Formal Nights on Iona/Arviva

janny444

With Iona and I think Arviva only having freedom dining do you think that the formal evenings on these two ships will be as formal with the majority of men wearing full works dinner suits or do you think that the suits will be less formal....just an ordinary suit but complete with accessories ?

My husband has had his dinner suit for quite a number of years and now needs updating....the suit not my hubby.... so I am wondering whether just to buy a black suit but then dress it up a bit.

I am of the mind that these two new ships are trying to appeal to the younger generation who may not be inclined to dress quite as formally.

Just now, janny444 said:

With Iona and I think Arviva only having freedom dining do you think that the formal evenings on these two ships will be as formal with the majority of men wearing full works dinner suits or do you think that the suits will be less formal....just an ordinary suit but complete with accessories ?

My husband has had his dinner suit for quite a number of years and now needs updating....the suit not my hubby.... so I am wondering whether just to buy a black suit but then dress it up a bit.

I am of the mind that these two new ships are trying to appeal to the younger generation who may not be inclined to dress quite as formally.

I think you could be right, but even on the other P&O ships a dinner suit is not obligatory. A smart suit and tie is all that's required.

Avril

No-one will really know until Iona settles in but my guess is that without set dining and with additional casual dining venues on board, there will be fewer pax dressing formally. It wouldn't surprise me if by the time Arvia arrives, P&O abandon formal/gala nights (at least on the two new ships) in favour of Marella-style "Dress to Impress" nights. Of course, it will be as a result of passenger feedback 😊.

Edited by Britboys
Typo
  • Like 1

We have chosen freedom dining since it was brought in and always dressed as we always have done for formals, yet not noticed any particular difference in dress for the different restaurants.  Must admit though that DH is often critical of some P&O passenger's dress on formal nights, often calling them "tatty" compared to those on other cruise lines we have used.  I think it may herald back to his professional life when he spent some of his time in very formal situations, e.g. court work.  Strange really as the rest of his life is spent in very casual clothes now - often what I call tatty 🙂

Cannot say it has bothered me at all, though overall I think more men on all cruise lines are not going for the full works if Black Tie is not essential.  I would suggest he goes for whatever he prefers to wear, but as you say make the outfit look smart.  Sometimes I think more younger men will wear a dinner suit, if they do not use a suit at other times in their lives and many do not now.

Edited by tring

I have always been impressed that so many young people dress formally on cruises. Some of the ladies really go to town wearing fantastic creations. It’s a pleasure to see. We will continue wearing formal dress as it is an enjoyable part of cruising for us. 

• Like 6

If there are formal nights I will comply. It is up to others how there dress, but when I see people walking around in t shirts, it does annoy me, it shouldn't but I believe some do it deliberately.

It will be interesting how evening wear will evolve on the new ships.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, besberry said:

They say one formal night a week on the two new ships, so as far as I'm concerned I'll be taking the DJ.  I'll have to practice tying the tie again though!

Only need to tie it once then stitch the knot and convert it into a clip on. Looks hand tied because it is. A cruise director told me the trick. I have no need for it though as although I have the dinner jacket etc it is too big and I don't bother with formals anymore.

• Like 1

I think one formal night a week is just not worth the bother of bringing a DJ or suit, which is a pity as I love formal nights and would be happy with 3 or 4 a week.

Anyway I  expect one a week will lead to more people not dressing up and the slow end of formal nights. Hope it doesn't spread to other shios

• Like 1

Personally i'm not really bothered either way about if there are Formal Wear Nights or not because if you think about it after dinner what use is wearing Formal Wear.?

Yes a dress code always smart the way you would dress when going to say a friends wedding, not like you slob about during the day (or is that just me.) 🙂

During my first cruise i seen a sight i had a little snigger at, Formal Wear Night and Man Utd was playing Man City and in the biggest bar on the Azura it was standing room only shoulder to shoulder watching football with all the Men and Ladies dressed in Formal Wear.

Was the weirdest place i had ever watched football.

Edited by Cpt Pugwash
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

If there's a formal night listed for our September staycation, I shall be taking my DJ.  Whether it still fits is another matter!!

There is one formal night on my princess cruise in September it’s on the cruise personaliser so I will certainly be taking a long dress and other half his dinner suit , I love dressing up for dinner and it’s only for a short while then il be back home in my scruffy togs again . I hope formal nights will stay for good 

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

There is one formal night on my princess cruise in September it’s on the cruise personaliser so I will certainly be taking a long dress and other half his dinner suit , I love dressing up for dinner and it’s only for a short while then il be back home in my scruffy togs again . I hope formal nights will stay for good 

I was going to make a comment about most of the Ladies not wanting them to end but thought i better not save getting myself into trouble. :-)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cpt Pugwash said:

I was going to make a comment about most of the Ladies not wanting them to end but thought i better not save getting myself into trouble. 🙂

A wise decision CptP. Never a good idea to get into trouble with the ladies on this site! Have a good day. Jane.x

• Like 5

17 hours ago, besberry said:

They say one formal night a week on the two new ships, so as far as I'm concerned I'll be taking the DJ.  I'll have to practice tying the tie again though!

One formal night a week seems fine to me.

The formal dress code is one of the less important aspects of the cruising experience for me. Having done a.few longer cruises in the last few years, each time a formal night rolled round, I started to think ‘not another one already’. 

My preference in for smart casual, but I always go along with the dress code of the evening. 

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

The formal dress code is one of the less important aspects of the cruising experience for me. Having done a.few longer cruises in the last few years, each time a formal night rolled round, I started to think ‘not another one already’. 

My preference in for smart casual, but I always go along with the dress code of the evening. 

I totally agree Dermotsgirl. My only niggle with a relaxed dress code is that in some people’s minds it means they are ok wear what they would be wearing on the beach. Many times I’ve seen people rightly turned away from MDR in the evening wearing shorts and flip flops (not to mention the baseball cap on backwards🤣). I like the concept of smart casual for most nights and then the “formal” nights become a special occasion.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Exactly how we feel too. Smart casual is more than enough, and to be honest, it really doesn’t  bother me one bit what other people are wearing. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ardennais said:

Exactly how we feel too. Smart casual is more than enough, and to be honest, it really doesn’t  bother me one bit what other people are wearing. 

Ditto here - after QE2, where it seemed there was a formal night every five minutes, it wore very thin. Like others, I observe it, wearing my posh frock and a Just William scowl.:classic_smile:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I don't mind the two or three on fortnight cruises, but having been lucky enough to do a couple of 100+ night cruises and a 55 nighter, they certainly begin to pall on those!

• Like 1