The Daily for Saturday 03/12/2022

richwmn

I am a big Girl Scout supporter.  If you could see how quickly I can empty a box of their cookies, you would understand why.  As far as the genealogy thing, that did not turn out to well for me.  I sent my DNA into one of those Ancestry places to check out my family tree and they mailed me back a pack of seeds and told me that I may want to start over.  Hope you all have a good weekend.

• Like 11
  • Haha 21

8 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

sorry for the confusion above.  I was noting that Oct. 24 was Joy and Allen's anniversary, not today!🙂

Sandi you're so sweet. You have a keen mind for remembering dates! All is well here. Thank you for thinking of us. Stay warm! Xx

• Like 19

Good Morning All,

We have the makings of a lovely day here. Our agenda includes yard work, reading the manuals for the new grill and Big Green Egg and some travel planning. The finish line for the yard is in view: we have a quick trip from the arbor people to reinstall the post wrappings, and a longer job by the landscaper to finish the steps. And DH has to install the lights. 

Yesterday we booked a last minute cruise leaving in ~3 weeks. So I have some work to do on that. I understand there’s 3 ships in town, so San Diego is going to be a zoo. Gotta decide whether we Amtrak it or drive ( if we can still get parking.)

Am continuing work on my maternal genealogy. I’m currently stuck at getting great grandparents surnames. And that may be where it ends, as I’m not holding a lot of hope to find records from the family hometown in Poland. 

@cat shepard I’ve been making a screenshot of the wines that interest me and putting them into their own album on my phone. I’m planning a jaunt to a wine shop (NapaCabs) that has a great selection, so I can fill the order. 

@StLouisCruisers Love the idea of using old sheets to protect plants.

@ger_77 That’s some cable car route. My stomach dropped just looking at that picture.

2 hours ago, cat shepard said:

My sample was even more floral with 24 hours of aeration, and I raised my score a point. Classy juice!

Dumb question here, but how do you aerate without the wine going to vinegar?

Have a great day everyone!

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 28

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily.

I'll salute Genealogy Day; I've been researching both my birth family and adopted family. I was a Girl Scout. Hitchcock was a strange man, but I do like a couple of his movies.

Good quote.

I don't mind veggie burgers. Pass on the drink, but I'll take the wine. I'm making the Skinnytaste.com chicken taco chili in the slow cooker today.

I've been to Greece, but not Santorini. I appreciate all the pictures shared.

We've got about 6-7 inches of snow on the ground and it's still coming down. Yet the St. Patrick's Day parade is still going on a little later. It's also windy, and the wind chills are in the single digits. I'll have to go out and shovel when it stops; not sure if I'll break out the snow blower or do it by hand.

@kazu Thinking of Jose and you.

@Overhead Fred Happy Birthday to Mitzi! 🎂

@Quartzsite Cruiser Happy Birthday! 🥳

@JAM37 Prayers for your family situation and that it works out as desired.

@aliaschief Nice gesture by the captain and crew. Thanks for sharing your cruise.

@grapau27 Thank you for the lovely pictures.

@Mr. Boston Great that you're feeling better!

@smitty34877 I'm glad Tana is able to participate in something that she used to do; I'm sure it helps her emotionally. 

@mamaofami Scary about the cabinet! Sorry about the broken dishes.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers to the Celebration List. Special prayers for Ukraine, it's people and all those helping them.

Stay safe everyone.

The view out my back door. I think it's stopped, so out I go to shovel (at least the front walk).

IMG_1501.thumb.JPG.e3b0f57924459d667248050e799c67d3.JPG

• Like 28
  • Thanks 5

3 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Good Morning All,

We have the makings of a lovely day here. Our agenda includes yard work, reading the manuals for the new grill and Big Green Egg and some travel planning. The finish line for the yard is in view: we have a quick trip from the arbor people to reinstall the post wrappings, and a longer job by the landscaper to finish the steps. And DH has to install the lights. 

Yesterday we booked a last minute cruise leaving in ~3 weeks. So I have some work to do on that. I understand there’s 3 ships in town, so San Diego is going to be a zoo. Gotta decide whether we Amtrak it or drive ( if we can still get parking.)

@cat shepard I’ve been making a screenshot of the wines that interest me and putting them into their own album on my phone. I’m planning a jaunt to a wine shop (NapaCabs) that has a great selection, so I can fill the order. 

@StLouisCruisers Love the idea of using old sheets to protect plants.

@ger_77 That’s some cable car route. My stomach dropped just looking at that picture.

Have a great day everyone!

Please when you are finished with the backyard can we see some photos?  It sounds so interesting.  Maybe it would help others who are planning some outdoor updates.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

When @aliaschiefmentioned the gift from the Captain and crew of his Azamara cruise, it reminded me of the notes sent from the Captain, Officers, Staff and crew of the Prinsendam during our first and so far only Grand Voyage in 2018.  This was an example of the nightly words of wisdom from our team.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLtggTjO1eK2P1zdoeYyVnn?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1647098817

I loved the description of the crew as precious!  I hope and pray Holland America doesn't drop special touches like this.  🤞

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Laura

I take pics of the labels of wine that I have tried and loved. I have a couple of email “albums” that I have sent myself. Love your idea. 

And you can safely aerate wine in its bottle for even more than 24 hours. The neck opening is so small, it doesn’t let much air in. But many sommeliers believe swirling the wine in the glass works just fine.  I used to think swirling was pretentious, when I was much younger. Until someone shared a “before” & “after” with me. 

• Like 26
  • Thanks 4

A snowy cold Good Morning to you all from Nashville, TN and a thank you to Rich for the Daily. 

Genealogy, yep did quite a bit of that before the kids arrived. We will get back to it one day. Alfred Hitchcock, soo many great movies. Rebecca is my favorite B/W (book is good too) and North by Northwest is my favorite color... but Cary Grant always melted my butter. 

Hugs and prayers for those on the care list. Cheers for those who are celebrating!

Sorry for the absence but my days have been over full getting MIL out of rehab and into assisted living. So many details, so many little things to think of and I am point person/chief bottle washer/slave labor :classic_tongue: as my husband is an only child and he has to work all day. It reminds me of when you move into your first apartment, you need well, everything. We got a few things from her home of 46 years (which had become more of a prison with steps everywhere and rugs and thick carpet which are all horrible for the mobility impaired) but most of her furniture is just way too big, too heavy, too tall, or simply ready to be tossed in the dumpster. So I had 2 furniture deliveries to navigate. Mil needed some medical assistance devices so I had to coordinate that. Our Amazon delivery guy must be getting really sick of coming to my house as I have used them so much to get all the odds and ends from dish towels to bed sheets to a coffee maker to accent tables. BUT I am sooo thankful for Amazon! They have made this much easier on me.

The assisted living folks have been fantastic. I have told my dh when we get to that point, I pray we can be at a place like mil. It is just wonderful. Mil has a private 1 bedroom apartment with kitchen. It is very spacious but not too big as her limited mobility is an issue. She is getting all her therapy (PT/OT/ST) in her apartment which is fantastic as they are helping her get used to USING her new home to her ability level. 

All in all, while exhausting, this was a fantastic move for her and she looks and moves better now than she has in 2 years. I think this move will add quality years to her life. Plus, her grandchildren have far more access to her now (the most important part).

This experience has also taught us a great deal about how dh and I should deal with this eventuality.. plan far ahead, tour facilities, talk to others in the know, get everything in order so our kids have a seamless transition and don't feel completely overwhelmed (I have to admit I have felt that a bit lately), move in before the crisis hits and maybe we will avoid the crisis all together, know our limitations, and be willing to accept help without fear or guilt. 

And to leave you, you know Alfred Hitchcock loved to place himself in every single movie he directed, a hallmark of his and one of his many many quirks. Just little cameos walking a dog or sitting on a bus or waiting at a street corner but fun to watch out for. So here is a photo article of every cameo he made in his movies. Enjoy.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/every-cameo-that-alfred-hitchcock-made-in-his-films/ss-BB1gzWXm

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 2

👍Thank you for The Daily, Rich @richwmnand to Roy @rafinmdfor sharing the Care and Celebration Lists. 😎Happy Saturday and have a good weekend!

Santorini is on our Bucket List (thank you for sharing photos!) ...we've been to Mykonos and Corfu with "Princess" in the past. 🛳️

🎂Best wishes to Lenda, Pauline and Mitzi celebrating birthdays!🎂

🙏Continued prayers for all in need and Ukraine.🙏

Katie 

20220312_065752.jpg

20220312_064700.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you for today's lists Roy @rafinmd

It is Pauline's 60th birthday tomorrow and we will be celebrating on our ship in Barcelona.

Graham.

Wishing Pauline a  wonderful Birthday and  many  many more.         My  Wife  Sheilas  Birthday is today she is 80 yrs young.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Nearby storm/tornado caused a lot of damage in Ocala about 8:15 am today.  We are in the northeast corner of the city; the storm hit in the southwest portion. Still under a tornado watch.

The damage is just west of I-75, mostly along FL-200 (big box store/mall area) and in a subdivision due east of there on the other side of I-75. Roofs gone, fences down, windows blown out, etc. Storm also went through On Top Of The World (a couple miles sw of the city limits) with less damage. Reports still coming in, but no injuries so far. FL200 is still closed west of I-75.

Edited by Cruise Suzy
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 17

Happy 110th birthday to all who are or who have been Girl Scouts. I’m proud to say I have been for 68 years. My mother, who was also a Girl Scout for 80 years, signed me up as soon as I was old enough to be a Brownie. DC230B36-2990-4C13-90F6-9900DCA6C677.jpeg.7fa946c3fad36146c53efb3f7c70cc0b.jpeg
Once a Girl Scout, always a Girl Scout 🥳

249872E9-18CF-4F97-B418-B81A7D57D904.jpeg.e4e399127ce1723bd193eeeb106e129a.jpeg

• Like 29

3 hours ago, JAM37 said:

At 54 I am still debating whether or not to deal with the court system in order to receive my adoption records.

I have three adopted siblings near that age and they are all over the map in what they choose to pursue or find out. Two of the three have found some family from their birth line. The third one doesn't understand why they don't just let it go; he has no interest in knowing anyone from the people that "didn't want" him.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 4

Good morning,

A busy posting day so far!

here in SoFlo the weather is sunny but windy. We are expecting some stormy weather later today and there is a gale warning for  local waters. Might be a rocky sail away for the ships today.

Planning on cleaning the guest room today, my sister is arriving from England on Wednesday and is staying one night before leaving on a transatlantic to Barcelona on Oceania. This will be first time since Jan 2019 I have seen one of my siblings in person. Gin and tonics and much catching up are definitely on the schedule.

Hoping everyone has a great weekend, and birthday wishes to those celebrating.

M

Edited by Sea Viewer
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, irishjim said:

Wishing Pauline a  wonderful Birthday and  many  many more.         My  Wife  Sheilas  Birthday is today she is 80 yrs young.

So many birthdays in March including my extended family!  Happy birthday wishes to your wife Sheila!  I know you and DW will enjoy celebrating her 80 years.🥂🎂

11 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Nearby storm/tornado caused a lot of damage in Ocala about 8:15 am today.  We are in the northeast corner of the city; the storm hit in the southwest portion. Still under a tornado watch.

The damage is just west of I-75, mostly along FL-200 (big box store/mall area) and in a subdivision due east of there on the other side of I-75. Roofs gone, fences down, windows blown out, etc. Storm also went through On Top Of The World (a couple miles sw of the city limits) with less damage. Reports still coming in, but no injuries so far. FL200 is still closed west of I-75.

That sounds terrible!  Tornadoes don't give people much time to get out of the way, so I hope no one was hurt or killed.  Prayers for all affected.🙏  

3 minutes ago, Sea Viewer said:

Good morning,

A busy posting day so far!

here in SoFlo the weather is sunny but windy. We are expecting some stormy weather later today and there is a gale warning for  local waters. Might be a rocky sail away for the ships today.

Planning on cleaning the guest room today, my sister is arriving from England on Wednesday and is staying one night before leaving on a transatlantic to Barcelona on Oceania. This will be first time since Jan 2019 I have seen one of my siblings in person. Gin and tonics and much catching up are definitely on the schedule.

Hoping everyone has a great weekend, and birthday wishes to those celebrating.

M

How wonderful your sister is coming to stay with you before her cruise.  If only she could stay longer! 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Happy Birthday, @Overhead Fred's Mitzi and @Quartzsite CruiserLenda!

🎂   🎈   🎈   🎈   🎊        

We had an email this morning from a friend who opened a B&B in Umbria.  They are having a silver wedding anniversary celebration there next summer.  How fun is that!?  Of course, it conflicts with our planned Voyage of the Vikings, so maybe a pivot to a Med cruise next summer?  Wonderful dilemma to have.  😊

I'm a big Hitchcock fan.  His later films are too scary for me, but all the rest are great.  Like @marshhawkAnn, we do a film festival every so often.  I've got all of them on DVD.   

All the different kinds of veggie burgers are interesting.  I still like the original Garden Burgers.  The ones that try to taste like meat, but aren't meat, just confuse me.  Garden Burgers stand on their own merit. lol

Well, that's all the news here that's fit to print.  Many thanks to Rich and Company for the Daily and wishing all a joyous Saturday.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, StLouisCruisers said:

How wonderful your sister is coming to stay with you before her cruise.  If only she could stay longer! 

Wish she could too but with covid testing requirements in the US and the cruise it just got very complicated. I'm hoping to be able to go to England soon, once DH is feeling a little better and I feel comfortable leaving him to take care of himself for a few days. His cardiac rehab starts next week so fingers crossed 🤞

• Like 20

Good morning, all! The gremlins have dumped my post twice, so here’s a shorter version. Happy birthday @Quartzsite Cruiser Lenda, and @Overhead Fred  DW Mitzi. @marshhawk I hope your DH has some relief from his pain today. @mamaofami hats awful about the cupboard and dishes. Fate just isn’t giving you any break at all! And as always, love and prayers to @kazu Jacqui, Jose, and Marley.

And of course, prayers and strength to the Ukraine and it’s people in their fight against monstrous inhumanity. 

@StLouisCruisers I just loved those daily cards on the Grand World Voyage. The final one we had from Captain Mercer, Officers, Staff and Precious Crew said ‘We will surely reach our destination if we join hands.’ That was the night before we left the ship in Perth, Australia when the world ground to a halt.

Yesterday I walked into the lab that had given me April 13 as the earliest possible appointment for a blood draw booking online. Turns out they do take walk ins. Two hours later I walked out with all blood work and my ECG done and over with. 
Happy Saturday, prayers for those trying to get to their BHB through the Florida storms!

7AD3CA3B-688E-4338-84E7-FF25FB36D889.thumb.jpeg.37b19ece5ba44bebf4944a2902401ef0.jpeg

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 1