Terrible Check-in So Far for the Edge

GeorgiaPeach51

1 hour ago, helen haywood said:

One of the benefits of booking a Concierge Class cabin is priority boarding as well.  For the short run at least, everyone needs to adhere to their checkin time and there won’t be these long lines.

I was just going to say this. Suites get priority  boarding, Concierge gets priority boarding, Aqua gets priority boarding, higher levels of Captain's Club get priority boarding.  It is easier to count those passengers who don't get priority boarding. For the time being there should be no priority. At terminal 25 suites have a separate entrance, so maybe a little leeway there. But if a lot of suite passengers show up at noon, board them in the order of their assigned check in time. 

• Like 8

53 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

... We have just experienced the first pandemic in 100 years, one that has been responsible for the deaths of at least 600k deaths in the US alone. Shouldn't anyone with half a brain realize that things may have changed? ...

We have no doubt that the earlybirds knew and believed what they were told about some specific changes (e.g., showing proof of vaccination) ... BUT ... we would not assume that they ought to have known, with certainty, that the check-in times would be enforced.  You see, Celebrity  "cried 'Wolf'" far too many times in the past (regarding time to arrive) -- so 'X" was not believed this time.

Doesn't it occur to anyone that terminals may have restrictions on the number of people who can be inside at any one time? ...

We agree with bucfan2's response to you (see below).

Hello, "cruisemom42."

Please see our comments (bold, green), above.

44 minutes ago, bucfan2 said:

Common sense applied by the average citizen (who isn’t on [CruiseCritic]) would assume an airport terminal’s protocols to be similar to those in the cruise terminal.   Can’t blame them [the earlybirds] at all [for] assuming unlimited pax anytime, IMO. 

We agree with you, "bucfan2."

Passengers have been receiving communication directly about the new protocols, so if they want to ignore that and assume something else, they can stand in the hot sun. 

What is really happening is that people think "ok" and then want to take their chances with being able to get on earlier than assigned.  Again, they can do that, but they can also stand in the hot sun while they wait.

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

Passengers have been receiving communication directly about the new protocols, so if they want to ignore that and assume something else, they can stand in the hot sun. 

What is really happening is that people think "ok" and then want to take their chances with being able to get on earlier than assigned.  Again, they can do that, but they can also stand in the hot sun while they wait.

Agree.  

Just because people ignored the "suggested" time in the past when the world was NOT in the middle of a pandemic, why would anyone think everything is the "same" now?  As you said passengers have been told about the new protocols.  Why in the world does anyone think it's ok to ignore them?

Is getting there in time to eat lunch all that important??????????????

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

... Is getting there in time to eat lunch all that important??????????????

While getting aboard in time for lunch is probably very important to some people, there are lots of other things that people wish to do, as early as possible, on Embarkation Day.  If you could stop and think about it, we believe that some of those things would come to mind.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jg51 said:

While getting aboard in time for lunch is probably very important to some people, there are lots of other things that people wish to do, as early as possible, on Embarkation Day.  If you could stop and think about it, we believe that some of those things would come to mind.

Sure....I can think of lots of things.....none of which can't wait an hour or two if that's the time assigned to show up for check in.........

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gracie115 said:

Is getting there in time to eat lunch all that important?

I'm indifferent, but don't really need to know what's important to others.

Hope you don't really think you're going to change the way people operate.  If you do, you may want to find another platform (no clue what that would be)....cruise critic is no doubt a small % of cruisers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gracie115 said:

Sure....I can think of lots of things.....none of which can't wait an hour or two if that's the time assigned to show up for check in.........

Sorry, "Gracie115," but we cannot agree with you.  Here's why:

If two guests (or a family) have a long list of things to accomplish ... and if they have a 2:00-to-4:00 check-in time ... then the day just gets too "crowded" to put those things off for "an hour or two."

Consequently, they (understandably) wish to board the ship as early as possible.  Otherwise, E-Day (which ought to be fun) becomes a nightmare.

2 hours ago, Straughn said:

Concierge gets priority boarding, Aqua gets priority boarding, higher levels of Captain's Club get priority boarding.

You need to recheck the captains club benefits.   All priority boarding has been discontinued due to covid.  Only suites have priority boarding now.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jg51 said:

Sorry, "Gracie115," but we cannot agree with you.  Here's why:

If two guests (or a family) have a long list of things to accomplish ... and if they have a 2:00-to-4:00 check-in time ... then the day just gets too "crowded" to put those things off for "an hour or two."

Consequently, they (understandably) wish to board the ship as early as possible.  Otherwise, E-Day (which ought to be fun) becomes a nightmare.

A nightmare? Really????   How many of these things are really "must do" items?

Some people must really cruise differently than I do. My "must do" items when I get onboard consist of unpacking and then some type of celebratory beverage to toast the start of my journey.

• Like 5

Just now, bucfan2 said:

How dare them....perhaps post a protocol guide for others?

Just suggesting that if someone has so many items to accomplish that it is a "nightmare scenario" to lose a couple of hours, they might want to rethink it.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

... Some people must really cruise differently than I do.  ...

Yes! 

You "hit the nail on the head."

As the Family Stone put it, many years ago: "Different strokes for different folks."

Different priorities ... different personalities ... etc.

Our check-in time on 8/7 is between 12 and 12:30. But to be honest, we miss cruising so much we'll be overjoyed just being able to get in the check-in queue! However, the lessons learned we've gained from this thread will definitely help us deal with the worst case scenario the OP ran into. 😎

• Like 4

4 hours ago, terrydtx said:

One of the benefits of booking a suite on Celebrity is priority check-in and boarding so that they do not have to wait in lines at the terminal. If Celebrity wants to enforce this new policy then all Retreat guests should get the noon to 12:30pm priority check in times. Not being elitist but this is the reality and advantage of booking a suite.

My friend I do agree with you to have everything priority if you book a penthouse suite and above.

5 hours ago, terrydtx said:

One of the benefits of booking a suite on Celebrity is priority check-in and boarding so that they do not have to wait in lines at the terminal. If Celebrity wants to enforce this new policy then all Retreat guests should get the noon to 12:30pm priority check in times. Not being elitist but this is the reality and advantage of booking a suite.

Unfortunately this is exactly what suite passengers are doing as they have been told they can check in at anytime.

It appears most suite passengers showed up at the same time...thus the hour wait. It simply takes time to process a few hundred people in suites.

Therefore, they either need to prioritize based on order of checking in (much like SWA), OR by level of suites.

I would remind everyone that the OP, GeorgiaPeach51, is a savvy cruiser. When she posts she has something to say and she says it well. There is no bitching and moaning here, only a report to future Edge (X) cruisers that sometimes things just don't go smoothly. Forget the blame game and understand that perhaps the OP followed flawed instructions rather than make a scene and inconvenience others, even at her own expense. Personally, I think she refused to take her frustration and perhaps confusion  out on anyone. Feel fortunate that she gave her version of the embarkation process and how some future passengers might experience theirs.  

Edited by Spif Barwunkel
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Straughn said:

I was just going to say this. Suites get priority  boarding, Concierge gets priority boarding, Aqua gets priority boarding, higher levels of Captain's Club get priority boarding.  It is easier to count those passengers who don't get priority boarding. For the time being there should be no priority. At terminal 25 suites have a separate entrance, so maybe a little leeway there. But if a lot of suite passengers show up at noon, board them in the order of their assigned check in time. 

Reminds me of a flight out of SJC  (heart of Silicon Valley)   

The agent came on and said we will not be boarding Premier Plus early or everyone in the lounge would stand up and board at the same time.   "We regret the inconvenience".

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

I would remind everyone that the OP, GeorgiaPeach51, is a savvy cruiser. When she posts she has something to say and she says it well. There is no bitching and moaning here, only a report to future Edge (X) cruisers that sometimes things just don't go smoothly. Forget the blame game and understand that perhaps the OP followed flawed instructions rather than make a scene and inconvenience others, even at her own expense. Personally, I think she refused to take her frustration and perhaps confusion  out on anyone. Feel fortunate that she gave her version of the embarkation process and how some future passengers might experience theirs.  

Agree!  Thanks for pointing this out,  many new folks on this board who are not familuar with  past trusted posters

8 hours ago, helen haywood said:

One of the benefits of booking a Concierge Class cabin is priority boarding as well.

I believe this is inaccurate. According to Celebrity's website, CC gets priority check-in (not priority boarding), which has become obsolete with the advent of check-in via the app.

9 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

There is no bitching and moaning here, only a report to future Edge (X) cruisers that sometimes things just don't go smoothly.  

Really???  This thread complained about the "Terrible Check-In" when it was only 10 minutes past the scheduled check-in time.

• Like 2

On 7/17/2021 at 1:52 PM, mac_tlc said:

Sorry for your rocky start, and for the snarky comments. It doesn’t seem very difficult to have a few benches on that sidewalk, it certainly is big enough. We sail in two weeks in a SS and have a 2:30 check in time. We will be there at 2:15 or so. Couple hours on the ship is not worth the possibility of snaking through a hot line in the sun in FL in July with no seats. We will be at Disney after the cruise——- no reason to practice waiting in line in the heat. 

Either adhere to the times for all, or provide some reasonable facilities knowing it seems everyone wants to be first for some reason. 

mac_tlc

I noticed that the Covid rate at Disney is now very high.  Not the best place to be.  Hope that you are well and enjoying the cruise.  

What high COVID rate at Disney??    The folks working at WDW in Florida are not aware of this?!   Vaccinated guests are mask free in most areas, except for transportation.   Are you speaking about Florida as they have always had high infection rates.   Definitely safe for vaccinated visitors.

39 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

I noticed that the Covid rate at Disney is now very high.  Not the best place to be.  Hope that you are well and enjoying the cruise.  

Thank you, everyone is doing well.

We board the Edge on 7/31, then a week at/near Disney , then we board the Allure of the Seas on 8/15. 

All adults in our group are vaccinated, grandkids will be on Allure with us and are too young to be jabbed. We have an Aquatheater Suite so there is plenty of room and the kids will probably stay on board except at CoCoCay. 

We will roll with the punches and protocols, just good to be back at sea. 

Will most likely post during each cruise and I may live stream ( used to be Periscope 😢) too. 

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 1