Tell me this isn't a Royal Caribbean Ship is it?

Jimbo

7 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

Agree, looks very ugly for real ship lovers but many Royal ships have them added now (All Freedom and Voyager Class exept Explorer and now Oasis as well). 

I remember hearing that when the Radiance class came out - too many balconies, no proper 'ocean liner' profile.  🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

Doesn’t look like too much space was sacrificed, which is good. Just gotta keep things in balance. Some lines are building ships with so many “toys” you lose the concept of a lido deck. Especially if big chunks of what space is left over are turnEd over to pay areas or exclusive ship-within-a-ship zones. 

What "concept" would that be?  Just food, pools, and loungers?   Kind of a bland concept, if you ask me.  I love cruising, but just laying out side getting burnt is far from appealing.  Going down a water slide or playing in an artificial surf sounds a lot more fun to me.

There are plenty of ships that just have food, pools, and loungers for the "old school" cruisers out there.  

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Sorry, I meant to say, never saw a water slide as large as that one on a Royal Ship...............Have seen smaller shorter ones then the above one I posted.

Of course it's large. It's Oasis.  Everything is 50% bigger. Except the Windjammer. lol

Edited by HBE4

2 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Nothing new. When started on Royal in 80's you could Skeet Shoot and hit Golf Balls off open Deck. 90's Ice Skating and Roller Blade. 2000's Rock Climbing. And Now...

Cliff Diving! Remember the cliff diving on Wide World of Sports back in the day? Now that would be a great addition to cruise ships. It wouldn't have to be the height of the cliffs in Acapulco, just 50 ft. or 75ft.  Lots of fun watching folks jumping off into a deep pool and screaming 😱 all the way down. The added bonus would be it would turn the medical clinic into a BIG profit center.😊

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

Cliff Diving! Remember the cliff diving on Wide World of Sports back in the day? Now that would be a great addition to cruise ships. It wouldn't have to be the height of the cliffs in Acapulco, just 50 ft. or 75ft.  Lots of fun watching folks jumping off into a deep pool and screaming 😱 all the way down. The added bonus would be it would turn the medical clinic into a BIG profit center.😊

If you are ever in Acapulco be sure to go to this restaurant, Really an exciting evening and beautiful. Dinner and a show.

https://www.expedia.com/things-to-do/cliff-diving-show-at-la-perla-restaurant.a437169.activity-details?endDate=2021-11-11&location=Acapulco%2C Guerrero%2C Mexico&rid=179991&startDate=2021-10-28

Edited by Jimbo

11 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Found the picture somewhere, think it was priceline. Just have never seen a waterslide on a Royal Caribbean ship.

Don't like it, rather just see that on a Water Park  or at Coco Cay.

Just doesn't belong on a cruise ship IMHO.

Anyone agree with me?

I agree. If I want a water slide, bumper cars or any other amusement park attractions I go to an amusement park where they do a better job. That slide is just an eyesore and just distracts from cruising experience. You will never see me on an Oasis class ship. Too big and a lot of attractions that just don't interest me.   We prefer Celebrity or Princess and will only sail on Royal Caribbean out of Cape Liberty on nothing larger than Anthem because we can drive to port.  I don't know why you even sail on Royal Caribbean especially the Oasis Class. It seems that Princess or Celebrity would be a better choice for you.  Royal Caribbean knows their audience who want bigger and all the bells and whistles.

41 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

What "concept" would that be?  Just food, pools, and loungers?   Kind of a bland concept, if you ask me.  I love cruising, but just laying out side getting burnt is far from appealing.  Going down a water slide or playing in an artificial surf sounds a lot more fun to me.  

To me (and I’m only taking about me here, to each their own) it’s not the actual pool or sun lounger, it’s the concept of being on top of a ship. Wide open space. Surrounded by ocean. Breeze in my hair (er, breeze against scalp where hair used to be.)

Flowriders fit in with my vision. Splash parks work. Huge plastic slides? Not so much. But as I said, as long as they are built in balance it’s all good with me. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

Cliff Diving!

Bungee jumping off the North Star on Quantum class ships!! 

Or Extreme Belly Flop contest off North Star!

I can see it now, North Star being added to ships as part of AMP 2.0 in a few years.

48 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

Physics tell me that if I’m on a ship traveling at 20 naughts, when I jump off the high platform I will continue to travel forward at 20 naughts along with my landing space on the ship. My brain tells me I would fall straight down while the ship moves forward, leaving me to land in the ocean. So, I’ll pass. 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

To me (and I’m only taking about me here, to each their own) it’s not the actual pool or sun lounger, it’s the concept of being on top of a ship. Wide open space. Surrounded by ocean. Breeze in my hair (er, breeze against scalp where hair used to be.)

Flowriders fit in with my vision. Splash parks work. Huge plastic slides? Not so much. But as I said, as long as they are built in balance it’s all good with me. 

Have you been on an Oasis ship?  None of what you ask for is missing.  There's SO much space to just stare at the sea, the slides don't really change much.  The size of the ship is what really prevents one from having easy access to all views at the same time.

There's more than enough open space for everyone and slides.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DirtyDawg said:

Catch your own Fish Dinner? Wheelchair Races?

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

Physics tell me that if I’m on a ship traveling at 20 naughts, when I jump off the high platform I will continue to travel forward at 20 naughts along with my landing space on the ship. My brain tells me I would fall straight down while the ship moves forward, leaving me to land in the ocean. So, I’ll pass. 

After an afternoon enjoying the Deluxe Beverage Package lots of folks would be following what their brain told them. 🤪

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

Have you been on an Oasis ship?

Sadly, no. Mostly because they tend to have more sea days on their itineraries than other ships. But I’m planning a trip (hopefully soon!) with my brother-in-law who would love an interior balcony. Can’t wait. Coincidentally, looking at the Allure which is the one Oasis-class with the huge slide, correct? 

10 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

Agree, looks very ugly for real ship lovers but many Royal ships have them added now (All Freedom and Voyager Class exept Explorer and now Oasis as well). 

2 hours ago, flamingos said:

I remember hearing that when the Radiance class came out - too many balconies, no proper 'ocean liner' profile.  🙂

I remember hearing that when SS Great Britain came out. "Iron hull, steam power, propeller? If I'm not sailing on a wooden ship solely by the grace of the wind, then I'm not sailing at all." 🧐

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, zekekelso said:

Sadly, no. Mostly because they tend to have more sea days on their itineraries than other ships. But I’m planning a trip (hopefully soon!) with my brother-in-law who would love an interior balcony. Can’t wait. Coincidentally, looking at the Allure which is the one Oasis-class with the huge slide, correct? 

Actually, it is the one that doesn't have a huge slide.

14 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Found the picture somewhere, think it was priceline. Just have never seen a waterslide on a Royal Caribbean ship.

Anyone agree with me?

We’re with you, Jimbo

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Anyone agree with me?

Is this a six year old post, inexplicably arriving in 2021?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Anyone agree with me?

Nope, we did the water slides on Symphony in 2018.  First time I have been in a pool other than the FlowRider in years.  I enjoyed the slides very much.  I am 62.  I enjoyed them more than the ultimate Abyss slide which is free of water.  

• Like 1