The Daily for Monday Mar 08, 2021

richwmn

Just now, Himself said:

Rich:  Thank you for the Daily Fleet report. I will try NOT to br nasty today or any other day.  I like Roy's alternative meal, perhaps because i love ham.  Thanks to all conributors and readers of the daily.  i am happy toreport a lot of the snow has melted away.  Have a good week everyone.  It was good to see the Nieuw Statendam in Fort Lauderdale this weekend.

• Like 4

Our snow is rapidly disappearing and the ice on the lake is starting to look a little soft. It might hit 60 today and 70+ tomorrow. However, I am sure we will get at least one more big snowstorm. I cannot recall a March in Minnesota without a March blizzard (or two)! 

I am itching to get out into the gardens, especially since I don't really know what all is planted at our new house. But it is way too early! 

So here are a couple of orchids from Hilo instead -

2050448218_DSC_0234(3).thumb.JPG.663bba382485742363cafafa525ca7f8.JPG

1514226512_DSC_0239(2).thumb.JPG.4c2da9dc637ef1b6d4c5af36e670ebe5.JPG

• Like 28

Good Morning Everyone from a cloudy and cool day at the beach.

I cant imagine a day for being nasty! That is  Nasty! 

I salute all the wonderful women in my life .  My MIL was a pilot delivering planes in WW2. The stories she used to tell us were amazing and terrifying. 

A special salute to all the Commonwealths. 

Never been to the port. Even though I have been to many places, I am beginning to feel quite sheltered as I have only been to 1 port of the day so far!

Roy-  Best of Luck with the test tomorrow. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. 

Stay safe

Charlene

• Like 20

17 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Love your quote today! When I was at the market yesterday I was so happy to see our brand of toilet paper back on the shelves.

As I mentioned in today's sunrise post a year ago today I saw Come From Away in Melbourne.  There's a passage where the effort to prepare the shelters has a local reporter coordination donations to the shelters to prepare for the refugee onslaught.

"Oh, and the Lions Club could use some toilet paper if you have any extra."

And a little bit later:

"For the love of God, stop bringing toilet paper to the Lions Club".

Both of those lines got special enthusiastic reactions.

Roy

• Like 16
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

We watched HAL crew members out at the dock trying to hurry folks along so we could leave.  As soon as we moved away from the pier the other ship slipped right into our spot.  We sailed out further to the edge of the harbor and anchored, and the port agent brought passengers who were left behind out to us on the pilot boat while we were at dinner!  Can you imagine their panic when they saw the Prinsendam was gone? 

I wonder how often that happened with the Prinsendam.  It happened (sort of) to me in Foynes, Ireland.  The port is 20 miles up the River Shannon.  As the time to leave started to approach there were a number of people still out on tours.  There was a current in the river and the pilots had told Captain Tim we needed to leave a half hour early before the tides changed.  Some tours had already left when the announcement came and they apparently couldn't be contact.  Then the drop dead time they were not yet back and the shorex manager quickly got off.  I think as the passengers arrived they could see us leaving.  We ended up going a couple miles downstream to an anchor place, then sent a tender or 2 back to retrieve them.

Roy

• Like 22

Cheers  for International Women's Day  and  Commonwealth Day. I  think  most  people  try  not  to  be  nasty. Thanks  for  the  recipe,it  looks  like  a  keeper  and  the port  of  the  day  is  certainly  beautiful.

I  am  embarrassed  to  say  I  have  yet  to  figure  out  how  to  post  a  picture. It  took  me  ages  to  figure  out  how  to  do  the  quote  thing. I  guess  I  am  one who  relies  too  readily  on  adult  children  for  tech  support.  If  there  ever  is  a  port  I  have  been  to, I  will  happily  post  pictures.  That  is  a  promise!       Terry

• Like 20

Good morning everyone. Thank you for the daily Rich and Roy, and good luck tomorrow Roy with the scan.

Being nasty is something I don’t want to celebrate, but I will celebrate all the wonderful women who have made an impact on my life.

Still waiting for results from all the tests for DH and myself last week.

Stay safe everyone.

Carol

• Like 22

22 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I wonder how often that happened with the Prinsendam.  It happened (sort of) to me in Foynes, Ireland.  The port is 20 miles up the River Shannon.  As the time to leave started to approach there were a number of people still out on tours.  There was a current in the river and the pilots had told Captain Tim we needed to leave a half hour early before the tides changed.  Some tours had already left when the announcement came and they apparently couldn't be contact.  Then the drop dead time they were not yet back and the shorex manager quickly got off.  I think as the passengers arrived they could see us leaving.  We ended up going a couple miles downstream to an anchor place, then sent a tender or 2 back to retrieve them.

Roy

It didn’t just happen with the Prinsendam - happened to N Amsterdam.  When we were in Monaco, Prinsendam was docked and N Amsterdam at tender.  N Amsterdam coudn’t hold and had to leave.

All the N Amsterdam passengers that were on shore returned to the Prinsendam (talk about a full ship 😉 ) until the N Amsterdam could safely return and then they were tendered back to the N Amsterdam.

• Like 17

Good morning all!

I will join @summer slopeand be nasty only to the weeds in my garden. 🙂 

But cheers to International Women Day and Commonwealth Day.

I have not been to Hammerfest (yet) but it's one of the ports on our Cape Horn cruise in July '22.  Thank you so much for the photos @StLouisCruisers!  It looks like an easy DIY port, no tour necessary (?)

So far I've been to 3 of the 7 ports (DH reminded me we have in fact been to Grand Cayman, in 2017).  Shows how much an impression it made on me (!) The Caribbean isn't my favorite cruise destination... We went to some gardens and to the Hard Rock Cafe.

Today is supposed to be sunny and mid 50's after a heavy frost this morning.  I'm just taking it easy after having the boys here, oh my gosh the energy 😉  We will have them again in 4 weeks for an overnight, plenty of time to rest up!  We had so much fun though, and it was heartwarming to see how they loved finally being able to stay overnight again.

@dfishand @cat shepardcongrats on getting your 2nd jabs today!!

@smitty34877don't feel bad, I still haven't learned how to caption my photos.  I try and it doesn't work.

Here is a photo of my latest puzzle (the world). 

Have a wonderful day everyone!

47ED8EAC-2272-4B15-9734-3E43EC73E567.jpeg

Edited by Cruising-along
  • Like 26

Thank you for the Daily, I like the addition of ports. Hopeful to visit any Norwegian port, most important cruise in my book was the-cancelled-last-summer-cruise-to-Norway with siblings.  We all are looking ahead for another cruise with similar itinerary, maybe in 2023! 

• Like 14

5 minutes ago, Av8rix said:

Do you know what ship is that in the foreground?  Hurtigruten, perhaps?

It was a ferry and I did take a picture of it when we were walking around.  There was a hearse parked on the dock waiting for it to get to the dock.  enhance

Interesting sign downtown.  I thought Honningsvag would beg to differ.enhance

As for whether to take a tour or not, I would check out where the tours go and make a decision.  We like walking through these "walkable" ports unless there is something special out of town to see.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

Good morning. The nasty day here may refer to the weather. It was supposed to be sunny, but it is dark and very gloomy. Hopefully that means some rain in which case all will be forgiven.

Haven't been to Hammerfest. I need to go .... actually anywhere right now would be great. Hopefully the day  is coming. I am thinking about some short trips this summer.

Take care all.... and keep pictures coming. I love to see other places and other views of places I have been and thought I knew.

• Like 15

Well we walked as planned to the new area being developed.  It was interesting to see how far they plan to expand.  Eventually there will be another exit or two from this development and that will save us all time.  Right now there is only one entrance so the new entrances/exits will be helpful in getting places faster.  

I took this photo of the 9th hole waterfall.  Trees are blooming, but the Bermuda grass is still dormant so tan in color.enhance

• Like 20

Thank you for the Daily and the lists.

Hmmm. I wonder whose idea it was to have those two days together?

Happy #IWD2021 to all of the women here and those that I adore in my life. I have to be honest, if I knew that there was a #CommonwealthDay, I've never celebrated it.

Interesting quote! 

We've leftovers, so that's what supper will be tonight. 

Thank you to @StLouisCruisersfor the Norway stop. Someday. It's a bright and sunny day today, with promises of even warmer temperatures later in the week. @rafinmd you know that we will all be with you in spirit tomorrow.

Blessings to all!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, all! Like others, I will pass on Be Nasty Day. Commonwealth Day and International Women’s Day  are worth celebrating, though. @StLouisCruisersthanks for the port photos. I’m hoping to be there someday, but haven’t made it yet.

A year ago today was the World Cruise’s final day in Sydney, Australia. It was hard to compare anything to that amazing sunrise balloon flight. Part of the ride was a champagne breakfast at a hotel after. Then we came back to Sydney, wandering around downtown and then visiting Darling Harbour where we had lunch. We took pictures of the Opera House from the base of the bridge across the water. The Ruby Princess was docked nearby and is in several photos. No one knew yet that she had brought the virus to Australia, and her passengers were spreading it as they went. We were beyond lucky that day that no one from the Amsterdam brought back an unwelcome souvenir. Some of the tourists we encountered at the Sydney landmarks on that beautiful sunny Sunday must have come from her! Luck was with us, and that final weekend before the world closed in was the most magical experience of the entire cruise for me!

ABBD02BF-A016-40DF-90C2-59E028D6AD4D.thumb.jpeg.bad623a1dce7cb474ddbe55cdd523161.jpeg

The hotel in the Hunter Valley hotel hat hosted our post flight champagne breakfast.

BB621709-C636-490A-A487-70490BFFE0A7.thumb.jpeg.86758da88018a50704ff7563aafd040d.jpeg

The Entrance, a port and famous tourist spot north of Sydney.

56802EDA-3AAB-4470-884E-F1FA9F40FF6F.thumb.jpeg.ab21730d987048b9e2a0901fc40a41d5.jpeg

245238FF-E890-401C-BDB1-855A41A51397.thumb.jpeg.926ff5977ac47f9f24b26718054415f6.jpeg

Starters at lunch in Darling Harbour.

87F665D1-F505-467F-BA26-CD2D9C62D79E.thumb.jpeg.daa617e2b5d34639d0b91e857a16935e.jpeg

ComicCon attendees also stopping for lunch.

0642075E-A4F3-4AF9-BFD8-8F1B05546868.thumb.jpeg.c77de0a45d96297b8b63727a1f6869de.jpeg

B36F7E64-21A0-4674-A286-5EF1B19E344F.thumb.jpeg.42d0b7f84a23342db0b662750efd3234.jpeg

Huge, evil looking birds locally know as ‘Bin Chickens’ because of their affinity for garbage bins. They are really a type of Ibis, and larger than a chicken. Terrifying things to be approached by!

44FE1E14-E3C0-48C0-B835-C91E47643D01.thumb.jpeg.5968187b8b6be84baac0786d1a67985b.jpeg

The Ruby Princess peeks out from behind the Opera House.2CC3F4B8-E10C-416C-BBFE-823360EF0915.thumb.jpeg.ca50aeed9144a100a38eabc0326c03d3.jpegFrom the base of the bridge, across the harbour.

0D6B5556-64C6-425D-B816-7D1FDFB99B4B.thumb.jpeg.740394284324b98062335f4b210bb47b.jpeg

Sailaway, and farewell to Sydney.

1F3C37A8-EA6F-4628-839E-C8EBEBB0AB95.thumb.jpeg.9e0d0fd24f8d7ea7614ff0fc3b1dc7d7.jpeg

Bridge walkers on the top of the span as we pass underneath.

7ADF014E-7C73-4B38-8810-C7D0B37FF2E8.thumb.jpeg.c525f8d078a0b509aad8dd4ccb2b1227.jpeg

This explains better than words why I never chose being a pilot as a career!

FA72BDC4-CC5B-4758-AE37-26D2713EE6CD.thumb.jpeg.be93c86dc4fd474ceb324c1b469b9407.jpeg

A bottle of my favourite wine from Hunter Valley followed us home!

And finally, Happy Monday with fond thoughts of returning to our blue hulled beauties again!

A8DD499D-2A19-47E6-8106-745C90BA5253.thumb.jpeg.1388c1d7600890c00ba1cb2101558d13.jpeg

• Like 28

Are we sure it isn't break your glasses day?  My pair have been having issues with the frame and were falling off my face if I looked straight down.  Tightening the little screw didn't help.  The frames are lightweight and after 6 years were worn out.  I picked them up off the vanity this morning and the arm just fell right off the glasses.  Now I am wearing my older prescription glasses and having a little trouble reading.  I tried making an appointment last week at the eye doctor but the woman who I spoke with about an appointment was pretty rude and indifferent to me.  This was after I had left an early morning message for someone to call back about an appointment, and no one ever called me back.  I'm thinking I'd better find a new eye doctor today and get an appointment ASAP.  👁️😎

• Like 15

Actually I could be wrong about the ship being a ferry.  Seems like it could have been a small cruise ship.  If it was it was probably Hurtigruten.

@Av8rixI just looked up the ship and it was a Hurtigruten.  Sad about the hearse waiting for the ship to arrive.  

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Thank you @StLouisCruisersfor all the photos that you posted of  Hammerfest. It reminds me a bit of our post stop in Bergen.

Thank you @dfishfor posting all of the recipes. Today's looks good and easy enough for me to try.

@Horizon chaser 1957thank you for the Australia photos. I hope to be able to go there someday.

Best wishes for all you dailyites to have a good day.

Jane   

• Like 12

Good morning.  I agree that a day celebrating being nasty is just nasty.  International Women’s Day and Commonwealth Day are worth celebrating.  The quote is so true.

Tonight our dinner will be grilled tri-tip with mashed potatoes, 🥔 salad and wine, 🍷

Out of at least 12 various Norwegian ports we’ve visited, Hammerfest is not one of them. It looks like an interesting and walkable port.  @StLouisCruisers Thank you for the pictures.  When I zoomed in for a better look at the other ship, it looked like it could be a Hertigurten ship.

@rafinmd Good wishes for you on your scan and doctor visit tomorrow.

Lenda

PS:  I just Googled the ship and it is a member of the Hurtiguerten fleet.

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 13

Good Morning Monday and Thank You for the Daily!

Good to have a global day to celebrate International Women's Day!😎  

Also a salute to Commonwealth Day (been to quite a few of the countries).🌍

The 14 day r/t on the Rotterdam to Norway was a such a good experience.....we visited SO many cities including Hammerfest! 🛳️

😷 Have a great day and prayers to all who are in need!🙏

FB_IMG_1527775668014.jpg

• Like 15