bathroom glasses cleaned, not replaced??

CaliforniaDon

1 minute ago, Denny01 said:

Why assume a lounge glass is cleaned and  a BR glass wouldn’t be ‘properly cleaned’ since its right next to a sink and soap and so on? 

Aren’t we a bit over worried about this? Its not a glass being shared;  It’s in a private area; it appears clean and there is no reason to think it isn’t. You can take this a bit too far on what the steward isn’t cleaning cant you? 

Den

I actually don't keep glasses in my bathroom at home due to mist scatter from flushing toilets, just a habit for me.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

That has been proven to be true overall, but mostly in childhood.  We are talking the age of Covid and we are talking of many people of an age way past childhood whose immune systems are not what they used to be.

I am not a germaphobe, but I have never used a cruise or hotel glass in my cabin/room that I did not first clean myself.  Mostly I rely on water bottles I purchase or the refillable bottle I use as I do not like the new aluminum bottles Celebrity is using.

What method and cleaning materials do you use?

We bring along  small disposable bthrm cups  like we use at home and larger ones for other bevs.. and some paper plates for snacks.

Any dirty glasses can be put on tray with used dishes from the canapes.. and are hopefully replaced with new ones..Always rinse well before use .

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 5waldos said:

I have always believed that people who encounter some level of germs and dirt are healthier than those who lived in sterile environments.

Yup, that's what someone at the buffet told me when I asked " What the f--- are ya doin  pickin from the tray " ? Was that you ??

• Haha 1

I remember many, many years ago (1980s, I believe) there was an expose on 20/20 or some other TV news magazine, where they used hidden cameras to record footage of hotel maids using their cleaning rag (same one they used on toilet and sink) to clean and polish the drinking glasses.  They showed this happening in several different hotels, including upscale ones.  I wash our drinking glasses in the cabin or hotel room so I know they are clean.

• Like 4

For 10 years I’ve gone on cruises with Hydrogen Peroxide wipes and wiped down every surface, light switch and remote before unpacking because I was told this would help prevent catching Norovirus. 

I travel with my own paper bathroom cups or drink from a water bottle in the bathroom. 

When I go to hotels I wash out the coffee maker with soap and water because I once read jerks pee into the hotel coffee makers for laughs. 
Thats about the extent of my OCD ridiculousness. 
We all have our own pet peeves. 
If the thought of the glasses possibly being dirty bothers you, don’t use them. 
It really is that simple. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

I’m a mild germaphobe. Drinkware in hotel rooms, even high end hotels, is a hard pass for me. I’ll go to the lobby bar and grab wine or champagne glasses if I need to. 

I hate to tell you but…..

• Haha 1

From this wonderful thread, I’ve learned:

1. People think a bartender who is surrounded by liquor and has probably been ‘sipping’ a bit here and there throughout the night, is much more into cleanliness than someone whose job is to ‘clean’. And would Never reuse a glass when he started to run out……

2. What a fantastic job it would be to be a security luggage inspector and see all the cleaning materials people have in their luggage! So much for looking for smuggled liquor and knives/guns/bazookas….they are just enjoying looking at all the cleaning wipes/bottles/sprays packed away.

3. How many people actually believe some joke a teenager decided to add to the internet about what they do to the coffee machines in hotels. And I always thought the coffee made in those things were very very bad coffee because of the terrible coffee beans(?) they had instead of what some guy ‘poured’ into it.

By the way, I just read on the internet that some cruisers go around after the bars are closed and spit into the ‘clean’ wine glasses!!!

Den

Edited by Denny01
  • Haha 2

I used to work as a maid in a major chain hotel. We were given 15 minutes to clean a single-bed room and 20 minutes for a double-bed room. Can you imagine stripping two queen sized beds, 4-6 pillows, re-making everything, removing all towels, hanging all new ones neatly, wiping down countertops and sinks, scrubbing a toilet, polishing mirrors and windows, disinfecting phones, and vacuuming the floor all in 20 minutes?  I didn’t even mention refreshing the ice buckets, replenishing supplies like cups and TP, spraying room freshener, or dealing with unmentionable human liquids in inappropriate places that cause significant delays in cleaning. So, I’ll tell you from experience, if something looks clean, the maid skipped it and took care of other things. If the bed looked unused, we skipped remaking in. We used one spray for everything and the same rag or a towel from the room. It was like trying to do four things at once in that rush to turn the room over. It would not surprise me at all if glasses at best were ignored and neglected, and at worst, sprayed out with disinfectant and wiped dry with whatever towel was handy.  I am not implying at all that this happens aboard cruise lines, but having worked in housekeeping, I wash my own glasses or use a refillable bottle. 

Edited by HankaM
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, mfs2k said:

When I go to hotels I wash out the coffee maker with soap and water because I once read jerks pee into the hotel coffee makers for laughs. 

Omg. I may never be able to use a hotel in-room coffee maker again.  😩

Hello,

So for all my (long-ish) life I've got it wrong. I though a holiday was for rest and relaxation.

No, it seems it's a time to give expression of one's paranoia verging on masochism.

Regards,

Cublet

• Haha 2

Add me to the group who always wash glasses before using them in our room….We tend to cruise in suites so have a cupboard full of assorted. Each time we get one from the cupboard it is thoroughly  rinsed in hot water…Even if our room attendant has washed them thoroughly you have no idea how long they have been dust gathering.

We also always wipe over surfaces with disinfectant wipes, door handles and the remote control. Takes seconds…As others have said this has always been our routine well before covid in hotels as well as on ships to reduce the risk mainly of noro.

Just curious. Is the objection here that you should not have to use the same glass throughout the cruise without it being in a dishwasher? Or that you are concerned about how the glass is being ‘cleaned’ in the room and concerned that it is making your glass dirty?

I don’t know. At home I use the same coffee cup and water cup throughout the week and wash them on the weekend. So that doesn’t seem strange to me. Guess it depends a bit on how long this cruise was.

9 hours ago, HankaM said:

I used to work as a maid in a major chain hotel. We were given 15 minutes to clean a single-bed room and 20 minutes for a double-bed room. Can you imagine stripping two queen sized beds, 4-6 pillows, re-making everything, removing all towels, hanging all new ones neatly, wiping down countertops and sinks, scrubbing a toilet, polishing mirrors and windows, disinfecting phones, and vacuuming the floor all in 20 minutes?  I didn’t even mention refreshing the ice buckets, replenishing supplies like cups and TP, spraying room freshener, or dealing with unmentionable human liquids in inappropriate places that cause significant delays in cleaning. So, I’ll tell you from experience, if something looks clean, the maid skipped it and took care of other things. If the bed looked unused, we skipped remaking in. We used one spray for everything and the same rag or a towel from the room. It was like trying to do four things at once in that rush to turn the room over. It would not surprise me at all if glasses at best were ignored and neglected, and at worst, sprayed out with disinfectant and wiped dry with whatever towel was handy.  I am not implying at all that this happens aboard cruise lines, but having worked in housekeeping, I wash my own glasses or use a refillable bottle. 

I work for 4 Diamond hotels in NYC. Housekeepers in our hotels are given 35-40 mins per room. That sucks you’re given so little time to clean. 

4 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

That's disgusting.

( I always, oops, unless you are " correcting " me , enjoy reading your posts ).

What you are referring to above is probably not happening.

Ya wanna talk about " disgusting"----

How about slobs at the buffet, how about men/women who " forget " to wash their hands or flush the toilet in the public washrooms , etc, etc.

What the Cruise Lines should do is to put up a sign reading:

" Please flush--If bell rings YOU win a prize ".

( Of course, there is no bell--- but it will work ).

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Pinboy said:

Yup, that's what someone at the buffet told me when I asked " What the f--- are ya doin  pickin from the tray " ? Was that you ??

Must have been my twin by another mother. 

• Haha 1