The Daily for Wednesday November 10, 2021

richwmn

12 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I received my box of Covid tests yesterday and watched the suggested video. I'm still going to book us at CVS for the test, just making sure we're covered "just in case".

Where did you get them?  The ones I see online are either sold out or have an expiration date of 12/28.

• Like 10

59 minutes ago, dfish said:

The first recipe is for a basic pilaf with cider and cranberries.  It doesn't include directions.  It directs you back to a paid site for those, but most of us can figure out what to do from the following

I was able to get to the countryliving site for directions

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add cinnamon and smashed garlic. Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add rice and toss to coat. Add cider and 2 1/2 cups water. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until rice is tender, 15 to 17 minutes, adding cranberries during the last 10 minutes of cooking.

Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are tender and beginning to brown, 18 to 20 minutes. Add chopped garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in vinegar and parsley.

Add scallions and onion mixture to rice and toss to combine.

Here's a PDF with recipe and reviews. Note that it's from a different person but same ingredients.

Wild Rice and Cider Cranberry Pilaf.pdf

• Like 18
  • Thanks 5

10 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Where did you get them?  The ones I see online are either sold out or have an expiration date of 12/28.

I wrote on the Daily a few days ago with all the information. I ordered from emed labs. The expiration date on the box shows 11-8, but is good til February. They send a confirmation of approval. We purchased the box of 6. With next day delivery it was $177. I want to take them along during our 5 weeks at sea, just to be safe, knowing HAL does further testing onboard. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Good morning friends!  Yes, the temps here were about 10 degrees higher than yesterday so we walked to the gym.  We try to go 3 days a week and tomorrow will probably be wet.  Today's days of celebration are good ones.  Thanks for the explanation for Forget Me Not day.  It's very helpful and quite appropriate today as the Marines celebrate their 246th birthday.  Cheers to them!  Sesame Street was popular in our house while the kids were growing up, and as mentioned yesterday for the grandkids as well.  A funny quote for our enjoyment.  The rice pilaf dish sounds interesting and that second recipe looks good.  Oban, Scotland doesn't sound familiar to me at all so another one I'll have to wait for photos of.

Thanks for the Daily today Rich, and also thanks go to Roy for the lists he keeps.  Prayers and congrats to each group.  So many travelers to celebrate!  I received another email from John's wife and she said when she's ready to cruise in the future, could she go along on some cruises with us?  Of course, we answered yes!  We enjoy her company a lot.  I imagine it would be very lonely to be on your own at first.  We could enjoy dinner together and take tours or even just walks around the ports together. 💕

Something that doesn't warm my heart are the new inflation numbers that just came out.  Highest rate of inflation in 30 years!  Oh my!  This is going to hit hard over the holidays.  🙁  We have several driving trips in December and I hope the gas prices don't bankrupt us (and everybody else).😲

@kazu it sounds like you've become quite proficient in mulching your leaves this year.  Glad to hear it's worked out for you.  Good luck getting your back garden taken care of before the weather gets too bad.

Have a good day everyone!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I wrote on the Daily a few days ago with all the information. I ordered from emed labs. The expiration date on the box shows 11-8, but is good til February. They send a confirmation of approval. We purchased the box of 6. With next day delivery it was $177. I want to take them along during our 5 weeks at sea, just to be safe, knowing HAL does further testing onboard. 

Thank you.  I guess I saw that, but we are waiting for the 2 pack.  Nevermind, DH just said to order so that is one think off our plate.  Thank you, can't wait to meet you onboard.

Edited by summer slope
  • Like 12

2 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Thank you.  I guess I saw that, but we are waiting for the 2 pack.

They may be making it difficult to order a 2 pack, as the test kits are going to be voided soon. So most sites are trying to sell the 6 packs. It is just a relief for me to have them in hand. 

• Like 9

Spent time in Oban on two driving trips pre-digital camera. On one of them we visited three nearby islands. We took the ferry to Mull for a bus to the southeastern end. From there we took a boat to visit Iona (Abbey) and Staffa (Fingal's Cave & "Giant Causeway" rock formation). Then back across Mull by bus to the ferry.

• Like 20

Good morning everyone! Another beautiful day is in the making. Roy, I do pray your Chemotherapy goes well without strong side effects.

Do you know the difference between motion sickness in the Air Force versus the Navy? In the Air Force we would look at our watches for how long it would last whereas in the Navy they would look at a calendar!

Thanks to all!

• Like 12
  • Haha 15

Good morning  everyone. I salute all of the days and like the looks of the recipe.We have been to Scotland  but not Oban and look forward  to pictures. 

Today Tana is to be discharged  from the hospital  .She really wants to go to her own home. We are bringing  groceries  and a roast chicken I made this morning  and will return  her son and dog as well.DD is under the weather so DSIL will pick her up as soon as she calls. We are cautiously  optimistic  at this time. Her pulmonary  fibrosis diagnosis  coupled with long Covid  keeps her on her toes but she is a survivor.

@rafinmd,I hope the radiation treatments  go well with minimal  side effects.Special prayers to you.

@dfish,I am so glad your home is warm again.I have been thinking  about the homeless  people I see on our streets  a lot too.The large park at the end of my street (Van Cortlandt) has attracted increased numbers of people sleeping outside since the summer. It is getting cold at night now and I worry about them.I did notice a NYC  van parked at an entrance and hope some people  were  convinced  to go to a shelter on a cold night.

Terry

• Like 25

Good morning from sunny Quartzsite.  Yesterday, we got quite a surprise and heavy clouds moved in mid-day.  

A good collections of days to celebrate.  My grandfather was in the Navy in WWi, stationed in Chicago at the Navy Pier.  DH's step-nephew is a retired gunnery sargent, and the Marines helped him grow up and become a responsible man.  Our DD's loved Sesame Street in the early 1980s, especially our younger DD.  This summer when cleaning out the attic, I found her Sesame Street sweater.  Since we don't have grand chilren, and she did not want it, I took it to our local thrift store so another Sesame Street fan could enjoy it.

When I saw the quote, while good, my first thought was it does not apply to the Dailyites.  I imagine all of us know several ways to combat the motion of the ocean and we all will have our favorites.

We will pass on the meal, drink and wine of the day.

Oban is a port we have not visisted in Scotland.

@richwmn  Rich, you may know this, but two of our four cruises had their itinerary changed.  Koningsdam's next four cruises will have this port order: 

Tuesday -- Cabo San Lucas -- 11am -7pm

Wednesda -- Mazatlan -- 8am-5pm

Thursday ---  Puerto Vallarta -- 8am-9pm. 

This means, Monday, Friday and Saturday are sea days.

@kjaz  Jacqui, I like you cooking meme, especially since I've about reached my limit of wanting to cook after the last 22 months.  The answer to the cookiing problem is a BHB. 🛳️

@Crazy For Cats  Safe travels and enjoy your visit.

@smitty34877  Terry, another item for the celebration list!  Glad Tana is going home today.  Hope your DD feels better soon.

Lenda

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Good morning all!

In a rush this morning, I'm driving up to Bellingham for my cousin's funeral. 😞   It seems surreal to be losing family and friends from our generation, time goes too fast!  I'm the youngest of the 10 cousins on my Dad's side, and we have lost 2 now...

Yesterday was so sweet, DH and I sat in on the Veterans' Day Zoom assembly for the boys' school.  So cute, we could see each of their classes, and they could see us (they fold their teachers that their Grandpa is a veteran, so the teachers found us to show the boys). 

Will check back when I get home this afternoon, have a great day everyone. 🙂  

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, Dailyites.  First thing today, I said a big prayer for Roy.  And here he is, doing the lists and pictures!  Thanks to all who post.

We have been learning new weather terms.  Last summer we had the "heat dome" which I had never heard of, but will definitely remember, and now we had an "atmospheric river" for the last few days which I can certainly visualize as a river meandering over us and dumping huge amounts of water on the earth  below.  

We found our flu shots yesterday at Costco, yay!  We had been searching for a few days,  no-one seemed to have the vaccine, but a neighbour mentioned he had seen a tent at Costco, so we went out on spec, and it was still going, so we got ours, and then later, we took DD out to get hers.  Just a bit of a tender arm today.

We were in Oban once for a few days on a driving holiday in the UK when we were living in Kenya.  The children got terrible sun burns from sitting on the (shingle) beach, and their favourite spot to go was a vegetarian restaurant called "Oban Sesame".  That's all I remember of Oban.

• Like 23

Morning and a little wet. We got light rain over night but it is moving on. But the weather has cooled off quite a bit.

The Covid numbers are jumping by leaps and bounds here so I am becoming something of a hermit again except when I need to go the shelter. Dog walking seems to be my main exercise.

Oban used to be the midway point on the archaeological tours I took with my students ..... a jumping off point for the islands. We usually spent a couple of days there to give everyone a short break since by the time we got there we had already been on the road 2 weeks. We all loved it. From there we headed out to Mull and Iona and then north to the Orkney Islands. I miss those trips. Oban is very much of a holiday spot now.

• Like 22

Good morning everyone and Happy Wednesday!  Thank you for the Daily Rich. Great collection of days today. I’ll definitely celebrate USMC, my father was a veteran based at Camp Pendleton during the Korean War. And forget me knots are very symbolic. I watched a lot of Sesame Street in the early 70’s when I had a regular after school babysitting job for a four year old. 

Prayers to those on the Care list. 

The quote made me chuckle. Like @ger_77 I’m prone to seasickness and meclizine is the best thing for me. A Navy Chaplain told me about it on our very first cruise in 1987. I had trouble finding it for our cruise last month and finally ordered it on Amazon. 

The pilaf sounds good. Tonight we are having carnitas burrito bowls. The pork loin cooked all night in the crockpot and is now very “shred-able”. 

Trader Joe’s had most of their holiday specialty items and I purchased several Advent calendars. @kazu Jacqui, the chocolate Advent calendar is so true and I think very appropriate for my DGD. 

Joy @Seasick Sailor, what ports do you think will change for the Holiday cruise?

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 20

5 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Today’s care list:

Roy, somehow I missed that you are starting radiation treatments and don’t see you on the Care List. I must have missed you mentioning it, so sorry. Can you share how many treatments you are having?  Best thoughts and prayers to you! ❤️

• Like 17

It is a beautiful day here in St Petersburg, sunny and 80 with a gentle breeze.

On this date 46 years ago, the Edmund Fitzgerald, a Great Lakes cargo freighter, sank in Lake Superior with all aboard.  She was a handsome ship IMHO, about 17 years old.

The Rotterdam is back at Pier 26, embarking for another Caribbean cruise.  Our local paper, the Tampa Bay Times, ran a nice article on Holland America returning to Florida with it's newest ship, the Rotterdam.  Explaining that if the name was familiar, it was because the Rotterdam of 1997 had sailed from Florida many times, but has now been replaced with a new ship of the same name.  My only issue was that they prominently displayed the picture of the old Rotterdam rather than running the new one.  I wonder how many thought, gee wiz "It looks identical to the old one"

• Like 21

Good afternoon Dailyites.

Good days. A salute to the USMC and Sesame Street. Forget-me-not flowers are pretty, and the day important.

I'll pass on the pilaf and the drink. I like the wine, but too pricey for me. I like Roy's meal.

On the quote - take ginger and sail on!

I haven't been to today's port.

I think it's our last warm and sunny day for a bit. The weatherman mentioned the S word for Sunday, but likely only flurries. I set up the old computer in the dining room. I'm trying to install Windows from an ISO disk. It just scared me as there was loud talking - the volume was up too high and it was Cortana! So maybe it's back, although with no old data. I have that on an external hard drive if needed.

@rafinmd Thinking of you for tomorrow's start of radiation treatments.

@kazu Oh no on the liquor store employees strike! You wear me out with all your yard and garden work.

@summer slope I had to turn off my ad blocker on each webcam site or they'd go black.

@cat shepard Prayers for your friend.

@Crazy For Cats Safe travels and welcome to PA!

@smitty34877 Good to hear that Tana is being released to home. 

@Cruising-along Condolences on the loss of your cousin.

@grapau27 Thanks for the pictures.

@durangoscots Too much Covid here too. 599 new cases in the last 24 hours, and some deaths.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4

Good morning and thanks all!  @rafinmdAll the best Roy, it will be quick.  Just eat well and rest.
@ger_77 sorry about the Clipper!  Me too on the Meclizine,  it’s a life saver!  I stock up at US Costco.   
We visited Oban decades ago on a trip to the Isle of Skye.   We also visited a doctor there as our DS got strep throat. So many interesting memories! 

The trumpeter swans have returned. 

B5B93589-F4D0-485A-9C11-ED3F93F26256.jpeg

• Like 21