The Daily for Sunday 12/26/2021

richwmn

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

Dixie,  we need to know how to pronounce the second part of the name phonetically! 🤣🤣🤣

Have a super cruise! 

This is the best I could find.

The Vieux Carre (pronounced voh care-eh) is a classic cocktail straight from New Orleans.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 5

4 minutes ago, summer slope said:

This is the best I could find.

The Vieux Carre (pronounced voh care-eh) is a classic cocktail straight from New Orleans.

I can’t believe you paid attention to me!

Thank you. Now starting planning how you will spend yesterday’s big winnings! ❤️

• Like 14

21 minutes ago, luvteaching said:

Jacqui, I was allowed in due to DH's memory issues. Medicare has a policy that the primary caregiver has to be allowed in. In September I wasn't and DH was a mess when he got out. This time he's doing pretty well. Still not walking great 

Karen, there has been no visitation permitted at the hospital for some time due to covid.  There are some exceptional circumstances (palliative care, patients in over 14 days, etc.) and those people can only visit from 2 - 8.

Because of DH’s condition, I am a designated support person and permitted to visit him at any time.  The only thing that interferes with that is covid.  I just hope if there is an outbreak, it isn’t in his area 🙏🏻 

As long as Internal Medicine does not have an outbreak, I will be allowed back in 48 hours most likely - possibly tomorrow.

If they have an outbreak, they will be in lockdown and I will not be able to go in until the quarantine time has passed.  I just hope they don’t have one as Jose hasn’t had his booster.  He was hospitalized on the date we had booked for it. 😔 The Charge Nurse is going to see if she can possibly arrange for one for him 🙏🏻 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 8

I tried to post last night, and I suffered from POOF!  screen went blank, and all that had been written gone.  On Christmas Eve the woman across the street (i walk her dog for her since she has gone back to work) came over with two grocery bags.  She had been worried I wasn't' being good during the holidays with my diabetes, so she bought us Christmas dinner to cook.  (Rib eye, sweet potatoes, and apples, and a banana for my DH.)  Well it didn't happen as we had Chinese lunch with friends, and both of us ended up with upset tummies.  We opened a can of beef barley, had crackers with cheese, and Buble.  So, I know what dinner is tonight.  Bless this woman, she doesn't eat meat, so she asked the butcher what would be good.  How sweet.

This morning I heard gunfire, and from 4 on, helicopters flying over the neighborhood until 7 a.m.   This is one weird world we live in.  When I come here, I do feel calm, and i do feel safe.  Have a wonderful day!

funniest day after xmas memes on the internet

• Like 24

Good afternoon from Saint Lucia!  There was an announcement about 11ish that passengers could now disembark and shop at the nearby shopping area. We were at the aft Lido pool area and everyone was excited. We made plans to go ashore but changed our minds after looking at the port area from our aft facing Vista balcony. This is really a place we should have planned ahead and booked an excursion. 

On another note, we decided to upgrade our Surf Internet to Premium for $40 each device (it was $50 per device if we had done it on Day 1). It has made a big difference. Internet is much faster and I wanted to stream music. Craig has a downloaded playlist and now we can share it. 

BTW, our DD & her SO are the ones who have the Husky Mom & Husky Dad of the litter of puppies. The timing was perfect for a surprise Christmas gift. Here is a picture of our DS & DGD with the SO & her DD with the new puppy. 

7F601EC5-E9AD-41B0-B651-6A2674174A7F.thumb.jpeg.3dda4473461aa8e6997317f1144ae7d7.jpeg

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 29

Just a short note before heading out to dog walk before more snow arrives. Weather here can not make up its mind.... snow, sun, rain, snow and then repeat. We are also getting some wind. @kazuhope that covid situation at the hospital is contained and well away from Jose. @mamaofamiGlad your test was negative and hope the PCR one is too. I got to feeling bad after a possible exposure but then tested negative.... I think it was just the stress of thinking about it.

Have not been to the destination of the day and it sounds like I have not missed anything there. I plan on left-overs today and will freeze some turkey for later. A turkey breast goes aloooong way with just one person.

Susan

• Like 22

Good morning, all, and Happy Boxing Day.  We are really "white" here today, yesterday was just a sprinkling, but now an inch or so.  The hummingbirds mob Pat when he takes the feeders out in the early morning. If it gets too cold, he makes multiple batches and changes the feeders around during the day so he can take out warm ones and bring the frozen ones in to defrost.  They are his babies!  

Definitely leftover turkey tonight - I want to take all the meat off the carcass  and make soup today, too.  And eat the rest of the See's!

We went to Mass on the internet yesterday and will again today - but I was happy to see the church quite empty.  I had been afraid a lot of people would turn up who only come once or twice a year, which was why we strayed away.  

Jacqui, I'm so sorry to hear you were kept away from seeing Jose.  I know he needs you, just hoping they let you in today.  Just being in a hospital and away from familiar surroundings can make things difficult for an already sick person.  And Carol, I hope you fail your second Covid test, and that will ease your mind, and make you feel better.

• Like 21

I was sorry to hear of the passing of Archbishop Tutu this morning.  We met him and his family in 2014.  He came aboard the Amsterdam when the WC stopped in South Africa.  A very pleasant person with an interesting life.

We finally got our snow last night.  For us it started early this morning, but Seattle got a little on Christmas day also.  Heard that Seattle got snow on Christmas only nine times in the last 127 years, so it is a rare event.  Now they have about 4 inches.

I am wondering how a telephone conversation with a doctor can help @Heartgrove with a suspected sinus or throat infection.  Seems obvious that they need to swab it and see what is causing the infection.

Ray

• Like 21

Good morning and thanks all!  The problems with not being able to respond or sign in is getting old. Hopefully CC can get it together soon!  Sigh! 

I’m sorry to hear of all the people who are Ill and affected by Covid.   @mamaofamihope you can catch a break! @kazu I am sorry this just makes everything so much harder,  hope they can get a booster for Jose. @StLouisCruisers I wish people would be responsible,  how sad, this is why things continue to spread. 

@ger_77 yikes about getting medically debarked in Colon!   Hope our weather warms soon,this is ridiculous! 

sadly all my multi quotes disappeared, so I may have missed a few people logging in and out again and again!  

we visited Colon and our thoughts are the same, eek,  one port where we turned around and got right back on the ship!  

A42E32FD-7DCE-42B4-AE10-75E76C2F3E55.jpeg

888D0C4A-CA7E-43ED-A263-4F7E862D0B06.jpeg

44F7A3CE-7CD5-4755-B53F-9D37862BE34F.jpeg

F035B9F8-7CBD-49F5-B3A3-31D26AD0DEEA.jpeg

F7921990-405C-4942-8DAA-BA228955F58A.jpeg

C8DF3E2F-3995-4BA8-BCC6-04A34D94C023.jpeg

A9AE89A7-C5EA-4CC3-B42F-C7D3F6E7A6CF.jpeg

BAAD9120-D79A-447A-9764-61C8F044A799.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Good morning all and Happy Boxing Day!

I'm late getting on here, was up too late last night and slept in this morning.  We have snow!  It didn't arrive in time for a White Christmas, it arrived here an hour or two after midnight.  It's coming down steadily and will continue for at least a week.  So strange about the warm weather in other parts of the country!  Tuesday will be our coldest day, down to 10 F.  That's really cold for here.

Even as a child I have never been a big fan of candy canes (maybe if they came in chocolate?) 😉  I'm very pleased that DD has the grandsons hand-write thank you notes for all gifts they receive.  We will definitely have leftover turkey for a few days.  I roasted a 14-pound turkey and only the 4 adults ate it so even after sending half home with DD and DSIL we have plenty for a few days.  Also enough of the side dishes for tonight, then it will be turkey pot pie for a couple nights!  Today I plan to just relax and bask in the afterglow of Christmas Day with family. 🙂  

@mamaofamiprayers that the PCR test also comes back negative.

@StLouisCruisersI'm with you about people who don't stay home when they're ill.  Hoping your DSIL's parents will feel better soon.

@Cruzin TerriI love Call the Midwife too and have the DVR set to record all episodes.  Geesh about your cable company, it sounds as bad as ours is.

@kazuI'm so sorry to hear about the Covid situation and also pray it isn't in Jose's area of the hospital.

Here are a few photos from yesterday.  It was so much fun watching the delight on the faces of the DGS's.  It was a nice day, we all played Harry Potter Clue, then took a long walk before dinner to look at Christmas lights.  

Christmas dinner.  DD burnt the Brussels Sprouts (I asked her several times if something was burning, and then the smoke alarm went off.  She thought she had turned the oven off. They looked like hard lumps of coal!   Oh well, we still had lots of food.  (their other grandma asked if the boys are cheering about no brussels sprouts in this photo). 🤣

119357016_Christmasdinner2021.thumb.jpg.40f1ec616ec344641d2b7c2839e1b918.jpg

The six-year-old with some of his gifts -- he just lost his first tooth this week and the other one in front will be coming out most likely before the new year.

531214753_ShepChristmas2021.thumb.jpg.986a0686c9f17ac8be0c2924b41c993b.jpg

The boys posing for my yearly Christmas photo of them.  This cracks me up -- the older one wanted to put his arm around his brother's shoulder, but he would have nothing to do with that!  So Foster compromised by pretending to put his arm around him without actually touching him -- Shep looks mighty suspicious here. 😉  

2045854505_FosterandShep2021.thumb.jpg.5e3aa978f1dbd8ff3f76494c237a2678.jpg

• Like 27
  • Haha 2

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily @richwmn and to all contributors.

Good days. I haven't had a candy cane in a while (I have a box up where the decorations are stored that is many years old), although I like the thick peppermint sticks. Thank you notes are unfortunately a dying custom. Happy Boxing Day!

I like the quote; we've certainly learned that life is a gift, the last 2 years.

I don't have any leftover turkey or ham right now. I like the sparkling wine, but pass on the drink.

I've sailed by Colon, but not stopped there.

Fortunately my power was only out about a half hour yesterday. A check of the utility app showed about 500 people had lost power. Reason unknown. We were unusually warm here yesterday at 57F; mid-40's today. At least it's sunny now; it rained all day yesterday.

@kazu Thank you for keeping us updated. So sorry you weren't able to visit Jose yesterday. The hospitals are so full of Covid patients, non-Covid patients can barely get in. So sad. Hoping there is no outbreak on Jose's unit. I pray the LP results will be helpful to Jose's care.

@mamaofami Great the rapid test was ok. Prayers for a negative PCR test. Feel better.

@StLouisCruisers Safe travels for DS/DDIL. I hope DSIL's parents are ok. Prayers for your DD's upcoming surgery.

@Heartgrove I hope you're feeling better soon!

@grapau27 It's good to hear your incisions are healing nicely.

@marshhawk Sorry you weren't feeling well after the Chinese lunch. How nice of your neighbor to bring you Christmas dinner to cook! I agree the world is out of kilter; on Christmas Eve I heard lots of sirens and found out about a mile away there had been a shootout in someone's house, with 6 people being shot; fortunately no fatalities.

@Sharon in AZ Great picture of DS with SO and their DD's and puppy.

@Cruising-along Great pictures of the family.

Prayers for the Care List and a toast to the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 4

I confess that I often "steal" some of the jokes and cartoons posted on The Daily.  Some of them I forward to Mrs. XBGuy and some of them I post on one of the wine boards in which I regularly play.  Yesterday, this one was posted on the wine board.  Thanks to @richwmn "s alertness as to what day this is. It seemed appropriate to repost that one here.

129912w6bm4r.jpg.09dd3032405761a49acaf6e8f564de4c.jpg

• Like 9
  • Haha 16

Good Afternoon from a warm and sunny day at the beach.

I really like candy canes and thank you notes are very important. I always had a rule that no one could use/wear/spend the gift until a note had been sent. The gift givers would always comment on my kids were always the first to send notes. It is amazing to me the number that do not send any acknowledgement at all, even for wedding gifts.

I had a wonderful visit this morning with @JAM37. She is here in town with her family and we met up. It is so great to meet face to face with the ones we have been " talking" to for so long. We are going to meet again in February when she and DH return to cruise from PT Canaveral.  

@kazu Jacqui, so sorry you could not get into the hospital today.  You and Jose are in my thoughts and prayers.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Well, I was going to post last evening on the Christmas Daily.  However, our internet provider (Hargray) that has a monopoly here in the low country of South Carolina and coastal Georgia, decided that no one in the Bluffton area needed internet or TV.  So we were without service from about 6 pm until 11 pm.  

One of my most favorite series is Call the Midwife.  The Christmas Special was on at 9 pm last night.  Needless to say I was not a happy camper.

Since DH and I were alone and Christmas dinner was over we expected to watch the Downton Abbey movie and then Call the Midwife. 

None of that happened.

Hargray advertises itself as the Communications leader int he Lowcountry.  We pay a lot of money for very poor service. 

Anyway, just venting.

Many people have worse problems.  

The program will be repeated today.

Happy Boxing Day again.

Terri

Sorry you missed out on Downton Abbey.  We get two PBS channels here, Seattle and Detroit, so I recorded it twice (can I send you one?) - but I see it is coming on again January 2, I think, so I have it set to tape again then.  My PVR sometimes doesn't behave, so I like to have backups!

I hadn't seen the movie, so it was going to be my Christmas treat, I did get to watch some of it, but kept getting interrupted.  I will start over again today!

• Like 15

28 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Sorry you missed out on Downton Abbey.  We get two PBS channels here, Seattle and Detroit, so I recorded it twice (can I send you one?) - but I see it is coming on again January 2, I think, so I have it set to tape again then.  My PVR sometimes doesn't behave, so I like to have backups!

I hadn't seen the movie, so it was going to be my Christmas treat, I did get to watch some of it, but kept getting interrupted.  I will start over again today!

That is so sweet, but I found that Downton Abbey will be on our PBS channel on Jan. 2 and 3.  I am recording both in case Hargray decides to pull the same stunt again.  

I really appreciate your thoughtfulness, but I think I’ll be okay.

Terri

• Like 12

Good afternoon  everyone. We drove home today.It was  icy and cold in  New Hampshire  but warmed up to 47 degrees here.

@mamaofami,Carol I hope you feel better and fail the PCR test.

@kazu,Jacqui,it  has to be so frustrating  to be kept away from Jose even though  the reason is valid. I hope you can return  soon.

We had such a nice time with the family and truly enjoyed  the stories , laughs and reminisces.  Of course I usually have a few tears in my eyes driving  away in true mom/grandma fashion.The bumpy ice on the road  forced me to  concentrate.

Stay well and be careful  out there.

Terry

• Like 19

11 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good afternoon  everyone. We drove home today.It was  icy and cold in  New Hampshire  but warmed up to 47 degrees here.

@mamaofami,Carol I hope you feel better and fail the PCR test.

@kazu,Jacqui,it  has to be so frustrating  to be kept away from Jose even though  the reason is valid. I hope you can return  soon.

We had such a nice time with the family and truly enjoyed  the stories , laughs and reminisces.  Of course I usually have a few tears in my eyes driving  away in true mom/grandma fashion.The bumpy ice on the road  forced me to  concentrate.

Stay well and be careful  out there.

Terry

Where were you in NH, Terry? I have a niece and two Grandnieces in Windham. And a cousin close enough to be another Sister in Nashua.

Glad you made it home safely. Ice is the great equalizer.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Where were you in NH, Terry? I have a niece and two Grandnieces in Windham. And a cousin close enough to be another Sister in Nashua.

Glad you made it home safely. Ice is the great equalizer.

My DDil is from Nashua and she and DS and kiddos  moved  to Amherst after she finished her medical  training. They love it and ski all  winter .

Their road and the 3 miles of local roads  were awful.....or I am out of practice!

• Like 11

Good afternoon, everyone.   

i arrived safely in Elk Rapids this afternoon.   It will be a nice visit with my other sister, her husband and my nephew and his partner.  

I'm happy to be reading mostly good news from my fellow Dailyites.  I am sorry about @StLouisCruisers family situation with the flu.   Talk about inconsiderate.  A friend of mine spent Christmas in Pennsylvania with family only to find out his niece's daughter had Covid.   Well, she didn't feel poorly, was the excuse.  Also, I'm sorry that @kazu Jacqui can't visit Jose in the hospital, but as others have said, use this time to take care of yourself.

Here's our view:IMG_1381.thumb.jpg.0fde3f4d53abab09e022329b59a626fd.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, dfish said:

i arrived safely in Elk Rapids this afternoon.   It will be a nice visit with my other sister, her husband and my nephew and his partner.  

I'm happy to be reading mostly good news from my fellow Dailyites.  I am sorry about @StLouisCruisers family situation with the flu.   Talk about inconsiderate.  A friend of mine spent Christmas in Pennsylvania with family only to find out his niece's daughter had Covid.   Well, she didn't feel poorly, was the excuse.  Also, I'm sorry that @kazu Jacqui can't visit Jose in the hospital, but as others have said, use this time to take care of yourself.

Gorgeous, Debbie!

• Like 12

11 minutes ago, dfish said:

That is just beautiful!Enjoy your visit.

• Like 13

I really do not mean to be a Debbie-downer here … but even if the covid tests are negative, if you still feel ill repeat the tests in a few days. 

DS's girlfriend went out to dinner with business friends. A few days later some were ill and tested positive for covid.  When the girlfriend showed symptoms she got both a rapid test and then a PCR test. Both were negative.  So … DS (39 years old - you would think he would be smarter than this) listened to his little brain and got together with the girlfriend who clearly had “the flu”. A few days later he developed symptoms - so then he got a test and so did the girl friend (who by now was feeling much better) and they both tested positive. Both of them were fully vaccinated and boosted (DS was boosted about 30 days before he got sick). 

Thankfully both are recovering well … but there seems to be something to note here … maybe it is omicron as so much about that variant is unknown or maybe it is because the girl friend was vaccinated and boosted that she was not shedding much virus early on … but it apparently can take a few days for the tests to show positive.  If someone has symptoms regardless of test results stay away from them. 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3