Passport Renewal??

Bruin Steve

This is one of those issues we only have to address every ten years...And rules and procedures have likely changed since I last had to deal with this...

I had a timeline in my mind based on my March/April Solstice Japan cruise--which, of course, has now been pushed back to April 2023.  I understand there's a new "rule" of sorts that you have to have at least six months remaining at the planned end of your trip...AND, I had read somewhere that things at the passport office had bogged down during the pandemic...So, since my current passport is set to expire late September 2022, my original subconscious timeline said I'd need to start dealing with it NOW to get it done before my March cruise--which would have ended just prior to that six month thing...

Of course, as of NOW, I don't have another planned cruise vacation until RCCL Vision/Celebrity Summit August 2022...and, of course, I'd need a new passport prior to then--since my current passport would expire about three weeks after the end of that trip.  BUT, I also don't know if I might want to book another trip for sometime between March and August--requiring a new passport before then I suppose???

So, questions:

--Is that six month requirement really still a thing?

--How long is it taking nowadays to actually renew a passport?

--What is the best/fastest/easiest way to get it done?  (I remember the first time I ever gotten a passport--back in 1975--I went, in person, to the Federal Building in LA...another time, I remember doing it at a local post office...but every time I had done it in the past, it was either pre-internet, pre-pandemic or pre-something).

--Anything I should know or consider about the process as presently in effect?

Thanks... 

I had a nasty ordeal. I applied in April, 2021. The new passport never came, but the old one was returned with holes punched in it, cancelled. I called the help line and was told to be patient. In August I was advised to file a DS-86; I did so, heard nothing. In October I called again, was told my new passport had been delivered in May. (Not to me!!) I was told to file another DS-86 and given an address in Virginia to mail it to. I received the new passport in November. Big error - I had not paid for expedited handling back in April, and I learned that not everybody on the help line knows how to proceed correctly.

25 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

So, questions:

--What is the best/fastest/easiest way to get it done?  (I remember the first time I ever gotten a passport--back in 1975--I went, in person, to the Federal Building in LA...another time, I remember doing it at a local post office...but every time I had done it in the past, it was either pre-internet, pre-pandemic or pre-something).

Thanks... 

Six months is still arbitrarily enforced so far as I know.

It is very annoying to get a passport at the Federal Building in LA these days, theoretically possible, but you need to show you have travel booked within a week.

We applied for a passport for our kid in person at the USPS in Malibu back in September (I see you are in Calabasas) with paying extra for overnight shipping each way, extra for the expedited process, etc. and they told us it could be 10-12 weeks, but we got it back in about 5-6.  I would check the website and leave that standard amount of time they advise-- but driving into the passport office in person slightly expedites the process, I believe. 

The travel.gov website states it’s $60 to expedite. Takes 5-7 weeks. Has a search using zipcode to find closet facility to drop the forms and current passport to decrease to time a bit. 

and yes it’s a 6month requirement and doesn’t really impact the OP because their passport expires well before their next cruise and they need it renewed for it. 

den

Edited by Denny01

I had to renew my passport recently to have the 6 months available at the other end of it due to traveling to Italy.  I downloaded the forms, sent it in with expedited processing.  It took about 4-5 weeks to receive back.  Since I live in MA, I used the mass.gov site for the info.

Good luck and happy & safe travels 😄 

• Like 1

This is discussed quite frequently on the "Ask A Cruise Question" board. After our experience I definitely recommend expediting your passport when you renew it.

If you have global entry it takes about 7 weeks after you receive your new passport to be able to update the information on the GE site.

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU
  • Thanks 2

The remaining six months requirement is a pretty standard restrictions of many countries.   It is the specific countries requirement and Celebrity is just making sure they are in compliance.

This site explains the rule and the countries that require - commonly called the "6 Month Club"

The U.S. also has a 6 month requirement from many countries

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/assets/documents/2017-Dec/Six-Month Club Update122017.pdf

Edited by Jim_Iain

11 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

This is one of those issues we only have to address every ten years...And rules and procedures have likely changed since I last had to deal with this...

I had a timeline in my mind based on my March/April Solstice Japan cruise--which, of course, has now been pushed back to April 2023.  I understand there's a new "rule" of sorts that you have to have at least six months remaining at the planned end of your trip...AND, I had read somewhere that things at the passport office had bogged down during the pandemic...So, since my current passport is set to expire late September 2022, my original subconscious timeline said I'd need to start dealing with it NOW to get it done before my March cruise--which would have ended just prior to that six month thing...

Of course, as of NOW, I don't have another planned cruise vacation until RCCL Vision/Celebrity Summit August 2022...and, of course, I'd need a new passport prior to then--since my current passport would expire about three weeks after the end of that trip.  BUT, I also don't know if I might want to book another trip for sometime between March and August--requiring a new passport before then I suppose???

So, questions:

Thanks... 

It's currently slow, simple solution, just renew it now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

So, questions:

Thanks... 

I just had to renew my passport.  We were told 16 weeks at the time we applied.  12 weeks if we expedited.  I think the website now says 8-11 weeks (5-7 weeks if expedited)  https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports.html.  My daughter got hers in 6 weeks so we decided to not expedite.  We got ours in 5 weeks.  We completed the required forms online and printed them out.  Took our own photos using an app that helped to meet the criteria and printed them.  Mailed at the post office who guided us to use their mailing envelope as the best priced option and to pay for tracking as recommended.  Hope that helps.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wife and I just renewed, we used the expedited method, it was less than 4 weeks…very pleased..local UPS store handled the photos, mailing etc…

I realized during the process I had zero checks, so I obtained two money orders from the local Kroger..

Edited by PTC DAWG

Thanks for the topic.   I think I will send our in this week.   We have a couple years open on our but only have 1 or 2 pages left.   They no longer add pages and you have to request a new passport.    The good news is they have an option to get a passport with more pages.

All this reminds me of an ordeal I went through... about 15 years ago. We had gotten back from a trip, as I recall, and I still had my passport in my purse..over lunch someone came into my office and stole my purse...which had the passport, drivers license and I believe a work ID. Do you know how hard it is to get passport and drivers license without the other? I did have my birth certificate.. but as I recall the DMV required the drivers license and the passport office required Drivers license as part of the process.  I can not recall how I got through this..but I think I may have talked the DMV into accepting an old passport with the holes punched... and that got me what I needed for the passport. Anyway it has been a while... but when I renewed my drivers license...you are supposed to destroy the old...but I kept it... just in case. The lesson is not to keep them both in the same place...which as a woman..is a bit hard to do...when traveling.

On 11/14/2021 at 10:50 PM, Bruin Steve said:

This is one of those issues...

@Bruin Steve

Howdy! emo22.gif

To help you out your thread has been moved to the Ask a Cruise Question forum. That way your inquiry will be seen by more members. I also suggest you browse the forum for other threads that may be of interest to you regarding your topic. Here are a few:

My Experience with Renewing US Passport

Passport

Current passport issue turnaround time

Current Passport Processing Times

I hope this will be helpful! emo34.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif  

On 11/14/2021 at 8:50 PM, Bruin Steve said:

--What is the best/fastest/easiest way to get it done?

My son mailed his renewal application in Oct 20 and received his new one Nov 10.  21 days.

He just filled out the application online, printed it and mailed it with old passport.  Not expedited.  

My husband and I just applied for our first passports. Time showing currently on the website to check status shows 5-7 weeks for expedited and 8-11 weeks for non-expedited. This is from the date they receive your application, not from the day you mail it in.  They received both of our applications on 10/27. I paid for expediting, my husband did not. So far neither of us has received any updates and website just shows "In Process". 

12 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

My son mailed his renewal application in Oct 20 and received his new one Nov 10.  21 days.

He just filled out the application online, printed it and mailed it with old passport.  Not expedited.  

WOW...that is FAST!!!!!!!!!!.....I read a reply from someone who had the opposite happen......it took them 5 months to get their renewed passport back!

I wonder if the variation in processing time has to do with the specific processing center your application is sent to.  I remember something about the New Orleans office was basically destroyed during the floods and other places were trying to assist.  

16 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

21 days is so far below the norm as to be seen as an unlikely-to-be-repeated fluke.  Many more people have experienced four- plus months, so that is what the reasonable person should allow.  

The fact that a renewal will cost just over $100, “wasting” a year by applying twelve months early (if you know you won’t need it short term) is simply a $10 cost — significantly less than paying for expedited service.

8 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

21 days is so far below the norm as to be seen as an unlikely-to-be-repeated fluke.  Many more people have experienced four- plus months, so that is what the reasonable person should allow. 

Maybe another anomaly but my sister-in-law just received her new passport on November 1 after submitting the renewal at the beginning of October.  She didn't pay for priority mail or expedited service so she was very surprised and happy.  In fact her comment was, "I didn't expect to get this until February."

On 11/15/2021 at 8:34 AM, CHEZMARYLOU said:

This is discussed quite frequently on the "Ask A Cruise Question" board. After our experience I definitely recommend expediting your passport when you renew it.

If you have global entry it takes about 7 weeks after you receive your new passport to be able to update the information on the GE site.

I forgot about updating Global Entry! 😮

We are supposed to sail in January and I just realized my passport expired in May (5 months) so just this morning sent it in (expedited) for renewal.

I probably won't have time to updated Global Entry before we  cruise (and fly)  so should I anticipate problems?

5 minutes ago, chamima said:

We are supposed to sail in January and I just realized my passport expired in May (5 months) so just this morning sent it in (expedited) for renewal.

I probably won't have time to updated Global Entry before we  cruise (and fly)  so should I anticipate problems?

Global Entry would be my last concern........you have to be worried you will even get your passport back in time for your January cruise😲

7 minutes ago, chamima said:

You might be able to get an appointment at your nearest GE office (obviously this won't work if there isn't one nearby).  When I got my new passport last February my GE didn't update so after 5 weeks I emailed CBP and asked what to do.  They said no appointment was needed, just drop in at the GE office but call first to make sure of their hours.  That's just what I did and I was in and out in 5 minutes.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Global Entry would be my last concern........you have to be worried you will even get your passport back in time for your January cruise😲

Lois

I sent it overnight mail and paid for expedited service and overnight back to me.  I'm just at the 7 week point AND it asked on the form for travel dates so crossing my fingers that I'm good.

I'm usually on top of this stuff - Covid and the last 2 years have really messed with my brain.

Edited by chamima