People who haven't sailed Radiance class in quite awhile....

Moltar

Do you miss it?  I never thought I would but I really do. They have the best Schooner Bar in the fleet. I miss it so much. I also really miss every venue having direct views to the sea.  I'm in my 40's now so all the bells and whistles aren't as important anymore.  Know what else I miss? They still have a true Cinema with stadium seating. Sure its a little gimmicky if you will but I love it. Nice to have that option maybe on rainy sea day or something.  I also love where SeaView Cafe is, now Izumi. SeaView Cafe was the hidden little food gem back in the day.

Anyone who hasn't sailed on one in awhile, Are there things you miss about Radiance class ships?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes I miss Radiance Class, I love the Viking Crown Lounge, Solarium and the wonderful aft balcony cabins, last seen on Serenade in December 2019 😢. My first Royal cruise was Radiance, so this class has a special place in my heart.

(also in my 40’s but still love all the bells and whistles of the bigger ships too, Oasis class is my favourite)

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, BettyCruiser said:

I love Radiance Class. We're sailing Serenade October next year!

We're sailing on Serenade Sept & Oct 2022. I for one will always miss the SeaView Cafe !!!!

• Like 4

Last five cruise's was on Radiance. B2b New Zealand, a TP and a cupple of Beautiful South Pacific one's . Miss the fantastic crew ,being able to see the sea all that glass and the windjammer surprise. On deck BBQ .😃

20191203_191109.jpg

20191206_114659.jpg

20191206_134611.jpg

• Like 4

I've missed cruising, too. I just booked Freedom of the Seas (Miami) Bahamas & Cococay for Sept, 2022.  I sailed Liberty last year (January) right before everything shut down, and I was on Radiance in 2019 for Alaska. Looking forward to enjoying cruise-life, again.

It's 13 months away, and I hope that the virus isn't still making it so difficult to get onboard. I guess I'll just have to wait and see. I was surprised that I wasn't able to book with a refundable deposit. My travel agent said RCCL said that it wasn't available. I booked anyway and risked the $. I booked an Aft Balcony cabin.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, miles4us2go said:

I was surprised that I wasn't able to book with a refundable deposit. My travel agent said RCCL said that it wasn't available. I booked anyway and risked the $. I booked an Aft Balcony cabin.

Your travel agent either isn't very good at their job, or they were lying.  

Refundable deposits are still a thing unless you book a suite.  If you have a non-suite balcony, you should have been able to book a refundable rate.  

• Like 1

My favourite class of ship, feels like you are really at sea, love all the windows. We were on Jewel on one of the last cruises in Feb 2020 and hope to be on Radiance in Nov 2022 (if Australia will let us in). We've done a couple of TAs on this class and think they are perfect for that too.

• Like 3

Never cruised before, and booked Radiance for Alaska next May! I keep seeing all of the larger ships being discussed and sometimes feel like we will be missing out on the bells and whistles, but I know that a smaller ship will be better for Alaska and I might be spending most of my time looking off the boat......

but I’m hanging out here living vicariously through y’all! (And already saved $100 per person due to learning you can reprice your cruise from the boards!)

• Like 2

Haven't sailed on Radiance class in awhile either...err...actually haven't sailed on ANY ship for awhile.  😉 

Love, love the Radiance four ladies as my favorite.  Not too big, not too small.  More of an elegant design with lots of windows. 

I try to snag a corner aft cabin...2nd choice is "hump cabin". 

Love the outside WJ as well as others mentioned (though I do miss Sea View Cafe).   Chef's table set up is lovely in the elegant looking conference room just off the aft lounge.  

I also enjoy the CL on Radiance, with the half circle bar and the outside area.  Plus DL is right across the hallway.  The aft lounges with that nice dance floor and sweeping floor to ceiling windows aft,  is a treat also (plus same on Vision class, which I also like 😉 ).  

• Like 2

My transatlantic from FL to Copenhagen on Serenade was a trip I'll never forget. I loved the ship, the activities -- especially for solo and single travelers, the itinerary (Portugal, Spain, France, England, Belgium, Denmark), I think out of all my cruises I remember Serenade to be on top of my list of great cruises. There was nothing not to LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!!  I will certainly book her in the future.  @Tree_skier yes, I am green with envy that you are on her right now.  Enjoy your cruise and thanks for the live reviews -- much appreciated!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Eileen G said:

I am also on the Serenade right now. I love the outside seating in the Windjammer, the glass elevators that look out to the ocean and the Viking Crown lounge.

Breakfast was perfect this morning. 

9DAF2209-8641-4C82-A21D-7A35258BC3E2.thumb.jpeg.105b863657e76c800010882d3b9399fc.jpeg

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Moltar said:

Anyone who hasn't sailed on one in awhile, Are there things you miss about Radiance class ships?

It's been 11 years since I've sailed Radiance Class.  I wrestled with Serenade or Ovation for my AK cruise this year, but Ovation won because I've never sailed that class and wanted to see it.  I still think Radiance Class are the most attractive looking ships in the RCI fleet.  

00-0_Wi3W2U0uKovxFP3LfRUyRTFzTES0RSTkIuxhiUvvZwI6qmyRgiz-QvIK6ooxYc?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1455471221

Edited by Aquahound
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, island lady said:

Haven't sailed on Radiance class in awhile either...err...actually haven't sailed on ANY ship for awhile.  😉 

Love, love the Radiance four ladies as my favorite.  Not too big, not too small.  More of an elegant design with lots of windows. 

I try to snag a corner aft cabin...2nd choice is "hump cabin". 

Love the outside WJ as well as others mentioned (though I do miss Sea View Cafe).   Chef's table set up is lovely in the elegant looking conference room just off the aft lounge.  

I also enjoy the CL on Radiance, with the half circle bar and the outside area.  Plus DL is right across the hallway.  The aft lounges with that nice dance floor and sweeping floor to ceiling windows aft,  is a treat also (plus same on Vision class, which I also like 😉 ).  

Yep, best Chef's Table setup in the fleet.

However, pool deck is crowded in my opinion

Nice when they open the solarium, but also nice when the AC is running😉

Back in the day they did a nice iverflow lounge setup in Safari Lounge. Doubt we'll see that again.

And no one mentioned rotating bar in VCL

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 3

So many things to love about the Radiance class.  Open air windjammer seating, large aft balconies without a lot of superstructure to block the view, smaller more intimate ship with lots of ocean views including the elevators, fun art work at the top of the elevator banks,  not getting a day in the solarium interrupted by rain.  Easy to get around without walking too far.  We are the Radiance again in summer of 2022. I also like that they are usually more interesting and longer itineraries.  

While the DH likes the bigger ships, this is my favorite class.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Kathscof said:

Never cruised before, and booked Radiance for Alaska next May! I keep seeing all of the larger ships being discussed and sometimes feel like we will be missing out on the bells and whistles, but I know that a smaller ship will be better for Alaska and I might be spending most of my time looking off the boat......

but I’m hanging out here living vicariously through y’all! (And already saved $100 per person due to learning you can reprice your cruise from the boards!)

You have made an EXCELLENT choice for your first RC cruise!  

• Like 1