The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday September 28th, 2022

richwmn

Good Morning All,

Its Wednesday already.

Joining in prayer for those being affected/threatened by the storms.

@dfish What a lovely house! It feels so “outdoors”, sort of a feeling of Frank Lloyd Wright.

@smitty34877 Praying your family isn’t affected again by Covid.

I’m waiting to hear from my Dad about the rest his birthday. Last update was before he went to dinner. Maybe this is a good time to share a heartwarming story:

Dad lives independently in an RCFE. Residents have their own “condos”, and get one meal per calendar day in the “MDR” included in the fee.  A few birthdays ago, the staff sat him at his table that was set up in advance with balloons, sang Happy Birthday, and presented him with a huge ice cream Sundae. He thanked them, and said to his waiter he needed someone to share it with him, and would he help him?  A few minutes later, the young man returned, sat down with Dad, and they shared the sundae and some wonderful conversation. Dad still gets a glow when he talks about it.

Stay safe everyone, and have a great day!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

We are still in Houston- I was able to change flight to Tampa to Saturday- also had to extend hotel here and change some appointments.  I am glad I did - thanks for encouragement to change.

My DS who lives on water near us in St Petersburg went to a friend’s house in a non evacuation zone.  Water may still be a problem.  She has a greenhouse which may not withstand winds, but moved orchids inside.  But we are really lucky.  I hope that others survive wind and water.  Ian looks dangerous. 

best wishes to all.  I hope everyone stays safe.  Congratulations Debbie on getting new house!  It looks nice.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, all! The days and the meal sound interesting. We have been to Nha  Trang, but don’t have pictures. I remember the Cham Towers, a very interesting market, amazing coffee at a tiny place only a few blocks from the tourist area, and that amazing beach. I also remember absolutely blazing heat. It was a wonderful day, but man oh man was the shower ever welcome when we got back to the Volendam!

We are at Vancouver airport waiting to leave for Montreal. It’s been years since I took a domestic flight. Things are so much easier without Customs and Immigration pre clearance to go through!

@dfishDebbie that is so wonderful you have a house! And such a beautiful one! And you don’t have the potential headaches of dealing with that sleepy seller of the one that fell through.

@kazu Jacqui, I think the holiday cruise is a good idea. IMHO, this Christmas is going to feel wrong emotionally no matter where you spend it. On a holiday cruise, there are lights and distractions and visible reasons why nothing is quite the same or quite right. Also, in the future when you are home for Christmas, your home won’t be carrying the memories of the pain from this Christmas. @Quartzsite Cruiser Lenda, that picture your DH took of Jupiter is fabulous!

Fingers crossed and prayers sent for all in Hurricane Ian’s path. Stay safe!
Happy Wednesday everyone! May all the BHBs stay safe as Ian approaches!

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

I have not found my earring.

@Cruzin Terri, @Seasick Sailor, and all,

A few months ago when DH was hospitalized I was rushing to get ready, didn't close the stopper as I usually do,  and I dropped a sentimental earring down the sink drain. Later that night, over Zoom, my DB coached me through taking apart the sink pipes and recovering it. Hurrah!

A week later, when wearing them again, I realized my right earlobe was naked. Oh, no; Lost again and that time never found.

So, the jeweler made a new pair. Not as sentimental but lovely. I still have the original one + the new two. Apologies to our British Daily-ites, but now I have "a pair and a spare". 🤣🤣🤣

I hope @Cruzin Terri finds her earring and @Seasick Sailor recovers hers. So frustrating to lose a special one...

(And, why, you wonder did I tell this? Just for the giggle that I need as I wait to see if we lose my family's decades owned special place...)

• Like 20
  • Thanks 7

2 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

@Cruzin Terri, @Seasick Sailor, and all,

A few months ago when DH was hospitalized I was rushing to get ready, didn't close the stopper as I usually do,  and I dropped a sentimental earring down the sink drain. Later that night, over Zoom, my DB coached me through taking apart the sink pipes and recovering it. Hurrah!

A week later, when wearing them again, I realized my right earlobe was naked. Oh, no; Lost again and that time never found.

So, the jeweler made a new pair. Not as sentimental but lovely. I still have the original one + the new two. Apologies to our British Daily-ites, but now I have "a pair and a spare". 🤣🤣🤣

I hope @Cruzin Terri finds her earring and @Seasick Sailor recovers hers. So frustrating to lose a special one...

(And, why, you wonder did I tell this? Just for the giggle that I need as I wait to see if we lose my family's decades owned special place...)

Reaching up in prayers for you!

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dfish said:

And a wonderful morning it is.  We have a house!   As predicted, we met in the middle between yesterday's counter offers.  I am so excited that this is over and I won't be homeless for too long.  I'll get photos soon.  Some cardboardeaux is in the future.

Debbie the best news ever and a wonderful way to start my day with your news!  

Until the cruise when we can celebrate together, let's celebrate across the country!  "There's a party going on, we're going to celebrate with you!"

• Like 22

@dfish  I love the house!  I love the windows that open at the bottom (my friend Theresa has windows like that)  I love the back yard!  (will they let you keep the riding mower?)  and I agree, you gotta lose the exercise equipment in the living room.  Any bedroom pictures?  I know you said your sister was getting the downstairs, which will allow her to have her art studio with her, but what about yours?  I also love the kitchen, but the dining area is sweet!  Surrounded by windows, I can imagine bird feeders out side, you sipping coffee watching the wildlife.  

• Like 22

Hurricane Ian report from SW Florida. Latest prediction is Ian making landfall near Placida Florida which is just north of Boca Grande. As the crow flies, we are about 15 miles from Placida which would probably put us on the eastern edge of the eye wall. Rain still coming down, as I look out to the 12th hole of our golf course I see a lot of pooling of water, nothing close to our condo. Winds are picking up, right now around 40MPH but expecting 100MPH in a couple of hours.

We still have power but for how long, who knows.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 18

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

All good days. I like beer on occasion, a salute to good neighbors and public lands. Great quote.

Maybe on the meal, without miso. Pass on the drink. I'll take the red wine.

I haven't been to Nha Trang. Thanks for the photos @StLouisCruisers

Brrr. It was 45 this AM; I was toasty under the covers. I'll have to bring some plants in soon. Only up to 57 today when normal is 70 at this time of year. Otherwise, nothing new except it's injection day. Prayers for all in the path of Ian to stay safe.

@MISTER 67 @RedneckBob @jimgev and all Floridians at risk, stay safe!

@smitty34877 Prayers for you, Tana and the family that there's no Covid; you all don't need anything else to deal with again.

@dfish Congrats on the house! 🍾🍷 Thanks for sharing the photos of it. Love the kitchen!

@kazu Safe travels to your session, and good luck making your final decision about the cruise.

@Cruzin Terri Praying everything works out for you.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Thanks for sharing DH's great Jupiter photo!

@Lady Hudson Congrats to your nephew! I hope your friends recover quickly, especially the hospitazed one.

@*Miss G* I'm glad you made it to the funeral and safely back home. You must be exhausted. Bon Voyage and have a great trip!

@marshhawk Good luck to DH with the stress test tomorrow.

@Cat in my lap I'm glad you were able to make alternate plans.

@Horizon chaser 1957 Safe travels.

@HAL Sailer Hoping for minimal damage to your family's place.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe and healthy everyone.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4

Good morning all!

I don't like beer unless it's dark beer but I do love that.  Especially with pizza or Mexican food.  As we've been saying this week on the Daily, good neighbors are worth their weight in gold.  I'm fortunate to have good neighbors all around me.  Here in WA state we have 19.8 million acres of public lands.  I love the quote, will pass on the meal, red wine and drink.  DH was in Viet Nam, but not Nha Trang, at least that I know of.

Prayers for all in the path of Ian -- our friends here on the Daily and my family and friends in the Savannah area and Florida.

Terry @smitty34877oh shoot about the aide with Covid.  Prayers that you all don't get it.  You don't need this worry.

@Lady Hudsona big Congratulations to your nephew for joining the Space Force!  You must be so proud. 🙂  

Sandi @StLouisCruisersgreat photos, thank you for sharing!

Debbie @dfishsince learning your news earlier I'm still giggling with joy for you.  But you left out what is probably my favorite part of your new house -- the hot tub!  Besides the great kitchen, back yard and lots of space, I love that hot tub!  

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

Just dropping by before starting to run errands including visits to a number of banks for the Humane Society since here seem to be some issues with signers on some of our accounts. It is just easier to walk in and demand attention then to try to resolve issues over the phone. Cool weather here but quiet. @dfishLove the house. Congratulations! Thinking positive thoughts for all of you in Florida. More later.

Susan

• Like 20

How's this for karma?   The first house is back on the market as the deal fell through.  Sleepy seller had better wake up.  And, no, we aren't considering it.  

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

@dfishCongratulations on getting your new home - I love it !!!!  It looks so nice; I'm envious of the kitchen in particular!

I love the kitchen.   I'll be creating some masterpiece meals there.

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Debbie @dfishthe home looks great!  Spacious living areas and a modern kitchen!  Thanks for sharing with us.  

Lots of room for two old ladies to spread out and not get on each other's nerves.

1 hour ago, Lcubed said:

@dfishvery happy for you! The house & yard look lovely. We were suppose to go house hunt in Ann Arbor next week to be by family. We'll see if that happens. 

I hope you can make it to Ann Arbor.  That is a fun town.

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Looks fantastic Debbie.

I'm delighted for you that everything is sorted.

Graham.

Thanks, Graham!

1 hour ago, Live4cruises said:

@dfish, so happy for you and your sister!  The house looks so nice, and a great yard as well.  I’m looking forward to celebrating with you when we meet on that BHB.

We will have to have a celebration on the BHB.  Not to long now.

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

@dfish your new home looks lovely. The back yard is inviting and I'll bet you will be sitting out by the fire pit having a celebration drink. 

I see many evenings out by the fire pit with family around.

1 hour ago, superoma said:

@dfishwhat a lovely house and property. Especially the kitchen. Wishing you and your sister many happy years there.

Thank you so much!

1 hour ago, TiogaCruiser said:

@dfish What a lovely house! It feels so “outdoors”, sort of a feeling of Frank Lloyd Wright.

I thought the same thing.  I am wondering if it is one of the Alden Dow houses in Midland.  Alden Dow was a student of Frank Lloyd Wright.  There was one of his houses on the market last summer that had a window room.

1 hour ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

@dfishDebbie that is so wonderful you have a house! And such a beautiful one! And you don’t have the potential headaches of dealing with that sleepy seller of the one that fell through.

The sleepy seller has his own headache today.

52 minutes ago, Overhead Fred said:

@dfish - Hooray! Maybe you should splurge for fancy-pants wine in a bottle!

I suppose it does call for a bottle.

46 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Debbie the best news ever and a wonderful way to start my day with your news!  

Until the cruise when we can celebrate together, let's celebrate across the country!  "There's a party going on, we're going to celebrate with you!"

Can not wait!

28 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

@dfishThanks for sharing pictures of your beautiful new home.  Wishing you many years of happiness there.

Thank you!

15 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

@dfish Congrats on the house! 🍾🍷 Thanks for sharing the photos of it. Love the kitchen!

I'm looking forward to the holidays in my new house.  Can't wait to cook that turkey.

9 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Debbie @dfishsince learning your news earlier I'm still giggling with joy for you.  But you left out what is probably my favorite part of your new house -- the hot tub!  Besides the great kitchen, back yard and lots of space, I love that hot tub!  

Well, the truth is we let them keep the hot tub to get the price down where we wanted.  As nice as they are, they do suck up electricity like no tomorrow.  And then  you have the maintenance issues.  

3 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

. @dfishLove the house. Congratulations! 

Thank you!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4

7 minutes ago, dfish said:

How's this for karma?   The first house is back on the market as the deal fell through.  Sleepy seller had better wake up.  And, no, we aren't considering it.  

Love it!!!

7 minutes ago, dfish said:

Well, the truth is we let them keep the hot tub to get the price down where we wanted.  As nice as they are, they do suck up electricity like no tomorrow.  And then  you have the maintenance issues.  

Ah, ok -- totally understand! 

• Like 16

51 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

@MISTER 67Thanks! I'm finding your 'in-place' reports very informative. Most webcams are not functioning, so it's hard to get eyes on the area.

Please stay safe,

-Melisa 

Getting a lot of info from WINK news out of Ft. Myers, some amazing videos and live shots of storm surge on the streets of Naples. Sanibel Island is under water as is most of Ft. Myers Beach, not looking good in Cape Coral either. In our 29 years in Florida, Ian is without a doubt the most powerful hurricane we have experienced.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 17

Good morning, Dailyites.  Lots of news today - congratulations on the new home, @dfish, to the Floridians, stay safe!   Eastern Canada has a major clean-up job ahead with so much damage from Fiona, hope Florida fares better.  Terry, @smitty34877, hope the Covid passes you by.  You don't need that again.  Jacqui, @kazu, a holiday cruise sounds wonderful, and may be just what you need.  I think J&J are on one too, but on the west coast.  Graham, @grapau27, hope the skin lesions are nothing serious and they get at them pdq!

I see @StLouisCruisers' photos are not like mine of Nha Trang, so will add a few.  We were there in 2014 on the Volendamand I have forgotten a lot, to will post Pat's diary entry first (he has been keeping diaries of our cruises for a while, and they are a great help for this senior brain!)  We were travelling with Pat's DS and her hubby and our youngest, Cathy, and we had a great active roll call.

Sunday, February 9, 2014
At 8.00 am 17 of us met on the dockside for a tour of Nha Trang (Vietnam) organized by Judy, another of our Meet & Greet Group. Our tour guide was Dong Pham, owner of his own tour company. Our first stop was a silk factory in XQ Historical Village. Next, we stopped at a family bakery where Dung  Pham bought some freshly made bread rolls made from cassava. They were delicious. Our next stop was an orphanage which housed about 120 children. We then visited a mat-making factory. Several of us, including Cathy, worked the loom. Some of us bought place mats. We then stopped at a family-run restaurant for fruit and drinks. Our next stop was a rice noodle making facility. We then visited a 48 meter-high Buddha and adjoining cemetery. We then visited a family-run business making the traditional Vietnamese conical hats. Several of us, including Ann, bought such hats. Lunch was next at a small restaurant by the river. Following the lunch we boarded two boats and "cruised" down the river to Nha Trang to board the bus again. Our next port of call were the Cham Towers, followed by a visit to a market. For those who wanted to, walked on a sandy beach and dipped toes in the sea! We stopped at a rice paddy field on the way back to the ship for A photo op. 

I have a lot of photos, many need a few posts to add them all!  It was a very interesting day.

Bakery!

P1040818.thumb.JPG.9106db00cfea2f982b1e8117c0e07132.JPG

At the orphanage

P1050824.thumb.JPG.e96e6da85981c99a260d141e5c8e2adb.JPG

P1040824.thumb.JPG.ffa1d5cd23df095a112126b3f6db0a8b.JPG

P1050832.thumb.JPG.26a476426580d7d0c084bcd7546533ca.JPG

Noodles

P1050853.thumb.JPG.cd2b649e945a3f23679559ac2cb2593f.JPG

Buddha

P1040862.thumb.JPG.260677975541795f0ab5b0b1c0733a6e.JPG

• Like 17
  • Thanks 6