The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday September 27th, 2022

richwmn

Good morning, everyone!

Wow, did I sleep in this morning.  I don't think I've slept that late in ages.  Yesterday's travel wore me out.  I'm hoping the next time I make that trip it will be because of moving.  

@kazu Jacqui, I think it is great that you booked a cruise for over Christmas and New Years.  Sue and I were going to do one but decided we wanted the cruises next summer more.  $$$ is finite. Instead we will spend the holidays in our new home.  We hope.  

The wine sounds great.  I love a good Gewurtztraminer.  MIght go well with one of today's chicken dishes. The only requirement for today's meal is chicken and a skillet.   Skillet chicken can really be anything you want it to be.  It can be a simple dish like this skillet chicken with a garlic and herb sauce made in the pan.  https://www.cookingclassy.com/skillet-chicken-with-garlic-herb-butter-sauce/

70119912_skilletchicken1.thumb.jpg.9f9de6221ed1e51dfc751581f561f50b.jpg

Or this one with a nice spice rub for the chicken before cooking. The method described helps keep the chicken breasts moist and juicy.   https://www.inspiredtaste.net/49683/skillet-chicken-breasts/

1214688486_skilletchicken2.thumb.jpg.1f709b608f652e15826bbe38890b5f71.jpg

This next one looks really delicious.  You might want some rice to go with it or riced cauliflower if you are watching your carbs.   https://gypsyplate.com/easy-creamy-chicken-skillet/

1858400743_skilletchicken3.thumb.jpg.747e64399ff8563d2abb57eb5e32b6bb.jpg

You can make this dish anything you want, from a version of chicken pot pie......https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/chicken-biscuit-skillet/

459906895_skilletchicken5.jpg.2e26b9ccf3af588b28a99fb1379c50e1.jpg

to something that sounds fancy like these plum chicken tenders.   https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/skillet-plum-chicken-tenders/

1520441090_skilletchicken6.jpg.091107861cf742a3507562cb1a85804d.jpg

If those choices aren't enough, here are 60 ways to make chicken in a skillet.  https://www.tasteofhome.com/collection/skillet-chicken-recipes/

311860934_skilletchicken7.jpg.0bba8b3faa1891cc901310e70412d65c.jpg

Wishing everyone a great day.  May those in the path of Ian remain safe.  And may our new sellers accept our offer.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 7

Good morning Dailyites. 

A chilly 59 this morning. No complaints here!! Prayers lifted for our friends trying to batten down the hatches awaiting Ian and those trying to clean up after Fiona. Prayers for all needing support and get wells to those who are ill.

Last night we had 9 for game night. The food was delicious and we had a lot of laughs. I made Cosmo's and margarita's and magically the bottles were empty when everyone left. 

Nothing planned for today. I decided to ask our landscaper to come by to change some things in the front. It's a constant battle with the nut grass. Yesterday I was trimming the rose tree and a spider walked up my wrist. I went to shake it off and it bit me. I have a huge bruise and knot. ALMOST as painful as the fire ants last week. 

Does anyone know how long the ships keep the lost and found items? I know it's a crapshoot but I lost my diamond earring on Rotterdam last year and I checked every day to see if it was recovered. Where do the items go when they are unclaimed? We will be on her Dec 11th and I'll make one last inquiry..

I'm with Jacqui. I would like to be a traveler rather than a tourist.

image.png.7617c6905fa16f793dd6242980a2d437.png

image.png.0a284f248c0f6ce0fbc4f6ef2161c59b.png

And please! Don't forget to vote!!

image.png.433786644ffdcc335e613b1ad1a82650.png

Blessings,  prayers and cheers. 

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Good morning! Slept in this morning which is a wonderful option. Today is the day for dishwasher install. So we are anxiously awaiting a call they are on their way. Not fully confident but hopeful.

Headed out for a  walk in refreshing low sixties temperature which will be a nice change.

It appears we are not going to have much affect from Ian but our thoughts and prayers go out to our fellow Floridians that are in harms way.

Hopefully, my security rant yesterday did not offend anyone as it was only intended as a concerned reminder.

Never even heard of today’s port of call and every day should be Forgiveness Day.

Thanks for the reports. Stay safe.

Bruce

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report, and thank you Debbie for today's recipes. 

It is Oosterdam's turn to be docked in Trieste along with AidaBlu. We were originally booked on today's cruise along with the Rotterdam Transatlantic next month.

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/italia/friuli-venezia-giulia/trieste/lanterna.html

Sue and I received our third booster yesterday. Nothing but a sore arm and restless sleep for me. But Sue feels achy today. Hope that is all she gets. With me I need to watch around day 11 as that is when both previous boosters gave me a day of feeling punky. Still don't understand that one!

We will probably book our first 2024 cruise today. It will be the Noordam on its Transpacific from Sydney in April. That way we can visit with our Aussie friends in Melbourne again.

Hope everyone in the storm's path stay safe. We will get the remnants over the weekend.

Stay Safe!

- Jack

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 26

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Now that Canada is removing Covid restrictions effective Oct 1, we should have more tourists coming here.  We voted in a by-election yesterday; neither of us has missed a vote since we became eligible because if you don't vote, you don't have a right to complain.  LOL  Forgiveness can be tough, but forgetting can be more difficult.

It's a cool 7C (45F) this morning, but will warm up to a nice 24C (75F) later today; strange weather for the end of September, but we live in strange times.  Tomorrow's high is predicted at 29C (85F), so it might have been a little hasty for me to have put away the summer tops and capris!  Did anyone go out last night to see Jupiter?  We walked to the park at the end of our block (5 houses away) and sat there for a while looking at it; it looked like an incoming aircraft, except that it never moved.  It is the brightest it's been in 59 years, and for once we had clear skies to see a celestial event.  I've been watching the news reports for our friends in Florida, Georgia et al, and worry for you - hopefully Ian fizzles out and doesn't cause the damage that folks are predicting.

Taking DH for his 3rd booster today; I'll be able to get mine when the next age group opens up.  I'd like us to get our 3rd boosters and flu shots before our trip and just checked online - flu shots should be available in October - just in time, I'm thinking!

I like today's menu suggestion and think that might be a good option for us - skillet chicken with garlic herb butter sauce sounds great - combine that with some dilled potatoes and asparagus will make a great meal for us on the deck tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for those who are hurting, especially those having to clean up after Fiona, and cheers for the celebrations.  Stay safe, everyone!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 31

2 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Am I remembering correctly, don’t we have a Dailyite in Punta Gorda?

@cat shepard I can't answer your Punta Gorda  Daily-ite question, but my family's place is just north of there.

(None of my family is currently there.)

Punta Gorda is in Charlotte County which has now added Zone B - ORANGE to the already posted Zone A - RED evacuations. And, most of Charlotte County is either RED or ORANGE.

Friends of mine have fled to Wisconsin, others are finishing securing their homes before evacuating and, as one said, "All are praying for a miracle." If Ian comes in as now predicted, our neighborhood there will likely suffer significant damage.

Punta Gorda Airport (PGD) is moving all planes out by 2pm. Allegiant has cancelled all flights.  Sarasota Airport (SRQ) is closing at 8pm tonight. And, Tampa (TPA) continues its 5pm closing.

-M.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 6

Good morning all!

Interesting days - as others have said, I'd rather be called a traveler than a tourist. Not sure about the quote, will pass on the drink but the meal and wine both sound very good.  But tonight will be a nice dinner (that I won't be cooking) because it's our anniversary.

Hoping we have some photos today of the port, have never been to this one.  

Debbie @dfishhoping the seller accepts your offer today.

Geri @ger_77we also saw Jupiter last night!  When I looked the first time, it hadn't risen above the trees across the street so I was looking at the wrong one -- then later WOW what a difference and a thrill to see it so bright and big!  Very thankful we had a clear night here to see it.

@HAL4NOWthank you for the update this morning.  We need some rain!  Your news would explain why we smelled smoke later last night for the first time in over a week.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good day Dailyites!!

Thank you Rich and all who contribute to this thread. I so enjoy the cartoons especially.

Woke up on NS about 8am to a little fog but not enough for the whistle. We are cruising at around 10 knots due to Right Whale activity. Pretty much right north of Gaspe on the map atm. 5 ft swells tops according to Capt O'Driscoll, almost smooth as glass from our perspective. About 52F with some sun. Dressy night tonight. 

Hope everyone has a great day.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I'm sure all Dailyites appreciate world tourism day! Registering to vote is important and Forgiveness is something to strive to achieve. Not sure I agree with the quote.

I like the meal, pass on the drink and maybe on the wine.

I haven't been to Havre-Saint-Pierre, Quebec.

Another cloudy, spotty showers, chilly day. We may get some remnants of Ian on Sunday. BFF is coming over later, so I'll do some tidying beforehand.

@*Miss G* Sorry you had a restless night. Safe travels.

@HAL4NOW Oh my on that picture. And with the highway closure, can you get home?

@kazu Great memes. And good for you on the holiday cruise booking.

@Dismomx5 Safe travels and have a wonderful cruise!

@StLouisCruisers I'm glad DGD is going to a safer place. Good luck with the dentist appointment.

@Cruzin Terri I hope you find your earring. 

@ottahand7 Continued prayers for Frank. Be safe if you go to the game.

@dfish Thanks for the recipes and I hope you hear good news from the sellers soon.

@Seasick Sailor Oh no on the spider bite! Insects like you too much! Sorry you lost your earring.

@aliaschief Woohoo on the dishwasher installation!

@Cruising-along Happy Anniversary! 

@fatcat04 Enjoy your day at sea.

Prayers for the Care List, especially all in the path of Ian and Canada recovering from Fiona.

Cheers for the Celebration List. Stay safe and healthy everyone.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 6

Good morning everyone and Happy Tuesday. I can’t believe that we leave for Quebec City one week from today. Getting excited but also stressed because I’ve been so unorganized because of not feeling well due to my psoriasis. I spent a lot of time on the phone yesterday with a support group that is supposed to help pay for the medication. First call I was hung up on, then told that I qualify but had to call a different group that handles Medicare. That first person I couldn’t understand, it sounded like she was in India and kept putting me on hold, it sounded like children were in the background. In the end she said I didn’t qualify so I decided to call again. Second person said I didn’t qualify but that I could reapply through the mail and get a doctor’s note, which I can’t get done before I leave. I don’t understand how they think I could afford over $4,000 a month for a prescription.  I decided to channel Scarlet O’Hara and worry about it tomorrow. 

Jacqui @kazu, I think it’s great you booked a Holiday cruise!  It sounds fun. We really enjoyed our Holiday cruise last year. 

Joy @Seasick Sailor, I don’t know how long they keep the lost and found either. Craig lost his EarPods in June on the Oosterdam and we finally gave up. I think he left them on a table in aft pool area after reading and drinking his hot tea and they either got tossed in the trash or someone picked them up and kept them. 

Today’s saucy skillet chicken sounds good. Thank you for the recipes Debbie @dfish. I hope your offer gets accepted on the house. 

Craig is off to a cardiologist appointment and I have some errands to run plus I have some shopping I did for DM that I need to deliver to her. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4

Good morning, all! Good group of days, and as last minute excitement hits, I could use hibiscus water as a meal about now! All our bags are packed, except the last things in the carry-ons. Today is final bits getting the condo tidied. DHs cousin will be staying here most of the time, so it’s not like we’re shutting it down. This is our last morning at home until mid May, so there’s some winterized going in the small garden to be done. In an hour, I do the online check in for our flight to Montreal. This is really going to happen!

Canada and HAL just changed testing regulations for our first leg leaving, and we sail the first day they are in effect. Being fully vaccinated, we don’t need a Covid test! This morning I cancelled our appointments for a proctored test.

Over the next nearly eight months I will post when I can, with a picture of where we are. There are some exciting ports in store. If anyone is interested, my travel blog is called A Passport in My Parasol. I don’t think I’m allowed to post a link, but if you Google that title, I'm what comes up.

Even though the smoke is coming in from Washington State again, Jupiter was bright and easy to see. With the Moon mode on my camera zoomed in, I could see three of Jupiter’s moons as well. Nothing else in the sky showed through at all. @HAL4NOW I can only imagine how sick of all the smoke you must be. Now that everything here smells like a campfire again, I just can’t wait to be out of here tomorrow!

My thoughts are with everyone in the maritime cleaning up from Fiona, and those in Florida bracing for Ian.

Happy Tuesday, everyone. Tomorrow I start my journey towards my BHB!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and thanks all! 
@Cruising-along happy anniversary!  
@aliaschief I think it’s a good reminder, as we often let our guard down here as we are among friends, but it is a public forum,  so caution is wise.

@kazu yay on the holiday cruise, it will be good to be in a different situation and lots of fun!  
@Sharon in AZyikes on the costs, hope that gets sorted! 

@ger_77 glad your DH can access his booster. 
I am not sure whether to take this moderna BA1,  or wait for the Pfizer for BA4/5. Or if I should visit the US to get that one if that’s possible?  Now without masking on the airplanes I’m more nervous.  Hard to know what is best as we all navigate these changing times! 

My friend is enjoying the Volendam, good food and other than some rain she’s enjoying the cruise, 

Stay safe all! 

F2A7E5DF-3FF9-4B6F-BAFE-097B16FF16BB.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good morning everyone and Happy Tuesday. I can’t believe that we leave for Quebec City one week from today. Getting excited but also stressed because I’ve been so unorganized because of not feeling well due to my psoriasis. I spent a lot of time on the phone yesterday with a support group that is supposed to help pay for the medication. First call I was hung up on, then told that I qualify but had to call a different group that handles Medicare. That first person I couldn’t understand, it sounded like she was in India and kept putting me on hold, it sounded like children were in the background. In the end she said I didn’t qualify so I decided to call again. Second person said I didn’t qualify but that I could reapply through the mail and get a doctor’s note, which I can’t get done before I leave. I don’t understand how they think I could afford over $4,000 a month for a prescription.  I decided to channel Scarlet O’Hara and worry about it tomorrow. 

Sharon, have you contacted the manufacturer? My rheumatologist has a dedicated pharmacy person in their office who helps with these expensive meds (I'm on Kevazra which would run $4k-$5k a month out of pocket). My insurance did come around later and say they'd cover this non-formulary medication at $100/month, but I'd already been approved for getting it free from the manufacturer.

@Horizon chaser 1957 You're off on your great adventure! Thanks for mentioning your blog. Safe travels and have a wonderful time!

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

@HAL4NOW Oh my on that picture. And with the highway closure, can you get home?

Highway 2 should be opened again later today. PSE is working on the power lines that got knocked down from falling burning trees. When the road is cleaned up and power restored to the neighborhood it shouldn't be a problem getting home tomorrow.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

A late good morning from a sunny. cooler, windy central Texas.  Today is laundry day, and so far I'm keeping up with it and also got the sheets changed.

DH and I are in a pleasant state of mild shock.  He called the spine surgeon early this morning for an appointment.  We expected a wait of weeks if not months, but he has an appointment at 1:15 this afternoon in Waco!  👏 👍

World forgiveness is good, but as @grapau27 said, somethings just can't be forgiven, much less forgotten.  Fortunately, in Texas once you are registered to vote, you remain registered unless they purge the voter lists.  Every two years, we receive a new voter registration card by mail, except this year DH did not get his.  He called the county Elections Administer.s office and was told he is registered.  We like to think we are travelers, but not tourists.  However, when we are in a place for the first time, we're probably tourists.  😄

The Edgar Allan Poe quote is rather strange like it's author.

The meal, in all it's varieties sounds good.  Since I cook them in a skillet, I guess our chicken fajitas might count as skillet chicken.  We'll pass on the drink and the wine.

We have not been to Havre-Saint- Pierre yet.

@cat shepard  Ann, IIRC, @MISTER 67 is the Dailyite from Punta Gorda.

@HAL4NOW   I sincerely hope the fire fighters can keep the fire from entering Skyskomish, and that the all residents are safe.  Safe travels tomorrow if you are able to get home.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, I hope you find your earring. 

@kazu  Jacqui, that's wonderful news about the Christmas/ New Year's cruise.

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, sorry about that spider bite. I don't want to alarm your, but I hope it wasn't a brown recluse spider snice their bites can be serious.  I think after a cruise ends, all the lost items that are not claimed are sent to Seattle.  

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 4

47 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

@HAL4NOWthank you for the update this morning.  We need some rain!  Your news would explain why we smelled smoke later last night for the first time in over a week.

We definitely need rain or snow. The smoke you smelled may have come from the fire just east of Monroe yesterday.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1