Vision from Bermuda cancelled

Just now, SpainAlien said:

Good luck with that, I'm still waiting on a refund for my cruise that was cancelled by them on 9th March

Hearing ya. We feel like we have to hire an accountant to keep up with all the cancelled cruise and onboard credits we have!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

Plus it seems RC and Bahamas are both committed to making Nassau a legit full time home port.

That should be interesting considering that the current port facilities don't have the ability to function as a true embarkation terminal, and at the rate the Bahamians build anything, it will be awhile before they are able to construct a facility to handle being a home port.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I suspect that it was a combination of very poor Bermuda bookings ad the fact that they could be sailing from the US soon

I'm sure the poor bookings is probably 90% of the reason they cancelled. It's great that US sailings may resume soon but wouldn't Royal just use one of their 20+ other ships floating around for those departures if  Vision had decent bookings?

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, SpainAlien said:

Good luck with that, I'm still waiting on a refund for my cruise that was cancelled by them on 9th March

We finally got the last chunk of the refund on Monday for our May cruise that was cancelled on 3/9. So there's still hope...

4 minutes ago, orville99 said:

That should be interesting considering that the current port facilities don't have the ability to function as a true embarkation terminal, and at the rate the Bahamians build anything, it will be awhile before they are able to construct a facility to handle being a home port.

They're deep in construction as we speak of a pretty impressive terminal complex.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

They're deep in construction as we speak of a pretty impressive terminal complex.

And they have been deep into construction of a garage next to the Hilton for the past four years, and that's not done yet.

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

True, it’s hard to make travel plans with so many unknowns.  It’s wise to have a plan B. 

It would have taken more planning already to go out of Bermuda soon. Its not just the refund of the price of the cruise. Some booked airfare on pts, or hotels, or looked into testing. 

I'm in the camp it makes rcl look bad to suddenly cancel. .. just because they probably didnt get enough bookings. People booked these thinking they were certain. .. some might lose money on other things like hotel or airfare. They booked these as a plan B. 

I'm disappointed for them. I'm so glad I didnt book. I had other cruises booked so held off.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I suspect that it was a combination of very poor Bermuda bookings ad the fact that they could be sailing from the US soon

I'm sure it didn't help that they raised the cruise prices.  It seemed like the prices doubled after they reduced the air prices.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Heavenly Rain said:

Yup, mad is the word.  We have had 3 other cruises cancelled this past year with RC and we understood completely. This was our Aniversary “for sure” cruise. Didn’t care where it sailed, just drag us around on the sea.  We feel hurt and disappointed.  But the world revolves around the almighty dollar and I’m sure this sailing wasn’t hot on their market.

3 stars to you and your anniversary cruise. People booked this because they felt like it was the sure thing, not thinking rcl would say oh we can make more money elsewhere. I'm so sorry for what rcl did to you because of money. Not being able to cruise out of usa because of cdc is understandable.. this was a money decision imo. Makes my trust in rcl lower.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I'm sure the poor bookings is probably 90% of the reason they cancelled. It's great that US sailings may resume soon but wouldn't Royal just use one of their 20+ other ships floating around for those departures if  Vision had decent bookings?

Agree with Ken that it's both reasons...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

It would have taken more planning already to go out of Bermuda soon. Its not just the refund of the price of the cruise. Some booked airfare on pts, or hotels, or looked into testing. 

I'm in the camp it makes rcl look bad to suddenly cancel. .. just because they probably didnt get enough bookings. People booked these thinking they were certain. .. some might lose money on other things like hotel or airfare. They booked these as a plan B. 

I'm disappointed for them. I'm so glad I didnt book. I had other cruises booked so held off.

I'm sure they had a ton of logistics issues to overcome in Bermuda.  I'd think Nassau would be a similar nightmare now.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I'm sure they had a ton of logistics issues to overcome in Bermuda.  I'd think Nassau would be a similar nightmare now.

I wonder if all those that said the cruise lines don’t need the US and just deploy all their ships out of non US ports are having second thoughts. 

• Like 8

I think it's a question of filling the ship.  Airfare might have played a part in the decision.  It's also noted that passengers preferred booking ships out of US ports.  US citizens need passports to travel from Bermuda.  Another reason why those who prefer the Caribbean cruises would opt for the US departures if they're from the states.  I would be more upset if I had booked my own airfare.  If booked with Royal, then all the money will be returned or given a bump of 25% toward another cruise.

Now I wonder if the St Maarten cruises for Celebrity might cancel.  

58 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

If they cancelled just because of low bookings, then I agree it isn’t a very wise move on their part.  There could have been other factors as well but I guess we’ll never know.

For sure, when there are flights and hotels involved, it complicates the matter substantially for those who had their vacations cancelled.  Not good for RCI’s image. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AF-1 said:

I agree with you.  I think Adventure of the Seas has quite a few bookings from June-Aug

I agree also.  We are booked on 8/14 on Adventure and I think those summer sailings are selling really well.  We got a decent price on air booked with Air2Sea vs booking from the airline directly

50 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Exactly...we have friends who chose to book Bermuda instead of Nassau.

Couldn't join them because we already booked the Navigator.

Will RCCL now cancel Nassau?  Will RCCL cancel the Navigator's move to CA?...sigh.