and others. 

I work in the airline industry, and I have operated over 250 flights since the pandemic started. Thankfully I’ve remained Covid-free this entire time even though I sit for hours and hours less than 6 feet apart from another crew member. Statistically, the rate of infection among airline crew members is far below the rate for general population. I do believe these studies. 

• Like 4