The Daily for Wednesday 06/01/2022

richwmn

Today is Dare Day, Flip a Coin Day, and Heimlich Maneuver Day

Books are a uniquely portable magic.--Stephen King, On Writing; A Memoir of the Craft

Meal Suggestion for today - spiced quinoa and chickpea bites
Drink of the Day - Mango Hurricane
Wine of the Day - Zonin Moscato, Italy
Destination of the Day - Rhodes, Greece

Ships With Passengers

Barcelona, Spain

Oosterdam   - 16:00

Gibraltar, UK

Nieuw Statendam   13:00 - 23:00

Glacier Bay, Alaska

Koningsdam   07:00 - 16:00

Juneau, Alaska

Noordam   10:00 - 22:00

Kristiansand, Norway

Rotterdam   08:00 - 17:00

Prince Edward Island, Charlottetown, Canada

Zaandam   08:00 - 18:00

Sitka, Baranof Island, Alaska

Eurodam   08:00 - 17:00

Skagway, Alaska

Nieuw Amsterdam   07:00 - 21:00

Vancouver, BC Canada

Zuiderdam   07:00 - 16:00

Ukrainian Refugee Housing

Rotterdam Waalhaven

Volendam  

Ships Without Passengers

At Sea

Westerdam   Destination Seattle, WA eta 6/7

0601World.thumb.png.a84757e97a330c218e52ebca1a5bf83a.png
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 10

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida.

Good quote as I'm a voracious reader.

Visited Rhodes back in 1999 and loved it especially Lindos.

Thank's for The Daily, stay well and have a great day.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 27

Rabbit  Rabbit  White Rabbit

Thanks for the Daily Report.

Welcome June!  Please be a good month.🤞

Hot and humid here this morning.  We had thunder and lightning and a bit of rain overnight.  This is supposed to be our last day of hot weather for a while.

I'm a very careful, conservative person so I don't think I'll do any crazy dares today.  Maybe I'll flip a coin to make a decision.  The Heimlich Maneuver is a great thing that everyone should learn to do.

Good quote.

I'll pass on the meal.

I hope the drink is tasty and doesn't leave me spinning.  I'm sure I'll like the wine.

We've never been to Rhodes, thanks in advance for the pictures.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 27

Rabbit, rabbit, rabbit and thanks for the daily report.  Dare day a d flip a coin day sound like perfect childhood summer pursuits. I’ve actually seen the Heimlich used successfully on someone choking in a restaurant so it definitely deserves a day.  I love the quote.  No to the meal and yes to the drink.  I haven’t been to Rhodes and look forward to seeing the photos. Prayers for everyone on today’s prayer list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events. 

• Like 25

Mango Hurricane:

Ingredients
1 part Cruzan® Mango Rum
1 part Cruzan® Aged Dark Rum
Orange Juice
1 splash Grenadine
Orange Wedges
Cherries

Instructions
Combine ingredients with ice in a hurricane glass. Add a splash of grenadine. Garnish with orange wedge and a cherry.

Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 7.07.50 AM.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 4

Good afternoon from North East England.

It is currently 56°F and sunny but it was raining heavily an hour ago.

Thank you Rich for today's daily.

We did some silly Dares as children.

Flip a coin is what our football referees did before a game when captains of the teams decided which end we would use first.

For anyone choking the Heimlich maneuver can be a lifesaver to remove something stuck in your oesophagus or trachia.

Nice wine but not sure of the food.

Rhodes is a nice Greek island.

Best wishes to Debbie @dfish for her operation today and to everyone who is unwell for a quick recovery.

I hope everyone has a safe and nice day.

Graham 

• Like 25

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich. Another glorious morning here. Thinking of you @dfish Debbie praying that this surgery takes care of the problem. 

Welcome home, Roy. Thank you for sharing your journey with us and still keeping our lists! Morning Dailyites.  @kazu praying that this week has not been too difficult. Miss you. 

Another of the one-liners from my friend’s emails. Again, sadly appropriate for this time…

F2C7EB6B-554A-40FB-A712-78912883412A.jpeg.519ac091bd4faa9be65900a79375a6ff.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Zonin Moscato, Italy

This Moscato has excellent consumer reviews. Several online distributors with prices starting at $12.99.   Though I am not a fan of Moscatos, I recently enjoyed a Lemon Moscato. The lemon really helped manage the sweetness. 

Distributor Notes

Zonin is one of the most acknowledged and distinguished Italian wine brand both at national and international stage, thanks to the passion and commitment that seven generations of the Zonin Family have dedicated to vine-growing and wine-making.

The Zonin Family has maintained a strong link with its roots in the land and vineyards on the hills of Gambellara, a small village in the heart of Veneto Region, between Venice and Verona, where vines have grown for centuries and where Zonin produces a selected range of still and sparkling wines from the most prestigious appellations, DOC and DOCG, of this territory, including Prosecco.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 3

Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit!   I need the good luck today!

It is a nice sunny day here in northeast Ohio.  It isn't supposed to get as hot as the last two days.  Many thanks to @Cruzin Terri, @cruzn single, @erewhon, @puppycanducruise, and @grapau27 for the best wishes.   No need to say what I've got planned today!

Today's meal is a great one for vegans.   We carnivores will probably find it lacking.  There is only one recipe that is repeated on various sites for the exact meal of the day.   They are all using the recipe from Epicurious.  I have exhausted my free recipes so can't use that site.   https://www.punchfork.com/recipe/Spiced-Quinoa-and-Chickpea-Bites-Epicurious

1250209091_spicedquinoa1.thumb.jpg.0a47affa0e2361036fb2657c3937b883.jpg

This next one comes close.  The avocado part sounds good to me.  https://bestofvegan.com/chickpea-and-quinoa-balls-with-avocado-aquafaba-aioli/

577067862_spicedquinoa2.thumb.jpg.e1ed6843298d00a76dcc76948882090d.jpg

I think this one comes close.  It has a coconut quinoa.    https://lifesum.com/nutrition-explained/recipe/chickpea-balls-with-quinoa

1380580578_spicedquinoa3.png.b5b78760b5a6a7be8e8f467319648ada.png

This last one is quite a departure from the original.  It spices the chickpeas and mixes them with quinoa.  https://vegangela.com/2011/08/31/quinoa-with-roasted-spiced-chickpeas-pine-nuts/

273440174_spicedquinoa4.jpg.2deae29fb98fe10734d1b01a4945da1d.jpg

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine, the victims of gun violence, and our Daily family members struggling with challenges.  Special prayers for Jacqui @kazu, hoping she rejoins the family soon.   Cheers to those who are celebrating.   Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 32
  • Thanks 5

Good morning. What a difference a day makes.  88 and 25 mph winds. Today it is 48 and blowing from the north.  

I was fortunate to have my life saved by the Heimlich maneuver. At a Morton's Steakhouse in Atlanta.  Too big a piece of prime rib.  It was noisy and rather dark but my colleague across the table saw what was happening and it took two pushes and I was saved. I was fine. Finished my wine but no more prime rib that night.  

I was able to save my Dad with it also. Again it was rib roast.   

Prayers for all in need, the people of Ukraine and the grieving families in Uvalde and Buffalo.  @dfish I hope your surgery is successful and takes away your pain.  

My Itoh peony back home.  DS sent it so I could enjoy it.  

5427.jpeg

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

Today's sunrise is from the aftermath of a May 2013 Blount Small Ship Adventures cruisefrom New Orleans to Tampa.  On June 1 the sun came up while I was on Amtrak's Silver Meteor just south of Washington, DC:

dawn0601.jpg

Roy

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Rabbit, Rabbit, White Rabbit

Good Morning from a arm and sunny day at the beach.

The Heimlich Maneuver has saved many lives. Something everyone should learn. Dont do many "daring " things anymore but I will flip a coin.

Not been to todays port. Looking forward to pictures.

@cat shepard  Ann, the one liner you posted today is so true!  

@dfish  Debbie,   We will be thinking of you today. Waiting to hear the good results.

Not much happening here today. Water aerobics this AM, then I must do some cleaning. Other than that, it will be quiet which is a good thing. 

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 27

Good morning, Friends. Thank you for the Daily, the Lists and the Recipes.

Everyone should learn how to do the Heimlich maneuver. No dares here today. Maybe I'll flip a coin to decide what to have for dinner.

Great quote! Again, I would eat the meal if put in front of me but it wouldn't be one I would make. 

Debbie, @dfish, praying for you and your surgical team.

Graham, @grapau27, great news about your test results. 

Roy, @rafinmd, welcome home. 

Ann, @cat shepard, another good one liner.

Ann, @marshhawk, I woke up in the middle of the night thinking about you. How was work? Praying things go well with your new schedule.

It is overcast and warm here. The forecast is calling for clouds, rain and thunderstorms.

Prayers that everyone has a wonderful Wednesday. 

🙏 and 🎉 for those on our lists.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Good morning. It is remarkably cooler this morning  and I celebrated  by taking the dogs for a very long walk. 

I have used the Heimlich twice with relatives and it is important  to know.I am no longer very daring but will flip a coin.

The recipe looks great to me but I would need alternatives  for the carnivores. I think I will make bean and cheese enchiladas  today since everyone  likes  them.Thanks Debbie, for the recipes. We hope to gear all is well later today.

Yesterday  I made dog sitting arrangements  for a few days on July.We will join DS and family at the Cape.We will again be close to National Seashore beaches. I am looking online for portable beach chairs that will be easier to get out of.Last year DH was in a lower one and thank goodness there was sufficient  help to get him upright.

Enjoy the day everyone!

Terry

• Like 29

Rabbit, Rabbit, white rabbit.  Good Morning Dailyites!

@dfishI hope that todays surgery alleviates pain, and gets you back on the road to BETTER!

Get-better-soon-please-all-that-s-left-to-eat-is-peas-Cat-Please-Get-Well-Soon-meme-500x375.jpg

@JAM37 All went well yesterday.  I had two sales, but working until 11 pm reminds me of all those weird jobs I have had in the past with odd hours.  And then when I get off from work, I have to send in my nightly report, and then unwind.  DH had the tv on, so I came in and worked at the computer until midnight, and listened to his show he was watching.  At midnight, he went to bed, and turned off the tv.

Figured it was time to try to sleep.  No problem.  It's the staying asleep that I have problems with. Every two hours I am awake.  Thank you for thinking of me.

h58A97ED3

• Like 28
  • Haha 2

Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit.   Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I don't do much on a dare any more, but might consider it.  Not having used cash for the past 2+ years, there aren't many coins around to flip.  As a St. John's First Aid instructor, I've taught thousands of people to use the Heimlich maneuver; I actually used it on a gentleman in the Lido as we were departing Venice a few years ago.  

Today's quote is so true - books have a magical way of transporting you from one place to another.  I'm definitely putting a Mango Hurricane on my "must try" list when on a BHB.  I'm sure DH would enjoy today's wine selection, but it's too sweet for my palate.

Well after more than 2 years of not being able to entertain, it was delightful having 2 couples come for brunch yesterday.  I fussed over everything from the origami napkins to the food decoration; DH thought I was nuts.  LOL  It just felt so good to have friends around us again and the conversation flowed as easily as the mimosas and coffee.  After they left and we were cleaning up, we had a notification on our phones of a frost warning . . . .argh!  Once the food and dishes were all put away, we went outside to get the plants ready for the night.  DH always has a bunch of long bamboo poles, etc., so made a structure so we could cover about 20' of plants, rather than doing them individually.  Thankfully, when we replaced our curtains a number of years ago, I saved the heavy cotton liners, so they made great covers for us.  

@dfishsending prayers for your surgery today, and for your surgical team as well.

@AncientWanderercongratulations on your new DGS - you just know we'll be wanting photos of this new little boy!

I'm going to take a pass on today's menu suggestion, as it just doesn't appeal to me, and I know DH would look in the fridge for something else.  LOL  He mentioned something yesterday about cleaning the barbecue today, so I'm thinking he's going to want to cook up some smokies tonight.  At this point it's looking like we'll be having smokies, corn on the cob and coleslaw on the table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for the people of Ukraine and for the families in Uvalde who are mourning the loss of their dear ones.  We'll raise the glasses and salute all who make up the celebration list.  Be safe, get your boosters, wear masks when you need to, and stay well.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. Years ago my daughter had a neighborhood girl friend over. My daughter ran to to me and said something is wrong with Rachel. When I got to her she was choking and turning blue. I performed Heimlich maneuver and out came a piece of apple she had been eating. Two weeks later that same girl presented me with a medal that stated, “My Hero.”

I have over used my dare you days but I’m in the flipping coin age which is wake up or don’t wake up. Blessed the coin flip is still working in my favor!🙏

We have an appointment this morning to receive another booster shot. Do hope any reaction is as mild as past vaccine’s.

Now that my Sue is retired she spends much of her time thinking up honey do this and honey do that. I’ve only been up 20 minutes and have been tasked! Got to love that gal!

Have a great day everyone. Have been to today’s port of call; so maybe some pics later.

• Like 28
  • Haha 1