CRUISING WITHOUT AN IPHONE

3red7s

Hello everyone.  My BIL & sister will be doing a short cruise with us on the SOS in December.  My hubby & I both have IPHONES.  My BIL & sister, being older, do not.  How will this impact them? What tasks CANNOT be done without an Iphone?  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. 

31 minutes ago, 3red7s said:

Hello everyone.  My BIL & sister will be doing a short cruise with us on the SOS in December.  My hubby & I both have IPHONES.  My BIL & sister, being older, do not.  How will this impact them? What tasks CANNOT be done without an Iphone?  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. 

We are very old and do not use any type of electronic devices on a cruise .

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, 3red7s said:

There isn't anything that has to be done on an iPhone.  If they have a different smart phone, that works too.  If they don't have a smart phone, they can make reservations on the interactive tv.  Paper menus are still available if they don't read a QR code.  They will need to print their setsail passes if they don't have them in the app.  My 84 yr old mother uses the app on the ship to see the compass and to see what reservations we all have as you can link and see reservations for all in your party.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 3red7s said:

What does older have to do with it?

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

12 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

I have rarely seen anyone less than 50 yo without a smart phone and NEVER seen anyone 15-30 yo without one....Over 65 I surely have seen and as a matter of fact, I have a brother who is 64 that has no cell phone and doesn't watch TV!!!! He's an oddity for sure but not alone in that way. I think that might just be what they mean. I'm 68 and have struggled but try. Pretty sure you're joking but hard to tell online now. Peace! 😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 3red7s said:

This is a joke, right?

5 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

There isn't anything that has to be done on an iPhone.  If they have a different smart phone, that works too.  If they don't have a smart phone, they can make reservations on the interactive tv.  Paper menus are still available if they don't read a QR code.  They will need to print their setsail passes if they don't have them in the app.  My 84 yr old mother uses the app on the ship to see the compass and to see what reservations we all have as you can link and see reservations for all in your party.

Hello,

I have TWO smart 'phones - a Microsoft Windows 10 'phone and a BlackBerry, neither of which can download the app. Both can read QR codes but all that is is a URL link to relevant page(s) in the app.

Speaking on recent experience on Anthem for two weeks: Paper menus are available IN the restaurants, but not outside eg DL; the interactive TV can only show your account status, order room service and in-cabin movies - it cannot book activities. Activities, eg North Star, can be booked from 8.30 using the app on the morning you want to go but can only be booked from 10.00 by telephone or by presenting yourself at the SeaPlex sports complex in person at 8.30.

Regards,

Cublet

• Like 2

They can cruise without phones.  They will need to see crew to make reservations for shows, meals and activities that require reservations.

SOS could be Symphony or Serenade so it's hard to predict the impact of cruising without phones without knowing which ship.  Symphony has more shows and potential activities that need reservations, Serenade fewer.  

To board they will need more time in the terminal to have things like health questions asked the old way, by a human, but they will eventually get on board.  

The app makes things faster and easier but isn't an absolute hard requirement to sail.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, thomasale said:

I have rarely seen anyone less than 50 yo without a smart phone and NEVER seen anyone 15-30 yo without one....Over 65 I surely have seen and as a matter of fact, I have a brother who is 64 that has no cell phone and doesn't watch TV!!!! He's an oddity for sure but not alone in that way. I think that might just be what they mean. I'm 68 and have struggled but try. Pretty sure you're joking but hard to tell online now. Peace! 😉

The OP said that because they were older, they didn't have an IPhone, not any phone

7 hours ago, cruisinfanatic said:

My inlaws doesn't have a smart phone and refuse to get one.  They don't even have internet at home.  They still have a land line.  That being said some people of a certain age do not embrace new technology they don't understand or feel they need

• Like 4

2 hours ago, nascarcruiser said:

My inlaws doesn't have a smart phone and refuse to get one.  They don't even have internet at home.  They still have a land line.  That being said some people of a certain age do not embrace new technology they don't understand or feel they need

see post 15

14 hours ago, 3red7s said:

So do they have another type of smart phone than an iPhone, or no smart phone at all?

• Like 1

People who own Iphones think there are no other types of phones lol.

We have had Google Pixel's  and have never owned an Iphone and we do just fine haha.

Edited by BND
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

I thought the OPs post was because people with iPhones were able to imsg each other on the cruiseship and keep in contact (but my last cruise with RCCL was in 2018, so they might have fixed that loophole).