CDC Lifts Cruise Ban

molly361

3 hours ago, molly361 said:

I think it's page 32 that says no cruises longer than 7 days

Yes, its on pg 32.  Here is the exact wording:

(2) The cruise ship operator must not sail or offer to sail on an itinerary longer than 7 days. CDC may shorten or lengthen the number of days permitted to sail based on public health considerations and as set forth in technical instructions or orders.

Edited by NthernLgts

57 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Paraphrasing pp 33-34 - minimum standard for covid affected cruise (doesn't say how many cases trigger this)

- Isolate infected passenger/crew

- quarantine everyone else

- terminate sailing and return to embarkation port

- disembark and evacuate everyone

-  transport passengers and crew using non-commercial transport

- cancel future voyages until given permission

My 2 concerns:       I didn't like reading "quarantine everyone else".    That is a bit different than how the cruise lines in Europe are set up with their protocols.      I, too, would like to know how many people it would take for that to happen.      What % of passengers/crew?

and will wait and find out how much RCL will charge each passenger for their embark and disembark tests .(I think I read it has to be a PCR test.)    

2 minutes ago, travelhound said:

This is very good news.  I just posted this information in the Carnival forum.

According to this Miami Herald  article (who are extremely biased normally because of the power of the cruise industry base in South Florida) even with skeleton crew on these ships,  the crew are still getting infected with COVID-19.   That potentially doesn't bode well for how the cruise-lines have already been handling the provided guidelines they have been given since this outbreak began.  

The industry is dying right now and needs all the help it can get. So do all the workforce who rely on cruise traffic for income.  I wish them the best of luck trying to operate with COVID numbers going up.

3 minutes ago, mellow moog said:

The industry is dying right now and needs all the help it can get. So do all the workforce who rely on cruise traffic for income.  I wish them the best of luck trying to operate with COVID numbers going up.

It's not dying.  But it is all on a steady march to bankruptcy reorganization. I'll be curious to see what it looks like on the other side.   

BTW, loyalty programs may go "POOF"!  And then we'll see everyone get their panties in a twist! LOL!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SV1432 said:

Speak for yourself. Between various on line forums, I have become an expert as an epidemiologist. Medical School is so yesterday. I have Google and some of my closest anonymous internet friends. 🤪🤪

Wow...7 posts total on CC...    Yes, you are a professional!  😉 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Billy Baltic said:

Are B2B still allowed? Doesn’t make sense to allow them while restricting cruises to 7 days or less. 

They aren't in Singapore and I'm guessing it will be the same here. I could always be wrong. 🤣

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

You are giving yourself a false sense of confidence thinking that because you're not dining with the same people, or sitting next to the same people, you're better off.  Within a closed system, that is actually a big part of the problem. 

Agreed.  The closed system on an airplane is 1000 times more risky.

I never said there is zero risk on a ship.  Just that's it's a lot less risky than airplanes.  

• Like 2

I expect that the cruise lines may have already done the upgrades to the medical facilities or at the very least drawn up the plans.  This was one of the first items that was mentioned when this all started.  

I do hope that the no B2B's does not last too long.  We have 2 B2B's in Aug/Sept and 2 more in Nov/Dec of 2021.

I can understand testing before, during and at the end of a cruise.  You can be exposed before boarding and become positive during a cruise.

If there are not chanced made after a few months we will lose our TP under these rules.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Paraphrasing pp 33-34 - minimum standard for covid affected cruise (doesn't say how many cases trigger this)

- Isolate infected passenger/crew

- quarantine everyone else

- terminate sailing and return to embarkation port

- disembark and evacuate everyone

-  transport passengers and crew using non-commercial transport

- cancel future voyages until given permission

Ah yes, back to the potential Prison Ship scenario possibility.  Sounds like fun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, island lady said:

Wow...7 posts total on CC...    Yes, you are a professional!  😉 

Long time reader (and cruiser), really never been one to comment much but I'm venturing out a bit more now a days. See, look at that - I'm up to 8 now. 28,600 - that's dedication!! :)

I get it when it comes to posting, I'm a....

image.jpeg.dd9b7b648e9ff45c7296a2c453029531.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

They aren't in Singapore and I'm guessing it will be the same here. I could always be wrong. 🤣

Answered above

, its on pg 32.  Here is the exact wording:

(2) The cruise ship operator must not sail or offer to sail on an itinerary longer than 7 days. CDC may shorten or lengthen the number of days permitted to sail based on public health considerations and as set forth in technical instructions or orders.

1 hour ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

These types of responses make me think some people don't really understand the critical problem cruises are facing

I love how people believe flying is completely different than a cruise ship. With people less than 6" apart, one infected person can infect an entire flight before they land. I don't want to hear about people being together for 7 days, blah blah blah. You can get infected just as easily on a 1 hour flight as you can on a 7-day cruise. All it takes is 1 person breathing. 

As for getting it, most people have no effects. My only reaction was an allergy. My doctor did the test and I was positive. Other than typical allergy from last weed bloom, I would have never known and carried it around to grocery stores, restaurants, friends, and who knows who else. The fact is most (high 90-percentile) have no effects. The small percentage that do need to take necessary precautions. I am not part of the 0.00001% that is considered by scientist to be immune. There have only been 4 diagnosed worldwide having it twice. There is no evidence to prove to a fact that those 4 people had a true positive test as well. I will go with odds and statistics until WHO, CDC, and other scientist flip flop on what this virus really is over the next 3 years.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Eddie Wilson said:

18 inches away is not always true.  

Lets put it this way, in my youth it took two or sometimes three dates to get as close and touchy as I am with the person next to me on airline flights.  I think most airlines are back to selling middle seats.

Eddie

Yes, middle seats are back in November.  Ahh, middle seats and rubbing elbows with the passenger next to me as we jostle for the 1" armrest between us.  The good ole days.  

Seats in coach are typically 16 - 17" wide.  Add an 1" for the gap between.  That puts them on 18" centers.  Domestic first class is more like 24" with the more generous armrest between the 21" wide seats.  

First class COVID spreaders are just as effective as coach class COVID spreaders.  It's pure luck.  Spin the wheel, does my seat mate stranger have COVID or not?  

Miami is a 4 hour flight for me.    I am more likely to get COVID on the plane to the ship compared to a cruise ship that will actually do testing to ban positive cases coming board compared to an airline that does no testing. 

1 hour ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

These types of responses make me think some people don't really understand the critical problem cruises are facing.

Nothing has been figured out to address the underlying problem.  And comparing it to air travel only demonstrates one's lack of understanding.

Respectfully, I have a different understanding than you do. The virus doesn't care if you are on a cruise ship or at a wedding or in a movie theater. Contact is contact. On an airplane you are in a confined space for long enough to spread the virus. Why don't they test the passengers? All of the arguments I hear here are not persuasive to me. But that doesn't mean I "lack understanding." We just have different impressions.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

Ah yes, back to the potential Prison Ship scenario possibility.  Sounds like fun.

Absolutely. This is the single biggest reason why we won’t be cruising until these protocols are removed. All it takes is one person to be careless with their hygiene and everyone is locked up. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, twangster said:

Yes, middle seats are back in November.  Ahh, middle seats and rubbing elbows with the passenger next to me as we jostle for the 1" armrest between us.  The good ole days.  

Seats in coach are typically 16 - 17" wide.  Add an 1" for the gap between.  That puts them on 18" centers.  Domestic first class is more like 24" with the more generous armrest between the 21" wide seats.  

First class COVID spreaders are just as effective as coach class COVID spreaders.  It's pure luck.  Spin the wheel, does my seat mate stranger have COVID or not?  

Miami is a 4 hour flight for me.    I am more likely to get COVID on the plane to the ship compared to a cruise ship that will actually do testing to ban positive cases coming board compared to an airline that does no testing. 

Not Southwest

42 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Answered above

, its on pg 32.  Here is the exact wording:

My bad. I guess I missed that. I guess I'm not allowed to repeat an answer like the tons of others on here including you? Smh!

9 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

My bad. I guess I missed that. I guess I'm not allowed to repeat an answer like the tons of others on here including you? Smh!

Why attack me. I was just saying I copied a answer from above, and trying to help. Why get angry?

I didnt think it right to copy someone else without giving them credit... as I said trying to help. 

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1

I am sure RCL has been retrofitting their cruise ships over the last couple of months and don't expect them to be surprised by any of the conditions on this order.     I did notice this footnote on page 28.      I wonder how long it would take for them to get all the certifications they need with USCG to be able to submit their paperwork to the CDC to get their Certificate to Sail.      All of this is going to take time to get processed. 

image.png