Its not RCL that scares me, its the airlines...

24 minutes ago, Crazy planning mom said:

That is not cool that you are wishing that the Alaska 2021 season will be cancelled.  If you dont want to go then lift and shift or pay the $100 change fee.   There are many people who are hoping for an an Alaskan season including businesses in Alaska.   Before my scheduled cruise in Alaska, I was planning to spending multiple nights in hotels there and enjoy the food and take local tours.

So far lift and shift only allows until April 2022 so it does not include Alaska. We tried it showed the 2022 dates on our cruise planner but now it shows 2021 again. When I called they said it is still being reviewed. Our best chance at a refund is Canada staying closed yes sad for business there but many businesses where I live have closed too it's just what is happening right now.

15 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

Canadians have been leaders in compliance with regard to masks, social distancing, etc.

Canadian leadership has been extremely consistent across the country... Canadian borders and ports will not open for travel, not only to Americans but everyone else, unless C19 is proven to be in control or is eradicated. What are the chances that it's eradicated within the next 5 months before May 2021?

The 2021 Alaska cruise season (re the PVSA), in my humble non-scientific opinion, is in jeopardy.

5 minutes ago, twangster said:

No one should have to lose money or be forced to take fools gold FCC because the situation doesn't allow a real cruise experience.  Same with Europe or New Zealand cruises.  Why go when all you can do is look at it through a bar window on a ship?

Would you take a land vacation where you weren't allow to leave the hotel?  How about visiting Disney but you have to stay within the hotel and never visit a theme park?

It's an unrealistic approach to an expensive vacation.

Keep it closed until we are free to enjoy the experience we are paying good money for.   

Again if that is how you feel wait until 2022.  Not everyone shares your view.  Many people only take ship sponsored shore excursions.    I dont think the Alaska Sealife Center should go out of business because you dont want to visit Alaska this year.

• Like 1

Just now, Nemomof3 said:

So far lift and shift only allows until April 2022 so it does not include Alaska. We tried it showed the 2022 dates on our cruise planner but now it shows 2021 again. When I called they said it is still being reviewed. Our best chance at a refund is Canada staying closed yes sad for business there but many businesses where I live have closed too it's just what is happening right now.

Hopefully, they will move the date on the expiration of lift and shift.  

2 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

I go to Walmart to check out the latest fashion trends.  Who knew that pajamas were so popular to be worn in the middle of the day?

Dan

Kid of like the people that wear the robes when going into the WJ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Fun Researcher said:

When it comes to COVID, I believe that anyone can find an article that definitively proves their side of an argument.

Dan

Only when it's politicized.

Read articles and watch information from non-American sources who don't have a political agenda

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

Are you going to actually read any of the hundred articles on line by googling "airline safety".?

Or maybe just click one of the three links I provided to you?

Right... that's too difficult. It's easier to believe what you believe, without listening to any reason or scientific study.

You can provide me with all the links you want. I'm not flying until covid under control. You can make your own choices. Im also not eating in restaurants, got my hair cut only once, so severely limiting my exposure to other people. 

True it doesnt matter what you say, I'm not flying at this time. Im 70 with elderly parents, no reason to risk being out other than necessary. Flying is not necessary to my life. Its unimportant. I dont care. Any exposure to others is a risk imo. 

3 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

Read articles and watch information from non-American sources who don't have a political agenda

There have been a lot of reports in US media saying the exact same thing as the links you provided.  It's not all political.

8 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

Or actually read scientific studies. They're not always exciting, but they're usually the most accurate. That's where I get most of my data/info. 

6 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

You can provide me with all the links you want. I'm not flying until covid under control. You can make your own choices. Im also not eating in restaurants, got my hair cut only once, so severely limiting my exposure to other people. 

True it doesnt matter what you say, I'm not flying at this time. Im 70 with elderly parents, no reason to risk being out other than necessary. Flying is not necessary to my life. Its unimportant. I dont care. Any exposure to others is a risk imo. 

And that's what it's all about - choice.  You're not comfortable flying during Covid and that's fine.  I have and will continue to, that's fine too.  Let's not turn this thread into another s*** show like so many others lately.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, voyager70 said:

We flew to Florida last month for a land vacation.  Three hour flight both ways.  Everyone wearing masks in airports and planes (it's mandatory).  Planes were thoroughly sanitised before and after flights (was explained the process by flight crew).  Air filtration systems replace onboard air every 2-3 minutes.  I wouldn't hesitate to fly again.  And I haven't heard of any Covid outbreaks resulting from flights.  And no, I don't work for the airlines or have any vested interest other than expressing my experience and opinion.

Agree, watched few air quality studies confirm. They also use a long term sanitize treatment/solution.  Flown 3 times since June, never seen planes as clean/wiped down. In past lucky if they spent 5 min, doing 30min lately. Airlines flown(inc 2weeks ago) haven't been filling middle seat, twice was exit row window and had whole row to myself. First CV flight June 1st, at time mask wasn't required in Airports or on Plane, 1/3 didnt wear them...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, voyager70 said:

And that's what it's all about - choice.  You're not comfortable flying during Covid and that's fine.  I have and will continue to, that's fine too.  Let's not turn this thread into another s*** show like so many others lately.

Not me, just replying to someone who didnt like me saying imo it's not safe. I dont go get a haircut because I keep to a minimum interactions with others until I'm vaccinated.

2 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

The way COVID has exploded in the last few weeks it's hard to determine just where one picks it up.

The plane is one possibility but so are all the other potential exposures you had from the time you left your house until you returned.

Dan

Very true.   IMO seating on the aircraft with everyone properly wearing a proper mask, is fine.   

I go the extra step of wiping everything down (have for several years now).   I find it Impossible to not touch your face.  

Yes, the OP took the risk to travel, and it is impossible to know exactly where they got the virus.    Did everyone wear a mask in Cancun, did they eat somewhere indoors with no mask, maybe the airport lounge,  maybe they removed their mask when they went to a bathroom in the airport or on the plane, who knows we all take a risk walking out our front doors everyday.    

Unfortunately, We all have seen those people who pull down their mask just a smidgen to expose their nostrils or they don't properly wear their mask and have to constantly pull it up and it slides down their face when they talk.     This seems to happen everywhere.     All it takes is One person

Again, the airlines need to practice social distancing in their cabin.     They should Not be filling up every seat on any flight.   They should go back to having the middle seat in economy empty.   Heck they should even skip passengers in every other row to be the proper social distance.   This is will be another reason why we will see an even bigger surge of covid after Thanksgiving.   

They now have the virus, and hopefully they will be okay.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

This is will be another reason why we will see an even bigger surge of covid after Thanksgiving.   

They now have the virus, and hopefully they will be okay.

Reminds me of the 2011 Movie "Contagion" where really peaked after Thanksgiving. Hopefully most will be safe over the Holiday. With many in person Colleges/schooling now closing more worried they'll bring CV home with them to Grandma...

50 minutes ago, ChC said:

Fun fact from Thailand, majority of recent positive cases came from passengers that have stayed in a state quarantine hotel and they only got tested positive after 10 days staying in the hotel, while they were all clear before their arriving. (Basically the suspected infection happens in the quarantine hotels).

Yes, all very good questions.     Not that I would call it Fun Fact, but Yes, if you are staying anywhere with shared ventilation system it is definitely possible to contract the virus unless they have a "special" hvac system.     I had read that motels that have their own individual heat/ac units were very popular with travelers the last couple of months.    

As a Canadian living and working in Mexico we have flew a couple of times.  We have flown on Aeromexico, United and Air Canada back and forth about 6 times during this pandemic.  We always wore masks and used lysol wipes at our seats in every plane.  All our trips had a layover either in Mexico City or Houston.

For work purposes I need to have a Covid test every 2 weeks.  On our last visit to Canada we participated in a travelling study to determine if 2 weeks of quarantine was necessary.  We have not contracted Covid.  Our biggest fears were an overnight stay in Houston and an 8 hour layover in Houston.  

We have not had a cold for almost a year now.  I think if you follow the recommendations of wearing a mask, being careful not to touch your face or eyes and wash your hands frequently, it would certainly help.  And the occasional tequila certainly can't be bad either.  Salute!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Magicat said:

As a Canadian living and working in Mexico we have flew a couple of times.  We have flown on Aeromexico, United and Air Canada back and forth about 6 times during this pandemic.  We always wore masks and used lysol wipes at our seats in every plane.  All our trips had a layover either in Mexico City or Houston.

For work purposes I need to have a Covid test every 2 weeks.  On our last visit to Canada we participated in a travelling study to determine if 2 weeks of quarantine was necessary.  We have not contracted Covid.  Our biggest fears were an overnight stay in Houston and an 8 hour layover in Houston.  

We have not had a cold for almost a year now.  I think if you follow the recommendations of wearing a mask, being careful not to touch your face or eyes and wash your hands frequently, it would certainly help.  And the occasional tequila certainly can't be bad either.  Salute!

Tequila kill everything. Where are you in Mexico. We are in Cabo and have not been there since February 

4 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

To each his/her own, but I prefer not to be drained at the start of my vacation.  Driving 1400 miles one way, either over multiple days or in one long 21+ hour drive doesn't appeal to me nearly as much as a 1 hour drive to the airport followed by a 2.5 hour flight.

Dan

Dont forget bathroom and pit stops where people may not have on their masks...

5 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

Three things have to go wrong for you to get infected on a flight...

1. There has to be a Covid-19 patient on board
  2. They have to be contagious
  3. Assuming they are wearing a mask, which is mandatory, the mask itself has to fail to prevent the transmission.

Add the fact that on the plane you are sitting in a finite area within proximity of maybe 10 people max within 6 feet of you, vs. crossing paths with 1000 cruisers over 4 days, I'd say you have 100X multiples more chance of getting infected on a cruise ship

you forgot number 4, That you are not wearing a mask yourself 

7 hours ago, voyager70 said:

We flew to Florida last month for a land vacation.  Three hour flight both ways.  Everyone wearing masks in airports and planes (it's mandatory).  Planes were thoroughly sanitised before and after flights (was explained the process by flight crew).  Air filtration systems replace onboard air every 2-3 minutes.  I wouldn't hesitate to fly again.  And I haven't heard of any Covid outbreaks resulting from flights.  And no, I don't work for the airlines or have any vested interest other than expressing my experience and opinion.

Yup, we have also flown during the pandemic without any problems.

2 hours ago, travelhound said:

Yup, we have also flown during the pandemic without any problems.

Here's the problem...

You get off an airplane and three days later test positive for COVID.  That will not be traced back to the flight.  We simply don't know the true statistics of COVID caught on an  airplane or in an airport.

• Like 2