Vaccine side effects & allergies

Ombud

Supposedly people with allergies should not take vaccines. Does that include those with food allergies? I have a heightened sensitivity with capsaicin (throat swells up / difficulty breathing). Princess always handles my issue quite easily ..... wondering if I will still be allowed onboard IF I need to be vaccinated 

https://www-bbc-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/health-55244122?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#csi=1&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.com%2Fnews%2Fhealth-55244122

3 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Supposedly people with allergies should not take vaccines. Does that include those with food allergies? I have a heightened sensitivity with capsaicin (throat swells up / difficulty breathing). Princess always handles my issue quite easily ..... wondering if I will still be allowed onboard IF I need to be vaccinated 

https://www-bbc-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/health-55244122?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#csi=1&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.com%2Fnews%2Fhealth-55244122

I would think the best and most reliable answer regarding vaccinations will come from your primary care physician, who is familiar with your specific health conditions. He or She is the one to ask, not members of a cruise forum.

As of now there is no guidance as to whether vaccines will or will not be mandatory to sail, and it may vary by the countries visited on your trip. 

• Like 5

Hopefully other vaccines won't have this issue as I am not the only one who will wonder. There are a few other vaccines I don't get (I'm not an anti-vaxer) and of course my MD will let me know. 

I carry benadryl not an epi pen as my throat swells but has never closed completely 

Some medical opinions here...

"MHRA chief Raine told lawmakers such allergic reactions had not been a feature of the Pfizer’s clinical trials.

Pfizer has said people with a history of severe adverse allergic reactions to vaccines or the candidate’s ingredients were excluded from their late stage trials, which is reflected in the MHRA’s emergency approval protocol."

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-britain-vaccine/uk-warns-people-with-serious-allergies-to-avoid-pfizer-vaccine-idUSKBN28J1D1

3 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Do you have to carry an epi pen?

After today’s two cases in the UK, this seems to be the deciding factor as both patience had allergies so bad they carry their own epi pen.

Of course, the only thing you can do with two data points is draw a line between them. Would assume that allergic sub group will be added to additional test being done.

We are identifying many subgroups as we have Countries that have either started, or close to starting, administrating the first vaccines.

Guess that is why they want to administer at a medical facility first, just in case.

Early days yet.  No doubt the teams are looking at this issue.   I think it would premature to arrive at any solid conclusion about the vaccine and those with allergies.   It would seem that if one has to carry an epi pen one needs to consult.   

I am allergic to one or two foods.  As are millions of other people whether they know it or not.  I do not think that this will impact my decision to take the vaccine.

14 minutes ago, iancal said:

Early days yet.  No doubt the teams are looking at this issue.   I think it would premature to arrive at any solid conclusion about the vaccine and those with allergies.   It would seem that if one has to carry an epi pen one needs to consult.   

I am allergic to one or two foods.  As are millions of other people whether they know it or not.  I do not think that this will impact my decision to take the vaccine.

I'm in the same boat (no pun intended) as you, but will not hesitate to take the vaccine.  Truth be told, if people actually read all the side effects associated with every drug they take, no one would ever take them for fear of bleeding eyes, rashes, hair loss, skin discolor, shortness of breathe, stomach pains, etc...  It's unreal all the listed side effects because it's required for all potential effects to be listed, even if they were not directly related to the drug...but couldn't be ruled out. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Ombud said:

I am not sure if it makes you feel any better.

You said “Supposedly people with allergies should not take vaccines”.

the article that you attached is not in reference to “vaccines”, just the one currently released in some locations.

The vaccine has not proved to be safe or effective yet. It takes months and years to collect this kind of data. I will hold off taking the vaccine for at least 6 months. I do not have a cruise booked in the next six months so that won't effect my decision.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

The vaccine has not proved to be safe or effective yet. It takes months and years to collect this kind of data. I will hold off taking the vaccine for at least 6 months. I do not have a cruise booked in the next six months so that won't effect my decision.

That is absolute nonsense.  What the drug trials showed is that not a single participant in either the Pfizer or Moderna trials (we are talking over 60,000 souls half of whom got the vaccines) died.  It also showed that out of the more then 30,000 vaccine recipients less then 5% developed any symptoms from COVID (i.e. they did not get sick).  That is pretty good proof and has already satisfied the expert committees and reviewers in the UK, Canada, and will likely past muster here in the USA in the next few days.  

So, assuming you could get one of those vaccines today (that is not going to happen) how would that risk compare to NOT getting a vaccine.  Depending on your own risk factors that varies but you would face the possibility of COVID and death, serious morbidities, etc.  By waiting "at least 6 months" you simply increase the odds that you will contract COVID.  So folks are going to need to weigh the risks of COVID against the risks of vaccines that have undergone pretty rigorous testing.  Or course we could  let them test vaccines another 4 years (this would be pretty normal) during which time 10s of millions of folks would likely die or suffer major morbidities.  Which is the best choice?

Hank

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

We don't plan to take the vaccine until 12 to 18 months after they have done a most people.

We would only take the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines. The others use a Agevant Agent that is know to be problematic. In the 1970"s the Swine flu vaccine used an Agevant Agent . They pulled it off the market because a large percentage (5% large for a vaccine) ended up on a ventilator . My wife's was one who got the vaccine and ended up on a ward with other on a ventilator because of the vaccine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iancal said:

When asked if I have any allergies, I always reply, "Not that I am aware of.'

DW once discovered on one of our cruises that she was allergic to the drug that had been prescribed for her after the dental surgery she had had just before the cruise.

11 minutes ago, Kamloops50 said:

We don't plan to take the vaccine until 12 to 18 months after they have done a most people.

We would only take the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines. The others use a Agevant Agent that is know to be problematic. In the 1970"s the Swine flu vaccine used an Agevant Agent . They pulled it off the market because a large percentage (5% large for a vaccine) ended up on a ventilator . My wife's was one who got the vaccine and ended up on a ward with other on a ventilator because of the vaccine.

All US military at that time got the Swine Flu vaccine, as did their families, and we got it again for several years after the initial release.  I really hated those guns they used for the shots - always got a large bruise.  Speculation at the time was the virus was a potential bioagent.

Slight flu symptoms were common in those days due to use of live virus.  More severe symptoms were rare.  Technology is far different now.  After my military experience in 70s and 80s our family has gotten flu shots every year since.  Normally the allergy warning is for egg allergies.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LeeW said:

All US military at that time got the Swine Flu vaccine, as did their families, and we got it again for several years after the initial release.  I really hated those guns they used for the shots - always got a large bruise.  Speculation at the time was the virus was a potential bioagent.

Slight flu symptoms were common in those days due to use of live virus.  More severe symptoms were rare.  Technology is far different now.  After my military experience in 70s and 80s our family has gotten flu shots every year since.  Normally the allergy warning is for egg allergies.

The Government reaction to the flu in 1976 when the soldier died at Ft Dix was a panic brought on because they thought it was a strain similar to the 1918 Spanish Flu that killed 500,000 Americans.  They feared a million deaths.  There were over 45 million people vaccinated and the only real issue were the 450 or so people later diagnosed with Guillain-Barre syndrome, a rare neurological disorder.  Fortunately, the strain was not as bad as expected and the Government learned a lot about mass vaccinations.  The fear some have about vaccinations probably started then.

I've been in the Janssen (Johnson & Johnson) trial.  I've had absolutely no reaction whatsoever and I usually get a red, raised, hot welt any time I get a flu shot.  I could've gotten a placebo though too.  It's a double-blind study so no one knows but the scientists.  

BTW love the Russian shot joke above!!!  😁

• Like 2

Maybe the best plan involves not getting medical advice on a cruise forum or any other social media platform. 

Unbelievable that we live in a world with people who will believe whatever they read on social media, but all the doctors and scientists are idiots who are trying to control them or take away their freedoms.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

As always it is best to ask these questions of your personal physician. It may be possible to take the shots in their offices so they can watch you for reaction. That has actually been proposed by Dr Bright of the Covid transition team

1 hour ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

I've been in the Janssen (Johnson & Johnson) trial.  I've had absolutely no reaction whatsoever and I usually get a red, raised, hot welt any time I get a flu shot.  I could've gotten a placebo though too.  It's a double-blind study so no one knows but the scientists.  

BTW love the Russian shot joke above!!!  😁

Saw couple on news who were in trial.  They also went and had antibodies test. Lady has antibodies, man had none. 

6 hours ago, LeeW said:

My wife's worked for the US Military in Bedford Mass during that period. He got the swine flu vaccine and within 72 hours he was put on a ventilator .

For those who do not want to take the vaccine please stay away from all the healthy people as you might be a walking time bomber for yourself and others.  For months we have been told to believe the medical experts. Now that a vaccine is available some of the same people will ignore the experts. Live life and hope you prosper. Doubt it but it is your choice .

• Like 4