Is Aqua Class worth it?

johnasmith99

We are looking at Dec 5, 2021 on the Edge.  I see we would get unlimited access to the Thermal Suite and the Blu Restaurant with Aqua Class.  Our choice would be an Infinite Balcony cabin.  The upcharge to Aqua, in our case, is almost $1,100 total.  We would likely use the Thermal Suite once just for the experience.  We can do that for $69 each so $138 total for a day pass.  Blu sounds awesome but for another $900?  Is there anything else that would justify that extra cost?  We can afford it, and would do it, but we still feel compelled to justify it.  Can you help me with that? 😊   BTW, we have never sailed on Celebrity but are Elite due to our RCCL Diamond status.  Thanks all.

2 minutes ago, johnasmith99 said:

We are looking at Dec 5, 2021 on the Edge.  I see we would get unlimited access to the Thermal Suite and the Blu Restaurant with Aqua Class.  Our choice would be an Infinite Balcony cabin.  The upcharge to Aqua, in our case, is almost $1,100 total.  We would likely use the Thermal Suite once just for the experience.  We can do that for $69 each so $138 total for a day pass.  Blu sounds awesome but for another $900?  Is there anything else that would justify that extra cost?  We can afford it, and would do it, but we still feel compelled to justify it.  Can you help me with that? 😊   BTW, we have never sailed on Celebrity but are Elite due to our RCCL Diamond status.  Thanks all.

In my opinion no.  First cabins are infinite balcony which we didn’t like.  Also blu was located off a busy hallway and some tables are abutting the hallway.  Not a fan of the Aqua spa facilities.  iMO, would rather book a regular balcony with anytime dining, as the anytime dining rooms are fabulous like specialty restaurants.  Also with saved money you can try a few specialty restaurants.  Enjoy

• Like 2

Can't speak to the Edge but we enjoy Aqua class very much.  Having access to the Blu for breakfast and dinner is top on our list - it's very quiet dining and you can still request food off the main dining if you prefer.   In addition we enjoy the location on the upper decks and not noisey at all and access to the spa anytime we want - and we do like the spa. We will continue to book the Aqua class. For what it is worth you have earlier boarding time.  Not sure that applies with any new restrictions they may apply for the future.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Hygge! said:

Can't speak to the Edge but we enjoy Aqua class very much.  Having access to the Blu for breakfast and dinner is top on our list - it's very quiet dining and you can still request food off the main dining if you prefer.   In addition we enjoy the location on the upper decks and not noisey at all and access to the spa anytime we want - and we do like the spa. We will continue to book the Aqua class. For what it is worth you have earlier boarding time.  Not sure that applies with any new restrictions they may apply for the future.  

Totally agree with you. Having all those extra privileges' is exactly what I enjoy in these Aqua classes. In any case, everyone should choose what he likes the most and just keep up with it for as long as he or she wants  

We have not sailed Edge, but our experience in AQ on S class ships has been worth every penny.

We enjoy Blu for both breakfast and dinner. Enjoying time in the spa's Persian Gardens is a big part of my pre-dinner routine.

Not sure we would enjoy the IV cabins, so should we elect to cruise on a E class ship, we would most likely opt for a suite.

• Like 1

If you only plan to use the Thermal Suite one time, then Blu is the main advantage. The smaller four (4) main dining room  layout on Edge is one of the best changes Celebrity implemented on E Class ships. The additional CC Points probably don’t mean much if you already have Elite status. 

My recommendation would be to check out the Sunset Veranda cabins where you get a true balcony and use the savings for a couple of Specialty Restaurants or upgrading the Classic to Premium drink package. As an FYI - Sunset Verandas sell out quickly and do cost a decent amount more than an Infinite Veranda. The best SV Cabins are the 2 in the middle of the ship on Decks 7,8,9,10

We would say yes AQ is worth for Blu on the M & S class ships BUT NOT on the Edge.

We do not like the MDR on most any ship,  but the Edge has 4 different MDRs meaning not so noisy and chaotic.  Each of the 4 MDRs serve the same daily changing menu but each has their own 3 specialties that are the same each day.  If you choose Select dining ( Anytime) you can try them all.  

We were on the Edge AQ and it was very good but the next Edge cruise we booked we chose a Sunset veranda and saved $$  vs AQ

• Like 1

Our last Celebrity cruises prior to the Pandemic were back-to-back 12 nighters in Northern Europe on Reflection...For a variety of reasons, the first was in a Concierge cabin (which we often do when we can snag one with minimal price difference between that and a standard Balcony) and the second in Aqua Class...

The main difference, as you point out, is Blu restaurant...

Now, for those who just don't like the main dining room, for whatever reasons, Blu can be a big plus.  I don't buy that the food is any healthier...or that always getting a table for two is a big deal (the tables were so close together that you might as well have been at a table for eight)...but it IS easier to not have to make reservations or stand on line if you show up at a popular hour.  We always got seated immediately and we always ate dinner between 7:00 and 7:30...And the room is quite a bit smaller and more intimate.  

OTOH, after 12 nights in the MDR--where we had made reservations for each night and always got seated in the same area with the same waiters--and most of the next cruise in Blu, my wife really wanted to go back to the MDR for the last couple of nights--and asked for our prior waiters--which we got...

Also, our Concierge cabin, midship on the "slant" with the oversized balcony and with residential floors above and below was way better than our standard Aqua class cabin...

So, if you ask me, it is NOT worth paying another $1100 or anywhere close.  If the price difference was minimal, we might do it again...but at the differentials we've seen, not for us.

We usually cruise in AQ if the price point is under $30/day pp on the S class and $25 on the M.

There are some perks that are nice but not worth much more than stated for us.  

We did AQ on the Edge as it wasn’t much more than a regular IV and gave extra perks at that time plus the extra OBC.   We didn’t find the Spa of much use.   The sun always beat down 9n the loungers and the rooms were rather boring to nothing.   Sitting in a room with a salt stone didn’t do anything for me.

I would say keep your money and book a regular IV or veranda.   

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

4 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

In my opinion no.  First cabins are infinite balcony which we didn’t like.  Also blu was located off a busy hallway and some tables are abutting the hallway.  Not a fan of the Aqua spa facilities.  iMO, would rather book a regular balcony with anytime dining, as the anytime dining rooms are fabulous like specialty restaurants.  Also with saved money you can try a few specialty restaurants.  Enjoy

Agree 100%

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, cl.klink said:

In what sense are they a poor location?

- Joel

I like the location. Since we do a lot of trans-Atlantics with many sea days, that stairway up to the gym and the open decks are nice for early morning deck jog and afternoon work-out.

17 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Most are underneath heavily traveled areas such as the pool deck.  There are some exceptions but they are usually booked first.

You can get a aft cabin on most decks.  Also if you don’t want a sky suite, a good cost effective option is a cove balcony.  More like a regular balcony.

52 minutes ago, cl.klink said:

In what sense are they a poor location?

- Joel

Aq cabins on EDGE ..most okay..stay away from being close to the bump outs that block views ( see deck plans)

Location of BLU is  out of the way,.on the passage to EDEN

Poor acoustics  at busy times and NO  sea view whatsoever.

They counted outdoor tables to set occupancy but those tables are not in a good spot and  rarely if ever used,,,so  more crowded inside,

We are long time AQ  lovers  but on EDGE we loved the SV and 4 mdr plan.. Cabins are larger with awesome outside balcs.. great aft views!

Would I pay $1100 to upgrade to Aqua?  Absolutely not.  We love Boy especially on M Class ships, but would say worth a maximum of about half that.  On Apex or Edge with smaller dining rooms Definately no.  Blu is in an ackward setting.

As to Captain's Club points.  Once one is Elite not much extra value anymore.

And any other ship I would say yes. We are big fans of Aqua. Mainly because of the smaller and quieter restaurant.

On Edge, however, the new four dining room concept is so fabulous that we did not miss Blu.

So unless you are planning to spend a lot of time in the spa, I wouldn’t pay the higher price.

Like many of the replies, we enjoyed AQ on both the M  & S class ships.  It's worth it there for only a few $$ more than Concierge because we appreciated the view and quietness vs the large two deck MDR.  We have not sailed Edge yet but chose a Sky suite for Luminae after reading many reviews for Edge's Blu.  But you will get a bottle of water in AQ the first night if they haven't changed that even though the AI now includes all the bottled water you desire if you go get it. LOL

Pre-Covid I would have suggested upgrading to a Sky Suite for the Retreat and Luminae but I suspect the increased fares have gone through the roof.  Our suite booked last June more than doubled in cost once they switched to AI and had the backlog of cancelled cruise FCC fighting for fewer available cabins.

I agree with those that suggest the SV is the better choice, if still available, to spend the savings on Specialty restaurants if you get tired of the four MDR restaurants.  The menus I saw online look very good in those as if they're specialty restaurants too. Plus the real balcony overlooking a wonderful aft, wake view can't be matched on port or starboard.

8 hours ago, jelayne said:

On the Edge AQ are on decks 9 & 10 with cabins above & below, location is just fine.

Sorry about that, you're correct.   I reacted to the title and didn't carefully read the first sentence in the post.  Moving the AQ class away from less desirable locations is one of the improvements that they made on the E-class ships.  Now you can pay extra in Concierge class to be under the pool deck on the E-class ships.  🤔