New vaccine

hollyjess

8 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Good Morning Everyone.

Just an update from a besieged vaccine hub in London. Things that were running so well have all gone pear-shaped. The arrival of the mass vaccination sites has led to total confusion. Multiple patients are being invited by letter to book an appointment to have a jab they had 10 days ago. They think they're being invited for a second jab, we know they're not. Confusion reigns. We no longer have a clear idea of what drops of vaccine we can expect. On Sunday, loads of people arrived, uninvited, unexpected, demanding their vaccines NOW. Someone had posted on Facecloth that anyone could turn up to receive a jab (thanks for that)  and it all got very unpleasant. Those walking frames and sticks can do real damage let me tell you. Anyway, the upshot is that we have to employ a security guard for the forthcoming weekend. Never mind masks and face-shields, I'll be wearing a stab-vest and carrying a truncheon on Sunday! 

On a totally different topic I've decided I'm not going on my planned QE British Isles cruise (hopefully it will be cancelled and I'll get my deposit back) in June. I've been reading some of the posts and roll-calls on that site and decided I'll be like a fish out of water. I'm sticking to P&O and you guys from hereon.

Oh well, I'd better get on and sort out my protective clothing.

Have a great day everyone and Graham, once again, good luck for tomorrow.

Best wishes all.

Jane.x

Your updates are very interesting and most welcome Jane. Sounds like you are up against it but are, none the less, doing a fantastic job. I raised the issue of the confusion that the letters going out after jabs was causing ( as my elderly Mum had called me very confused by it) and, as often is the case, I was shot down by one or two other posters. Some people feel the need to comment on almost every post that others make! Doubtless, now that you have raised it, rather than me, some people may now appreciate the point that I was trying to make. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Good Morning Everyone.

Just an update from a besieged vaccine hub in London. Things that were running so well have all gone pear-shaped. The arrival of the mass vaccination sites has led to total confusion. Multiple patients are being invited by letter to book an appointment to have a jab they had 10 days ago. They think they're being invited for a second jab, we know they're not. Confusion reigns. We no longer have a clear idea of what drops of vaccine we can expect. On Sunday, loads of people arrived, uninvited, unexpected, demanding their vaccines NOW. Someone had posted on Facecloth that anyone could turn up to receive a jab (thanks for that)  and it all got very unpleasant. Those walking frames and sticks can do real damage let me tell you. Anyway, the upshot is that we have to employ a security guard for the forthcoming weekend. Never mind masks and face-shields, I'll be wearing a stab-vest and carrying a truncheon on Sunday! 

On a totally different topic I've decided I'm not going on my planned QE British Isles cruise (hopefully it will be cancelled and I'll get my deposit back) in June. I've been reading some of the posts and roll-calls on that site and decided I'll be like a fish out of water. I'm sticking to P&O and you guys from hereon.

Best wishes all.

Jane.x

Sorry to hear this.Similar happened where I live so security guard outside checking papers etc when I went on saturday and no unpleasantness and very efficient system once inside.Again situation arose after advertising 'slots' on facecloth and similar with links allowing multiple people to turn up.Only took a couple of days to sort so hope its a similar time length for you.Sorry to hear you have cancelled your Cunard cruise but does this mean there's more likelihood of you joining some of us in October??!!

17 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Thank you Jane, so sorry you have to face this. 

It all stems from confusion and worry, these people are scared and misled, but it's no excuse to make you feel threatened. 

What a mess we are all in... 

Good shout to stick with us degenerates, we are all good people at heart. 

Stay safe 

Andy 

Thanks Andy. You're spot-on. Confusion and worry, and, in some cases, desperation, all combined, lead people to behave in ways they wouldn't recognise in themselves. We are in a mess and rarely I'm findingit hard to see a way out. J.x

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Best wishes all.

Jane.x

Hi Jane

It's a shame you feel like that. I have been on QE twice and never felt that way. Is it because the boards are full of Americans or people talking about suites? If so, don't worry, the people in suites mainly keep to their own areas. Plebs like us are locked out. 🤣 As for our US cousins, if they are allowed to fly by June you will find most of them polite. On our Alaska QE cruise we only came across one loud one ( Americans were in the majority). The dress code is a bit stricter on non formal nights but I did see a lady in the MDR in slippers on a formal night. Our table in the MDR was quite  mixed, - librarian, bus driver, accountant, nurse, us and a couple we thought could be millionaires. 

Cathy 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ann141 said:

Sorry to hear this.Similar happened where I live so security guard outside checking papers etc when I went on saturday and no unpleasantness and very efficient system once inside.Again situation arose after advertising 'slots' on facecloth and similar with links allowing multiple people to turn up.Only took a couple of days to sort so hope its a similar time length for you.Sorry to hear you have cancelled your Cunard cruise but does this mean there's more likelihood of you joining some of us in October??!!

I wonder whether the facecloth issue was a deliberate attempt by anti-vaxxers etc to create confusion and problems?  Even if it was only a "prank" the posters should be dealt with by the appropriate authorities.  Malicious communication and all that.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

Hi Jane

It's a shame you feel like that. I have been on QE twice and never felt that way. Is it because the boards are full of Americans or people talking about suites? If so, don't worry, the people in suites mainly keep to their own areas. Plebs like us are locked out. 🤣 As for our US cousins, if they are allowed to fly by June you will find most of them polite. On our Alaska QE cruise we only came across one loud one ( Americans were in the majority). The dress code is a bit stricter on non formal nights but I did see a lady in the MDR in slippers on a formal night. Our table in the MDR was quite  mixed, - librarian, bus driver, accountant, nurse, us and a couple we thought could be millionaires. 

Cathy 

Agree,we did worldie segments on Aurora and QE,on consecutive years.There were probably more snobs on Aurora  I hate to admit.But worldies are not true representation of peeps anyway.Perhaps that ladies corns were playing up.

We thought QE might be stuck up and a bit snobby but to be honest we found it the opposite.  

Formal dress is strictly adhered to of course, but we found the atmosphere just lovely and came back totally relaxed.   Just found most people just joined in and enjoyed themselves.

• Like 1

Just now, indiana123 said:

We thought QE might be stuck up and a bit snobby but to be honest we found it the opposite.  

Formal dress is strictly adhered to of course, but we found the atmosphere just lovely and came back totally relaxed.   Just found most people just joined in and enjoyed themselves.

We found the same thing on QE, all cruise lines have cruise snobs which is no problem to a plain speaking Yorkshireman.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

I wonder whether the facecloth issue was a deliberate attempt by anti-vaxxers etc to create confusion and problems?  Even if it was only a "prank" the posters should be dealt with by the appropriate authorities.  Malicious communication and all that.

In our town I think it was mainly misunderstanding and susequently sharing posts that led to the confusion.Fortunately our MP helped sort it quickly

Edited by ann141
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Good Morning Everyone.

Best wishes all.

Jane.x

Very sorry to hear of your problems and thanks to everybody for persevering in your vital mission.
On the positive side though, at least it shows that some of the gullible and hard of thinking folk out there, actually want to have the jab despite the mind controlling microchips that some idiots want us to believe it contains. 🥴

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Beckett said:

Good Morning Everyone.

Best wishes all.

Jane.x

Thanks Jane.

Sorry to hear you are having to endure unpleasantness at the vaccine hub.

You are doing a wonderful job.

Take care and stay safe.

Graham.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beckett said:

Good Morning Everyone.

Best wishes all.

Jane.x

That, Jane, is a ridiculous and appalling situation on so many levels, but thanks for keeping us in the loop, and for your dedication to such literally vital work.

I hear rumours, from a reliable medical source, of a forthcoming potential two week hiatus in local vaccine supplies. I do hope the information is incorrect.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I hear rumours, from a reliable medical source, of a forthcoming potential two week hiatus in local vaccine supplies. I do hope the information is incorrect.

Is that across the country, Harry, or just in your area (perhaps because you're ahead of other parts of the country)?

2 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Is that across the country, Harry, or just in your area (perhaps because you're ahead of other parts of the country)?

Just locally, I understand, Annie, and the information may prove to be incorrect. I have no evidence, other than the conversation with an ‘insider’ friend.

I don’t think we’re ahead of the game though. They’ve just started on the 70+ cohort, but they haven’t yet fully covered all the 80+.

I’m in the 70+ category, and I imagine I’ll get a callup from the surgery this week, or maybe next.  There’s also the main NHS option, and I’ve just received the letter for that, but I think there’s a better chance of getting my wife vaccinated at the same time via the surgery. No great rush - a few days makes little difference.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Harry Peterson said:

Just locally, I understand, Annie, and the information may prove to be incorrect. I have no evidence, other than the conversation with an ‘insider’ friend.

I don’t think we’re ahead of the game though. They’ve just started on the 70+ cohort, but they haven’t yet fully covered all the 80+.

I’m in the 70+ category, and I imagine I’ll get a callup from the surgery this week, or maybe next.  There’s also the main NHS option, and I’ve just received the letter for that, but I think there’s a better chance of getting my wife vaccinated at the same time via the surgery. No great rush - a few days makes little difference.

Thanks, Harry - like you, I hope the information is wrong.

Fingers crossed that you get vaccinated very soon, along with the fragrant Mrs P. There was an excellent question from a member of the public at yesterday's press conference regarding unpaid carers being in a much lower category for the jab than paid ones; pity that anomaly can't be rectified - they all waffled on about how important unpaid carers were, but didn't actually come up with the very easy solution. I would happily wait an extra week or so while people like your wife were vaccinated.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

A GP friend told me that often they only get short notice of delivery of vaccines and this was probably the case for me as I had had a routine GP appointment last wednesday and she told me they were only supplying 3000 jabs that week compared to 10000 the previous week.  I was surprised to receive a text friday afternoon to have my jab on saturday.Apparently at that venue (local theatre, not a huge hub) they vaccinated just under 3000 people just on the saturday so supplies must have arrived without much notice.I was very grateful 🙂 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I thought your compromised immune system would have problems with the vaccine Harry, have things changed?

3 hours ago, Beckett said:

loads of people arrived, uninvited, unexpected, demanding their vaccines NOW. Someone had posted on Facecloth that anyone could turn up to receive a jab (thanks for that)  and it all got very unpleasant.

2 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Maybe you should have given them a right Jab and told them to come back for the left one in a few weeks time .:classic_unsure:

Joking apart there are some weirdo's out there if they consider their prank funny, or even worse it was a malicious blatant attempt to disrupt the vaccine program ,that is sick and they need tracking down . Keep up the good work Jane and practice that right hook/jab a bit more :classic_wink:

Most of of all , Keep safe :classic_smile:

Edited by kalos

19 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I thought your compromised immune system would have problems with the vaccine Harry, have things changed?

No change, John - and no problems for most people with a compromised immune system, fortunately.  

The only doubt is how effective it is, but it's certainly, in my view, better to have it than not.

This might be of interest to others in a similar position - it's an extract from, and link to, the pamphlet that accompanies the NHS vaccine appointment booking letter entitled 'Covid-19 vaccination, a guide for older adults:

"Who cannot have the vaccine?

The vaccines do not contain living organisms, and so are safe for people with disorders of the immune system. These people may not respond so well to the vaccine. A very small number of people who are at risk of COVID-19 cannot have the vaccine – this includes people who have severe allergies. Women of childbearing age, those who are pregnant or breastfeeding should read the detailed information on www.nhs.uk/covidvaccination."

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/951753/PHE_COVID-19_vaccination_guide_for_older_adults_English_v2.pdf

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Chrisdriving said:

The good news, if there is any, is the Kent variant seems to be mutating in the same way as the South African and Brazilian variants. This means it should be easier to modify the vaccines if needed