The Daily for Saturday Apr 10, 2021

richwmn

Today is Hug Your Dog Day, Encourage A Young Writer Day, and Global Work From Home Day

I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. - E. B. White

Meal suggestion for today - Buffalo Chicken Pockets

Drink of the Day - Cuban

Wine of the day - Chateau Vincens 2018 Origine (Cahors) Southwest France

Port of the Day - Puerto Chiapas Mexico

At Sea Pacific
Nieuw Amsterdam Destination Los Angeles eta 4/15
Noordam Destination Los Angeles eta 4/10
Westerdam Destination La Paz MX eta 4/11

Augusta IT
Zaandam

Corfu GR
Volendam

Great Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

La Paz MX
Koningsdam Anchorage
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Torquay UK
Eurodam Anchorage
Oosterdam

0410USA.thumb.png.6806542c59e7cc4bd4e8da7f431b4ff6.png

0410Europe.thumb.png.a6a397b76f5d7736395cc8f7828c087c.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 5

Thank you for the Saturday Daily, Rich.  Lots of Dailyites will be hugging their dogs.  Global Work From Home Day seems to be every day in these times.  Our young writers deserve our encouragement.  Port Chiapas is a pretty popular port.  Love the quote but will wait to see what @dfish comes up on the meal.  My alternative is Chilled Sour Cherry Soup, Fruit Cup Au Natural and Oven Roasted Beef Tenderloin as served on MS Amsterdam April 10, 2014.  A question particularly for Canadians:  How long should Prince Phillip be on the Care List:

Today's care list:

Kakalina

St. Vincent

myself facing cardiac surgery

NextOne DH facing chemo

HorizonChaser1957'BIL

RIP Prince Phillip

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

44 years for ger_77

Sharon’s DD for seeing the light on vaccination

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 29
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, everyone.

Another warm, sunny day on tap here before the cold front moves in early evening.  I'm going to head to the pool this morning and get an extra day in this week.  

Today's meal has several variations.  Many are made from crescent rolls or pizza dough.  I'm offering two recipes here so you can take your pick.  People report using different cheeses and different sources for the chicken in order to avoid using the chicken out of the can.  I think I would go with the pizza dough and shred my own chicken.  I'd use mozzarella cheese instead of cheddar or perhaps a pepper jack.  

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/buffalo-chicken-crescent-rolls/

http://www.certifiedpastryaficionado.com/buffalo-chicken-pockets/

Buffalo-Chicken-Cresent-Rolls_EXPS_TOHFM20_150307_E09_19_7b-3.jpg

Buffalo-Chicken-Pockets_IMG_5688.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

Good Saturday morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

It's supposed to be a nice sunny spring day here so I hope to work outside today.

Bertie Woofster thinks everyday is "Hug your dog Day".  He's a good boy and will get lots of hugs and pats and dog cookies too.

Love the quote.

I'll pass on the dinner suggestion for tonight, maybe we'll try it some other time.  Thanks @dfishfor the recipe.

Looking forward to reading about the wine and the drink of the day.

Have a good day everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 19

17 minutes ago, highscar said:

I think it would be nice to have Prince Phillip on the care list until his funeral. 

He is already on the Care list.  “RIP Prince Phillip”. 

• Like 5

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

It’s hug your dog day everyday here 🙂 

1C8D5290-3F36-4158-AFDA-E1D19C45A24C.jpeg.52e5dd6f96c70c0d906d1627201c2ac6.jpeg

I highly recommend it.  It can be a pick me up in these times (or any time)

E0D01DCA-E81A-4CA7-B506-177C0B6D6442.jpeg.45e9438845d27786b60eddff2e3afd99.jpeg

Young writers are the future and deserve all our encouragement.  Global Work from Home Day?  It’s been Work from Home day every day for many people for over a year.

35DAEE09-EACF-40C4-8185-708698EB1A9E.jpeg.3149e12dc14269e553c1f7cb58a2023d.jpeg

Most people have a better attitude than this 😉 

C4D27872-360C-4B37-B420-1B26499DB7ED.jpeg.bda2eb0c5a26fa40541709c92fdddf95.jpeg

Love that quote by White.  Kind of sums it up on many days.

Meal suggestion sounds good   We had our first BBQ in a very long time last night and I suspect it will either be steak sandwiches or another BBQ item tonight before the cold weather returns.  Lots of outside work today planned to go with the BBQ 😉 

We visited Puerto Chiapas on our Panama Canal cruise.  If you just want to lounge, the port is fine but there’s really nothing there.  This is one time I was really glad I researched.  DH and I took the shuttle to Tapachula and enjoyed our time there 😄 

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 for everyone on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Saturday everyone!!!!

811FB2BF-CD47-4EAA-9B9D-4A90EC6B7AE8.thumb.jpeg.0cf84c5df912237f39e1cf0a6ac263a3.jpeg

Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 28
  • Haha 3

Good morning.  Rich and Roy, thank you for your daily dedication.  @dfishthank you for the recipes.

I think leaving Prince Philip on the list until his funeral would be good.  No dog to hug here, no young writers in our family yet and no work from home.  Interesting quote.  The meal looks and sounds delicious.  We've been to Puerto Chiapas many times, but will have to look to see what we've done and if we have pictures.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and please wear your mask.

Cuban:

Ingredients

1½ oz. aged rum
¾ oz. fresh lime juice
1 oz. simple syrup (1:1)
2 dashes Angostura bitters
6-8 mint leaves
2 oz. dry sparkling wine
Tools:muddler, shaker, strainer, fine strainer
Glass:coupe
Garnish:mint leaf

Preparation
Combine all the ingredients expect the sparkling wine in a shaker and fill with ice. Shake to chill. Double-strain into a chilled glass, top with the sparkling wine and garnish.

Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 7.41.28 AM.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Everyday is hug your dog day, here. Bindi wants to know when “Give your dog extra treats day” is?  I admit that I do not know any young writers, but I would encourage them, if I did.  I applaud all employers who allow their folk to work from home - especially this past year. 

Roy, thank you for keeping our lists! Morning Dailyites & my Sisters.  Great quote. The meal looks like a fun one to make with kids, they could customize their own pockets & put their initial in the dough. Perhaps no Buffalo spice for theirs. Thank you for the variations, Debbie! The drink sounds interesting, Summer! And very refreshing looking!

Today is another get out in the garden before the rains move in. I might send out for pizza tonight. Depends how much energy I have at the end of the day. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! @erewhon, Happy Belated Anniversary! I hope you & your DW many more!

Stay well everyone

This bold Malbec has excellent ratings, but may not be easy to find locally. I found one online distributor that ships to the USA & offered it for $13.72. Shipping costs would probably be more expensive than the wine. 

92 Wine Enthusiasts - Almost black in colour, this is a dark-hued, black plum and chocolate flavoured wine. It is powerful and very concentrated, densely tannic as well as fruity. There is a dusty texture, fine acidity and strong wood-spice flavours.  The wine is for long-term aging.

• Like 25

4 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Bindi wants to know when “Give your dog extra treats day” is?  

LOL - mine too.  They succeed most days by sucking up to dad 😉 

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

Good morning  and  thanks  for  the Daily. It  is  always  "hug the  dog  day" in  this  house. Our Fred  keeps  us  busy  and  laughing,especially  these  days. I  have  watched  DD  and  SIL  both  working  from  home for  the  last  year  and  I  think  their  hours  are  longer than  when  they  had  the  commute  to  the  city. They  are  grateful  to  have  had  this  option as  many  people  don't.

@dfish,thanks  for  the  recipe. I  like  your  modifications also.

Yesterday  DH  and  I  braved  a  large farm  type  store. I  found  myself  getting  rather  anxious(surprise,surprise) inside as  it  was  really  crowded. There  were  a  few  folks wearing  masks  around  their  necks,etc. Needless  to  say,I  doubt  I  will  return  there  in  person  right  now. I  guess I  just  have  to  choose  more  wisely. Any  thoughts?          Terry

• Like 21

Happy Saturday!  I have a feeling today will be low key as we received our second Moderna shot yesterday afternoon (yea us).  This morning we have sore arms and are a little blah feeling.  Not complaining, happy that in two weeks we will be vaccinated. 

• Like 25

21 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Yesterday  DH  and  I  braved  a  large farm  type  store. I  found  myself  getting  rather  anxious(surprise,surprise) inside as  it  was  really  crowded. There  were  a  few  folks wearing  masks  around  their  necks,etc. Needless  to  say,I  doubt  I  will  return  there  in  person  right  now. I  guess I  just  have  to  choose  more  wisely. Any  thoughts? 

I’m with you Terry.  I’ve found stores that follow the maximum permitted rules and masks.  I feel relatively safe in them (and not there long as they are not large).

If  I see too many people in a store or lineups, I just don’t go.  If I get in and see a scenario I’m not comfortable with, I leave.

The stores that I do patronize are those that are doing their best to deliver a safe experience.  Those that do so are getting my $$.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  If I had a dog to hug, I would, but Sochi will have to be a stand-in.  I'd encourage any young writers; I don't know any, but I do have a friend who is a published author, and know what dedication it takes.  Our DDIL has been working from home since returning from mat. leave last year, and has become quite comfortable with it.  It's quite an adjustment from working in a busy office environment to working out of your spare room.

Thanks to everyone for your anniversary wishes yesterday; we had a great day together (we always do - we're best friends), going for a drive to explore new area of our fast growing city, window shopping, stopping for ice cream, then picking up take-out from our favourite Italian restaurant to enjoy on our newly-cleaned deck.  We looked at our wedding album, remembering the day and all that went with it, and how far we've come since then, and realized how blessed we really are.

I like the idea of making chicken hot pockets, but DH has a problem with hot food, so I'd likely leave out the buffalo spice and use roasted chicken instead of the stuff in a can (ugh!).  For us though, tonight will be delicious leftovers from our anniversary dinner.  And wine.

@rafinmdI agree about leaving Prince Philip on the "care" list until after his funeral.  Just my 2 cents worth.

@Horizon chaser 1957I know this isn't a personal messenger service (sure wish we could message individuals on this site), but can you please contact me; I have something you might be interested in.  My email is:
ger underscore 77 at yahoo dot com   Put Cruise Critic in the subject line so I'll know it isn't spam.  Thanks!

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Clinking the glasses together tonight to celebrate all on the happy list.  Be well, stay safe, wash your hands and wear your mask(s).

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 25

27 minutes ago, kazu said:

The stores that I do patronize are those that are doing their best to deliver a safe experience.  Those that do so are getting my $$.

Good Morning All,

The sun’s just coming up here and it’s a clear day. I’m guessing it will be hot.😜

Love the picture Kazu posted with the Golden. That could be our boy. Loves ear, chest, tummy and rump rubs. Loves hugs. Loves ALL attention, (good and bad) as long as he is in the center of it. And watch out when he wants to sit in your lap. He’ll back right into you. All 120 lbs of him. 🤨

Our case count has decreased a lot in the past week, but several weeks ago I was in a Target where a young woman was running around with a smirk where her mask belonged. I notified 2 employees and was told finally they couldn’t do anything about it. People only have to wear it when they walk in.😳 So my business is going elsewhere, where the employer is more concerned for their employees. 

DH returns to his worksite in May. He’s been working from his home desk since Thanksgiving. And working every day since January. He needs a break.

Looking forward to hearing about today’s port. 

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 21

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  Rich and Roy, thank you for your daily dedication.  @dfishthank you for the recipes.

I think leaving Prince Philip on the list until his funeral would be good.  No dog to hug here, no young writers in our family yet and no work from home.  Interesting quote.  The meal looks and sounds delicious.  We've been to Puerto Chiapas many times, but will have to look to see what we've done and if we have pictures.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and please wear your mask.

Cuban:

Ingredients

1½ oz. aged rum
¾ oz. fresh lime juice
1 oz. simple syrup (1:1)
2 dashes Angostura bitters
6-8 mint leaves
2 oz. dry sparkling wine
Tools:muddler, shaker, strainer, fine strainer
Glass:coupe
Garnish:mint leaf

Preparation
Combine all the ingredients expect the sparkling wine in a shaker and fill with ice. Shake to chill. Double-strain into a chilled glass, top with the sparkling wine and garnish.

Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 7.41.28 AM.png

Yummy looking! I would definitely try this. Thanks summer!

• Like 8

2 hours ago, highscar said:

I think it would be nice to have Prince Phillip on the care list until his funeral. 

2 hours ago, kazu said:

He is already on the Care list.  “RIP Prince Phillip”. 

Oops - apologies. 😢   I misread your post & thought you were looking for him to be added instead of being left on.  (Should have finished my coffee, I guess 😉 ).  

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

I think we can improve the world by enjoying everything we encounter. Gratitude and thankfulness can be contagious.

We woke up to snow again this morning (second time this week). Got out before sunrise and enjoyed a quiet walk before the town wakes up.

• Like 18

Rich, you are a master at bringing the Daily together. Thank you. Good morning to my sweet sisters,  Roy you are in my prayers, and hello Daily-ites!

Whew, yesterday was a scorcher. Drove into Austin to meet friends for lunch and it was so hot.. 96. Today will be 79 and I'll get my yard back in shape from the heavy winds last night.

Jacqui and Ann.. the dog cartoons are so funny. I've been hugging a very adorable basset hound puppy our neighbor received as a gift from his son. His name is Huckleberry or Huck. He tries to run but his ears get in the way and he tumbles. 

Yes to the drink of the day, no to the wine and dinner. I will take Roy's dinner alternate please. 

Prayers and Cheers, 

Joy

• Like 18

Morning everybody!  A gloomy day so far and we're expecting thunderstorms so just wishing they would come and get it over with.  I hope the Masters tournament won't be affected today with the weather.  If they're lucky it will break up and head north and south of them.  

When Roy asked the question about Prince Philip that's the first thing I thought "leave him on the list until his funeral".  It may be a while though - did I hear it would be the 17th?  

We also stopped at Puerto Chiapas on our Panama Canal (FLL to San Diego).  To be honest, that stop is basically a cruise ship built dock with nothing there but a building where the local dancers can welcome you and a few trinkets sold there.  If you don't take a tour here, and I don't know what those tours were because we didn't take one, you have to stay on the ship or buy a ride on a van to the next town.  As @kazumentioned that was probably Tapachula though I didn't have a memory of the name.  There wasn't a lot there to see or interest us so basically we rode over there, got out to walk around a bit and high-tailed it back to the ship.  Edited to add the ship was the Westerdam and the date was March 2016.

View of the dockenhance

dancers showing their skillsenhance

Buses for the tours getting ready to fill upenhance

Vans for shuttling to townenhance

As you can tell there was nowhere to go here by the ship, so we took the van to Tapachula.  Photos of the city below. enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Riders in the back of a pick up truck.enhance

Heading to the air conditioning on the ship.   AAAHHH!enhance

But first a photo of Flat Stanley at the welcome sign to show he was here.enhance

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 30

Good morning everyone. I wish we had a dog to hug, but we lost Livie back in 2015. She was the sweetest of all the dogs we’ve had over the years and we still miss her.

we always encourage a young writer because it’s our grandson who is working remotely for a California company.  Global work from home day seems like every day this year and last year.

My Mohs surgery has been moved up to the third week in April which means I’ll be able to get vaccinated as soon as it heals. I’ve been advised to only get J and J since it’s one shot and half the chance of getting Bells Palsy. Hopefully, by the end of May their shortage will get straightened out.

I wonder if Harry will return for his grandfather’s funeral and will he go with or without Meghan. I heard only a few people will be allowed in the church but I don’t think any plans have been finalized yet.

Stay safe everyone and be careful which stores you go into. DH  has become quite good at having stores deliver odd items to him in the car after giving them his credit card. We still get all our food delivered.

Carol

• Like 19

Thank you Rich and a  drippy, soggy, puddly but relaxing good morning from Tennessee to all our Dailyites.

I would have liked to sleep in today because sleeping to the sound of gentle rain is one of my favorite things but alas it was not to be. The (grumble grumble)  tree man called at 7:30.... thankfully there is coffee. And hopefully the 3 trees needing removal will meet their maker tomorrow.

I'll take a Cuban but opt for Roy's oven roasted beef tenderloin which is one of my favorite holiday meals. I made the slow roasted version a few years back as a farewell to a friend from Russia who was returning home after being here for 2 years as a grad student. We had a big party on New Year's day where the food was ample, the wine flowed, and the comradery was infectious. Good times.

Everything is starting to bloom. Maybe tomorrow I can get out and get some pictures. Today is a day for frogs and ducks, not cameras. 

No doggies here, unless you count the neighbor's bully who is incredibly sweet and will literally knock you over with her slobbery affection. 

Thoughts and prayers for all on the list and a special remembrance for Prince Philip and his dear wife and family. May they have the comfort of the angels at this time.

Wishing a blessed and relaxing day to you all.

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 18