Florida Will Sue...

solocruzin

Maybe I am not understanding the science of the virus and the vaccination.

If all the passengers and crew are vaccinated, then even after vaccination  there is still a 10% chance getting sick with covid if one passenger gets on board and is capable of spreading covid.   The vaccination clinical testing indicates that someone getting covid after vaccination will not get severely sick enough to require hospitalization.   

So,  if passengers and crew are willing to take the 10% risk of getting sick with covid,  it seems like this should be a matter of individual choice and freedom.   I believe that we don't need the CDC to ban free individuals from making a choice that impacts only that individual ( and the others on board who voluntarily decided to also accept the risk). .    Bars are open,  airplanes are flying, and tattoo parlors are inking.   Why is the cruise industry the only industry shut down?  

8 minutes ago, moosegrin said:

If all the passengers and crew are vaccinated, then even after vaccination  there is still a 10% chance getting sick with covid if one passenger gets on board and is capable of spreading covid.   The vaccination clinical testing indicates that someone getting covid after vaccination will not get severely sick enough to require hospitalization.   

So,  if passengers and crew are willing to take the 10% risk of getting sick with covid,  it seems like this should be a matter of individual choice and freedom.   I believe that we don't need the CDC to ban free individuals from making a choice that impacts only that individual ( and the others on board who voluntarily decided to also accept the risk). .    Bars are open,  airplanes are flying, and tattoo parlors are inking.   Why is the cruise industry the only industry shut down?  

You are 100% correct!

You are not understanding the science of the virus and the vaccination.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, moosegrin said:

I doubt the CDC cares that much about people willing to "risk" a cruise at this time.

But consider the example you offered. Until herd immunity is achieved any number of the "10%" may come ashore infected. Possibly infected with a novel and dangerous variant. Given a typical travel pattern that variant might be spread across the country in less than a day.

We just have to be patient. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Because it is the ONLY industry offering a totally non-essential form of travel which puts thousands of people (many of whom lack sense) in close and prolonged contact

Oh, quit with the common sense and reason!!! 🤗🤗🤗

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

We might know soon if vaccination will be required.  It is rumored that new CDC guidelines are coming shortly.

https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Miami-Dade-mayor-CDC-guidelines-vaccines

I read the article from contributor Aaron Saunders today, new guidelines for possible start up. 

• Like 1

Once again the science, or at least the understanding of the disease, is changing again. 

Indoor activity between vaccinated people can resume:

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20210401/cdc-easter-gatherings-guidance

I wonder if churches will become like cruise ships and airlines in requiring vaccination certificates?

16 minutes ago, c-boy said:

I read the article from contributor Aaron Saunders today, new guidelines for possible start up.

With news like the above that indoor activities are OK, one would expect changes.

More science suggests that at least some immunized people don't pass the disease:

https://www.wavy.com/covid-19-vaccine/cdc-says-vaccinated-people-unlikely-to-spread-coronavirus/

With news like this, it seems the return to cruising for vaccinated people and crews might be returning to the US before November.  Time will see if the CDC relents.  

• Like 1

On 4/2/2021 at 9:16 AM, SelectSys said:

Once again the science, or at least the understanding of the disease, is changing again. 

I wonder if churches will become like cruise ships and airlines in requiring vaccination certificates?

Not in Florida.  The governor of Florida has issued an emergency declaration forbidding any business or organization from requiring vaccination certificates.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

4 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Not in Florida.  The governor of Florida has issued an emergency declaration forbidding any business or organization from requiring vaccination certificates.

DON

I thought he wasn't going to allow vaccination passports. ?

On 4/2/2021 at 8:16 AM, SelectSys said:

With news like the above that indoor activities are OK, one would expect changes.

More science suggests that at least some immunized people don't pass the disease:

https://www.wavy.com/covid-19-vaccine/cdc-says-vaccinated-people-unlikely-to-spread-coronavirus/

With news like this, it seems the return to cruising for vaccinated people and crews might be returning to the US before November.  Time will see if the CDC relents.  

I honestly believe that if vaccination isn't required by the cruise line and/or the CDC the industry is dead.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, clo said:

I honestly believe that if vaccination isn't required by the cruise line and/or the CDC the industry is dead.

I agree w you but how many posts have you read on CC from people who are so desperate to get onto a ship that they will be willing to cruise on a bubble cruise or else even do a cruise to nowhere.  Not for me. 

If I can't cruise on my terms, there are lots of really good land trips that I can take.  There are even lots of great trips in the US and in Canada once they open the borders.  My wife and I are thinking about doing a week or so to the Calgary and Banff area this fall.  I also think that my ideal overseas trip would be to fly to my destination and spend a couple  or 3 days at each of several of several interesting destinations.  That way you can get sort of the sense of a place as opposed to the one day at each port experience you get at on a cruise.  

I realize that for some people, the ship is the destination but I regard a ship as a way to get to interesting land destinations.  Different strokes etc.

DON

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

I agree w you but how many posts have you read on CC from people who are so desperate to get onto a ship that they will be willing to cruise on a bubble cruise or else even do a cruise to nowhere.  Not for me.

I read some posts and think "sheesh, you think you have a right to go on a cruise." On a site totally unrelated to vacations someone described it as "me, me, me." It puts a bad taste in my mouth when I read those (not close to all but quite a few).

We're like you, thinking about what we can do and where. We've got a little motor home so that gives us a comfortable and safe environment. I sure wish Canada would let us in cause, like you, that would be a great trip. We did a Rocky Mountaineer train trip many years ago and it was outstanding. Well, we'll just keep on keeping on. Best wishes.

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

If I can't cruise on my terms, there are lots of really good land trips that I can take.  ...

I realize that for some people, the ship is the destination but I regard a ship as a way to get to interesting land destinations.  Different strokes etc.

DON

Different strokes indeed.  The fact is, for a lot of us  cruising is not what it used to be -- and, when considered closely, aside from the transportation aspect - it can be done without fairly well. 

I hope Cunard continues to provide a civilized way to cross the Atlantic, and that other lines will occasionally  provide repositionings  to get me from where I was to where I want to be;  but for the rest of it ------meh.

12 minutes ago, clo said:

I read some posts and think "sheesh, you think you have a right to go on a cruise." On a site totally unrelated to vacations someone described it as "me, me, me." It puts a bad taste in my mouth when I read those (not close to all but quite a few).

We're like you, thinking about what we can do and where. We've got a little motor home so that gives us a comfortable and safe environment. I sure wish Canada would let us in cause, like you, that would be a great trip. We did a Rocky Mountaineer train trip many years ago and it was outstanding. Well, we'll just keep on keeping on. Best wishes.

I think many are on onboard solely to drink and gamble. Amazing how much many drink. The where does not matter.

1 minute ago, Charles4515 said:

I think many are on onboard solely to drink and gamble. Amazing how much many drink. The where does not matter.

Well, it would cost less to get drunk at home 🙂 But, yes, there are those who are all about the ship and there are those, like us, who are in it for the ports. We sailed Oceania from Rio to Buenos Aires and honestly just wished that we had flown to Rio, spent a week and then flown to BA. Don't get me wrong we loved O and are hoping for a Baltic/Scandinavian next year but we're simply not beach people. And, yes, we like our cocktails also - just fixed myself one as a matter of fact 🙂

4 hours ago, clo said:

Well, it would cost less to get drunk at home 🙂 But, yes, there are those who are all about the ship and there are those, like us, who are in it for the ports. We sailed Oceania from Rio to Buenos Aires and honestly just wished that we had flown to Rio, spent a week and then flown to BA. Don't get me wrong we loved O and are hoping for a Baltic/Scandinavian next year but we're simply not beach people. And, yes, we like our cocktails also - just fixed myself one as a matter of fact 🙂

Great minds think alike.

DON

• Like 1

19 hours ago, clo said:

I think it will bring back the industry.  Going to be a big shock when vaccines open up for the younger folks and there are warehouses full of the poison sitting and rotting because more people won't get it than will.

19 minutes ago, Sky616 said:

I think it will bring back the industry.  Going to be a big shock when vaccines open up for the younger folks and there are warehouses full of the poison sitting and rotting because more people won't get it than will.

Given there are more than six billion people in need of vaccination I doubt you need to worry about shock.

10 minutes ago, Sky616 said:

I don't know who those younger folks are since all in our very large extended family can't wait to get the vaccine but I'll humor you.  Some questions:

• What is your source for the statement "more people won't get it than will?"
  • Do those refusing the vaccine have the time and finances to replace those vaccinated cruisers who will abandon cruising if vaccinations are not required? 
  • Do you think ships with unvaccinated passengers will be welcomed in foreign ports?
  • Do you think that any cruise line will be able to weather additional on-board cases of Covid and the resulting publicity?
  • Like 5

18 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

And, drink too much even at home in front of the screen it seems.   Some folks should probably not be posting anything after 11 am.     

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, capriccio said:

I don't know who those younger folks are since all in our very large extended family can't wait to get the vaccine but I'll humor you.  Some questions:

• What is your source for the statement "more people won't get it than will?"
  • Do those refusing the vaccine have the time and finances to replace those vaccinated cruisers who will abandon cruising if vaccinations are not required? 
  • Do you think ships with unvaccinated passengers will be welcomed in foreign ports?
  • Do you think that any cruise line will be able to weather additional on-board cases of Covid and the resulting publicity?

The one question you did not ask---where is your source for "warehouses full of poison"?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Sky616 said:

If you don't want them the rest of the world will take them and you can just stay isolated in your own borders while we all go travelling😜

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Sky616 said:

South Central Pennsylvania has it all. Why would you ever want to leave? You can skip the vaccine and remain in your own slice of Eden, while the rest of us slobs have to get our free jabs and search the world to try to find what you have in your own backyard.

• Haha 1