Le Petit Chef - Worth giving up a Luminae night for?

schmenge

We will be on an 11 night Edge cruise in a Sky Suite. I have always loved the Luminae dinners in the past, but was considering one evening at Le Petit Chef to 'mix it up a bit' with something different. The menu looked fine and I am intrigued by the 'show'.

For those that have experienced both, what would you recommend?

Thanks.

I’ve done LPC 3 times now. The price is getting a tad high. The first 2 shows were fun and the food was excellent. The 3rd time about a month ago was very meh, both food and show. I would recommend either going to the original if it offered or LPC and friends, not the newest show.

Not worth the trouble on the Edge class ships.  LPC is effected by the traveling noise from the Martini Bar and the story line is spoiled by the ruckus from the bar.  However, on the Solstice class ships, the experience is delightful due to the silence outside the restaurant. I would stick with Luminae. 

2 hours ago, schmenge said:

We will be on an 11 night Edge cruise in a Sky Suite. I have always loved the Luminae dinners in the past, but was considering one evening at Le Petit Chef to 'mix it up a bit' with something different. The menu looked fine and I am intrigued by the 'show'.

Thanks.

We were also in a Suite on Apex last month and had reservations for several specialty restaurants including Le Petit Chef.

We ended up canceling Le Petit chef for reservations at the Chef's Table instead. It was by far the best dining experience we've had on a X ship in years.

Highly recommend the Chef’s Table. 👍

If you’re with a group of friends, sure. It’s seems a bit cheesy to me. Since you’ll be on Edge, personally I’d pick Eden or the Steakhouse over Le Petite Chef. Just a personal preference! 😉

• Like 1

I have been to LPC several times, mostly on M-class ships. IMHO, the food is not nearly as good as it used to be when LPC first started and the menu included bouillabaise and lobster tails. I do not go there any more because the food is no longer any better than the food in Luminae and the menu at Luminae has many more choices. However, many people go to LPC primarily for the show and I think the show is worth seeing once if you have never seen it before. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, actuarian said:

bouillabaise and lobster tails

The Celebrity app is still showing that menu for our Eclipse cruise in May, but it sounds like it may not actually be available on all (or maybe any) sailings. Someone mentioned on a recent thread that they are also trying out a new menu on Summit. I agree that LPC is way less appealing without a luxury item like lobster as a lure.

We have only dined in LPC once when we had a significant amount of non-refundable OBC to use.  While some folks love it I find the experience rather contrived.  Everyone is seated, the lights dim, the video starts as people stare down at their respective plates.  Lights brighten, that particular course is served.  But I also will say that my husband found the video more amusing than I had anticipated.  Even with our Zenith specialty restaurant discount it was a "once and done" experience for us.

We book suites, and while there are nights when Luminae doesn't appeal as much, but there are other specialty restaurants we book before LPC.

• Like 2

We were on it on Silhouette last month and it was interesting, but we wouldnt do it again. A one and done activity for us.  However, our 16/19yo are on Apex with us this month and they want to do it.  Great...  I do think they may enjoy it more than us.  I will say, your dinner courses will go as fast as the slowest person eating because they all have to be served at the same time.  So if you have younger kids, you may want to take that in account. 

Just got off the Edge and dined at LPC because I thought my 3-year-old would like the animations. I thought the food was average at best. You're better off dining at Fine Cut or Eden if you're looking for a specialty. I wouldn't return to LPC again. 

23 hours ago, Alsmez said:

The Celebrity app is still showing that menu for our Eclipse cruise in May, but it sounds like it may not actually be available on all (or maybe any) sailings. Someone mentioned on a recent thread that they are also trying out a new menu on Summit. I agree that LPC is way less appealing without a luxury item like lobster as a lure.

The lobster was not available at LPC on either of my last two cruises. One was on the Apex and the other was on the Summit.

New to LPC.  I am in the app looking at dining for my solstice cruise in February.  Scrolling through, then menu is the same on days 1-4 and changes on day 5 and says it has the boulillabaisse and lobster tail. (I assume this is when the main dining room offers lobster tail?) Day 6 Has a Spring, Summer, Fall Winter Menu and Day 7 repeats day 6.

Do these seem like accurate menus?  My son will be 3 days shy of 16 when we disembark so wanted to have a special almost birthday dinner.  Was thinking this would be the choice.

Unless anyone can sneak him into Aqua - the one restaurant that "looked cool" on Edge. 😉

Animation is alright. More for kids to be honest.

Food was not that memorable. Luminae food > Le Petit Chef menu. Also, the menu is a pre-fixe. You have to choose one of the two pre-fixe menu. (I think you can swap items between the two)

I would say it depends on the menu in Luminae. If Luminae is featuring the Jerusalem Artichoke Soup we would skip LPC. The soup is one of our favorites.

Also, for LPC, we would factor in the menu. If memory serves correctly they rotate the menu. Either one is fun and an experience. 

Absolutely yes.  We sail in suites on Celebrity.  We typically take at least a three night specialty dining package.  While Luminae is fine- the menu isn't great IMO.  The specialty dining is much better.  We enjoy breakfast in luminae, and some lunches- but if you are on a cruise more then 5 nights- I would book a few specialty restaurants.  We enjoy Le Petit Chef.  If you do not like the menu, they have alternate food- but it is a nice experience.   Enjoy.

On 12/5/2022 at 2:23 PM, schmenge said:

Thanks.

Imo its a one and done.  But I didn't like Qsine either and no interest in Wonderland on RCCL.  I'd only do it again if the deal was right (2 for 1).  Maybe. 

A

We sailed on the Equinox in September and didn't purchase the dining package.  Our first night in the MDR was not very good.  We opted to purchase the remaining nights with the UDP and did LPC on night 3.  It was amazing 😋.  They had 3 menus during our cruise and we took advantage of each new tasting they offered.  The "show" is so much fun.  I loved LPC.

• Like 1