The Daily for Saturday August 07, 2021

richwmn

34 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

As you may recall that happened to me because I mentioned a particular Captain's name in my post.  If you can't figure out what word is objectionable and try posting again, then try clicking on the report button on your above post and explain what happened.  Otherwise it could be 6 or 8 hours before a moderator gets to it.  

I think this website is going woke.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Saturday smile 🙂 

Interesting collection of days.  Campfires are pretty much gone here due to fire risk.  We’ve had lots of rain but wildfires happen all too easily in our forests and a number of our fire fighters are out West assisting with their fires.

Clowns are ok if they are at the circus.  Pretty sure that a lot of people will celebrate beer day:

7DD1CD13-C095-4392-BC80-5E25C61526DC.png.1c17565ce742cbd202ef876116478c58.png

I’ll celebrate this way:

A682FA7D-19A4-40F6-BC4A-9CA4C83BD04D.jpeg.adade2ffbdc28f192011c16d272656b2.jpeg

Love today’s quote.  BBQ chicken is on the menu tonight.

@StLouisCruisersit is a sad day for you today missing the graduation in person 😔 

@aliaschiefthose crab legs look wonderful!! Have a great time coming home to HAL 🙂 

@rafinmdhope you don’t have to wait too long to be able to post your Care & Celebratory list. 🤞 

You can’t really tell by the pic but these daylilies are absolutely huge.  As big as lilies!  I have no idea why they are so big this year but I’m holding out hope it’s a trend for this one for the future. 😉 

FB8ABBF9-998C-4EA8-A1A3-2C0F200C6522.thumb.jpeg.1a16590a47cb15ba87086dea0622882b.jpeg

Have to get out to get some jam and canning stuff (assuming I can find it) and then I have to get out in the garden before it gets too hot again.  I think I need to buy a bell and this sign:

1E4F4053-BA55-45A5-8E1A-A5BB95180DD1.thumb.jpeg.f0a96a0f03c83268d2461b46d9bb0ffe.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the to be published Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Saturday everyone!!!!

052366CD-A7FA-4F5A-816B-A34D8889B202.thumb.jpeg.fe782eefb39fe7aaccd734a978beb76a.jpeg

Stay safe and don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Five AM here but are bodies say seven AM Central. Great dinner at Elliott’s Seafood waterfront.

Marriott provides a shuttle for $10.00 each so we will be leaving for Pier 91 around 11:15.

The Alaskan Red Crab legs last night were the best crab I have ever had.

Thanks for the Daily.

image.thumb.jpeg.5653f542b604cc4dae5329cd478585bf.jpeg

Now those are crab legs! Wow!

• Like 14

Good morning all!

Sitting around a campfire is fun.  Didn’t like beer in my younger days (odd since my DH worked for a brewery). But my youngest DD introduced me to Amber Bock, which got me exploring other darker beers and now I’m a regular visitor to craft breweries. My husband was not fond of the German beers he had on our trips. Unfiltered and not cold enough for him. A former pastor performed as a clown, Mr. Goodheart, and I enjoyed it, but most clowns are scary.

May have to try a Bloody Aztec since I don’t like Bloody Mary’s. The dish would be great for my vegetarian kids, I’ll pass it on.

It has been fun vicariously cruising Alaska with posters. I enjoyed their experiences at Glacier Bay. Looking forward to week three already. Not sure how many times I’ve been to Glacier Bay (at least twice I did Hubbard). Probably 6 times with the most recent being June 2019. I will look for a picture or two later.

This post may be crossing the care and celebrations one from Roy, I’m check back. Hopefully this one will post because I gave up yesterday, I couldn’t post or like most of the day and into the evening.

A lazy day most of today, but off to dinner at Cafe Provençal and the theatre to see “Always, Patsy Cline” this evening.  Both these venues are distancing, limiting capacity and requiring masks. Given my county’s increasing Covid rates, there is a risk, but we are going. Given my health issues, I feel time is ticking away for enjoying some of these activities.

Take care all,

St Louis Sal

• Like 28

Good morning from central Texas where it will be cloudy until about 10 am and not reach the mid 90sF until noon.  I'll be heading out to mow the grass soon before it gets too hot.

We've enjoyed many campfires while on rv trips.  Unfortunately, this year it's probably too dry and dangerous to have a campfire in most places in the US and Canada.  I don't drink beer as often as I used to, but one is good on a hot summer day.  Clowns are okay, but not that high on my list.

I like today's quote.

We'll pass on the drink and the wine.  I'm going to look at today's recipes to see if the meal would be good for our vegetarians.

We've been to Glacier Bay at least three times, but our first time in 1993 was the best.  I'll look for pictures when I finish the yard and post some if they are not repeats.

@rafinmd Roy, I hope your post gets out of CC jail soon.

Lenda 

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 23

Good Morning: Thanks for the daily - we will be awaining Roy's "subversive" post. LOL.

Campfires bring back nice memories. I will have to drink an international beer today. Clowns werre once very popular but have gone way down in public perception in recent years.

Very perceptive quote from Kierkegaard.  Glacier Bay is one of those very special places on earth - just awesome. The dring today sound interesting but zi might try it without the red food coloring and just call it an Aztec.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 23

My Grandfather and Uncle worked at Baltimore breweries, so I have been drinking beer since I was a very little girl.  It was fairly common for us little ones to have a juice glass of beer at family parties.  I do believe that beer is somewhat of an acquired taste and I am so thankful that my parents helped me to acquire it!

Stay Safe, Everyone!

• Like 23

59 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning everyone!  Sorry to hear about Roy's post being objectionable but I'm sure it's just one of those "who knows why" type of things.  Thanks Rich for your work today putting the Daily together for us.  We should call you the publisher.  

I am sad because we can't be in Cincinnati today to watch our grandson graduate 15 months late due to Covid, but DD sent me a link so we can watch it live from home.  Ceremonies begin at 9 am eastern.  I hope we don't have any technical difficulties today!

Sending my best wishes to all our CC friends who will be boarding Nieuw Amsterdam in Seattle.  I can't wait to see how their cruise goes this week.  I'm also hoping to hear from Jeannie (Pescado Amarillo) on her blog since she hasn't been able to post for several days.  She will be on the Majestic Princess next so no doubt will have some type of internet package there.

Like many on here we've been to Glacier Bay several times and enjoyed its natural beauty each time.  Seems appropriate it is port destination of the day during the early weeks of the 2021 Alaska season.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKHE7MxJiwV0rLtlbJ2lhWR?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Sorry you are missing the graduation ceremony in person but nice you have a link to watch it.

Hopefully neither of you have covid19 but given the circumstances you did the safe thing to keep away and avoid mixing with potentially vulnerable family.

Take care and stay safe.

Graham.

• Like 17

Good morning from a very  wet morning in the PNW!  Loving this rain we're getting, especially because it's going to heat up again --  close to 90 F next week. I really hope it cools down again after that because our son will be coming up from CA for a few days and staying with us.  We haven't seen him since Christmas 2019 🙂  

I love sitting around a campfire, but this summer it's either been too dry (burn bans) or today would be too wet.  I only like dark beers, especially Guinness, and then only on a hot day or with pizza. 😉  I can take or leave clowns, and will pass on the meal.

Finally somewhere I've been, but my photos aren't handy so will sit back and enjoy others' photos of Glacier Bay! 

• Like 19

Some photos from May 2008

The day started VERY foggy

25766374_1Rock.thumb.jpg.fea0e893776c0895ed952e3be70ff854.jpg

Soon began clearing

589843650_2Beginningtoclear.thumb.jpg.a8d9ac63665b51f6a43e14933ecd8935.jpg

And finally the sun was shining

1157792938_3Glacialvalley.thumb.jpg.7d0364c08912a8cba059a1d906e85b57.jpg

A splash at Margerie Glacier

1820760428_4MargerieGlacierSplash.thumb.jpg.5e9e314b5fe0151da87ee2f8d3b47705.jpg

Between the major glaciers

1002611555_5BetweenGlaciers.thumb.jpg.3b47813c2b98faac667a7ea840bed001.jpg

Johns Hopkins Glacier

326417257_6JohnsHopkinsGlacier.thumb.jpg.16762c12ffd57b92c75441e2a16e836f.jpg

I was able to get several calvings as my camera takes multiple shots when I hold the button down. Will see if I can select one and post later

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Good morning Dailyites. Thank you Rich for this great thread and Fleet report. I'm sorry Roy didn't get his post in. It will come through. 

Got our shower hardware ordered and headed back to Georgetown for lunch at Fish City Grill. Halibut is back on the menu and 4 large swamp coolers are on the patio now. We took Elvis on a neighborhood ride and joined friends for a night cap. Nothing much but Farmer's market today. I made a pot roast in the crockpot yesterday but too full from lunch, so that's what's for dinner.

Clowns scare me, no to beer although I added 2 bottles to the roast, and campfires I love. We can not have open fires in Sun City, but we have a corner fire pit that we enjoy.

Bon Voyage to our CC members leaving on NA. Cheers, prayers and blessings. 

image.png.b6f15e73f6785461e9afd8c4b1fee2cc.png

image.png.a9b3c5a15020166efe4efeed2bbd775b.png

• Like 22
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone.   

It was a good trip to Columbus yesterday and also good to see some friends for the first time in almost two years.  

My neighbors and I occasionally get together around the fire pit for an outdoor happy hour.  We started that at the beginning of the pandemic and continue the practice.  I'll skip the beer and leave the clowns in the circus.  

@rafinmd How strange that you need moderator approval.   Didn't that happen to someone else on this thread?

Today's meal might appeal to the vegetarians in the family.  Seems like a lot of work for a mushroom to me, but I'm a dedicated carnivore.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/vegetarian-chicken-fried-portobello-mushroom-steaks-3363569

1890278247_Vegetarianchickenfriedportobellomushroomsteaks.jpeg.06b400cd27e5a1e3cb79b1eeb9d58485.jpeg

It looks mouth watering!

• Like 5

Well that was nice watching the ceremony online.  The graduates names were called and photos taken by a photographer, but the diplomas were mailed to them last year.  Doctoral candidates brought the hoods with them for their deans to do the hooding ceremony.  Here is a photo I took from a print screen as his name was announced.  His school is the University of Cincinnati, Carl H. Linder College of Business.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK82tELIc7-jSbhsikr4PjTVZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Not as good as being there but I'll take it!  They all wore masks while seated, and the audience was told to wear masks.  

DH and I are both still feeling well so I guess we cancelled in " an abundance of caution". ((cruise line language))  If any of our family members catch Covid in the next week or so, they can't blame us!  😁

• Like 29

Rich Thanks for the DAILY Fleet report.  I like the meal offering and U\I love Glacier Bay.  I have been blessed to cruise the Bay on many times.  I always look forward to Glacier Bay. . Thanks to all qho have posted today.  

• Like 8

I will try a bit of divide and conquer.

Today’s care list:

Those on the float plane that went down and their families
 Welfare of furloughed crews
Western wildfires    
Kazu’s friend with fall and brain bleed(Out of ICU)
St Louis Cruisers brush with Covid and missing graduation
NextOne DDIL with long haul Covid
From the rotation:
Scout Jamie C recovering from major surgery
Kazu’s friend recovering from a brain bleed

Roy

• Like 26
  • Thanks 4

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Welcome aboard msmayor
Bon Voyage Aliaschief, bobpatj, and Copper10_8

Front Line Health Care Workers
Neptune suite for Aliaschief
Welcome home Crazy for Cats
Ger_77's family visit
garlictown in Maui
Better outcome than expected for Ger_77's friend
Denise on her wilderness adventure
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for the sailaway Saturday Daily, Rich.  I'll salute both campfires and clowns but will pass on the beer.  I love the Kierkegaard quote.  Glacier Bay is awesome.  Vegetarian steak does not sound appealing.  I'm starting to speculate that somehow Cruise Critic may have objected to the Alternate Menu Selection, from MS Prinsendam August 7, 2011, Assorted Garden Greens and the first entree from this menu:

https://arctictriple.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/menup14.pdf

Roy

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2