Will the current lockdowns impact the restart of cruising here?

14 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

We currently have three cars in the yard, two have had flat batteries in the last couple of weeks.

I can beat that. Christine was going to the shops the other day and discovered the battery  in her car was  flat so I drove her  in my car and waited in the carpark  for her. She came back and when I went to start my car……..flat battery. So two flat batteries within an hour……………..I called it  CARVID. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Porky55 said:

Yep much prefer the reusable ones - disposable masks will become the next critical overload at rubbish dumps - take forever to break down. Reusable could be recycled into dolls clothes 😆

Unfortunately, I have a lot of trouble breathing in the reusable masks. Meds etc.

With the disposables, I do make sure to cut off the elastics, removes a choking hazard for birds and othe little creatures.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Unfortunately, I have a lot of trouble breathing in the reusable masks. Meds etc.

With the disposables, I do make sure to cut off the elastics, removes a choking hazard for birds and othe little creatures.

Sorry. I am having a laugh at the idea of birds and other little creatures putting on the discarded masks. I know that isn't what you meant, but .....

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Sorry. I am having a laugh at the idea of birds and other little creatures putting on the discarded masks. I know that isn't what you meant, but .....

Especially without the elastic to hold them in place......😀

Edited by possum52

46 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

Lesson learned the hard way, if wearing glasses and a mask do not suck on strong mints. The fumes get in your eyes and make them water like a tap.

Thanks. I eat mints and wear the masks but not usually at once. 

8 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Kind gesture. If you put disposable masks in your big plastic bag of rubbish do they eventually make their way in to the environment ?  Surely people don’t throw them on the ground.

6 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Absolutely.... there everywhere....    the latest form of litter......

It makes you wonder where they come from, as when outside you are meant to be wearing one....

Don

I have noticed a few discarded disposable type masks in the car parks down here. People throw them away when they get into their motor car. 🤬

Filthy grubs.

Edited by NSWP

4 hours ago, Porky55 said:

Yep much prefer the reusable ones - disposable masks will become the next critical overload at rubbish dumps - take forever to break down. Reusable could be recycled into dolls clothes

A Kiwi company which already uses recycleable plastic to make fence posts, has worked out how to add old disposable masks to the process.

They are currently able to handle 5m masks per month, and are setting up collection points and are planning to expand the number of masks able to be recycled.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Many masks are just discarded everywhere. I have even seen them in wetlands and other nature environments.

Little creators get tangled in the attached elastics and get choked, starve because they can’t eat, other unpleasantries.

It is like the old plastics that held six packs. So many animals suffered from those.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Many masks are just discarded everywhere. I have even seen them in wetlands and other nature environments.

Little creators get tangled in the attached elastics and get choked, starve because they can’t eat, other unpleasantries.

It is like the old plastics that held six packs. So many animals suffered from those.

We carry those tiny rolls of the thin plastic bags usually used by dog owners. Once we take our masks off they go into a bag and the bag is tied off. When we get home disposable masks go in the bin, reusable masks go in the laundry for washing.

14 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Victoria’s special secret today is 61. Only 22 in full iso.

Tomorrow’s lotto is starting with a jackpot of 16.

Very real concern of the growing numbers in Shepparton, 200km from Melbourne.

I guess today's numbers started with the 17 from Shepparton announced during yesterday. So an extra 44 to middnight which I assume are in metro Melbourne.

56 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Absolutely.... there everywhere....    the latest form of litter......

It makes you wonder where they come from, as when outside you are meant to be wearing one....

Don

50 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I have noticed a few discarded disposable type masks in the car parks down here. People throw them away when they get into their motor car. 🤬

Filthy grubs.

We live about 800m from our neighbourhood shopping centre, on a walking route to other parts of our suburb from the shops. We regularly find discarded masks on the path outside our home - guess they consider they are far enough from the shops to chuck them.

Oh, before and during COVID we have always found coffee cups and takeaway food containers also. 

I just cannot understand why people think it's OK to dump their rubbish anywhere they like. Filthy pigs! It's not going to kill them to carry their rubbish to the nearest bin or even home with them. Some LGAs don't make it easy though as there aren't sufficient bins around. I know some of this lack goes back to a bomb incident, but other places cope OK. In Europe we often saw metal rings holding heavy clear plastic rubbish bags which were changed regularly. 

48 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I just cannot understand why people think it's OK to dump their rubbish anywhere they like. Filthy pigs! It's not going to kill them to carry their rubbish to the nearest bin or even home with them. Some LGAs don't make it easy though as there aren't sufficient bins around. I know some of this lack goes back to a bomb incident, but other places cope OK. In Europe we often saw metal rings holding heavy clear plastic rubbish bags which were changed regularly. 

With the blasé attitude toward a deadly disease that some of the masses are demonstrating, I can believe any filthy attitude they adopt. There are some people of my local acquaintance that I  will be giving a wide berth in future having seen and heard their attitude to the current situation.

1 hour ago, mr walker said:

We live about 800m from our neighbourhood shopping centre, on a walking route to other parts of our suburb from the shops. We regularly find discarded masks on the path outside our home - guess they consider they are far enough from the shops to chuck them.

Oh, before and during COVID we have always found coffee cups and takeaway food containers also. 

Same here in Caloundra I saw 5 new masks today, The Hungry Jacks employ someone to clear up the wrappings and cups but I notice the masks are left there !! He’s obviously not on piece work

.Cheers Carole

16 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I had no idea hearing aids are so expensive.

That would be two cruises!

I only put on my mask when I get out of my car.

Lwe don’t have to wear one outside any more

I've had my hearing aids catch on my mask and flipped off. I'm getting better at it now. If you lose one (or two - I once lost two) check your home contents policy to see if they are covered. For a little extra in premium mine are now covered for loss or damage. BTW they were $6000 a pair 6 years ago so may be up to about $8000 now.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I've had my hearing aids catch on my mask and flipped off. I'm getting better at it now. If you lose one (or two - I once lost two) check your home contents policy to see if they are covered. For a little extra in premium mine are now covered for loss or damage. BTW they were $6000 a pair 6 years ago so may be up to about $8000 now.

Yes, good advice. I have included mine on the home contents policy, along with my mobile phone.

14 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Wow. I still can’t believe the cost for such a tiny thing. Not wanting to watch Melbourne Demonstration I switched to SBS ABC news. 
it was full of shocking news re  umber of positive cases increasing and hospitals getting swamped with patients, 28 year old vaccinated patient who died from complications, private health insurance not going to pay for covid extras from the end of the month. 

Good hearing aids are worth paying for. I am yet to meet a person who is still wearing their free hearing aids, all I have met so far tell me they are at home in a drawer somewhere.

BTW I'm glad to find that I'm not the only one who gets the elastic of a mask caught in their hearing aids.

4 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

Good hearing aids are worth paying for. I am yet to meet a person who is still wearing their free hearing aids, all I have met so far tell me they are at home in a drawer somewhere.

BTW I'm glad to find that I'm not the only one who gets the elastic of a mask caught in their hearing aids.

Until this week, when I went to the gym I wore a neck wrap that I could quickly lift into position when I moved from one exercise machine to the next one. However, as the weather has got a bit warmer, it is now too hot. BTW, it is a neck wrap made for Antarctic travel! While we are on the machines and exerting ourselves, we don't have to wear masks. With the usual style of mask, I found it was flipping my hearing aids off when I removed it. I didn't want to do the obvious and keep the mask on the whole time. My solution (as I mentioned earlier) was to make a 'connector' that sits at the back of my neck. It is so easy to drop the mask when I want to and because it isn't anywhere near my hearing aids, I don't have to worry about them being flipped off onto the floor.