The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday November 22nd, 2022

richwmn

There was not much traffic coming to Waco this morning.  It might have  been due to schools being out for Thanksgiving all week.  I've also noticed more cops out looking for speeders since last weekend.

4 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Good  morning  to all.I made  cranberry  orange relish yesterday in the midst of Thanksgiving prep My DS and family arrive late Wednesday  from New Hampshire.They enjoy the Parade in person on Thanksgiving  morning.DD and I will man the ovens while they do that. This is the first whole family Thanksgiving since 2019 and I am very excited.

My best to all of you.

Terry

Terry, I would be excited too to have the entire family gathering for Thanksgiving.

4 hours ago, Lady Hudson said:

Prayers for all on our care list.  Thanks to all who post and keep this thread alive.  

Last minute preps for Thursday happening.  Waiting for the cheesecake that was to have been delivered yesterday from a local school group.  Hmmm.  May have to get an additional dessert. 

After the holiday I will begin the packing for our 12/1 trip on Enchantment of the Seas.  DH looks to be ok to travel though there are still many dental visits to come.  It will be nice to get away.

Safe travels for all who will be visiting family.  Katherine 

Katherine, so glad your DH has healed enough to make your cruise possible.  Enjoy your relaxing  time at sea.

4 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good cold and sunny morning. 59 years ago today was the death of President Kennedy. My birthday is always marked by this moment. 
   I guess we’re going out for dinner tonight. Birthday’s aren’t the celebration they used to be.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

🎂 🎈HAPPY 69TH BIRTHDAY!  🥂 🍾

3 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

Have a great birthday!

Some days are etched in our minds forever as we remember exactly what we were doing like the Kennedy assassination, July 20, 1969 when Apollo 11 landed on the Moon and the terrorist attack on the USA on 9.11.2001. 

I would add the Challenger disaster to the list of remembering where we weremand what we were doing.

3 hours ago, kazu said:

@1ANGELCAT a very happy birthday to you 🙂 

4AD3F175-98A4-4279-AE7E-330634CB08CE.jpeg.2ce0b5ad6cb163ec162349413f40509c.jpeg

I don’t see why not, Roy.  It’s my left foot not my right and I think by tomorrow with luck I can manage with a cane for my appointment.  If I’m worried, I’ll put the walker in the car too.

I didn’t want to ask my neighbour  and I had to try it.  I will have you know I got up and down with the stuff I needed 👍 Took a bag up, filled it, zipped it shut and tossed it and my towel down the stairs and then went down 😉 

I did not too bad upstairs with the cane - wouldn’t want to do it too long, yet but I did it.  Foot seems to be improving.

Ahh thanks.  Glad you enjoyed them.  And thanks to you and Maurice for helping with the wine tasting and a few other things - and the company at Miami airport.

Jacqui, glad you made it safely up and down the stairs.  That is good news your foot is getting better.

3 hours ago, ottahand7 said:

Good morning.  I am getting ready to go back to the rehab this morning.  My DSIL texted me last night at 2:30 am that he is back at the rehab.  She said his return was delayed, probably waiting for transport.  His BP is normal HR still elevated and they put him on a new antibiotic.   They both must be exhausted.   

Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Reports!    I never had freckles when I was young or my skin was thick enough that they didn't show.  Now I have massive ones all over.   I went until I was 60 before I had to use foundation, now it is a necessity.   My Thanksgiving cranberry relish is already made.  I used 2 bags of cranberries, a large jar of Smucker's orange marmalade, a bit of sugar and threw in a large handful of dried cherries.   It will be good on Thursday.   I will be going for a ride down the highway to visit DB.   I will pass on the squash and lentils, wait on the drink and would try the vino.  Never have been to Topolambo.   Prayers for all on our care list and for the people of Ukraine.  Thank you for your messages and prayers about my DB.   A photo DF sent me this morning to brighten my day, I hope it does you too.   A Rose Breasted Grosbeak at my jelly feeder last spring.  Have a good day!   Nancy 

RBG and finch 112222.jpg

Nancy, that is good news your DB was well enough to return to rehab.  I hope the new antibiotic can clear up his infection.  Loved the picture of the two beautiful birds.  Thanks.

3 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Dailyites. Brrr I went out to feed the birds and it's cold, windy, and foggy. Trying not to be glum about it since our friends in NY are miserable. 

image.png.adfe9851ac9a465530e1ab4ed21a267b.png

Last night we ate downtown for prime rib night with friends. I had a bowl of onion soup first that was so good I could have eaten a 2nd bowl and send the prime rib home with us.

I have a Dr appt this morning,  then pedicures and lunch with friends. There's a few options for dinner tonight in the fridge but won't be squash.

Our Delta flight to/from Austin/FLL has made change #6. Now we're stuck waiting in Atlanta for 4 hours. I'm going to look at other options when I finish my post.

Prayers lifted for those on our growing list. Prayers also for Ukraine, Java, and the family and friends of the 4 murdered students in Moscow Idaho. 

Joy, I hope your appointment goes well, and that you can find a better flight.

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

It's a rainy morning here, but warmed up to the mid 40's F and heading to close to 50.  I'll take rain over snow any day, but we're supposed to get some of that "frozen mix" next week so colder temps ahead.

I think I had a few freckles when I was a child, but not many.  Love cranberry relish, and will save my ride for Thursday when we drive to Lynden to my sister's house.

The quote is humorous, will pass on the meal and drink, but the wine sounds very good.  Never have been to the port.  

Today starts my 2-day kitchen marathon.  I'll be making the dinner rolls in the bread maker, and the corn casserole today.  Not sure what will be for dinner, but it may be take-out. 😉 

We're taking advantage of the Black Friday sale on both HAL and Celebrity, and making out very well on our next 2 cruises!  Still waiting for our new HAL PCC to respond (I really miss our last PCC who retired this year) 😞  If she doesn't "shape up" soon, there will be no more bookings with her!  On the other hand, we book our Celebrity cruises with the Big Box store, and they handled everything quickly with no delay.

Jacqui @kazuwe also had priority tags and air tags on our luggage and the airline managed to misplace them.  Flying has gotten ridiculous.  I hope yours turns up soon.

@1ANGELCATHappy Birthday!

Today our DS and DDIL will get their new puppy and they're beyond excited.  It will also mean that most likely they won't be able to join us in Lynden on Thanksgiving, but I understand.  I plan to bring them some left overs on Friday if they can't come. 

They went through a rescue/foster program called Dog Gone Seattle.  She isn't trained at all, so they understandably don't want to bring her on a long car ride yet.  I'm sure by Christmas they'll have her travel-ready.  All their other dogs have been well-trained.  Here's a photo of her from the rescue place. Her new name will be Pepper.

Pepper.thumb.jpg.ea07c8b9a5d487dc97e14e28981345b5.jpg

Carolyn, Pepper is cute, but looks a little scared and bewildered at the new surroundings.  I'm also glad they chose a rescue.

1 hour ago, lindaler said:

Good morning all. Yesterday they came and desurfaced our street. They had so many men and equipement  I just watched. Then about noon today they plan to resurface the road with hot asphalt. None of the neighbors can figure out why as we had one of the best streets in Mobile. No pot holes, no cracks or anything. Surface seemed really nice. It will be hard to do better then what we had. I plan to take my other son and grandson out to lunch to beat the pavers. 

street2.jpg

street1.jpg

Linda, I have a theory about resurfacing roads.  They schedule the resurfacing for every x number of years; then, do the work at that time even if it's not needed.

The case manager just came in the decision of the team evaluation.  The BP situation seems to be slowly resolving itself, they are still concerned with the heart rate going up at certain times.  They decided to push the discharge date back from 11/28 to 12/1.  That means he'll be here for another team evaluation next week. 

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 10

@Cruising-along Thank you for sharing the photo of charming Pepper.  A very cute pup!  

I had a brief visit with DB.   Thankfully I was there when the doctor came in and his PT lady.   He looks great but is griping about PT.  Doctor not concerned about heart rate and BP is now normal.  He is on an additional oral antibiotic but I didn't note what it was.   He would have spent the night in the hospital if they had a bed for him, so he had a late ride back to rehab around 8:30.  I told him to do his therapy.   I will return to see him tomorrow.   

I have my lard, butter and flour out for pie crust.  Now just need to find my food processor in the basement.   No cod for dinner tonight,  DF has cabin fever so we are going out somewhere.   Have a great day!    Nancy

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon!  @1ANGELCATHappy birthday!

I was just looking at a Copper Canyon trip with Caravan leaving from El Paso.  So I am looking forward to photos!

We got another COVID shot today - I hope it will protect us for our cruise!  

I am still deciding on insurance for our world cruise.   I think we will self insure except for medevac- except reviews of less expensive companies make them appear to be worthless. I have been happy with Allianz’s annual policy, but that is not good for trips over 90 days.  I am thinking in future b2b2b2 with time to explore in between may be best for us.  

Best wishes to all!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

There was not much traffic coming to Waco this morning.  It might have  been due to schools being out for Thanksgiving all week.  I've also noticed more cops out looking for speeders since last weekend.

Terry, I would be excited too to have the entire family gathering for Thanksgiving.

Katherine, so glad your DH has healed enough to make your cruise possible.  Enjoy your relaxing  time at sea.

🎂 🎈HAPPY 69TH BIRTHDAY!  🥂 🍾

I would add the Challenger disaster to the list of remembering where we weremand what we were doing.

Jacqui, glad you made it safely up and down the stairs.  That is good news your foot is getting better.

Nancy, that is good news your DB was well enough to return to rehab.  I hope the new antibiotic can clear up his infection.  Loved the picture of the two beautiful birds.  Thanks.

Joy, I hope your appointment goes well, and that you can find a better flight.

Carolyn, Pepper is cute, but looks a little scared and bewildered at the new surroundings.  I'm also glad they chose a rescue.

Linda, I have a theory about resurfacing roads.  They schedule the resurfacing for every x number of years; then, do the work at that time even if it's not needed.

The case manager just came in the decision of the team evaluation.  The BP situation seems to be slowly resolving itself, they are still concerned with the heart rate going up at certain times.  They decided to push the discharge date back from 11/28 to 12/1.  That means he'll be here for another team evaluation next week. 

Lenda

Lenda, I was going to include the Challenger but then there might have been no stopping me as I have a pretty good memory and I might of gone on and on with more memorable occasions and started to bore others.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, durangoscots said:

Ahhhhh.... so sweet and a rescue. Who could resist those eyes!!!!

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Ahh bless them for saving a rescue. 👍 Pepper is very cute and I am sure will be very happy in the new furever home ♥️ 

55 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

50 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

@Cruising-along Thank you for sharing the photo of charming Pepper.  A very cute pup!  

Thank you all!  All their pups have been rescue, DS and DDIL are animal lovers and such good fur-baby parents.

Lenda @Quartzsite CruiserI do have to add that this photo was taken off the rescue site, they won't get her until later today. 🙂  Hopefully she looks a lot less scared soon.

• Like 18

6 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Thank you all!  All their pups have been rescue, DS and DDIL are animal lovers and such good fur-baby parents.

Lenda @Quartzsite CruiserI do have to add that this photo was taken off the rescue site, they won't get her until later today. 🙂  Hopefully she looks a lot less scared soon.

I sure she will be a lot less scared once she realizes that she lucked into a wonderful furever home.

Lenda

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon from almost somewhat sunny about to rain GA.  The heater is on, but not really making the house warm.  Feral Fawn went on a walk about this morning.  Mr. Bubbles got on the porch with her last night, but after a few hours, he just had to do his wanderings.  So maybe she was off looking for him, but I found her at the end of the street, where dog and I go.  Dog hates cat. Cat high tailed it home once dog and i got around the corner.😸

2009-07-25C.gif

Up early this morning for a meeting.  I mean early, that alarm went off at 6, and I work until 9:30 tonight, so a long day for me, and my left eye is twitching again.  This happened in 2020 and the doc in the box said it was too much eye strain from being on the computer all day, and I wasn't even working at that time.

• Like 20

59 minutes ago, Cat in my lap said:

Good afternoon!  @1ANGELCATHappy birthday!

I was just looking at a Copper Canyon trip with Caravan leaving from El Paso.  So I am looking forward to photos!

We got another COVID shot today - I hope it will protect us for our cruise!  

I am still deciding on insurance for our world cruise.   I think we will self insure except for medevac- except reviews of less expensive companies make them appear to be worthless. I have been happy with Allianz’s annual policy, but that is not good for trips over 90 days.  I am thinking in future b2b2b2 with time to explore in between may be best for us.  

Best wishes to all!

FYI Medjets is having a sale on Monday for its policy.  It doesn't provide medical care but will fly you anywhere you wish if you are hospitalized.  We buy it for the year.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks all! 

@1ANGELCAT happy birthday, hope you have a better year! 
@rafinmd @ger_77 @kazuwelcome home!  
Off to the dentist as I hope they can just replace a crown, argh!

I got my Nexus renewal after two years, yay! 

Best of luck at the dentist's. 

• Like 9

Good day everyone!  Warm thoughts to all as I go through the Daily and read of everybody’s trials and joyous occasions. Happy birthday @1ANGELCATand welcome home Roy @rafinmd.  Big news is the entire ship is being tested today for Covid to determine future mask wearing. No call back for us so that is good news. We’ve left St. Maarten and are heading to St. Lucia. Today we did the America’s Cup racing yacht excursion. It was fun and hard work for a lot of the “crew”. I was timekeeper and DH was a grinder helping with the jib sails.  Hope he’s not sore for the next week!  

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4

Good Morning from the Noordam

It is Wednesday morning here and I am sitting waiting for coffee. We are headed to Darwin. The pilot that has been with us the past 4 days is giving a talk today on the barrier reef . Scenery has been beautiful and unusual so should be interesting. 
     @1ANGELCATa very happy birthday to you!

@rafinmdwelcome home. 
          @kazuhope your foot is better soon

Have met so many wonderful people on this trip. The whole trip has been amazing and I am very thankful to be able to do it. 
     first time in 45 years that I am not cooking for thanksgiving. I feel I should go to the kitchen and peel apples! Lol

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Good evening. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

No freckles here, just age spots! I like cranberry relish and went for a ride to my appointment earlier.

Interesting quote. Lots of squash recipes lately. Maybe on the stew. Pass on the drink and wine.

I haven't been to Topolobampo.

It was beautiful out today, sunny and 50F. It felt warm compared to the recent freezing temperatures. I had a test early afternoon. Then spent time with BFF, who had a family emergency, which threatened to have us cancel our trip. But we will be leaving tomorrow with fingers crossed. I've decided to skip my injection tomorrow and see how the stomach goes (the Rheumatologist said I could if I wanted to). I'll be checking in on my phone or ipad, so my posts will likely be short.

@MISTER 67 Good to hear your finger is getting better.

@kazu Can't believe your luggage is still MIA. I hope the insurance company pays. And yay for getting up and down the stairs safely.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Probably good that the team is being conservative with DH's discharge. You want him to stay home when he gets discharged. 

@smitty34877 I'm pleased the family will be able to get together for Thanksgiving this year.

@rafinmd I'm glad you got home safely. I'm sure you're tuckered out. 

@Lady Hudson It's good to hear that you and DH will be able to take your cruise.

@ger_77 Welcome back. 

@1ANGELCAT Happy Birthday!

@ottahand7 Continued prayers for DB. Great photo.

@Cruising-along A cute puppy for DS and DDIL. 

@bennybear Good luck at the dentist.

@StLouisCruisers That sounds like a fun day.

@cunnorl It sounds like a great cruise.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 8

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

Barnacles

Perhaps not everyone knows that Portland, Oregon, is a seaport, even though it's pretty far inland and not used by cruise ships -- the Columbia River and the Willamette as it approaches the Columbia are navigable by oceangoing vessels, and Portland handles a lot of freight.

In the days of wooden sailing ships, captains liked to dock at Portland, because the fresh water killed the barnacles.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks all! 

@1ANGELCAT happy birthday, hope you have a better year! 
@rafinmd @ger_77 @kazuwelcome home!  
Off to the dentist as I hope they can just replace a crown, argh!

I got my Nexus renewal after two years, yay! 

Oh no Brenda!  Hope all is good with the dentist and they can fix it easily 🙏 

YAY on the Nexus 👍 

• Like 8

An article on, I think, FiveThirtyEight deals with popular side dishes for Thanksgiving, by region -- not the most popular, which might be potatoes in every region, but the one most over-represented in comparison to averages.

In the Northeast it's squash, and I will be having squash. In the southern Great Lakes, where I'm from, it's rolls, from my experience hot Pillsbury butterflake rolls from a refrigerated tube. The upper Midwest tends to eat green-bean casserole, a form of "hot dish"; the Southeast has mac and cheese; the south central region (including Texas) has cornbread.

The entire West is shown as having salad disproportionately, but I think that shows a lack of granularity in the data: California has so much population that it overwhelms the other states, and I'm not convinced that salad is as popular in, say, Wyoming. When I arranged catered dinners in Los Angeles, I was always remonstrating with the caterers that our group required twice as much salad as they were planning to serve.

• Like 15

10 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I've never had freckles . . . until recently - they're freckles, not age spots; that's my story and I'm sticking to it!  I usually add a ground up orange to the cranberries when I'm making them for Christmas or Thanksgiving, but I never really thought of it as being a relish.  Even with the cost of gas, it seems we go for a ride almost every day.

Well we're back - and this is the first morning I've had a real chance to get on the computer.  Being out of touch (note:  Premium Internet on HAL ships is a joke) means I've got lots of reading and catching up to do.  We had an enjoyable trans-Atlantic, made all the more memorable due to @kazu's organization of some amazing tours.  If you're ever on a cruise with Jacqui, be sure to sign up for whatever tour she books; you wont' be sorry.  It was wonderful being able to meet so many CC folks, putting faces to screen names.

The suitcases are unpacked, clothes put away, laundry done, and Sochi is playing her version of "Velcro Cat".  She's normally very quiet, but has been chattering to me almost non-stop;  I'm pretty sure I'm being chastised for having left her.  I don't have the heart to tell her we'll be leaving again in January.  LOL

Not a lot happening today; we're still catching up on our sleep, as we didn't get home until 3AM on Sunday morning due to flight issues in Toronto.  DH has to get a hair cut  and that's about it unless it snows - which it did yesterday and we had to shovel, but not a lot, thankfully!   I'll take a pass on today's menu suggestion, as it doesn't appeal to either of us, but will be serving parmesan crusted chicken breasts, fried rice and steamed asparagus at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for those who are hurting, cheers to all who have something to celebrate. 

Smooth Sailing!   🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

I missed your daily contribution.  Welcome home.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Messy painter/baker checking in.  Not only am I a messy baker, I am a dangerous one.  I managed to kill my hand mixer and blow a circuit in the kitchen.  The electric in the kitchen is working again, the pie smells great and the mixer is in the trash.  It was time to replace it anyways.  It is from the Harvest Gold era.  I also can't find my measuring cups.  I remember seeing them, but have no clue where I put them.  Now that I don't need them I should go back through the cupboards and they will probably jump out at me.  Also missing in action is my Harvest Gold crock pot aka slow cooker.  And my alarm clock.  Not high on anyone's list for walking off with them, but annoying all the same.  

One pie down, one to go.  Tomorrow I will make the stuffing and store it overnight in the garage along with the turkey.  I pick that up at the butcher's tomorrow.  Sue and I will make a run to Peel and Pare, a local kitchen goods store that also has the best coffee.  Then we're coming home and peeling apples.  When tomorrow's prep work is done we are binge watching The Crown season 4 since Sue hasn't seen it.  Remember, she's the Luddite that won't get WiFi.  She also only gets 3 stations on her TV.  

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

@richwmn  Rich, Thanks for the HAL Fleet locations and the opportunity to share daily news.

@rafinmd Roy, Welcome home, thanks for the Care and Celebration lists.

@1ANGELCAT  Happy Birthday.

@kazu am pleased that you managed the stairs, hope your luggage will be delivered quickly.

@Quartzsite Cruiser  best wishes to your DH for his continued improvement.  Thank you for your excellent multiquoting.

@JazzyV  Bon Voyage.

It's a lovely sunny Wednesday,  have picked my first strawberries of the season.

Best Wishes to all on the care list.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

Edited by erewhon
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1