The Daily for Monday 03/07/2022

richwmn

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

A mixture of days: I like hot cereals and muesli, I've never had a crown roast of pork (usually just pork loin roast), and I do like plants both indoor and outside.

Interesting quote.

I like the meal, pass on the drink and the wine. Sausages with peppers and onions is big around here. I used to make something like the honey toddy but with whiskey, when I was sick with a bad cold.

I've never been to Madagascar. Thanks for the pictures @HAL Sailer

It's a dreary, windy, rainy day here. We have storm and high wind warnings. Right now it's dark and pouring rain. Then the temp drops and we will have flurries tomorrow morning. I'm sipping herbal tea for comfort. The power is flickering and it sounds like something hit the roof over the room I'm in. Oy.

@kazu So sorry your weather is so awful! Be safe outside and on the roads.

@ger_77 I pray all is going well with DH's procedure today.

@aliaschief I'm glad you're having a great time. Thanks for the pictures around the ship.

@Mr. Boston Sad to hear about the positive test, but great that you feel fine.

@Cruzin Terri I'm glad nothing bad was found at the hospital for DH, but you still need to find what's causing the pain. I agree with him seeing a Urologist about the small stone, and I'm glad they got you in quickly.

@StLouisCruisers Sorry to hear of the pain and continued numbness. Prayers that it resolves soon, as well as prayers for Jen and Buddy.

@HAL Sailer I'm saddened to hear the news about your DH. Prayers for you both as you continue on this journey.

@Overhead Fred I'm glad your car was relatively spared by the falling limbs; and that you're back online.

@cruzn single I'm sorry to hear you still have such fatigue. 

@kb4683 HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! 🍾

@tupper10 Welcome to the Daily!

Hurrying to post while I can!

Prayers for the Care List, and Ukraine/refugees/all helpers. Cheers to the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 2

I just checked the MDR menu in the Navigator app and it shows a chilled fruit soup! Chilled Three Berry Minestrone - blend of strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries, topped with tangy lime sorbet. 

Did they really listen to all our wishing and whining on this website about the chilled fruit soups? 😁

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cruzn single said:

While it is still morniing (at least in MST), I will try to get something posted.  I am still feeling the fatigue effects from COVID.  Yesterday I went to Mass and then was wiped out for the rest of the day.  An afternoon nap, as well as 11 hours of sleep has me at least moving today.  I am trying to get a couple of loads of laundry done!  @Mr. Boston, please take care and don't overdo!  Hope that you have no after effects like this!

Prayers for DH of @ger_77and hope the surgery is a success so that they can resume an active life and resume cruising.  @HAL Sailer, my thoughts and prayers for you and your DH.  What a difficult time for you both.  Take care of yourself as the weight of caregiving engulfs you.

I am scheduled for Baltics cruise in October coupled with 150th Anniversary TA on Rotterdam.  Got an itinerary change last week from HAL, but I am so "on the fence" about this.  St. Petersburg has been substituted with Latvia,, and now there is an overnight In Stockholm.  Thankfully final payment isn't due till July (and could even be August they way they are changing dates).  Would appreciated thoughts from those who have done Baltics cruises.

We had a slight amount of snow overnight.  Sidewalks and street are now warm enough that nothing piled up on them.  This morning it looked like someone had shoveled, which definitely was not the case!  @durangoscots, glad your end of the state got measureable snow (and moisture). I continually think about Canadian friends, and admire all of you for the remarkable way you endure winter and all it throws at you!

Have a great rest of the day, everyone!

Mary Kay

Just moi...

I looked at the Baltic itinerary.  It seems solid, but I'd rather board a couple of days late in Copenhagen, rather than in Amsterdam, because I love that city and it's so easy to get to other great places in Denmark by train.  Denmark is one of my favorite countries.  That would make a really great trip.  Of course, some may feel the same way about Amsterdam.  Just my thoughts.

For now, I hope you soon regain your energy.  Hard to think about a big trip when one is under the weather.

• Like 18

1 hour ago, kb4683 said:

Good afternoon Dailyites from Half Moon Cay!  Today is our 22nd anniversary and are so glad to be celebrating on the BEAUTIFUL Nieuw Statendam!  Had a little trouble with getting iPad connected to the pre-paid internet package, but all is well now.

A selfie from our balcony this morning3B19625D-1F8B-4605-8542-792ACD2BD4E6.thumb.jpeg.9e8d5268c5adc3abf30d4e0c71a922b6.jpeg 

Rotterdam was with us today

AEEE64BA-E5A7-482D-BB2B-4AAE7346EE7D.thumb.jpeg.18e93e994a99621bf34cca9eb04790f8.jpeg

Loving the ship and crew!  Hopefully more later.  Gala night tonight, we were going to do specialty, but rack of lamb and escargot is on the MDR menu so decided to delay specialty for another day.

Now to catch up.

Kay

Happy Anniversary, Kay & DH! Love your pic!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, HAL Sailer said:

@rafinmd

(and All),

It's time to take my DH off the rotation list. Not because he is better. He won't be. Appointments have confirmed his mobility and mental acuity have and will continue to decline.

Our cruising days are over. Three years after DH's stroke, we cautiously returned to a BHB just prior to the Covid shutdown. With that success, we booked other short, less intensive HAL cruises all of which Covid cancelled. What we had envisioned in 2019 is no longer possible.

Together, from our honeymoon on, we've been fortunate to have grand adventures traveling the world. We adjusted to the shuttering of our oft sailed Royal, Royal Viking and Orient lines (plus an occasional cruise on recently shuttered Crystal). And, we had happily settled onto HAL's BHBs. 

Now, when looking at those pictures, DH often asks, "Who are those people?" And, a few days ago, he offhandedly asked me "Do you know that I can't travel with my wife anymore?" His innocently spoken words confirmed what I already knew. Our BHB days are shuttered, too.

Now, I will lean on the lessons DM taught as she cared for DF during his last years of significantly declining health. And, when it's time, I will use her 26 years as a widow to remind me that solo travel can be rewarding.

So, I think it best to now take my DH off the rotation list. Thanks for the love, the care, the prayer. I'll continue to lurk around The Daily. But, for the indefinite future, HAL Sailer won't be going to sea. 

Enjoy our BHBs! I'll be sailing with you all – if only in my dreams…

-Melisa

Melisa

I do not rely on any list to keep people in my prayers. I know I am not alone. 

I so admire your eloquent expression of what must be so difficult to accept. Remember we are always willing to lend an ear. Or just hug. 

11FB580B-027F-4883-A2E0-591680D7DA50.jpeg.fffc5dab7a5c1da73e2989172ef149c4.jpeg

Ann

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon from a sunny and warm piece of the Pacific Ocean off the coast of Baja Mexico.  It is in the low 70s wind just a slight breeze.

We made it to the ship to drop off our luggage before taking the car to the parking lot, and were back at the ship 🚢 about 30 minutes early for our check-in time.  We walked right in and were on our way to the ship in 19 minutes.

The actual boarding was easier since they weren't using the normal jet-way upstairs in the port.  We entered on A deck and headed to our deck.  That's when things got interesting.  A section of cabins on the port side of the ship (our side) are blocked off on either side of the aft elevator lobby including access to the aft elevators. 

By now, you've probably guessed where our cabin was.  To access it, we had to walk from one side, around the aft hall and back to three cabins from the blocked fire door.  For various reasons that was not acceptable to us.  Guest Services found a cabin for us on the port side for this cruise only, but we could get the keys or move until after 3 pm.

During the same time I got a couple of things straightened out. One was we were assigned fixed seating, and it turned out they thought we were part of a group of 14.  We're now in open seating with a 6pm reservation at a desired table.  

After the Mariners reception, using our orginal cards, we  checked in at our muster station, and I headed back to guest services.  After waiting in line, by chance I got to talk with a supervisor who worked to find us a cabin that was open for 3 of the 4 cruises.  She also emailed Seattle to ask them to put a hold on the cabin and to let us have it the fourth week.  She was hoping to hear back today and will let us know.

Shortly after 4 pm, I  took the carryons to the new cabin while DH waited for someone to move the bigger two bags.  He changed our 6 pm Pinnacle reservation to 7 pm.  We were unpacked and settled in by 6 and after quick showers, we made our 7 pm reservation. 

After a wonderful meal, seeing the Origin Story again, and part of Billboard on Boards second set, we headed to our cabin and our comfortable bed.  By the I only had enough energy to quickly scan yesterday's Daily.

Hope yesterday was all the drama for this cruise, and we just have the usual minor problems that crop up every so often.

Our original cabin steward passed our few requests along to the new one.  We think he'd probably fixed the first new room before his break, but everything was as we requested when we got back last night.

The great thing is our cabin steward is one we know and like.  Toto was our cabin steward on the Veendam in 2019, and we were very glad to see him. He's one of the very best.  He told DH that with so few passengers (900) he has fewer cabins, and his helper is working in the Laundry.  I bet we get great laundry service.  😉

Outside of the room change drama, everything is going well.  We've run into many of the crew from last year, and we were as glad to see them as they were to see us.  That's what makes HAL so great and sets it apart from other cruise lines.

An interesting collection of days.  I like the Maya Angelou quote.  We'll pass on the drink, meal, and wine.  We have not been to Madagascar.

I hope all the Florida Dailyites are safe from the wildfires and others are not terribly affected by all the storms.  As always, I love the memes.

@aliaschief  Glad your cruise is going smoothly and thanks for the pictures.

@cunnorl  Good to know the tournament is well under control.

@Mr. Boston  Sorry you tested positive, but good the symptoms are mild.

@Cruzin Terri  Hope your DH is feeling better, and glad you made the urologist appointment. 

@HAL Sailer  Sad that you have reached such a difficult decision, but please join us here whenever you can.

@Overhead Fred  Wow!  You were lucky there was no major damage.

@kb4683  HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

Lenda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

He had one other kidney stone back 1983.  He passed that one.  I don’t want to relive that nightmare.

Terri

I totally understand nightmare.  My first time I was in Michigan and couldn't get home until I passed it.   I was reduced to crawling because of the pain.  

1 hour ago, kb4683 said:

Good afternoon Dailyites from Half Moon Cay!  Today is our 22nd anniversary and are so glad to be celebrating on the BEAUTIFUL Nieuw Statendam!  Had a little trouble with getting iPad connected to the pre-paid internet package, but all is well now.

A selfie from our balcony this morning3B19625D-1F8B-4605-8542-792ACD2BD4E6.thumb.jpeg.9e8d5268c5adc3abf30d4e0c71a922b6.jpeg 

AEEE64BA-E5A7-482D-BB2B-4AAE7346EE7D.thumb.jpeg.18e93e994a99621bf34cca9eb04790f8.jpeg

Loving the ship and crew!  Hopefully more later.  Gala night tonight, we were going to do specialty, but rack of lamb and escargot is on the MDR menu so decided to delay specialty for another day.

Now to catch up.

Kay

Happy Anniversary!

3fd70c4469801cf6583758a9db429c76.jpg.b9c187deb89e9d55d4df48a482890804.jpg

@Mr. Boston Sorry to hear about the positive test.  I hope it remains mild and that you have no lingering after effects.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, kb4683 said:

Now to catch up.

Kay

Happy Anniversary  and enjoy your trip.I love the picture.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kb4683 said:

Now to catch up.

Kay

Happy Anniversary you two!  Nice photo.  Have a fun cruise!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Some of the beautiful venues around ship with wood accents. The library Draft Room, the very comfortable padded chaise lounges

There is a step up with this line. Like at last night’s show we had cloth napkins to place our drinks on.

The Pool Bar has an extensive menu of beverages like around ten different types of margaritas!

Crew is very friendly and genuinely want to pamper us.

So far a very nice experience.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Interesting that library with the fireplace and painted ceiling looks just like the one on the old Ocean Princess which is now the Oceana Sirina.  We spent 89 days on that lovely ship sailing around Africa in 2015.  That might have been when we stopped at Nosy Be.  We should have taken the lemur tour, as the town wasn't much to see.  It was a muddy rather than sandy or rocky beach.

I got my 4th covid shot today.  My doctor had recommended it because of my age and that I have had leukemia for a few years makes me immunocompromised.  No reaction so far.  Have to leave not to see my hearing aid doctor to synchronize my hearing aids.

• Like 20

2 hours ago, cat shepard said:

And your DH does not have to live or travel with the ER doctor.

Exactly!  Well said 👍 

1 hour ago, kb4683 said:

Good afternoon Dailyites from Half Moon Cay!  Today is our 22nd anniversary and are so glad to be celebrating on the BEAUTIFUL Nieuw Statendam!  

What a great pic!  A very happy 22nd anniversary to you both 🙂 

934D5E3A-5455-44FF-B619-47BFDE24E17C.thumb.jpeg.4b5b28cef03d10db437c5900725afdd1.jpeg

39 minutes ago, Navybikermom said:

I just checked the MDR menu in the Navigator app and it shows a chilled fruit soup! Chilled Three Berry Minestrone - blend of strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries, topped with tangy lime sorbet. 

Woo Hoo!  That’s encouraging.  I love HAL’s chilled soups.  Hope this is a sign of the future 🤞 

20 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Hope yesterday was all the drama for this cruise, and we just have the usual minor problems that crop up every so often.

Me too. Glad it is mostly solved and how nice you have a cabin steward you know.  Hope the rest of the cruise is very smooth and you have a GREAT time!!!!!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

On Saturday we filled our gas tank at C$1.89 a litre, today we borrowed DS's truck for an errand and filled his tank for him.  The price had gone up to C$2.08 per litre - equivalent to US$6.15 a gallon.  Eek!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 9

5 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

On Saturday we filled our gas tank at C$1.89 a litre, today we borrowed DS's truck for an errand and filled his tank for him.  The price had gone up to C$2.08 per litre - equivalent to US$6.15 a gallon.  Eek!

I was wondering about that.  It's usually been more expensive in Canada than the US.  We think we have it bad!

Roy

• Like 14

23 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

16 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I was wondering about that.  It's usually been more expensive in Canada than the US.  We think we have it bad!

Roy

It has just reached €2.00/litre here. 😭That is about c$ 2.80/litre or $8.25/gallon😭😭

Any Americans renting cars on arrival in Europe will be in for a real culture shock.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4

I went to fill up yesterday for regular it was 4.00/gallon - today it was 4.19.  But we need to realize that our problems are minor compared to what is happening to the civilians in Ukraine.  

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

We are fortunate to have a plug-in hybrid, a Prius Prime.  In cold weather it gets about 24 miles before the engine comes on; in the summer closer to 30.  So all my running around today used no gasoline and about $.85 worth of electricity.  My next car will most likely be fully electric.

• Like 16

Good evening!  I’m late today but wanted to check in, I read most of the Daily earlier. DM had a doctor’s appointment for her hearing and it took longer than I expected.  But the good part was seeing some coworkers from when I worked there many moons ago. DM now has a consultation for new hearing aides in a few weeks. 

Have a good evening everyone!

• Like 14

12 hours ago, HAL Sailer said:

@rafinmd

(and All),

It's time to take my DH off the rotation list. Not because he is better. He won't be. Appointments have confirmed his mobility and mental acuity have and will continue to decline.

Our cruising days are over. Three years after DH's stroke, we cautiously returned to a BHB just prior to the Covid shutdown. With that success, we booked other short, less intensive HAL cruises all of which Covid cancelled. What we had envisioned in 2019 is no longer possible.

Together, from our honeymoon on, we've been fortunate to have grand adventures traveling the world. We adjusted to the shuttering of our oft sailed Royal, Royal Viking and Orient lines (plus an occasional cruise on recently shuttered Crystal). And, we had happily settled onto HAL's BHBs. 

Now, when looking at those pictures, DH often asks, "Who are those people?" And, a few days ago, he offhandedly asked me "Do you know that I can't travel with my wife anymore?" His innocently spoken words confirmed what I already knew. Our BHB days are shuttered, too.

Now, I will lean on the lessons DM taught as she cared for DF during his last years of significantly declining health. And, when it's time, I will use her 26 years as a widow to remind me that solo travel can be rewarding.

So, I think it best to now take my DH off the rotation list. Thanks for the love, the care, the prayer. I'll continue to lurk around The Daily. But, for the indefinite future, HAL Sailer won't be going to sea. 

Enjoy our BHBs! I'll be sailing with you all – if only in my dreams…

-Melisa

I'm so sorry to hear this sad news Melissa.

Prayers 🙏 for a miracle for your DH.

Love from Pauline and I.

Graham x

• Like 7

6 hours ago, kb4683 said:

Now to catch up.

Kay

Happy 22nd anniversary Kay.

Lovely happy picture.

Enjoy your cruise.

Graham.

Screenshot_20211124_173232.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

Thank you Roy for the lists.

Last night's meal.

Prayers for everyone on the care list.

Take care and have a nice day.

Graham.

IMG_20220307_174345.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 11