The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday September 11th, 2022

richwmn

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily! This is what I wrote on my FB post today:
It began like any other day.

We couldn't begin to imagine the carnage to come.

We will never forget.

9 - 11 - 2001

I was in the shower with the radio on when I heard that a plane had hit the World Trade Centre.  I jumped out and alerted DH who turned on the television in our bedroom.  We sat in stunned silence, watching and I physically shuddered as the second plane made contact.  All the computers and televisions at work were on various news channels throughout the day, and very little was accomplished, other than watching and listening to the unfolding horror.

I understood today's quote to mean that we shouldn't elevate one's status to god-like, but remember they're a person just like the rest of us.  Bless the emergency responders for all they do when people are at their most vulnerable.  Libraries are great places, and one of the few where people can go and enjoy silence.  Yay for Grandparent's Day - on Wednesday we'll make the 400 mile trek to Calgary to spend a few days spoiling our grandsons.  Can't wait to get my arms around those two sweet guys; although we appreciate technology that gives us video calls, it just isn't the same.

@smitty34877thank you for the photo of "our" darling Camilla - she's getting prettier by the day!!!

@marshhawksafe travels today - go and relax, you certainly deserve to!

@kazuI kept checking the weather for your town throughout the day, hoping it would be comfortable for your celebration of Jose's life.

I'd love to try today's menu suggestion as a dessert, especially the peach recipe, but I think I'll tuck it away for another time.  Today we're invited over to DH's daughter's house for one last wiener roast before they take down their fire pit.  They've decided it isn't used enough, and the space can be used for a succulent garden, so we'll enjoy hot dogs around the fire pit along with potato salad that I'll bring along.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is hurting, cheers for the celebrations.  Stay safe, everyone!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 30

Good morning from a clear, windy central Texas.  September 11, 2001, is a day we should not forget.  We should add our own @cruising singleand her late DH to the list of those we honor for their work at the site in the aftermath of 9/11.  They both did and are dealing with the consequences of their time helping others.

First responders, who risk their lives for us, deserve to be honored everyday, along with libraries who help us remember.  I also honor the three grandparents who I knew growing up.  They were always there for me when I needed them.

I also was puzzled by today's quote.

The "meal" looks good and refreshing.  We'll pass on the drink, but the wine sounds nice.

@Vict0riann  Fingers crossed 🤞 the ferry runs today and BON VOYAGE!  I know you will have a wonderful cruise.

@lindaler  Linda, wishing you a safe and worry free flight and a wonderful time on the Westerdam.  BON VOYAGE!

@marshhawk  Annie, safe travels today to you and Chuck.  BON VOYAGE! tomorrow for the start of a great cruise.  Thanks for sharing your 9/11 story.

@dfish  Debbie, I can't imagine how hard it was to answer the student's questions when you had no answers.  Good luck with the cleaning and leak repair.

This is what I shared on October 7, 2001, about our two visits to Brest.

The Prinsendam took us to Brest in 2011 and 2017.  The first time was on a Sunday, and almost everything was closed.  After looking at the town center until the shuttle returned, we stopped at the waterfront and then took the shuttle to an old fort that is now a maritime museum.  In 2017, once in town, we road the tram to both ends, and took the gondola across the Penfeld River and back.

Pictures of Brest

DSC00681.thumb.JPG.6313119df67811cb28fd9578fa83bc0c.JPG

P1020247.thumb.JPG.faacc674851ca96f7f452b78dc51fd96.JPG

P1020249.thumb.JPG.0811db4365cac6fe14cd490195b23fb8.JPG

P1020251.thumb.JPG.cfdbb6c27e593fa4aca55c1221ed83b4.JPG

The waterfront area.  The restaurant caught our eye because of the name, but we did not go in.

P1020253.thumb.JPG.ced3f2c35bb268b89edd521bc67eb3f8.JPG

P1020252.thumb.JPG.e40502c469b1a568243f806b6756dbb8.JPG

The maritime museum

P1020260.thumb.JPG.c17d9df29f17b8fd7d2901dec4a16035.JPG

P1020262.thumb.JPG.e24a0ad093fea314987c6b6116b94645.JPG

P1020264.thumb.JPG.ec328eaef2c46866e9b19fb5baf99280.JPG

P1020267.thumb.JPG.30c034da283e75d4d4fbf0943ce99ea4.JPG

Views from the museum

P1020275.thumb.JPG.ce487a0a94a970730e0b3081110ac9ee.JPG

DSC00659.thumb.JPG.b2a3911dd462ac606d7dd1486e81d750.JPG

The gondola and views from the ride

DSC00661.thumb.JPG.d331585f6891ca54fa58b154e8d0f135.JPG

DSC00678.thumb.JPG.2bb3a96597aecaf79415d303f77d9322.JPG

DSC00662.thumb.JPG.d4a31fd837c513414ae1c2ed239e2e78.JPG

The Pont de Recouvrance from the gondola

DSC00664.thumb.JPG.3ccd30ef07eea81eac6e46092cc18f03.JPG

Lenda

• Like 29
  • Thanks 4

Good morning everyone.Being a grandma to five wonderful boys is fantastic.

How could I ever forget 9/11? We lived 30 minutes outside of NYC. Sam was in NYC when the towers were hit. He took one of the last taxis out and I picked him up in Riverdale. My younger daughter worked right there but went to vote at a primary that day and thankfully never made it to the city. Her husband worked on Wall Street and walked up to his grandmothers apartment at west 72 street. My brother worked across the street. My older daughter’s brother in law was in the US to get some respite from tensions in Israel where he lived. He saw the people jumping out of the windows and was forever traumatized. My niece was trapped in a smoked filled subway station and thought she was going to die.I was at home that morning and watched on tv after the first plane hit. NYC and the people living there changed that day. There was a new feeling of closeness and kindness that permeated the city afterwards.

How can we ever thank the first responders and the people that came from all over to help ? 
We will never forget.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 22
  • Thanks 8

I haven't visited Brest, but I remember these lines by the French poet Jacques Prévert.

Rappelle-toi Barbara
Il pleuvait sans cesse sur Brest ce jour-là

On 9/11/2001, I was living in Los Angeles and was wakened by a phone call from a friend in Connecticut. I wasn't quick enough to pick up the call, and heard the news on the radio before I retrieved the message.

This will be a tedious day. I teach online at 10:30, then have an online meeting at 3:00 and another at 6:30. I'm the host for the 3:00 meeting but don't really have to participate.

coffee-tea.thumb.jpg.050649800da4b38d5ca2a3872d06ffb1.jpg

• Like 20
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, richwmn said:

Today is National Emergency Responders Day,

It has been a long 25 hours so far for our local first responders. The Bolt Creek Fire was first reported about 5:00 AM yesterday (Pacific Time). Our local fire department has only three paid employees, and one of them was already on a fire in Oregon. Volunteers came out in force from up and down the Sky Valley and have been continuously combining efforts with other agencies to fight this fast-moving growing monster. Initially, resources were deployed to get hikers out of the back country. As the fire moved it became evident that evacuation of a few small pockets of houses would be necessary. Resources were deployed to do door-to-door notices and for some structural protection. Some areas jumped straight to a level 3 evacuation notice without any time for the first two levels. 

A few of us did watch-shifts last night in Skykomish to allow for others to sleep. It is getting light now and Skykomish proper has been spared. I got my meds out of my go-bag this morning and we are expecting a more typical Sunday (although power in the area is out for at least a couple more days). Church service at 10, potluck at 11, community care all day.

The fire has moved down valley because of the east winds. Grotto, much of Baring, Index and some other areas have had to evacuate. Level 1 and 2 evacuation notices have gone out as far west as Gold Bar, 20 miles from where the fire began. The fire moved slower overnight as the winds died down a little and the temperatures cooled. Humidity doubled overnight but is way below normal for this area. 

Edited by HAL4NOW
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 18

Dear fellow Daily-ites. A sad and somber day. 

I have been watching news of 9-11 as are most of you. We were in Yellowstone with friends Allen flew helicopters with in Vietnam. We were numb with heartache and grief. 

I pray for @kazu our dear Jacqui during Jose's celebration of life this weekend. 

We have been to Brest but not on a ship. One of our favorite memories of all our travels was the southern area of France. I was sick when I went to dig up our pictures of the vineyards and realized they were lost. My fault.

Roy thank you for taking the time to write out those we lost on 9-11. I read each name and I pray for all the families who lost loved ones on that dreadful day.

Thanks Rich for keeping the faithful Fleet and Daily, and our food and beverage girls as well.

Today is take it easy day. Watching the Sept. 11th tributes, and of course the Dear Queens travel to Scotland today.

Blessings, Cheers and Prayers. Xx

image.png.04b07ad7a9c217d19b61c18b7cf934d5.png

image.png.596783af0e0e853f1a11a5a947cadd0b.png

• Like 21
  • Haha 2

I was in the library with one of my classes doing research on 9/11.  The librarian came up to me and whispered that we had been attacked.  My school principal immediately shut down all internet and staff was told to not turn on any tvs in classrooms.  Our district was close enough to NYC that students could feasibly have had relatives working in the towers.  At the end of the day we had a statement to read to students before they returned home.

Thinking to today, with many students having their own phones, we could never keep news like that a secret all day.  

Prayers for all families affected by that horrible day.  Katherine 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 11

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  I certainly remember the events on 9/11.  Last year we visited the memorial at Shanksville.  It is a well done memorial and very moving.  We would like to visit it again and take the grandkids.

Today’s meal suggestion sounds like a nice treat.  I spent some time working in the yard this morning.  I didn’t have the energy to do a lot so it will wait for another weekend.  I hope everyone has a nice Sunday.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from a clear, windy central Texas.  September 11, 2001, is a day we should not forget.  We should add our own @cruising singleand her late DH to the list of those we honor for their work at the site in the aftermath of 9/11.  They both did and are dealing with the consequences of their time helping others.

First responders, who risk their lives for us, deserve to be honored everyday, along with libraries who help us remember.  I also honor the three grandparents who I knew growing up.  They were always there for me when I needed them.

I also was puzzled by today's quote.

The "meal" looks good and refreshing.  We'll pass on the drink, but the wine sounds nice.

@Vict0riann  Fingers crossed 🤞 the ferry runs today and BON VOYAGE!  I know you will have a wonderful cruise.

@lindaler  Linda, wishing you a safe and worry free flight and a wonderful time on the Westerdam.  BON VOYAGE!

@marshhawk  Annie, safe travels today to you and Chuck.  BON VOYAGE! tomorrow for the start of a great cruise.  Thanks for sharing your 9/11 story.

@dfish  Debbie, I can't imagine how hard it was to answer the student's questions when you had no answers.  Good luck with the cleaning and leak repair.

This is what I shared on October 7, 2001, about our two visits to Brest.

The Prinsendam took us to Brest in 2011 and 2017.  The first time was on a Sunday, and almost everything was closed.  After looking at the town center until the shuttle returned, we stopped at the waterfront and then took the shuttle to an old fort that is now a maritime museum.  In 2017, once in town, we road the tram to both ends, and took the gondola across the Penfeld River and back.

Pictures of Brest

DSC00681.thumb.JPG.6313119df67811cb28fd9578fa83bc0c.JPG

P1020247.thumb.JPG.faacc674851ca96f7f452b78dc51fd96.JPG

P1020249.thumb.JPG.0811db4365cac6fe14cd490195b23fb8.JPG

P1020251.thumb.JPG.cfdbb6c27e593fa4aca55c1221ed83b4.JPG

The waterfront area.  The restaurant caught our eye because of the name, but we did not go in.

P1020253.thumb.JPG.ced3f2c35bb268b89edd521bc67eb3f8.JPG

P1020252.thumb.JPG.e40502c469b1a568243f806b6756dbb8.JPG

The maritime museum

P1020260.thumb.JPG.c17d9df29f17b8fd7d2901dec4a16035.JPG

P1020262.thumb.JPG.e24a0ad093fea314987c6b6116b94645.JPG

P1020264.thumb.JPG.ec328eaef2c46866e9b19fb5baf99280.JPG

P1020267.thumb.JPG.30c034da283e75d4d4fbf0943ce99ea4.JPG

Views from the museum

P1020275.thumb.JPG.ce487a0a94a970730e0b3081110ac9ee.JPG

DSC00659.thumb.JPG.b2a3911dd462ac606d7dd1486e81d750.JPG

The gondola and views from the ride

DSC00661.thumb.JPG.d331585f6891ca54fa58b154e8d0f135.JPG

DSC00678.thumb.JPG.2bb3a96597aecaf79415d303f77d9322.JPG

DSC00662.thumb.JPG.d4a31fd837c513414ae1c2ed239e2e78.JPG

The Pont de Recouvrance from the gondola

DSC00664.thumb.JPG.3ccd30ef07eea81eac6e46092cc18f03.JPG

Lenda

My Wife went  to  Brest on a cruise and it  was a Sunday and everything  was closed really   saw  nothing that  day.  We really hate hate docking

in  ports  on Sundays.   Love your  photos.  

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Just now, irishjim said:

My Wife went and I  went     to  Brest on a cruise and it  was a Sunday and everything  was closed really   saw  nothing that  day.  We really hate hate docking

in  ports  on Sundays.   Love your  photos.  

I am a “woke” (alert to injustice in society, especially racism) teacher who just returned from a 9/11 Remembrance Ceremony.

In Honor of Remembrance of 9/11, National Emergency Responders Day and Grandparents Day, I suggest you take some time to share your personal reflections on 9/11 with a person under the age of 30.  We say “never forget”; they have never experience it.  They have no personal connection, the stories that they hear from their family and friends are the stories that they will remember.

I remember the day vividly.  I was teaching high school in MD; many students had parents who worked in Washington or for the government.  We were not allowed to turn on the TVs in our classroom.  My students and I were confused and scared.  When discussing the day with my current students, I can’t help but become emotional.  I try to explain my experience that day; they have many questions: “What was it like for you? How did you feel after 9/11? When did you feel safe again?"

Students have many misconceptions; I remind students that it's not Muslims; it's not people from a certain country; that it's al-Qaida, it's a terrorist organization at the root of 9/11.

I believe in freedom, I believe in liberty, I believe 9/11 can teach students about something important: the resiliency of the American spirit.

Edited by 0106
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 3

Good Morning All,

Gotta run- due at church in less than an hour.

Today’s wine:

Chateau Smith Cabernet Sauvignon, Washington

Today we have a rather elusive Cabernet. I found it at Total Wine for $21.99

Chateau Smith Cabernet Sauvignon, Washington

Today we have a rather elusive Cabernet. I found it at Total Wine for $21.99

Chateau Smith Cabernet Sauvignon Red Wine stays true to old-world winemaking techniques with award-winning taste. Opening with vibrant aromas of black fruits, such as currant and dark plum, along with pencil lead and forest floor, this red blend is full on the palate with fine tannins that lend support. Crafted with premium wine grapes from the Washington State region, this wine is ready to drink without delay. Charles Smith uses sustainable wine practices and winemaking techniques that bring out the unique characteristics of the Washington State appellation. The star of this red wine blend is cabernet sauvignon, which gives each sip intense flavor, depth, and complexity, with petit verdot and cabernet franc playing delectable supporting roles. These focused, savory notes make this wine the perfect tableside companion for rich dishes like beef bourguignon or lamb chops with balsamic reduction, but it's equally as wonderful for enjoying a glass of wine on its own. Please enjoy our wines responsibly. © 2022 Charles Smith Wines, Prosser, WA

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 4

Thanks everyone for the good wishes.  Jose’s Celebratio of Life went very well.  My sister and brother in law came back this morning to give me a bit of a hand, help me spread some of his ashes and say good bye.

I’m tired and sad today.  Hopefully I’ll be in better spirits tomorrow and if you like, will share some pics.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 27

Just now, kazu said:

Thanks everyone for the good wishes.  Jose’s Celebratio of Life went very well.  My sister and brother in law came back this morning to give me a bit of a hand, help me spread some of his ashes and say good bye.

I’m tired and sad today.  Hopefully I’ll be in better spirits and if you like, will share some pics.

Thank you.  I wish you healing.

Roy

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Good morning all from a very smoky PNW.  The ash is literally falling from the sky and it smells like an ashtray. 😞  In some small way it reminds me of when Mt. St. Helens blew in 1980 and we had (a lot more) ash.

On 9-11 2001 our son called us early that morning and asked if we'd been watching the news.  It was early here, and we hadn't turned on the TV.  He waited as I turned it on...horrific, surreal and sad ... I will never forget.  His wedding was 6 weeks later and we flew to IL for the wedding.  People asked if we were nervous to fly, but it really was one of the safest times to fly. 

I'm sure we'll hear from the grandsons today, DD is always good about that.  Youngest grandson and I had a fun day yesterday making his GAK, playing hide and seek, and eating popcorn and cookies 😉  I realized last night after he left that I pulled something in my leg, most likely when trying to fit into small spaces when we played hide and seek.  When will I learn that I'm not 30 anymore???  It's better this morning thankfully.

I'll pass on the drink, no pumpkin spice for me unless it's pumpkin pie and only pumpkin pie.  The "meal" sounds delicious, but it would take quite a few to make a meal 🤣  Will pass on the red wine and have never been to Brest.  Thank you Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiserfor the photos!

Terry @smitty34877thank you for the new photo of "our" Camilla -- she's as adorable as ever.

Ann @Vict0riannsafe trip and Bon Voyage!

Jacqui @kazuI'm glad that Jose's Celebration of Life went well yesterday.  When and if you care to, I would like to see any photos you'd care to share.  

Annie @marshhawksafe travels!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

I was in my classroom when the planes hit the twin towers.  Another teacher, who knew my DH was in New York, came in and asked if he was in the towers.  I just stared at her.  Then she went on, and Debbie you will appreciate this, that they would be coming after the Ravenna arsenal.  Like Debbie, we had parents come and take their children home.  Very sad day.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 9