The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday September 18th, 2022

richwmn

1 hour ago, RedneckBob said:

Thanks for the Fleet Update and other general info. Great day; National Cheeseburger Day and Wife Appreciation Day!  To celebrate I will be taking the Misses out to dinner to McDonalds for a big cheeseburger! 😀

Bob, I recommend the quarter pounder with cheese and also treat her to a hot apple pie, so she knows how much you think of her.

• Like 4
  • Haha 14

40 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

@Crazy For Cats, so what time is 2nd breakfast? Mine say 1st is 4:00 and 2nd is 6:00🐾

Mona wants first breakfast at 3am, that doesn’t happen so they settle for 5am.  Second breakfast is requested when I’m having mine at 6:30.  Dinner used to be 5pm, got moved to 1 ish with a second dinner around 6.  Second dinner doesn’t happen that often.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Good morning  to all. I am very fortunate  as I always feel appreciated  by DH. I met by best friend  48 years ago.I certainly appreciate her.The recipes today look great but I think we will stick to burgers on the grill and potato  salad.The weather will be good for that here.

We were at the port several years ago and I took a ship sponsored  tour to Portofino.DH was under the weather so I went alone.We hiked to an  elevated overlook which would have been too difficult  for DH.What a gorgeous  place!

Thanks @StLouisCruisers, Sandi for your beautiful  pictures.

Have a great day everyone!

Terry

Edited by smitty34877
  • Like 22

Good morning from sunny, warm and breezy central Texas.  There is not much on the agenda today, so it may be another lazy day like yesterday.

We watched the Texas Longhorns game last night.  After losing by one point to #1 Alabama last week, the Longhorns moved up to #21.  At the beginning of the game last night, it looked like UT San Antonio might win, but UT out played them in the second half, and the Horns beat the Roadrunners 42-20. 🤘

Some good news this morning, we received an email from the people who will replace the screws in our metal roof.  They have a change in their schedule, and wanted to know if first thing tomorrow was all right to do the job.  When I emailed them back, I ask just what time "first thing" tomorrow was.  It turns out, their idea of first thing in the morning is earlier than ours, and they'll be here at 7:15 am.  I can be up by then, but I'm not sure about DH.  Hopefully, replacing the screws will solve our leak problem.

As far as national cheeseburger day, we celebrated a couple of days early since cheeseburgers were our dinner Friday night.  I value my women friends and hope I'm appreciated as a wife.

The Oscar Wilde quote is interesting, but I'm not sure I completely agree with it.  

Stuffed shells are good, and I make them occasionally.  We'll pass on the drink and think about the wine.

We have been to Livorno many times, and all but the first time were on BHBs.  I'll repost my pictures in a few minutes.

@1ANGELCAT    I hope you will be able to enjoy your cruise, and not have to cancel.  However, you know what you can and cannot do, and I'm sure you will decide what is best for you.  And I hope the insurance issue with the doctor is solved soon.

@HAL Sailer  Melisa, I hope your DSIL gets the results of the full body scan soon.  In a way, I can understand her doctor recommending beginning chemo based on what was found during the surgery.  This will give them a head start on fighting the cancer, and hopefully slowing or stopping any further spread of cancer cells.  I feel so sad for your DH not being able to visit with his sister. 

@HAL4NOW  Have safe if longer drive to the coast today.  Thanks for the update on the fire and road closures.  You are right, I wouldn't want to be in the path of one of those falling trees.

@ottahand7  Loved the picture of the flowers and the butterfly.  It's interesting the different versions of the King Ranch Casserole recipe.

@cunnorl  It sounds like you have everything under control for you long cruise.  We like longer cruises and have everything arranged so we don't have to worry when we are away.  All our bills are either direct debited from the bank account or charged to a credit card which is debited from the bank account.  Since we travel a lot (or did pre-Covid), our mail is sent to a mail forwarding service which will hold the mail as long as needed.  Needless to say, after a very long trip, we get a big box of forwarded mail, mostly junk.  We no longer have houseplants to worry about, and our neighbor, who has a mowing service, looks after the yard.  

@rafinmd  Roy, sending best wishes to the search and rescue members going to Puerto Rico for their safety.

@Crazy For Cats  Jake, I think I know who the boss of your house is.  🤣 🐈

@cat shepard  Welcome home, Ann.  Can't wait to hear about your trip.

@lindaler  Linda, welcome home.  Enjoy your sister's visit to Mobile.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

@StLouisCruisersthank you for the photos of Liverno.  As a port city it is very pretty.  

@ottahand7the photos I posted are not unfortunately of Livorno.  They are of Cinque Terre.  I do have some photos of Livorno though if you would like to see them.  Here is the Town Hall.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJXqijw-OncD9R3uCWXiqcH?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503941499

The Livorno Cathedral00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKSjpf-wdQV1axO6pAUmzg0?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503941498

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIPIpZ2XAAiebqLZ-wPUV4w?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503941510

The cistern in Livorno00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKP4RoM-uSGu0iiNAoeW8Vm?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503941677

The moat around the Fortezza Nuova, a castle turned into a fortress.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLQN0iCyexpINliCVANOcuL?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503941723

You can't see the castle due to the high walls.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI4NvrgR4RJZDPm-THDa7cP?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503941702

And shopping.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKlscdv5sveveqsXwORS_ex?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503941740

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIer-qA7Nc1v_VXZgVyDius?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1503941726

There is Livorno for you!

35 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

@dfish That is what inspectors do- they find stuff. Sometimes they are a little ridiculous with their findings. All part of the process.  

Boy, that is a true statement about the inspectors!  When we sold our prior home in St. Louis, the inspector put on his report that he believed the huge 6' x 6' fixed pane window above our gas fireplace had a broken seal which he recommend be replaced!  We had to pay a Pella window expert to come out and look at it, and he said no it was fine.  There was a small amount of streaking on the outside bottom of the window due to rain and not being able to reach the window easily to clean.  It was located 3 stories above the ground so of course we couldn't reach it to clean often!  We answered the inspector's report and said we would not be replacing the window and attached the opinion of the Pella window expert.  Then we got up on ladders outside and scrubbed the tiny streak marks off the window.  Can you imagine the cost and effort that would have gone into replacing this window needlessly?  Use your common sense when you get your report!  Here's a photo showing the big 6' x 6' window when we had film put on the windows before moving in.  It's right below the half round one they were placing the film on.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKTHwTwOYG2CIjqtCK0EdiFVZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1663508837

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Boy, that is a true statement about the inspectors!  When we sold our prior home in St. Louis, the inspector put on his report that he believed the huge 6' x 6' fixed pane window above our gas fireplace had a broken seal which he recommend be replaced!  We had to pay a Pella window expert to come out and look at it, and he said no it was fine.  There was a small amount of streaking on the outside bottom of the window due to rain and not being able to reach the window easily to clean.  It was located 3 stories above the ground so of course we couldn't reach it to clean often!  We answered the inspector's report and said we would not be replacing the window and attached the opinion of the Pella window expert.  Then we got up on ladders outside and scrubbed the tiny streak marks off the window.  Can you imagine the cost and effort that would have gone into replacing this window needlessly?  Use your common sense when you get your report!  Here's a photo showing the big 6' x 6' window when we had film put on the windows before moving in.  It's right below the half round one they were placing the film on.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKTHwTwOYG2CIjqtCK0EdiFVZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1663508837

Yeah, a recommendation for a streaky window.   I do have four failed windows that are being replaced the day after inspection.   Dad said he was present for the inspection on the house he was selling and the inspector told him he was lacking smoke detectors.  He was standing right under one.

• Like 10
  • Haha 15

Thanks for our Sunday Daily, Rich.

Great collection of days - a cheeseburger sounds good if it stops raining & I will gladly celebrate my friendship with women.  Wives are priceless.

Not sure what to make of the today’s quote and don’t agree with it.  Today’s meal is a good one but I may opt for a cheeseburger instead.

We’ve been to Livorno a few times - so much to see in the area aside from Florence and, always an enjoyable, interesting day.

Well the appliance and electronic bug have bit.  My deep freeze didn’t have the light on so I unplugged, unloaded it and defrosted and cleaned it.  Put it back on and it seems to be working sort of but the light that tells me it is isn’t.  The warranty was expiring in May and fortunately when they offered the extended warranty in April, I took it.  Didn’t want the hassle of replacing if repair was too pricey with Jose in the hospital/nursing home (I had nor crystal ball 😔).  So, just a call to the company for service.

2442C648-8668-43EC-8699-E69DB406E549.jpeg.32979a6eb6f823803f6a28bc1fc3f110.jpeg

Went to replace the front door battery for the alarm system and there’s nothing there to put a battery in 😱 Hopefully they are out today to replace and not like this guy:

E702986D-A7CC-4987-9E94-A7BA427719C3.thumb.jpeg.2a79572cb1dd816c61faa97cb4fe1ccd.jpeg

Talk about a weird garden year - this vine has gone nuts but never flowered.

ED241FC1-565E-49B0-903B-3561A97A579C.thumb.jpeg.bd6a56b1b98f12d651307db5aa224667.jpeg

Finally last night I saw the first 2 flowers (You can see them at the top in the other pic)

D7BF5769-7416-4EEB-9B22-6766CEB2A72F.thumb.jpeg.78612a4e5cd4a698780f9edfebbec186.jpeg 

Dumb vine - don’t you know it’s mid September and you are going to be ripped out soon?

2 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

2 weeks from today I’m supposed to be boarding Nieuw Statendam. Still not sure I’m going, just not sure I can handle everything on my own with my hand. 

I hope you can go and make it work 🤞 

2 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

I spoke to the Dr office on Thursday and supposedly Medicare will cover it but they want me to sign papers for payment if they don’t. Of course they don’t know the cost or if my other insurance will cover it, no response from them.

Ugh.  That ‘unknown’ is scary

1 hour ago, HAL Sailer said:

DSIL still doesn't have her Sept 13 full body and brain cancer scan results. She anticipated learning the results tomorrow but that appointment has been cancelled by her doctor because the surgical center doesn't have the chemo port she needs in stock. 

Oh dear Melissa - I hope the centre can get what she needs and she can gain some strength.  My prayers continue for her 🙏 

3 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Morning.  I made it home. It was an amazing adventure. Off to the gym and grocery shopping. Then I will pick up Bindi. 

Welcome home 🙂. Can’t wait to hear about it 👍 

2 hours ago, dfish said:

Dan, the handyman, came over and put in the new bathroom fan.  We hung the new smoke detector/radon detector on the wall outside the bedroom doors.  I tested it and I doubt many could sleep through that.  Then, I made Dan do an inspection of the house with me and we found two minor things that we need to do, so I put them on the Dan list that hangs on the fridge.

Smart thinking Debbie 👍 The more you catch and do, the less for the inspector.  I wouldn’t fret too much on it - I’ve saw one miss a lot when we bought a house.  On this one, I nixed an inspector and instead brought in a contractor I trusted.

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.  Have a great Saturday everyone!

C247C5CA-CA85-4366-8443-2838AAA6A8FE.jpeg.c0043630780b4db07e0de1e4e95c27ef.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

This is what I posted on March 19, 2021, when Livorno was the port of the day.  I did not post pictures of Florence that day or today, since other's have posted their pictures of the city.

We've been to Livorno seven times and missed it once due to wind.  

In 2001, we took a tour to Florence and Pisa.  Walking into Pisa from the parking lot was one of those moments where it was better than expected, with the Baptistry, Church and Tower backed by a clear blue sky.  After that, we have done our own thing, renting cars most times.

In 2002, on the Noordam, the Leaning Tower had just opened to visitors,  With the suggestion from the port guide, Barbara H, we left the ship early.  In fact, we were the first ones off the ship, even before the ship was cleared.  The Security Officer told the gangway crew to let us leave since he knew us.  They were still getting everything set up for the day.   We found a taxi to take us to the train station, but he said he could get us to Pisa quicker, and on the way to the Leaning Tower, she showed us the train station in Pisa.  We were at the ticket office by 7:30 am and had tickets for the 8 am climb.  Your are allowed 35 minutes to go up and back.

Here are a couple of different views of Pisa.

IMG_0674.thumb.JPG.7002d264f56a08272b73af407d845c24.JPG

IMG_0678.thumb.JPG.060c115f93000d7fe63821bc643c88ac.JPG

This is one of the anchors cables attached to the tower in the latest attempt to straighten the tower.  IIRC, it did pull it back several degrees and concrete was poured under the foundation of the raised area.  In 2001, the tower was closed because of the anchors and the correction being made to the lean.  After 9/11 when the tourist levels fell, the tower was opened for tours to help bring the tourists in.

PICT0010.thumb.JPG.4d211a767ea08f5112874429bb9985ac.JPG

In 2016, on the Prinsendam, we rented a car and drove to Florence and then to Sienna.  This is what I call the $120 picture.  We were driving through the walled part of Sienna, not knowing we were not supposed to be there.  A year later, the day before we were leaving for another long Pdam cruise, we got a letter from Italy, that was a fine for driving in a no auto area.  The funny thing was, I got the ticket even though DG was driving, since my name was on the rental agreement.  This is the cathedral in Sienna.

DSC07457.thumb.JPG.430c4b268ace09fd4b7351be76700c49.JPG

In 2019, on the Veendam, we were in Livorno three times.  Since we had never really explored Livorno, we decided to stay in town that year and avoid the crowds in Florence.  

The first day, we took the Ho-Ho and visited the village of Santuario al Montenero, by funicular which was included in the Ho-Ho ticket.

DSC06875.thumb.JPG.96364a508944372433118a02e15b3e60.JPG

DSC06886.thumb.JPG.b5f0ae7568b61279b109331c0ff41adf.JPG

The next two stops there, we rode the local bus, stopping once at the beach.   At several areas of the beach you have to pay to get in, but we found a nice place where we could sit and get a coke.

DSC08143.thumb.JPG.29ad090cf7a0b6beec18c9c2ee88ec1c.JPG

Livorno is not a tourist town, but we still managed to enjoy the days there, since they were slow paced and we could take it easy.

DSC06869.thumb.JPG.4c4c55b0133083c07f4af71d40f9295e.JPGDSC08145.thumb.JPG.f4ae7d14ea6901e52051249c49bfd6a7.JPG

DSC07174.thumb.JPG.b09e26cbde60613f963cad983c7b832d.JPG

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 5

1 minute ago, dfish said:

Yeah, a recommendation for a streaky window.   I do have four failed windows that are being replaced the day after inspection.   Dad said he was present for the inspection on the house he was selling and the inspector told him he was lacking smoke detectors.  He was standing right under one.

Sheesh!  

You're lucky you can find windows to replace yours with the "supply chain" issues.  Seals failing on windows seems to be a common problem anymore.  I know we've replaced about 5 windows that failed in this house in the past 5 years or so.  I see many failed seals on windows here in the neighborhood when I drive by.  

The guardhouse that was damaged last Dec. 27 when the drunk driver drove through it is still not repaired completely.  It's going faster now but they waited 6 months or so for the windows they needed to replace.  It's a sad reminder of the poor guard who died when the car ran over him as he sat at the desk under the windows.  May he RIP.🙏  I will be glad when that building is completely restored and the entrance is opened up as it should be.  

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  A chill in the air this morning again with 58F and 100% humidity.  The weather forecast for the next 10 days is sunshine with highs in the 80's and low 90's with cool overnight temps.  Not too shabby!  Thanks to Graham @grapau27for posting Father David's sermon for us.  And another thanks to Rich @richwmnfor the Daily and Fleet Report.  Good for Volendam docked in Malaga today.  Everyone must be thrilled to be somewhere different.  Wonderful set of days to celebrate.  I'd love a cheeseburger for lunch or dinner today but chef DH has other plans I think.  Women's friendship day and wife appreciation are worthy causes for all our ladies.  The recipes and photos of stuffed shells looks soooo good Debbie @dfish.  I think you are very smart to get all the little repairs done now before the inspector shows up.  I agree with handyman Dan that inspectors try to find something/anything to put on the report to show they are worth their fee.  Welcome home Ann @cat shepardand Linda @lindaler.  We're waiting patiently to hear about your cruises!

Thanks to Roy @rafinmdfor our Care and Celebration lists.  Prayers said for all on the list, neighbor Linda, and those family and friends we've lost recently.  Also for the people of the British Commonwealth for the passing of the Queen.  The whole world will miss her as she was loved by many.  Cheers to those on the "happy" list!  We're glad you have nice things happening in your lives.  Another cheer to Ren whose new team the Jaguars (up a step in soccer due to aging out) won their first game last evening.  Ren scored two goals.  My DS had to leave after the first goal to catch a flight to Amsterdam, then connected to his flight to Milan where he is attending an engineering conference and moderating a workshop tomorrow.  Hopefully he won't forget to enjoy Milan while there.  

As for our port today, Livorno, Italy it was last posted here on March 19, 2021.  I found it on Rich's posting activity on page 65 and here is a link for those who need to retrieve photos from back then.  There are many of us who have stopped there on our Mediterranean cruises because it's a popular starting point for nearby cities like Florence and Pisa.

According to my records we've been to Livorno 6 times.  We've of course traveled from Livorno to Florence, Pisa, and Lucca.  But one trip we took the shuttle into Livorno to see what it offered.  Not much!  One and done! 

I recall we took a tour of Cinque Terre once from Livorno, on the 2018 Prinsendam Grand Africa and Med cruise.  There's plenty to see when you visit Livorno so I hope you can all get there someday if you haven't already.  

Our tour went to three coastal villages in Cinque Terre - Manarola, Vernazza, and Monterosso.  Part of our trip was to be by boat but seas were dangerous and we took a train from Manarola to Vernazza.  

Our route to the sea in Manarola.enhance

enhance

enhance

Getting on the train in Manarola.

enhance

Here in Vernazza we had a similar experience.  In fact, I can't tell this street from the last one in Manarola.  enhance

Eating outside in Vernazza.enhance

Why we didn't take the boat!enhance

enhance

On the train on our route to Monterosso.enhance

And our view upon arrival.enhance

It was a quite interesting town.  Their view of the sea was the best I think.  After a while we started looking for a spot to eat lunch.  enhance

enhance

And wine...00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLKYhOr54MdtI6Rjxods32j?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1526084228

Enjoy your next trip to Livorno!

Thank  for  posting these lovely photos.

Jim.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning All,

And we have another cloudy morning. I’m not complaining.😉 Not sure what is on the agenda for today.

@cat shepard Welcome back! Can’t wait to hear about your trip. I’m not sure if our agreement included today, but I’ll post my findings and hand the Wine Department back to you for tomorrow.

Today’s Wine:

Forstreiter 2019 Ried Kremser Kogl Gruner Veltline

I’m giving this one a pass.

About Forstreiter 2019 Gruner Veltliner, Ried Kremser Kogl:

The Forstreiter family, owners of Meinhard Forstreiter have been making wine since the late 1800s. With winemaking in their blood, they have brought their current property to an exceptional level of quality. The vineyard is situated in Krems-Hollenburg in the Kremstal, along the right bank of the Danube River, across from the Wachau, an ideal micro-climate for Gruner Veltliner. Grapes for this wine are sourced from a single vineyard located in Hollenburg, the southernmost district of Krems, with slopes facing the southeast. The soils are dominated by loess and supplemented by conglomerate and gravel. The warm Pannonian climate from the east meets the Continental influenced climate of the higher situated Waldviertel. This results in extreme temperature differences between day and night, which has intense positive effect on the formation of flavor.

Wine Enthusiast Magazine selected this as the #20 Top 100 Wine of 2021. They scored it 93 points, saying "Yeast and salty miso are the chief notions on the nose. The palate adds pepper and wonderfully vivid, slight spritz to the slender but concentrated body while lemon brightness highlights the purity."

-- ANNE KREBIEHL MW

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  A chill in the air this morning again with 58F and 100% humidity.  The weather forecast for the next 10 days is sunshine with highs in the 80's and low 90's with cool overnight temps.  Not too shabby!  Thanks to Graham @grapau27for posting Father David's sermon for us.  And another thanks to Rich @richwmnfor the Daily and Fleet Report.  Good for Volendam docked in Malaga today.  Everyone must be thrilled to be somewhere different.  Wonderful set of days to celebrate.  I'd love a cheeseburger for lunch or dinner today but chef DH has other plans I think.  Women's friendship day and wife appreciation are worthy causes for all our ladies.  The recipes and photos of stuffed shells looks soooo good Debbie @dfish.  I think you are very smart to get all the little repairs done now before the inspector shows up.  I agree with handyman Dan that inspectors try to find something/anything to put on the report to show they are worth their fee.  Welcome home Ann @cat shepardand Linda @lindaler.  We're waiting patiently to hear about your cruises!

Thanks to Roy @rafinmdfor our Care and Celebration lists.  Prayers said for all on the list, neighbor Linda, and those family and friends we've lost recently.  Also for the people of the British Commonwealth for the passing of the Queen.  The whole world will miss her as she was loved by many.  Cheers to those on the "happy" list!  We're glad you have nice things happening in your lives.  Another cheer to Ren whose new team the Jaguars (up a step in soccer due to aging out) won their first game last evening.  Ren scored two goals.  My DS had to leave after the first goal to catch a flight to Amsterdam, then connected to his flight to Milan where he is attending an engineering conference and moderating a workshop tomorrow.  Hopefully he won't forget to enjoy Milan while there.  

As for our port today, Livorno, Italy it was last posted here on March 19, 2021.  I found it on Rich's posting activity on page 65 and here is a link for those who need to retrieve photos from back then.  There are many of us who have stopped there on our Mediterranean cruises because it's a popular starting point for nearby cities like Florence and Pisa.

According to my records we've been to Livorno 6 times.  We've of course traveled from Livorno to Florence, Pisa, and Lucca.  But one trip we took the shuttle into Livorno to see what it offered.  Not much!  One and done! 

I recall we took a tour of Cinque Terre once from Livorno, on the 2018 Prinsendam Grand Africa and Med cruise.  There's plenty to see when you visit Livorno so I hope you can all get there someday if you haven't already.  

Our tour went to three coastal villages in Cinque Terre - Manarola, Vernazza, and Monterosso.  Part of our trip was to be by boat but seas were dangerous and we took a train from Manarola to Vernazza.  

Our route to the sea in Manarola.enhance

enhance

enhance

Getting on the train in Manarola.

enhance

Here in Vernazza we had a similar experience.  In fact, I can't tell this street from the last one in Manarola.  enhance

Eating outside in Vernazza.enhance

Why we didn't take the boat!enhance

enhance

On the train on our route to Monterosso.enhance

And our view upon arrival.enhance

It was a quite interesting town.  Their view of the sea was the best I think.  After a while we started looking for a spot to eat lunch.  enhance

enhance

And wine...00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLKYhOr54MdtI6Rjxods32j?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1526084228

Enjoy your next trip to Livorno!

Nice photos Sandi.

Graham.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I have been to Livorno, once, not happily -- I lost my wallet in Florence (not necessarily to a pickpocket; I could have dropped it or left it on the counter after making a purchase), and I thought that Pisa was boring. I happened to have my passport and an ATM card from a different bank with me, but later I had to call that bank from Mallorca because, although it let the first withdrawal through, it then locked the card. During the call I broke the frame of my glasses. If you ever need to buy Superglue in Spain, it's called Superglue.

I'd better go easy on wife appreciation since it would be someone else's wife.

Most stuffed shell recipes don't work for me, because one or another of the ingredients is something I don't eat, but here's a vegan recipe that would be OK:

https://nosweatvegan.com/vegan-stuffed-shells/. Grüner Veltiner is always OK with me. I don't really appreciate coconut.

The Junior Cat ate on her own this morning, after I took her to the food dish, and then she cuddled with me and purred for a while.

Edited by kochleffel
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

This is what I posted on March 19, 2021, when Livorno was the port of the day.  I did not post pictures of Florence that day or today, since other's have posted their pictures of the city.

We've been to Livorno seven times and missed it once due to wind.  

In 2001, we took a tour to Florence and Pisa.  Walking into Pisa from the parking lot was one of those moments where it was better than expected, with the Baptistry, Church and Tower backed by a clear blue sky.  After that, we have done our own thing, renting cars most times.

In 2002, on the Noordam, the Leaning Tower had just opened to visitors,  With the suggestion from the port guide, Barbara H, we left the ship early.  In fact, we were the first ones off the ship, even before the ship was cleared.  The Security Officer told the gangway crew to let us leave since he knew us.  They were still getting everything set up for the day.   We found a taxi to take us to the train station, but he said he could get us to Pisa quicker, and on the way to the Leaning Tower, she showed us the train station in Pisa.  We were at the ticket office by 7:30 am and had tickets for the 8 am climb.  Your are allowed 35 minutes to go up and back.

Here are a couple of different views of Pisa.

IMG_0674.thumb.JPG.7002d264f56a08272b73af407d845c24.JPG

IMG_0678.thumb.JPG.060c115f93000d7fe63821bc643c88ac.JPG

This is one of the anchors cables attached to the tower in the latest attempt to straighten the tower.  IIRC, it did pull it back several degrees and concrete was poured under the foundation of the raised area.  In 2001, the tower was closed because of the anchors and the correction being made to the lean.  After 9/11 when the tourist levels fell, the tower was opened for tours to help bring the tourists in.

PICT0010.thumb.JPG.4d211a767ea08f5112874429bb9985ac.JPG

In 2016, on the Prinsendam, we rented a car and drove to Florence and then to Sienna.  This is what I call the $120 picture.  We were driving through the walled part of Sienna, not knowing we were not supposed to be there.  A year later, the day before we were leaving for another long Pdam cruise, we got a letter from Italy, that was a fine for driving in a no auto area.  The funny thing was, I got the ticket even though DG was driving, since my name was on the rental agreement.  This is the cathedral in Sienna.

DSC07457.thumb.JPG.430c4b268ace09fd4b7351be76700c49.JPG

In 2019, on the Veendam, we were in Livorno three times.  Since we had never really explored Livorno, we decided to stay in town that year and avoid the crowds in Florence.  

The first day, we took the Ho-Ho and visited the village of Santuario al Montenero, by funicular which was included in the Ho-Ho ticket.

DSC06875.thumb.JPG.96364a508944372433118a02e15b3e60.JPG

DSC06886.thumb.JPG.b5f0ae7568b61279b109331c0ff41adf.JPG

The next two stops there, we rode the local bus, stopping once at the beach.   At several areas of the beach you have to pay to get in, but we found a nice place where we could sit and get a coke.

DSC08143.thumb.JPG.29ad090cf7a0b6beec18c9c2ee88ec1c.JPG

Livorno is not a tourist town, but we still managed to enjoy the days there, since they were slow paced and we could take it easy.

DSC06869.thumb.JPG.4c4c55b0133083c07f4af71d40f9295e.JPGDSC08145.thumb.JPG.f4ae7d14ea6901e52051249c49bfd6a7.JPG

DSC07174.thumb.JPG.b09e26cbde60613f963cad983c7b832d.JPG

Lenda

Nice photos Lenda.

When we went to Pisa our coach stopped about half a mile away and we walked past hundreds of stalls selling Italian leather mainly handbags before we got to the Leaning tower.

• Like 10

Good morning. I need to get cracking this morning as yesterday was sort of a lost day. My reaction to my booster booster booster was exhaustion. My arm was slightly sore, no aches and no fever but I could not wake up fully all day. Would get up, walk dogs or wash a few dishes and then back to bed. To say things are piling up around the house is a real understatement. Well, it could have been much worse. Need now to schedule the flu shot.... glad opted to do them separately.

Haven't been to the destination... and the stuffed shells look wonderful, but not for me right now. A cheeseburger, without the bun, might do for tonight. And it will be an easy fix with a salad.

Susan

• Like 17

We had cheeseburgers last night! 

Our neighbors are coming over tonight for Argentinean style grilled sirloin with chimichurri sauce. I am also going to try the Mexican street corn salad recipe that @dfish posted a few weeks ago. 

Stopped in Livorno once but did not spend any time there (we went to Lucca instead). The port seemed pretty "industrial" -

DSC_0995.thumb.JPG.37059a16a9514880b1599dae13d8dd95.JPGDSC_0996.thumb.JPG.78da7a17fd6d94e5e513c65cb0cac4c3.JPGDSC_0997.thumb.JPG.4610c9df3b0ce6e66a86eb2ce692e6db.JPGDSC_0998.thumb.JPG.c82bde14866bf9155bae47f4a87f38e4.JPG

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Thanks for our Sunday Daily, Rich.

Great collection of days - a cheeseburger sounds good if it stops raining & I will gladly celebrate my friendship with women.  Wives are priceless.

Not sure what to make of the today’s quote and don’t agree with it.  Today’s meal is a good one but I may opt for a cheeseburger instead.

We’ve been to Livorno a few times - so much to see in the area aside from Florence and, always an enjoyable, interesting day.

Well the appliance and electronic bug have bit.  My deep freeze didn’t have the light on so I unplugged, unloaded it and defrosted and cleaned it.  Put it back on and it seems to be working sort of but the light that tells me it is isn’t.  The warranty was expiring in May and fortunately when they offered the extended warranty in April, I took it.  Didn’t want the hassle of replacing if repair was too pricey with Jose in the hospital/nursing home (I had nor crystal ball 😔).  So, just a call to the company for service.

2442C648-8668-43EC-8699-E69DB406E549.jpeg.32979a6eb6f823803f6a28bc1fc3f110.jpeg

Went to replace the front door battery for the alarm system and there’s nothing there to put a battery in 😱 Hopefully they are out today to replace and not like this guy:

E702986D-A7CC-4987-9E94-A7BA427719C3.thumb.jpeg.2a79572cb1dd816c61faa97cb4fe1ccd.jpeg

Talk about a weird garden year - this vine has gone nuts but never flowered.

ED241FC1-565E-49B0-903B-3561A97A579C.thumb.jpeg.bd6a56b1b98f12d651307db5aa224667.jpeg

Finally last night I saw the first 2 flowers (You can see them at the top in the other pic)

D7BF5769-7416-4EEB-9B22-6766CEB2A72F.thumb.jpeg.78612a4e5cd4a698780f9edfebbec186.jpeg 

Dumb vine - don’t you know it’s mid September and you are going to be ripped out soon?

I hope you can go and make it work 🤞 

Ugh.  That ‘unknown’ is scary

Oh dear Melissa - I hope the centre can get what she needs and she can gain some strength.  My prayers continue for her 🙏 

Welcome home 🙂. Can’t wait to hear about it 👍 

Smart thinking Debbie 👍 The more you catch and do, the less for the inspector.  I wouldn’t fret too much on it - I’ve saw one miss a lot when we bought a house.  On this one, I nixed an inspector and instead brought in a contractor I trusted.

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.  Have a great Saturday everyone!

C247C5CA-CA85-4366-8443-2838AAA6A8FE.jpeg.c0043630780b4db07e0de1e4e95c27ef.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 

Jacqui, sorry about the appliance gremlin attacking your freezer.  Hope the fix is easy and good that you have the extended warranty.

50 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

I have been to Livorno, once, not happily -- I lost my wallet in Florence (not necessarily to a pickpocket; I could have dropped it or left it on the counter after making a purchase), and I thought that Pisa was boring. I happened to have my passport and an ATM card from a different bank with me, but the next day I had to call that bank from Mallorca because, although it let the first withdrawal through, it then locked the card. During the call I broke the frame of my glasses. If you ever need to buy Superglue in Spain, it's called Superglue.

I'd better go easy on wife appreciation since it would be someone else's wife.

Most stuffed shell recipes don't work for me, because one or another of the ingredients is something I don't eat, but here's a vegan recipe that would be OK:

https://nosweatvegan.com/vegan-stuffed-shells/. Grüner Veltiner is always OK with me. I don't really appreciate coconut.

The Junior Cat ate on her own this morning, after I took her to the food dish, and then she cuddled with me and purred for a while.

Good news that the Junior Cat ate on her own.  Glad she is doing better.

9 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

Good morning. I need to get cracking this morning as yesterday was sort of a lost day. My reaction to my booster booster booster was exhaustion. My arm was slightly sore, no aches and no fever but I could not wake up fully all day. Would get up, walk dogs or wash a few dishes and then back to bed. To say things are piling up around the house is a real understatement. Well, it could have been much worse. Need now to schedule the flu shot.... glad opted to do them separately.

Haven't been to the destination... and the stuffed shells look wonderful, but not for me right now. A cheeseburger, without the bun, might do for tonight. And it will be an easy fix with a salad.

Susan

Susan, glad today is a better day.  I'd already decided to not get the flu shot and the next booster at the same time.

42 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Nice photos Lenda.

When we went to Pisa our coach stopped about half a mile away and we walked past hundreds of stalls selling Italian leather mainly handbags before we got to the Leaning tower.

Thank you, Graham.

4 minutes ago, Overhead Fred said:

We had cheeseburgers last night! 

Our neighbors are coming over tonight for Argentinean style grilled sirloin with chimichurri sauce. I am also going to try the Mexican street corn salad recipe that @dfish posted a few weeks ago. 

Stopped in Livorno once but did not spend any time there (we went to Lucca instead). The port seemed pretty "industrial" -

DSC_0995.thumb.JPG.37059a16a9514880b1599dae13d8dd95.JPGDSC_0996.thumb.JPG.78da7a17fd6d94e5e513c65cb0cac4c3.JPGDSC_0997.thumb.JPG.4610c9df3b0ce6e66a86eb2ce692e6db.JPGDSC_0998.thumb.JPG.c82bde14866bf9155bae47f4a87f38e4.JPG

Fred, I agree, the Livorno port is a busy, working port.  Fortunately, there is a shuttle into town, especially since the ships are docking at at portion of the port further from town.

Lenda

• Like 16

Good Morning,

Thought I'd pop in, just to feel a little more normal from the weekly cacophony of nurses and therapists coming by.  Dad is doing fine, he sleeps a lot and the only real pain he's been in lately is in his lower legs.  We finally got a hospital bed, the kind with the air mattress that rotates the pressure.  An RN drops by twice a week and a PT as well, although the benefit of the latter is questionable because Dad refuses to do the assignments in between visits.  My entire dining room has been transformed into a makeshift supply room, which doesn't really matter because we're not having people over outside of brief periodic visits just to say hello. 

We've had a couple chilly mornings and there's a hint of fall in the air.  It's hard to believe how fast the time is going, in another couple weeks I'll be putting out the pumpkins and fall decorations.  

Cruising feels like a million miles away, but once in a while I think about it and I know I'll return to it someday in the future, whether that's in a couple of years or ten; I wonder how many changes there'll be by that time?  I wonder how large the ships will be?  Hopefully the world cruises will be returning this winter, it's so enjoyable to read about them. 

I hope everybody is doing well and having fantastic trips abroad.  And my apologies to our British friends about the Queen, you're in my thoughts.  

Take care!

~Bruno

• Like 23
  • Thanks 9

On several of our visits to Livorno, we have rented cars are toured the countryside of Tuscany.  These pictures are from visits to three different towns in the area.

We visited Lucca in 2004 while on Noordam III.  The two of the gates to the walled city.

IMG_2763.thumb.JPG.d0eabcc5e3b748939a3ecc176cc6b282.JPG

IMG_2765.thumb.JPG.23ff2a376d4052f24e768f3d89d900f6.JPG

Inside the walls

IMG_2766.thumb.JPG.802381a01c6fa94c0b50133f3ce3ef30.JPG

IMG_2769.thumb.JPG.33bd4031718138dbbcd99a5b6690f9b6.JPG

IMG_2771.thumb.JPG.f14460d7009aa106aa15ebee96665283.JPG

IMG_2772.thumb.JPG.1799190d5c4d9880efe27e6e4acb2ce3.JPG

IMG_2776.thumb.JPG.d1ac679ccb745ea01b24a9ffdcd4f86a.JPG

In 2008 while on the Prinsendam, we drove to San Gimignano, which is known for it's square towers.  This is the Piazza del Duomo

IMG_3821.thumb.JPG.73c26ce4cc7ea811bce38114094cf479.JPG

IMG_3822.thumb.JPG.3167a9591587a57daf7d0de9379da54c.JPG

An interesting building in the Pizza del Cisterna

IMG_3827.thumb.JPG.9bb5b9ba654f6a09d7fdb7feebcfa938.JPG

IMG_3829.thumb.JPG.07d2c3cf23875a36d6e0bacd9d9f06c3.JPG

The countryside west of San Gimignano with the town in the background of one picture.

IMG_3836.thumb.JPG.8454751d39b3279bf58540320bd401d7.JPG

IMG_3837.thumb.JPG.82536c5e183e9737bb5f6fe31827f542.JPG

IMG_3845.thumb.JPG.009b39cf370227bb76321ca5e90d403f.JPG

Our final stop that day was Volterra, which sits on top of a hill as the name implies.  It is a climb from the parking garage to the main part of the town.  The first picture is Volterra from the highway.

IMG_3848.thumb.JPG.73eb0f634429a28bd3f9181cbd4c3e5f.JPG

IMG_3855.thumb.JPG.d9923261b349dc99f375417d39a1c7e9.JPG

IMG_3857.thumb.JPG.87d8e27c8afe0fb56ddc31fc39f8a5d8.JPG

IMG_3854.thumb.JPG.6a4c375b8acc1aa665431723c9e2a7d6.JPG

We found the best gelato in a small shop on one of the narrow streets.

Lenda

• Like 20
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, travelnap said:

Bob, I recommend the quarter pounder with cheese and also treat her to a hot apple pie, so she knows how much you think of her.

Travelnap, are you following me. Just finished a quarter pounder with cheese and a hot apple pie for lunch. The Misses was very impressed. Tonight, it’s Ruth Chris. I hear they have a great cheeseburger. 😀

• Like 12
  • Haha 1