New CDC Guidelines for Vaccinated People

33 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I don't recall the exact years but the chicken pox vaccine became available for maybe a little over twenty, give or take a few, years ago. It took a bit of time after that before schools started mandaring it.

I'm 70 and I've never had chicken pox.  My doctor didn't believe me, so when I was having a check-up about 10 years ago, they tested to see if I had and sure enough it showed that I hadn't.  Besides avoiding it in childhood, I was around my son when he had a very bad case, so no idea why I didn't catch it then.

Bottom line is, my doctor gave me the vaccination for CP because he said I certainly didn't want to catch it when I was older.

• Like 4

I had a bad case of chicken poxs as a child.

It came back to haunt me.

After my first miscarriage I got shingles on the nerve root from my back down my left arm.

It started as a tingling sensation.

I did not feel like eating or cooking so  one day so my DH trying to cheer me up took me to a restaurant for lunch.

Well once there the waitress goes to me that I did not look good.

The next thing I knew I was in the doctors office getting examined.

My pulse was 170, and BP was low.

He thought I was having either an A-fib event or panic attack. He could not tell on the EKG (this was before the machine did the interpretation).

He then took my full history about the miscarriage, and funny feeling in back and arm.

And low and behold the blisters were starting to appear.

He calmed me down, no A-fib.

Prescribed zovirax and Ativan 1mg. every 12 hours.

Went home took one ativan, slept for over 12 hours, woke up and life resumed and got better day by day.

No scars from chicken pox, but skin lightening where where big blisters were on my arm.  I think I notice it more, because I am fair skinned.

Getting ready to get the shingles vaccine this fall.

I do not want to go thru that again.

Be healthy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keksie said:

I still have a slight scar on my forehead from chicken pox.

I also have a "pox mark" (tiny indent) on my forehead. My smallpox vaccine scar is on my thigh. We went back last year to get the new Shingrex vaccine, it is a 2-part booster, so we got flu shot and Shingrex in October and then second Shingrex shot end of November.  That shot hurt my arm worse  than my Pfizer Covid vaccination

9 hours ago, Coralc said:

So while they are fighting about all of this, we are anxiously awaiting our opportunity to get vaccinated. I have been waiting patiently, but I am started to get perturbed as other states increase the eligibility BY AGE. :classic_rolleyes::classic_biggrin:

In New York there are many injection sites provided by pharmacies. Still more coming every day and our Emmy winning elected leader in N.Y. isn't really doing near enough.

Hopefully with the new single dose and its relaxed storage requirements more and more Californians can be getting vaccinated..

Looks like about 260 CVS  stores in California are immunizing patients. Why isn't the State stepping up ??

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

In New York there are many injection sites provided by pharmacies. Still more coming every day and our Emmy winning elected leader in N.Y. isn't really doing near enough.

Hopefully with the new single dose and its relaxed storage requirements more and more Californians can be getting vaccinated..

Looks like about 260 CVS  stores in California are immunizing patients. Why isn't the State stepping up ??

California is hoarding 40% of their allocated vaccines for “under represented” communities; which have zero interest in being vaccinated. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, lizzius said:

No way you were required to have a chickenpox vaccine that probably didn't exist in your childhood.

Our district requires all vaccines, including chicken pox. They have eliminated the religious exemption since it was being abused by the anti-vaxxers. They only exemptions allowed are true medical exemptions.

If a parent chooses not to vaccinate, they will need to enroll their child in the online school that is provided. They may not attend school in person unless fully vaccinated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

California is hoarding 40% of their allocated vaccines for “under represented” communities; which have zero interest in being vaccinated. 

Is the "zero interest" a pure guess or do you have actual evidence that everyone in some of the most at risk groups are refusing vaccinations?

5 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Typically no. Usually all you need is physician documentation of having had natual disease. If that can't be obtained antibidy levels can be checked for proof.

Yeah, like said no issues with schools. Though after retiring from Army and my Kids started School in Arizona they needed a Vaccine not required in other States we'd been. Can't remember what was though, maybe Hepatitis

2 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

And which communities are those? 

16 hours ago, Heymarco said:

I don’t get it, you just mentioned banging your head against a wall yet you keep going back to pre-vaccine logic with ship protocols. In the past year, can you please share one case of a super spreader event involving children?.

Actually we just had one here... let me see if I can find a link to the article... here is one that references the “carver county outbreak linked to youth sports”. https://m.startribune.com/minnesota-reports-19-covid-19-deaths-targeted-testing-for-carver-county-flare-up/600033003/

30 minutes ago, tosteve1 said:

And which communities are those? 

From an LA times article dated March 4:

"In Southern California, targeted communities would include South Los Angeles, the Eastside, Koreatown, Chinatown, Compton, southeast L.A. County, the eastern San Fernando Valley, Santa Ana, and a number of heavily Latino communities along the Interstate 10 corridor between Pomona and San Bernardino."

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, broberts said:

Is the "zero interest" a pure guess or do you have actual evidence that everyone in some of the most at risk groups are refusing vaccinations?

I can tell you in my own inner city experience, I am VERY hard pressed to have the Hispanic, or Africa American patient consent to a vaccine. Granted, my experience is in North Texas and not Southern California.

34 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I can tell you in my own inner city experience, I am VERY hard pressed to have the Hispanic, or Africa American patient consent to a vaccine. Granted, my experience is in North Texas and not Southern California.

My experience in Covid vaccine clinics in NC has shown good interest from those communities. 

1 hour ago, vacationlover_mn said:

Actually we just had one here... let me see if I can find a link to the article... here is one that references the “carver county outbreak linked to youth sports”. https://m.startribune.com/minnesota-reports-19-covid-19-deaths-targeted-testing-for-carver-county-flare-up/600033003/

This doesn't sound good; "Osterholm said there is some preliminary evidence that current vaccines work against the B.1.1.7 variant, but perhaps aren't as effective against other variants."

23 minutes ago, tosteve1 said:

My experience in Covid vaccine clinics in NC has shown good interest from those communities. 

Well, of course. If someone shows up at a vaccine clinic, they are interested in a vaccine. 

The more important question is what percentage of the communities come to the clinic? 

The CDC has ethnic demographics on only 54% of doses administered. This data shows an alarming disparage in vaccine recipients.  

Working primary care clinics pro-bono on the weekends in South Dallas, I am

comfortable in my assessment that there is a profound distrust of the vaccine in some social demographics. 

• Thanks 2

I wonder if they are asked to sign consent forms like the one my mother just had to sign? Four pages struck me as a bit much. 

From an LA times article dated March 4:

"In Southern California, targeted communities would include South Los Angeles, the Eastside, Koreatown, Chinatown, Compton, southeast L.A. County, the eastern San Fernando Valley, Santa Ana, and a number of heavily Latino communities along the Interstate 10 corridor between Pomona and San Bernardino."

That is quickly changing for the better.

13 hours ago, Coralc said:

Thanks. I had not heard that, but unfortunately it will be another free for all and scramble. I actually would like another 50-64 tier. :classic_biggrin: So we aren't competing for appointments with everyone......:classic_biggrin:

Have you tried the website and use your zip code

www.vaccinateca.com

Hope this works for you.

Sorry my link doesn't work but google or input it.

Edited by Ashland
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I remember having chicken pox. Those memories are not good ones.😐

I remember having chicken pox too. I remember being covered in Calamine Lotion. Or was that measles that required Calamine Lotion? I don't know. I have all of them. I remember having the Mumps too. I looked like a bunny rabbit with the towel on my face to keep my parotid glands warm. Great memories.

Edited by coffeebean