The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday August 28th, 2022

richwmn

Good morning from a partly cloudy and breezy central Texas.  Beginning later today, our rain chances will increase for the next week.  In spite of getting two inches of rain last Monday, we still need rain.

I suppose I've raced my mouse around the icons at one time or another.  We'll fondly remember all our pets who have crossed the Rainbow Bridge.  Red wine is enjoyed in this house.

Today's quote is interesting.  We will pass on the meal and the drink, and will wait for information on the wine.

While we have sailed past Baie-Comeau several times going to and from Quebec City but, it has never been a port for us.

@rafinmd  Roy, what a touching story yesterday about the three couples.

@richwmn  Rich, thanks for the heads-up about @GTVCRUISER's pictures.  I"ve noticed his pictures there in the past.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, safe travels today and I hope a very successful doctor visit tomorrow.  I'm glad you worked things out with your friend.  In a similar situation I kept my distance for a few days, then resumed the friendship.  I doubt she ever new how hurtful her words were, but we've been friends too long to end the friendship.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I'm glad the knee pain is better.

@Cat in my lap  Sorry about the pain and stiffness.  If I sit too long, especially in the car, it takes a bit to get moving normally.  My guess its "process aging".

@smitty34877  Terry, that's good news about Tana being stable the last week or so.  Sending good thoughts she remains stable for a long time.

@Seasick Sailor  l hope the drive to the airport and back is uneventful, and that by tonight Austin's weekend traffic has slowed down.

Lenda

• Like 22
  • Thanks 4

Good Morning All,

It’s really beginning to feel like fall here. We actually needed a light blanket in the early morning hours, and it’s dark now in the morning.

We have several pooches who have crossed the rainbow bridge to remember today. Each was special, including my second wire hair fox terrier who was aggressive and grouchy.

Will be working in the booth this morning at church. We had a last minute vacancy that needed filling.

@dfish Oh my, I want a bowl of that for lunch.

Bon voyage to @cat shepard, and may you have a safe trip and peaceful flights, so you don’t come back comparing your trip to this:

548B2411-BBE0-494B-ACE7-06D9E3A60EA0.png.0b185e5012eaaedab2d3edc59d3fad8e.png

As is fitting, we have a red wine to celebrate Red Wine Day. Today’s selection is a Tannat-Cabernet Franc red blend hailing from southwest France. 

Château Peyros 2017 Vieilles Vignes (Madiran) South West France

Wine Enthusiast chooses this wine as it’s #81 Top 100 Selections 2021 and rates it at 93 points. I’m finding it for $23 a bottle

This rich, wood-aged wine comes from 40- to 50-year-old vines on an estate at the southern limit of the Madiran appellation. It brings together dense tannins and old-vine concentration. The acidity, black-plum flavors and tannins will keep this wine developing for many years. Drink from 2023. ROGER VOSS

From baronfrancois.com

“TASTING NOTES

Red cherry robe, intense and brilliant. The nose is now well opened with intense notes of fruits (cherry, rasperry, black-currant) with notes of vanilla and lightly toasted. The mouth is both powerful and elegant. Tannins are present and well coated. On the palate, fruit aromas are really dominating with a long finish.

GOURMET INSTANT

Will pair nicely with roasted meat, (lamb, beef), saucy meat, spicy beef tartar, duck breast.”

Have a great day everyone!

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 5

A rainy Sunday here.  I got a half days work of cutting back my plants yesterday when the rain began.  A lazy day sitting inside watching horse racing yesterday and football in the evening.  Baltimore Ravens fans are sending well wishes to our mascot Poe who was injured in a halftime game with kids. He had to be carted off the field.  More football today as I work on cleaning and beginning to box up excess to bring home. We still have to go to town tomorrow to get things like bread and dairy products. We go through a lot of bread during tomato season.  Tonight is freezer emptying with pulled pork nachos for dinner. 

Thanks for the Daily Reports!  Meal and vino look great. We carry a lot of red wine on board for our dining enjoyment.  Even our own orange table cloth until we found that stewards would bring one.  It is almost always red wine day at our house.  I truly miss my 2 kitties who have crossed the Rainbow Bridge. I am grateful I had them with me first several years after I lost my DH. Prayers for all on our Care list. 🙏🇺🇦

IMG_20220217_181217189.jpg

• Like 30

Today's sunrise is from the same trip as the photo from my cousin's farm.  I returned from Montreal August 27-28, spending the night August 27 in Poughkeepsie as the train to New York arrives too late for a reliable connection to Baltimore.  This sunrise is from Poughkeepsie August 28, 2015:

dawn0428.jpg

Roy

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Sandi.

We get 

Blackbirds.

Thrushes.

Greenfinches.

Goldfinches.

Sparrows.

Wrens.

Blue and Great Tits.

Magpies.

Wood pigeons.

Woodpeckers.

regularly in our gardens.

We have just had a lovely salad in our Summer house.

166168874752637152721751568225.jpg

IMG_20220828_123455.jpg

Graham, your "back yard" uhh I mean garden looks to be a bird sanctuary!  Enjoy watching and identifying them. 🐦 Sounds so peaceful.   And that salad, oh my!  Looks delicious!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you for today's fleet reports and Daily Rich.

Looks like some lovely destinations for all the ships.

Neither of us like Red wine.

Nice quote.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

We are relaxing in the garden where it is sunny and 66°F.

All of these Elderberry trees are full of berries overlooking where we are sitting.

I hope everyone is safe and well and enjoying today.

Prayers for everyone who need them and happy sailing for those currently cruising.

Graham.

IMG_20220828_103448.jpg

Beautiful.  Do you make anything with the elderberries?

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

We had a bunch of friends (from cottages up the lakeshore) over last night. I grilled lots of Bratwurst (from Nueskes in Wisconsin), Mitzi made potato salad, and guests brought tossed salad, raspberry cake, and assorted appetizers. After the feast, we all went out in boats for another "sunset cruise".

20220827_174417.thumb.jpg.727264e2111c4e30322ed086fe5bdbe2.jpg

20220827_174438.thumb.jpg.58009b1f208ecfc66cc48d9f432951ec.jpg

20220827_174443.thumb.jpg.48638cb5ab095349e8a3a3e98fc03a51.jpg

20220827_183648.thumb.jpg.7bd02a67f70a8c6a3339b8f56aae8d39.jpg

20220827_194819.thumb.jpg.196923e1b99af5a02235df061afb8cd9.jpg

Edited by Overhead Fred
  • Like 35
  • Haha 1

Good Morning from a very cloudy day at the beach.

I am a big Jane Austin fan, so I do like that quote from Darcy`s proposal to Elizabeth.

Never been to todays port.

Lots of excitement here in preparation for the big launch tomorrow. We have been advised to stay home and off the roads because they are expecting gridlock. Went out early this AM to get some groceries. There will also be 5 ships at Port Canaveral tomorrow . I feel bad for anyone that is heading to a cruise and did not know about this launch. It will be quite exciting. All the news networks are expected and National Geographic is here doing a documentary. 

@cat shepard Hope you have a wonderful trip.

Stay safe and enjoy today.

Charlene

• Like 26

Good morning all!

Again I'm rushing this morning.  We will be babysitting the grandsons today while DD and DSIL go diving and then later to a concert tonight.  So about 12 hours or so.....it will be good to be home tomorrow and doing nothing 😉  Then I remind myself that we won't see them for about 6 weeks this fall (self quarantine and then 30 days cruising)!

Yesterday was a very good day for us, 21 of the family together for the first time in many years.  Great food (a lot of it) and great company!

DD is kneeling in the front and our DS is standing in the back on the left.

Will check in again later, I hope everyone has a good day!

1789957039_Familypicnic2022.thumb.jpg.6e5d7db0a098bf0168e9f46260a7d76f.jpg

• Like 32

8 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Again I'm rushing this morning.  We will be babysitting the grandsons today while DD and DSIL go diving and then later to a concert tonight.  So about 12 hours or so.....it will be good to be home tomorrow and doing nothing 😉  Then I remind myself that we won't see them for about 6 weeks this fall (self quarantine and then 30 days cruising)!

Yesterday was a very good day for us, 21 of the family together for the first time in many years.  Great food (a lot of it) and great company!

What a wonderful day you must have had!  Such a nice photo of everyone.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

I boarded the Voyager OTS at noon. So far I find it annoying, but that’s typical for embarkation day. OTOH, it seems to be less refined, more glitzy than the Radiance-class ships — and also freezing cold.

I wish I could post a photo of Addison and Fergus, littermates who are now reunited at the Rainbow Bridge, but I don’t have one on any device that I brought.

Many thanks for inclusion in the cares list. No pain or bleeding, so I think I’m OK.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

I boarded the Voyager OTS at noon. So far I find it annoying, but that’s typical for embarkation day. OTOH, it seems to be less refined, more glitzy than the Radiance-class ships — and also freezing cold.

I wish I could post a photo of Addison and Fergus, littermates who are now reunited at the Rainbow Bridge, but I don’t have one on any device that I brought.

Many thanks for inclusion in the cares list. No pain or bleeding, so I think I’m OK.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise on Voyager of the seas.

• Like 10

Thanks for our Sunday Daily, Rich.

Very late to the party today and never got back yesterday, sorry. Between two very busy roll calls, some complications and spread sheets & this knee and hobbling, I’ve really been slowed down.  At least I was able to find a way to prep 4 boxes to give away and hopefully will have 3 more done today?  🤞

The cherry tomatoes are ripening and edible ornamental chiles are fruiting.  Normally that would bring me joy having planted them by seed - but I planted them for Jose as he loved them to take to in the Nursing Home so there is little joy in the plants bearing fruit 😢 

Today I hobbled into Costco with my cane & bought a bunch of stuff for the Celebration of Life.  Took far too long by the time I got down the aisles and then two stepped downstairs to get everything put away.  Now, I HAVE to get the deadheading done.

I’ll be celebrating Rainbow Bridge Remembrance day honouring and remembering with love and fondness all my sweet fur babies there - my sweet cats from years gone by and my most recent fur dog fur babies of the last 22 years - Maverick, Kazu, Fox, Marley & Miko.

31 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

I boarded the Voyager OTS at noon.

Have a fabulous cruise!  Bon Voyage !

42 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

How wonderful!  Looks like a great time was had by all!  Wonderful pic 🙂 

5 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

We are having an early breakfast and then getting our belongings together to head out of town to Jacksonville.  Will return tomorrow.  Will be having a consultation with the hand surgeon at 11 am tomorrow.

Safe travels and good luck with your consultation 🤞 

Glad your situation has resolved and you were wise to leave some things unsaid.

4 hours ago, Cat in my lap said:

I am having joint pain which I never had before.  When I first get up in the morning and later on getting out of a chair there is pain and stiffness, but then I can move normally without pain.  So I don’t know what to do?  Is this just normal aging?  

Sorry to hear that.  I think sadly, that’s a sign of aging but do check with your family physician.

4 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I hope Jacqui's @kazu's knee is better and wrist is healed up.  Speaking of knees, for once I didn't have bad pain overnight in my knee.  Maybe my three days of exercise have helped it.

Thanks - the wrist is pretty much all better - just a teeny tiny sore spot.  The knee has a looooong ways to go.

Glad to hear that you had no knee pain last night 👍 May this be the first of many such nights 🤞 

4 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Our boarding time is 12:30, and we got all the paperwork and boarding passes printed last night.

I noticed that we were supposed to do something through VeriFly, but if we get to the port, and all we have is our passports and vaccine history card, will we be OK?

Have a wonderful time!  Safe travels to you both.

I THINK you are ok without Verifly - I think it just speeds up some of the boarding process from what I have read on CC.

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Sunday everyone!!!  Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 9

A bit more on Baie-Comeau:

I'm just back from morning services where looking at our church's beautiful stained glass jolted a memory. So, I took a second look at my 2010 pictures of Baie-Comeau to see what I had missed.These are of Sainte-Amélie Catholic Church.

100_1957.thumb.JPG.b0fc179e8d8110ca8ed3e5d4f4e6e7e1.JPG

100_1958.thumb.JPG.738c323dec4d90c09a5672bbf6a9020d.JPG

I had to look up its history. This is from tourismebaiecomeau.com (which has additional and better pictures).

The Sainte-Amélie Catholic Church was built in the beginnings of the city between 1937 and 1939 by the architect Gaston Gagnier.

Col. Robert R. McCormick, founder of Baie-Comeau, offered the community all the services it needed, including a Catholic place of worship. During its construction, his spouse Amy died. The community, moved by his loss, suggested that the church be named Amélie in her memory.  

To express his gratitude, Col. McCormick decided to donate a stained glass window “so large and beautiful that it will be worth leaving Montreal just to come and see it in Baie-Comeau.”  In the 1940s, Montreal was extremely far from Baie-Comeau! The only way to get there was by small plane or boat.  

Since then, his goal has been more than achieved, because people come to visit not only from Montreal but also from all over the world to admire this artistic cathedral! 

The following picture, taken as the Maasdam docked, gives you a sense of  Baie-Comeau. The church in the background is not Sainte-Amélie.

100_1952.thumb.JPG.c69227806a2b3bf4bf2720e9aaf4cbc7.JPG

-Melisa

• Like 26
  • Thanks 4

Good morning, all. Wouldn’t it be wonderful to have just one day to visit our fur babies across the Rainbow Bridge? Looking back, I realize my life does not earn me that VIP entrance to heaven. 
We’ve been getting the Salt Spring house ready to leave for our upcoming voyage, and ready to welcome its caretaker for winter. Tuesday we’re off to the mainland to finish out checklists there. 
Something hit my tummy yesterday, and last night was awful. I suspect the turmeric extract supplement I just started. It really does help the arthritis - but my system is not tolerating it at all. I’m completely wiped out today, but the to do list is no shorter and the time left is no longer. Oh well.

Happy Sunday, everyone. I would so much rather be relaxing on a BHB than sorting what to put in the crawl space!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon where we're already in the low 90sF.  This morning our thought was to go for a walk in the mall where it is cool.  Instead, after getting a drive thru breakfast, we stopped at Walmart and Sam's since we were in Waco.  We got away in a hurry this morning, that naturally I forgot my list.  I remebered half the list and found all but one thing.  The rest I can get on the next W-M trip.

The rest of the afternoon will be spent relaxing, watching Nascar, and reading.  Dinner will be fajitas and easy to fix.

4 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Good Morning All,

It’s really beginning to feel like fall here. We actually needed a light blanket in the early morning hours, and it’s dark now in the morning.

We have several pooches who have crossed the rainbow bridge to remember today. Each was special, including my second wire hair fox terrier who was aggressive and grouchy.

Will be working in the booth this morning at church. We had a last minute vacancy that needed filling.

@dfish Oh my, I want a bowl of that for lunch.

Bon voyage to @cat shepard, and may you have a safe trip and peaceful flights, so you don’t come back comparing your trip to this:

548B2411-BBE0-494B-ACE7-06D9E3A60EA0.png.0b185e5012eaaedab2d3edc59d3fad8e.png

As is fitting, we have a red wine to celebrate Red Wine Day. Today’s selection is a Tannat-Cabernet Franc red blend hailing from southwest France. 

Château Peyros 2017 Vieilles Vignes (Madiran) South West France

Wine Enthusiast chooses this wine as it’s #81 Top 100 Selections 2021 and rates it at 93 points. I’m finding it for $23 a bottle

This rich, wood-aged wine comes from 40- to 50-year-old vines on an estate at the southern limit of the Madiran appellation. It brings together dense tannins and old-vine concentration. The acidity, black-plum flavors and tannins will keep this wine developing for many years. Drink from 2023. ROGER VOSS

From baronfrancois.com

“TASTING NOTES

Red cherry robe, intense and brilliant. The nose is now well opened with intense notes of fruits (cherry, rasperry, black-currant) with notes of vanilla and lightly toasted. The mouth is both powerful and elegant. Tannins are present and well coated. On the palate, fruit aromas are really dominating with a long finish.

GOURMET INSTANT

Will pair nicely with roasted meat, (lamb, beef), saucy meat, spicy beef tartar, duck breast.”

Have a great day everyone!

Thanks for the review of the wine.  It sounds like one I want to try.

3 hours ago, cunnorl said:

Good Morning from a very cloudy day at the beach.

I am a big Jane Austin fan, so I do like that quote from Darcy`s proposal to Elizabeth.

Never been to todays port.

Lots of excitement here in preparation for the big launch tomorrow. We have been advised to stay home and off the roads because they are expecting gridlock. Went out early this AM to get some groceries. There will also be 5 ships at Port Canaveral tomorrow . I feel bad for anyone that is heading to a cruise and did not know about this launch. It will be quite exciting. All the news networks are expected and National Geographic is here doing a documentary. 

@cat shepard Hope you have a wonderful trip.

Stay safe and enjoy today.

Charlene

Charlene, I hope you have a good view of the launch without having to fight the crowds.

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

I'm glad you had such a good daymfor,the family picnic.  A great picture of the extended family.

2 hours ago, kochleffel said:

Good news there are no problems from the demtal visit.  BON VOYAGE!

2 hours ago, kazu said:

Thanks for our Sunday Daily, Rich.

Very late to the party today and never got back yesterday, sorry. Between two very busy roll calls, some complications and spread sheets & this knee and hobbling, I’ve really been slowed down.  At least I was able to find a way to prep 4 boxes to give away and hopefully will have 3 more done today?  🤞

The cherry tomatoes are ripening and edible ornamental chiles are fruiting.  Normally that would bring me joy having planted them by seed - but I planted them for Jose as he loved them to take to in the Nursing Home so there is little joy in the plants bearing fruit 😢 

Today I hobbled into Costco with my cane & bought a bunch of stuff for the Celebration of Life.  Took far too long by the time I got down the aisles and then two stepped downstairs to get everything put away.  Now, I HAVE to get the deadheading done.

I’ll be celebrating Rainbow Bridge Remembrance day honouring and remembering with love and fondness all my sweet fur babies there - my sweet cats from years gone by and my most recent fur dog fur babies of the last 22 years - Maverick, Kazu, Fox, Marley & Miko.

Have a fabulous cruise!  Bon Voyage !

How wonderful!  Looks like a great time was had by all!  Wonderful pic 🙂 

Safe travels and good luck with your consultation 🤞 

Glad your situation has resolved and you were wise to leave some things unsaid.

Sorry to hear that.  I think sadly, that’s a sign of aging but do check with your family physician.

Thanks - the wrist is pretty much all better - just a teeny tiny sore spot.  The knee has a looooong ways to go.

Glad to hear that you had no knee pain last night 👍 May this be the first of many such nights 🤞 

Have a wonderful time!  Safe travels to you both.

I THINK you are ok without Verifly - I think it just speeds up some of the boarding process from what I have read on CC.

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Sunday everyone!!!  Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

Jacqui, while I'm happy your wrist is better, I'm sorry your knee is still bothering you so much.

1 hour ago, HAL Sailer said:

A bit more on Baie-Comeau:

I'm just back from morning services where looking at our church's beautiful stained glass jolted a memory. So, I took a second look at my 2010 pictures of Baie-Comeau to see what I had missed.These are of Sainte-Amélie Catholic Church.

100_1957.thumb.JPG.b0fc179e8d8110ca8ed3e5d4f4e6e7e1.JPG

100_1958.thumb.JPG.738c323dec4d90c09a5672bbf6a9020d.JPG

I had to look up its history. This is from tourismebaiecomeau.com (which has additional and better pictures).

The Sainte-Amélie Catholic Church was built in the beginnings of the city between 1937 and 1939 by the architect Gaston Gagnier.

Col. Robert R. McCormick, founder of Baie-Comeau, offered the community all the services it needed, including a Catholic place of worship. During its construction, his spouse Amy died. The community, moved by his loss, suggested that the church be named Amélie in her memory.  

To express his gratitude, Col. McCormick decided to donate a stained glass window “so large and beautiful that it will be worth leaving Montreal just to come and see it in Baie-Comeau.”  In the 1940s, Montreal was extremely far from Baie-Comeau! The only way to get there was by small plane or boat.  

Since then, his goal has been more than achieved, because people come to visit not only from Montreal but also from all over the world to admire this artistic cathedral! 

The following picture, taken as the Maasdam docked, gives you a sense of  Baie-Comeau. The church in the background is not Sainte-Amélie.

100_1952.thumb.JPG.c69227806a2b3bf4bf2720e9aaf4cbc7.JPG

-Melisa

Melisa, thank you for the pictures of the stained glass windows.

20 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Good morning, all. Wouldn’t it be wonderful to have just one day to visit our fur babies across the Rainbow Bridge? Looking back, I realize my life does not earn me that VIP entrance to heaven. 
We’ve been getting the Salt Spring house ready to leave for our upcoming voyage, and ready to welcome its caretaker for winter. Tuesday we’re off to the mainland to finish out checklists there. 
Something hit my tummy yesterday, and last night was awful. I suspect the turmeric extract supplement I just started. It really does help the arthritis - but my system is not tolerating it at all. I’m completely wiped out today, but the to do list is no shorter and the time left is no longer. Oh well.

Happy Sunday, everyone. I would so much rather be relaxing on a BHB than sorting what to put in the crawl space!

Laura, I hope your tummy feels better soon.  Good luck on the sorting and storing.

Lenda

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I'll pass on racing my mouse around icons. I haven't had a pet, but know the sorrow others experienced when one crosses the rainbow bridge. I will celebrate red wine day, as that's 99% of the wine I drink. 

Great quote. I'm a big Jane Austen fan, and still re-read many of her books.

Maybe on the meal. I'll pass on the drink, and yes to the wine.

I have not been to Baie-Comeau, Quebec.

I'm late today. It's hot and sunny and almost 90F. I went out early to Sam's, thinking I'd beat the Labor Day rush. Wrong! It was pretty crowded. I had my mask on as usual. Then I got a call from the claims person with my insurance. An adjuster will be coming out to assess things (I told her they need a drone with my very tall house). Also someone will inspect the plaster and carpet inside to see if I need mold remediation (I don't think it was that bad, but it's a free service). Then laundry after I post this.

@rafinmd That was a very touching story you reported regarding the memorial.

@grapau27 I too  wondered if you pick the elderberries and did something with them? 

@cat shepard Have a wonderful cruise!

@Cruzin Terri Safe travels and I hope the hand surgeon visit is helpful. Good to hear your situation is resolved.

@Cat in my lap I can relate on the joint pain. If it persists, see your doctor to get checked out.

@StLouisCruisers Good news that your leg is feeling better.

@smitty34877 Tana being stable for a while sounds good. How are you and the remainder of the family doing? 

@TiogaCruiser Good job on today's wine!

@Cruising-along What a nice family photo.

@kochleffel Enjoy the cruise.

@kazu Sorry the knee is still impeding your doing things. 

@HAL Sailer Thanks for the photos of Baie-Comeau.

@Horizon chaser 1957 Sorry to hear of the stomach issues; I can relate! I hope you feel better soon.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 7

1 hour ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Sorry to hear you had an upset stomach Laura.

I had looked at Tumeric for my arthritis but decided against it because of what it interacts with etc.

Screenshot_20220828_203755.jpg

Screenshot_20220828_203819.jpg

Screenshot_20220828_203846.jpg

Screenshot_20220828_203918.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 8

4 hours ago, kochleffel said:

I hope you don't have any issues enjoying food with the missing tooth.  I vastly prefer both the Radiance and Vision classes over the Voyager class.

Roy

• Like 10