Ovation Turned Away Half a Dozen Unvaccinated Cruisers in Seattle

SeaHunt

10 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Just playing devil's advocate here.  I'm booked on Ovation in October and my app says nothing like that.  I see all the health questions that are grayed out for 24 hours before departure, but nowhere on the app.....so far, at least....does it say that I need to be vaccinated and need to show proof.  Even on the Health tab, it addresses app check-in, health questions, and reentry.  Nothing about vaccination.

Again, just pointing out what I see.  Of course, I know that I need to be vaccinated because I'm thorough and savvy about the rules.  I did see the requirement on RCI's website.  

Since the situation is fluid, I noticed the link below is only for Aug. Probably will be the same for Sept. and when we cruise in Oct. I will be keeping an eye on this link.

I think the app may update as we get closer. I’m just glad, for once, there will be no flying, anywhere, needed. 😉

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/the-healthy-sail-center/getting-ready-to-cruise

2 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

Since the situation is fluid, I noticed the link below is only for Aug. Probably will be the same for Sept. and when we cruise in Oct. I will be keeping an eye on this link.

I think the app may update as we get closer. I’m just glad, for once, there will be no flying, anywhere, needed. 😉

Oh yeah, that's the part of the site I saw when I booked, and I did notice it referred to August only.   In fact, I found that interesting since they're only a couple weeks away from the Sep sailings.

But Ir657 said it's on the app.  Do you see it anywhere there?  I can't find it anywhere.  Not that it matters; if anything, I'm due for a booster.  I was vaccinated way back in January.  🙂

1 hour ago, lr657 said:

The information regarding the vaccine requirement is on the Royal website. It is also included in the app/online check-in where you have to check that you are vaccinated and can show proof at boarding. The vaccination requirement for the sailings out of Seattle has not changed, it has been required from the start. The recent change was the pre-cruise testing requirement for all passengers, which they seemed to know about. I find it very difficult to believe that they weren't aware of the vaccination requirement. 

THIS👆  If these people had the heads up to know about the testing protocols, then they should have known about the vaccination requirements which were established first. 

• Like 3

Please don't excuse these folks by saying they  are elderly or  are not computer/phone savvy.  Something tells me that are not the only  retired seniors on the cruise.   EVERYONE else managed to learn the correct information.    

M

• Like 18

10 minutes ago, lovescats5 said:

We were discussing this and were divided on what the protocol.  If you booked with a TA would you expect him/her to let you know what was required for your sailing.

I would expect my TA to keep informed as to protocols necessary.  Maybe that's unrealistic?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lovescats5 said:

We were discussing this and were divided on what the protocol.  If you booked with a TA would you expect him/her to let you know what was required for your sailing.

A TA may, but take responsibility for my money and my travels!  Things are constantly changing but a handy checklist was provided for my B2B Adventure cruises and for my OV test cruise. I knew exactly what the airlines requirements were for entering the country/state (Bahamas & Seattle) as to Covid test, mask, etc. was required. We are all grown and need to be accountable and help the X, Y Z generations get onboard.

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, lovescats5 said:

10 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

I would expect my TA to keep informed as to protocols necessary.  Maybe that's unrealistic?

I would, also, have that expectation as they technically, as I understand it, own the reservation and RCI won't even deal with you directly. However, I know myself well enough to know I would never count on someone else to look after my business. It is just the way I am.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Everyone keeps blaming the ta. For all we know it was some big box site or a store that's give you shoppers cards and not known for dispensing cruise advise. The ta could be any site.

Just another good to have a TA you know and trust.  My TA has been great knows what I like and looks out for me.  This case she knew of should of known.  Can't afford a  problem coming up you should not travel.  

Too many US citizens are either not vaccinated or do not have passports. What about the rest of the world travelling public do you not understand. These are the only two situations where problems are created. I say if you want to travel, get on board with International protocol. 

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, mek said:

Glad to hear this.  I have a DIL who had Covid back in November and so far she had not been vaccinated, but said she probably would if it was the only way to cruise.  Amazing what things will motivate someone to step up to the plate and do the right thing.

Edited by SSBrickNJ

22 hours ago, SSBrickNJ said:

This is to everyone and not just the nice individual I am quoting:

Not all folks are tuned in like those on Cruise Critic.

Somehow I got the impression that RCL WOULD let passengers on if they had a negative Covid test 72 hours or less prior to departure. It is harsh to say that people are ignorant...maybe they are busy and not as attentive as they should be. I'm trying to pop in here once a month so I am up to date. I'm sure glad I chose to do so today!

With all the insanity going on right now, anyone who doesn't stay on top of this is just throwing the dice. They did, and they lost.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, FLcruisergrl said:

So throwing a fit should ban someone for life? Wow!  Okayyyyy…

Yes?

I mean it's a cruise line. It's not health care or even a library card. People live happy, full lives never setting foot on a cruise ship at all. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, hellsop said:

Yes?

I mean it's a cruise line. It's not health care or even a library card. People live happy, full lives never setting foot on a cruise ship at all. 

I would wager about 80% of the people who post on CC would not agree with you!  LOL

• Like 1

23 hours ago, SSBrickNJ said:

Seeking an answer as well.

I am vaccinated but my wife and daughter have thus far chosen not to be.

We have a RCL cruise out of Cape Liberty NJ in December.

???My wife and daughter can have a negative result on a Covid test within the 72 hours timeframe before sailing and they or good to go?...Or....like this thread's topic...everyone needs to be vaccinated?

Your wife, and your daughter if over 12, will not be able to sail out of NJ / Cape Liberty. Try Florida.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hellsop said:

Yes?

I wish our vacation community could ban every tourist that throws a fit when they come here- especially when they are wrong- disobeying basic traffic signals and every day knowledge.  It's like they have never seen a red light or stop sign before. LOL  And then pitch the biggest fits when someone honks at them.  OR the dang grocery store doesn't have their same orange juice from back home.   Newflash idiots... you left "back home" to come on a vacay to get away from "Back home."  LOL 

And if these cruisers pitched a fit (although I get the impression they knew the rules and tried to take a chance... using phrases like "expect Royal Caribbean to make us whole..." They have definitely had experience with lawsuits and litigation before.) they probably had more to be upset about than no-one having the same brand of orange juice   
I don't think they deserve a lifetime ban.  After all, they didn't even get on the ship. 

That said, if we can start banning people for being stupid- this world is going to get a lot more pleasant for people with any sense. 

• Like 4

23 hours ago, SSBrickNJ said:

Seeking an answer as well.

I am vaccinated but my wife and daughter have thus far chosen not to be.

We have a RCL cruise out of Cape Liberty NJ in December.

???My wife and daughter can have a negative result on a Covid test within the 72 hours timeframe before sailing and they or good to go?...Or....like this thread's topic...everyone needs to be vaccinated?

The rules for Cape Liberty aren't out yet, but I would check the website a lot, there is a dropdown for the rules for each port the sail from, and once cruising resumes from Cape Liberty it will be there too.

• Like 1

I have more sympathy than most of you for them for not knowing about the vax rqmt.  Some people are not critical thinkers, don't read their mail, don't talk to people and just don't like to investigate anything. They often have gotten by because other people have enabled them by doing everything for them. 

That does not mean they should board, but I don't quite get the gleeful vengeance calls on here. Hard for the successful to remember that some people are, well, just dumb.

No excuses for not being vaxxed, though. That is another level of dumb.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

So, if I read correctly, they called the news media before anyone else?  Seems to me, if I were turned away from that cruise, I would be on the phone to my travel agent who should be setting up in a hotel in Seattle and arranging air home.  Something just doesn't jive here.  I think they knew about having to be vaccinated and just tried to buck the system.  Sorry, I don't buy their story, especially when the woman said they wanted Royal Caribbean to 'make them whole'.....as if they had all that planned.  Throwing blame on the cruise line pretty much invalidates their whole rant.

• Like 9

On 8/14/2021 at 5:52 PM, Jasukkie said:

I could have my cruises confused but I'm pretty sure we had to upload copies of our vaccination cards for our September sailing to Alaska on Ovation. Did they miss that step?

I am on Ovation leaving Sep 1st. I don’t see anywhere to upload my vaccination card. Where is that?  I checked my app and don’t see it. 

5 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Just playing devil's advocate here.  I'm booked on Ovation in October and my app says nothing like that.  I see all the health questions that are grayed out for 24 hours before departure, but nowhere on the app.....so far, at least....does it say that I need to be vaccinated and need to show proof.  Even on the Health tab, it addresses app check-in, health questions, and reentry.  Nothing about vaccination.

Again, just pointing out what I see.  Of course, I know that I need to be vaccinated because I'm thorough and savvy about the rules.  I did see the requirement on RCI's website.  

I think Ovation is sailing from Florida, and cruises from Florida can't require proof of vaccination.

Edit: my mistake, it's sailing from Seattle.

Edited by lr657