vaccines and cruising

Coco54

3 minutes ago, Roz said:

Is it, in fact, free?  I haven't been able to schedule an appt. yet, but friends, family, and co-workers who have told me they needed to show an insurance card.

The shot is free. Insurence will pay the provider an administration fee for administering the shot if you have insurance. That is why they ask for it. If you don't provide a card or have don't have insurance you won't have to pay and they will still give you the shot.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Charles4515 said:

Is it, in fact, free? 

I have heard of no one paying a fee.  I am uninsured (actually self-insured) and I did not pay a fee.  Right now the only vaccines in the USA are government purchased and provided vaccines.  The government pays for the vaccine, the storage facility and more, anyone asking for payment should be reported to your governor's office.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Roz said:

Is it, in fact, free?  I haven't been able to schedule an appt. yet, but friends, family, and co-workers who have told me they needed to show an insurance card.

We did not at a county clinic. Where did these people allegedly have to show an insurance card? My understanding is that the federal government has bought and paid for all these vaccinations.

2 hours ago, Roz said:

For now, with distribution limited to those over 65 (still 75 in some areas) the presumption is that everyone receiving it is covered.  We were not asked to show anything - and I have read that private (not City, County, State or Federal) agencies MIGHT charge an administration fee.  

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I have heard of no one paying a fee.  I am uninsured (actually self-insured) and I did not pay a fee.  Right now the only vaccines in the USA are government purchased and provided vaccines.  The government pays for the vaccine, the storage facility and more, anyone asking for payment should be reported to your governor's office.  

Roz said that not me. Please don't cut and paste someone elses words and attribute them to me.

Edited by Charles4515

1 hour ago, Roz said:

The two instances I'm personally familiar with involved the Rite Aid pharmacy and Vanderbilt Medical Center.  

I will try to explain this to you again.There is an administration fee. Someone pays for the facility and the worker giving the vaccine.  If you have insurance it is charged to your insurance. If you don''t have insurance it is charged to a Provider Relief Fund. Individuals pay no fee and none can be refused. In the end whether that goes through your insurance or the relief fund US taxpayers are paying the cost. The insurer or the relief fund will get reimbursed by the US government.

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Roz said:

@Charles4515, I understand what you're saying.  I'm not stupid and there was no need to explain things to me again.  I get it.  I was merely responding to others' posts.

I am replying more for the general audience. We should not want anyone reading here to think they have to have insurance to get vaccinated. They might think that because some providers are asking for insurance cards.

• Like 2

Entities administering the vaccine in the US are allowed to charge an administration fee that is not billable to the patient.

For Medicare patients:  (https://www.cms.gov/medicare/covid-19/medicare-covid-19-vaccine-shot-payment)

Medicare payment rates for COVID-19 vaccine administration will be $28.39 to administer single-dose vaccines. For a COVID-19 vaccine requiring a series of 2 or more doses, the initial dose(s) administration payment rate will be $16.94, and $28.39 for the administration of the final dose in the series. These rates recognize the costs involved in administering the vaccine, including the additional resources involved with required public health reporting, conducting important outreach and patient education, and spending additional time with patients answering any questions they may have about the vaccine. These rates will also be geographically adjusted.

People with Medicare pay nothing for COVID-19 shots:

• No copayment/coinsurance
  • No deductible

For patients with private insurance: (https://www.aarp.org/health/conditions-treatments/info-2021/covid-vaccine-costs.html)

During this public health emergency, most private health insurance plans will be required to cover all the costs of a COVID-19 vaccine.

You still shouldn't have to pay a copay, coinsurance or any other fee to get the vaccine. And that applies even if you go to an out-of-network provider. Whoever is giving you the vaccine — even someone at a pharmacy — needs your insurance information so they can be reimbursed by your plan for putting the shot in your arm.

For uninsured and Medicaid patients: (https://www.aarp.org/health/conditions-treatments/info-2021/covid-vaccine-costs.html)

Even if you do not have health insurance you can get a COVID-19 vaccine for free. As part of the CARES Act coronavirus legislation signed into law last March, providers who administer a COVID-19 vaccine to someone who is uninsured will be reimbursed as part of a provider relief fund the law created. The same applies to Medicaid beneficiaries. The relief fund will also pay providers who inoculate Medicaid recipients who have limited Medicaid benefits that do not cover vaccines.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pris993 said:

If I want to travel, I either accept or stay home... I prefer to travel as soon as I can.   Staying home gets after a while.  LOL

So you'll cruise whether you trust them or not? Okay.

11 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I will try to explain this to you again.There is an administration fee. Someone pays for the facility and the worker giving the vaccine.  If you have insurance it is charged to your insurance. If you don''t have insurance it is charged to a Provider Relief Fund. Individuals pay no fee and none can be refused. In the end whether that goes through your insurance or the relief fund US taxpayers are paying the cost. The insurer or the relief fund will get reimbursed by the US government.

That "fee" is actually covered by the federal government.  In Florida the original form for signing release included a statement of the possibility of a fee - its Florida...  However, that statement was crossed out by workers at the vaccination sites for both Pfizer One and Two.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

That "fee" is actually covered by the federal government.  In Florida the original form for signing release included a statement of the possibility of a fee - its Florida...  However, that statement was crossed out by workers at the vaccination sites for both Pfizer One and Two.

I like your "its Florida" comment!

The fee is not billable to the patient.  For Medicare, Medicaid and uninsured patients the fee is covered by the government.  Private insurance is required to pay for it.  See my post #61. 

We received our Pfizer shots at the site run by Broward (County, Florida) Health, one of the 10 largest public health systems in the U.S.  They asked if we had private insurance (we do) and took all the information when scheduling the appointment and then at our first appointment we had to show them our insurance card.  We didn't need to provide it for the second dose because it was in their database.  A friend is getting her first dose tomorrow at a Publix pharmacy in Palm Beach County.  They asked for her Medicare information when scheduling her appointment.

19 hours ago, pris993 said:

cruises lines and airlines are following govt regulations, so what is the difference?

19 hours ago, clo said:

That you trust them.

11 hours ago, pris993 said:

If I want to travel, I either accept or stay home... I prefer to travel as soon as I can.   Staying home gets after a while.  LOL

11 hours ago, clo said:

So you'll cruise whether you trust them or not? Okay.

What is this obsession with trust now that it is established there will be regulations and they will be followed to sail? Without regulations, everyone was punting on an ever-changing playing field this year.

I don’t have to “trust” that my car manufacturer has included safety requirements in order to buy a car.

I don’t think you would enjoy a cruise any time in the next couple of years because of the stress it would cause you. Better to enjoy one’s vacations even though some of us (me) feel the need to return soon or we will be beyond vacation capability (age 🙂)

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

I don’t have to “trust” that my car manufacturer has included safety requirements in order to buy a car.

Excellent example. We had a nightmare experience with GMC over a warranty issue. We'll never buy another of their vehicles. It was an ethical issue and they failed. It seems to me that an awful lot of cruise lines haven't been the best 'partners' in the last year. So until they have some track record of doing the right thing rather than just saying they will, I'm going to watch for some date. We have a cruise set for 3rd quarter 2022. We'll see.

3 hours ago, capriccio said:

The fee is not billable to the patient.  For Medicare, Medicaid and uninsured patients the fee is covered by the government.  Private insurance is required to pay for it.  See my post #61. 

We received our Pfizer shots at the site run by Broward (County, Florida) Health, one of the 10 largest public health systems in the U.S.  They asked if we had private insurance (we do) and took all the information when scheduling the appointment and then at our first appointment we had to show them our insurance card.  We didn't need to provide it for the second dose because it was in their database.  A friend is getting her first dose tomorrow at a Publix pharmacy in Palm Beach County.  They asked for her Medicare information when scheduling her appointment.

We received our first Moderna shots at a county health clinic in NY State. We were never asked for insurance cards. (Maybe they should have if they would have been reimbursed by our insurance, and for others from either private insurance or the federal government.) One year when I got my annual flu shot it was from the county, and I was asked for my insurance card, but when I asked they said they really did not expect to get reimbursed.

On 2/13/2021 at 10:40 AM, Coco54 said:

I never got a survey from cruise critic on this topic.  I am seeing like 81% in favor of mandatory vaccines?!!!  Nope.  I do not agree.  It should be like a flu shot.  It's your body people, we don't need this type of control over us.  I just got over Covid virus. I am 69.  My husband and I both had it. Like a really bad flu, but I can understand anyone with underlying problems could be worse, as they would would other flus or diseases.  Did you all get this survey, or is this the media trying to lie and put what they want us to see out there?  I love to travel, but THIS vaccine is really stepping way out of line.  Just like us.  We just had the virus.  We are naturally immune.  I refuse to go take the vaccine (which does not prevent you from getting the virus), when I am already immune.  Why would I do that?  People need to start doing their own research, and stop listening blindly to the media.  It's not an easy task, with main stream media, social media pulling any info off they don't want you to see.  Use your own judgement after reading all the facts people!

agree with you 100%.  Finally someone who gets it.  I'm not getting any vaccine that took 5 months.

14 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Fascinating that we've gotten to the place where if the government pays for something it is thereby "free".  TANSTAAFL is, and always will, be just as certain as death and taxes.

By "free" they mean covered by those who pay taxes.  Everyone knows this. Not something to lose sleep over.   And I suppose for that large segment of our society that is poor, it is free to them.  As it should be. 

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

By "free" they mean covered by those who pay taxes.  Everyone knows this. Not something to lose sleep over.   And I suppose for that large segment of our society that is poor, it is free to them.  As it should be. 

It is your taxes going to the right thing for once😉

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, ontheweb said:

We did not at a county clinic. Where did these people allegedly have to show an insurance card? My understanding is that the federal government has bought and paid for all these vaccinations.

We received ours at one of our local hospitals. On Saturday I received a statement from the hospital stating that we owe roughly $17 each; I think this may be for the first injection only. I can't tell from the statement whether they billed our insurance (there is a line item stating $0 received from insurance). However, because our primary insurance is supposed to bill to Medicare after making their payment, I believe it will be covered at 100%. Our hospitals tend to bill immediately after services and I think (and am hoping) that this is just the beginning process in the billing.

8 hours ago, capriccio said:

Live in Pasco County and they wanted to insurance data to register on line for an appointment.  Drove over to Lake County where is was first come, first served and their form had the insurance information request crossed out...  Tallahassee has no idea of what it's doing and has left everything up to the counties.  But then, what do we expect...