The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday December 14th, 2022

richwmn

Maybe I can post again.  Not sure.

Something doesn’t sound right.  

We are in Roatan.  The winds are too high for us to dock.  Therefore we are going to use the tenders.

This does not sound right to me, but then again, what do I know.  I’m not the Captain.

We will see what happens.  Ship has not yet been cleared.

Will post another update when I know it.

Terri

• Like 15
  • Thanks 7

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I'm not sure what More Good Today really means - maybe it means spreading good cheer and doing good deeds more than you usually do.  We do what we can to conserve energy; all our lights are now LED's, the furnace doesn't get turned way up and goes down at night, etc.  Will pass on the roast chestnuts - tried them once and wasn't impressed.  

Well after our social whirlwind yesterday, today is a stay at home day.  Our "almost daughter" Sophia came over last night with her daddy's famous spicy noodles to put in the fridge, so while she was here, I packed up their Christmas gifts along with a big bag of Christmas Crack, Nuts & Bolts, and butter tart slice.  Now I have some baking to do, as that was the last of the butter tart slice.  

@Sharon in AZHappy Anniversary to you & Craig!

@kazumany prayers coming your way that you get out of Dodge and into San Diego without any weather issues impeding your progress.

@summer slopeI'm sorry to hear your DH is still testing positive; that's not fair!

I have lots to do today, getting a bit of baking done,  finish wrapping the gifts, then making the grocery list for things to take to Calgary with us next week for Christmas dinner.  I think we'd both like today's menu suggestion, but we're planning on having some delicious spicy noodles at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, cheers to all who have celebrations in their life.  Be safe, stay well.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone.

Wow, it is really gloomy out today.  We are supposed to get some of the fringe of that massive storm.  I think we'll be on the mostly rain end of it while Sue will get the snow and ice up her way.  I didn't get to the grocery store  yesterday and only have my list half done.  Instead I did laundry and actually ironed a few things.  

@AncientWanderer Happy Anniversary!

3fd70c4469801cf6583758a9db429c76.jpg.ed9db13f87f4ca597ef4e38cf894d326.jpg

Today's meal sounds really good to me, but I'd probably skip it due to the carb count.   You can do a lot with it.  If you don't like parsnips, leave them out and just have potato latkes.  This first recipe doesn't have the sauteed apples.  It uses homemade applesauce instead, but you can easily sautee the apples in butter, brown sugar and cinnamon.   https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/parsnip-potato-latkes-with-cinnamon-applesauce-recipe-2042144

41065244_parsniplatke1.jpeg.6e325bc4606a51233de1b352b12c0548.jpeg

Don't they look wonderful?   Nice and brown and crispy?  Oh, my!  My resolve is fading.

This next one is the ingredient list for the Good Housekeeping recipe.  That recipe is behind a pay wall and I refuse to pay it, but the recipes look good.  I think we can all figure out what to do with the ingredients.   https://www.pinterest.com/pin/71283606587737063/

1652676377_parsniplatke2.thumb.jpg.d9310eff64d33c5d73f5161f1234b6db.jpg

This one also uses applesauce.  That is a fine accompaniment if that is what you like.  I'd saute the apples myself.  https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/potato-parsnip-latkes-with-savory-applesauce-236748

1285162449_parsniplatke3.jpg.6025fbf5a38471b2562355289e89cab7.jpg

This next one just uses parsnips.  I'm sure you can add in some potato if you'd like.  The mustard cashew cream caught my eye.  https://www.deliciouseveryday.com/parsnip-latkes-mustard-cashew-cream-honey-roasted-apples/

1415728555_parsniplatke5.thumb.jpg.10ca898e312ff2fd55f71285633adb50.jpg

That should give you some choices!  So sorry Dixie @summer slope that your DH has still tested positive.  I hate this virus.

Wishing you all a wonderful day and wishing @kazu Jacqui safe flights and arrival in San Diego.  

• Like 22
  • Thanks 11

Good morning everyone. It’s way too cold for me. I’m used to being in Florida by this time but those days are a memory, at least I think. 
Off to PT for balance which is helping me a lot.

Jacqui, praying you make it today without any glitches. You deserve a good holiday cruise.

I finally got cleared by my doctor to get the covid booster so fingers crossed I don’t get Bells Palsy. Still can’t get a flu shot for that reason.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 26

@ger_77I decided to look up More Good Day.  Here is what I found.

More Good Today Day aims to encourage more people to practice kindness and generosity. It reminds people to take the time to think about the people around them and help in any way they can. This day reminds people to focus on the positive things in the world. This holiday is the perfect opportunity to make a difference in someone’s life. A small act of kindness can go a long way in making people’s lives happier.

Seems to me that most readers of the Daily celebrate More Good Day everyday!

I believe latkes are a part of a traditional Hanukkah meal.  Perhaps @kochleffel can explain more about the food to us.

Edited by 0106
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 6

21 minutes ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone.

Wow, it is really gloomy out today.  We are supposed to get some of the fringe of that massive storm.  I think we'll be on the mostly rain end of it while Sue will get the snow and ice up her way.  I didn't get to the grocery store  yesterday and only have my list half done.  Instead I did laundry and actually ironed a few things.  

@AncientWanderer Happy Anniversary!

3fd70c4469801cf6583758a9db429c76.jpg.ed9db13f87f4ca597ef4e38cf894d326.jpg

Today's meal sounds really good to me, but I'd probably skip it due to the carb count.   You can do a lot with it.  If you don't like parsnips, leave them out and just have potato latkes.  This first recipe doesn't have the sauteed apples.  It uses homemade applesauce instead, but you can easily sautee the apples in butter, brown sugar and cinnamon.   https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/parsnip-potato-latkes-with-cinnamon-applesauce-recipe-2042144

41065244_parsniplatke1.jpeg.6e325bc4606a51233de1b352b12c0548.jpeg

Don't they look wonderful?   Nice and brown and crispy?  Oh, my!  My resolve is fading.

This next one is the ingredient list for the Good Housekeeping recipe.  That recipe is behind a pay wall and I refuse to pay it, but the recipes look good.  I think we can all figure out what to do with the ingredients.   https://www.pinterest.com/pin/71283606587737063/

1652676377_parsniplatke2.thumb.jpg.d9310eff64d33c5d73f5161f1234b6db.jpg

This one also uses applesauce.  That is a fine accompaniment if that is what you like.  I'd saute the apples myself.  https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/potato-parsnip-latkes-with-savory-applesauce-236748

1285162449_parsniplatke3.jpg.6025fbf5a38471b2562355289e89cab7.jpg

This next one just uses parsnips.  I'm sure you can add in some potato if you'd like.  The mustard cashew cream caught my eye.  https://www.deliciouseveryday.com/parsnip-latkes-mustard-cashew-cream-honey-roasted-apples/

1415728555_parsniplatke5.thumb.jpg.10ca898e312ff2fd55f71285633adb50.jpg

That should give you some choices!  So sorry Dixie @summer slope that your DH has still tested positive.  I hate this virus.

Wishing you all a wonderful day and wishing @kazu Jacqui safe flights and arrival in San Diego.  

Yeah, another use for my garden parsnips! Will try them tomorrow with the ham and bean soup I made yesterday.

• Like 21

Happy Wednesday Morning Dailyites!  Guess what the weather is in Georgia this morning?  Right, cloudy and cool,   44 degrees.  Weatherperson said last night that the storms coming in will bring in WINTER.  Since the official day is next Wednesday, I guess it's OK it if actually wants to arrive early.

I am off to the farmers market today,  I decided the way to bulk up curry was to put a roasted cauliflower in it.  My hours got cut down to 23 hours this week, and I know they will be less next week.  I cant imagine telemarketing on Christmas eve?  Today is also Christmas card day, I finally found some at a book store.  I just need to do them, and decorate the tree.  We did put it in the house, and every afternoon, the ginger and tan cats sleep next to it.  I guess they are hoping for  an early delivery of kitty presents.  Not to worry, they will each get a box to play in, with catnip in it.😸 

One of our not so nice neighbors is letting their dog run wild around the neighborhood.  Being a safe place for the feral cats, I try to get the Fawn and Bubbles  in the porch at night, but last night could only find Fawn.  This morning Bubbles showed up limping.  I am hoping he gets on the porch and stays there.  That darn dog was barking until 1:30, and was the first thing I heard this morning at 7.  I have complained to the neighborhood association, but nothing has been done.   And if we call animal control. well they show up in a few hours, cops?  they show the next day.  We are unincorporated, and are at the mercy of the county...

Have a great day,!  Enjoy your weather, what ever exciting adventure it brings!

blogger-image-1815531927.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

@lindaler I believe you are on the Grand South America and have a favor to ask.  Pastor Ed Voosen will be the Protestant Chaplain on your voyage.  Please tell him Hi from Roy from Maryland.

He has been chaplain on most of Crystal's world voyages and I have sailed with him (and his wife Ruth) several times.

Roy

I will do that Roy. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Good morning friends!  It's a very nice morning here in Ocho Rios, at least from the upper deck railing of the Volendam it is.  A little later we will walk over to shore and see if there's anything to look at.  I'm sorry to hear @summer slopeDixie's DH is positive again today.  Big surprise after the negative test he took the other day.  Major bummer!

Yesterday we, and the front desk, came up with a scenario where I was on the internet on my phone and DH and many others couldn't get on at all.  He signs out of the Navigator app on his laptop each day and the log in feature would not work yesterday.  Since I just leave my Iphone signed into Navigator app I was still signed into the internet and it worked all day and evening.  I know I should log out but I always forget to.  Later in the day the TV went out for about 15 minutes, then it came back on again.  This morning when we turned on the TV, it asked which language we wanted to use, then went right into the safety drill you must watch on embarkation day!  So we had to run through that before we could watch anything else.

In addition yesterday in the late afternoon we started hearing an odd noise every ten seconds sort of like a "bloop" noise.  After 10 minutes we notified Joanna (again! what a day she had!) and they sent our room steward but he didn't know what to do, so finally Joanna came down and listened.  She said they were trying to figure it out but didn't know what it was.  After several hours of this we left for dinner (and Ocean Bar beforehand).  When we returned the noise had stopped for the night.  Thank goodness!  Hopefully it doesn't start up again anytime soon.

DD is doing fine after her foot surgery.  At least she was last night.  She had it elevated, iced and was taking pain meds as scheduled.  Thank you everyone who wished her well as I'm sure she would appreciate knowing you cared.

Hoping to hear Jacqui made it out of town and is on her way to her next cruise from San Diego.  We are cheering you on!!  Terry @smitty34877good luck with the hip replacement on the 19th.  That is really fast scheduling! 

The port of Aomori, Japan was shown here last on April 9, 2021 and here is a link to that date to retrieve any photos.  I have not been there yet.

Have a nice day everyone!

• Like 26

Good hump day morning!   Today is a red letter day for us Luggage Forwarding is picking up our Grand SA bags though we are going to drop them off at a local UPS store so we can leave the house.

Thanks for the Daily Reports @richwmn.   There is no energy conservation going on here.  The second furnace technician showed up yesterday and put in a new blower and the system promptly burned it out.  We are going to have to bite the bullet and replace our 22 year old furnace.   The new one will be much more efficient and I would imagine a wee bit quieter.  We are heating the house with the gas fireplace and space heaters so we aren't cold.  Gratefully the temperatures will remain above freezing until the installation tomorrow.   I have never had roast chestnuts only in stuffing.   I will pass on the parsnip latkes, pass on the bitter cocktail and would like to try the NY State Merlot.    Looking forward to photos of Aomari.

Thanks for the care and celebrations reports.  Prayers for the people in Ukraine and those needing them.  @summer slopeI am glad you have been freed from Covid jail and I hope your DH is freed tomorrow.  @kazu I sure hope that you can get to San Diego today.   

@AncientWanderer and @Sharon in AZ Happy Anniversary!!   🍾

331,996 Happy Anniversary Stock Photos - Free & Royalty-Free Stock Photos  from Dreamstime

• Like 25

46 minutes ago, 0106 said:

Perhaps @kochleffel can explain more about the food to us.

The dominant story of Hanukkah ends with rededicating the Temple and finding that there is only one small bottle of proper oil for lighting the ner tamid (perpetual lamp), enough to fuel it for one day but through a miracle it lasts for eight days, until more can be prepared.

As a result, it's customary to celebrate Hanukkah with foods fried in oil. In central and eastern Europe, that meant potato pancakes, shallow-fried, so they are the archetypal Hanukkah food for many of us. There is a different tradition in the Middle East, where the preferred fried food is jelly doughnuts. This is considered an authentic Middle Eastern tradition, but jelly doughnuts were and are popular in central and eastern Europe, too, so I'm not sure. (When JFK said, "Ich bin ein Berliner," he wanted to say, "I am a Berliner," but "Ich bin Berliner" would have been correct. "Ein Berliner" sounded to most Germans as if he had called himself a filled doughnut.

Incidentally, not specific to either pancakes or doughnuts, in French cooking à la juive, "Jewish style," means fried in oil (instead of pork fat).

The miracle-of-the-oil story is a late addition, not mentioned in II Maccabees or any other, older history. There are several other explanations given for an eight-day celebration, but the one I consider most likely is that the original dedication of the Temple lasted eight days, so the rededication did also. Another reasonable explanation is that it was a delayed celebration of Sukkot, a harvest festival, and olives (for oil) are the last crop harvested the fall.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 13

20 minutes ago, lindaler said:

Sandi, @StLouisCruisers, I just wanted to say thank you for taking time from you cruise to answer some questions. I'm glad you were able to get on line to do that. They must have known how nice you were being to answer and just let you be on the internet.

No problem Linda.  Hoping and praying for a wonderful, stress free journey for you!  You deserve it!

Also, forgot to say to Sharon and Craig, happy anniversary @Sharon in AZ!!!

• Like 17

Good morning all,

We’re back to blue skies and “cold” weather (for us). I won’t say how cold, as I don’t want to make anyone laugh. We did finally get rain, and the rain barrels are full. And with the soil being so wet, we end up letting the “blow-by” from the sink go down the drain. 

Today I should be able to finish my photo scanning and organizing project. The hall closet should then be close to done. 

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

We are in Roatan.  The winds are too high for us to dock.  Therefore we are going to use the tenders.

This does not sound right to me, but then again, what do I know.  I’m not the Captain.

Terri

When we were in Ush 10 years ago the wind was howling and we were told Veendam was too large for her assigned (windward) spot on the dock. So we would tender. (At that time, leeward would have been within the dock rating, but the regular ships were there.) The plan was to anchor, launch the tenders in the lee of the ship, then when the wind died down in the afternoon, take her spot on the pier. So maybe that’s what’s going on.

(In our case, the wind picked up before the first group went ashore, they closed the harbor and we headed to Antarctica a half day earlier. As they were preparing to leave, I was on the deck above the Crows Nest and was blown about a foot backwards in a puddle. It suddenly grew into quite a blow.)

Have a great day everyone!

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Terri

Take care and stay safe Terri.

Graham.

• Like 12

I'm in favor of energy conservation but I think we need it more than one day a year. I like chestnuts but have never roasted them over an open fire. I haven't been to Aomori or anywhere in Japan; a Celebrity cruise that would have embarked from Yokohama in 2021 was cancelled.

I've already posted about latkes; would probably like them with parsnip, but if it's not Hanukkah I'd rather have Roy's alternative. Actual dinner tonight might be cauliflower-crust pizza.

Reservations for the Hanukkah dinner topped out at 65. Our kitchen manager had predicted 64 and was the closest, but there's no prize. There is some state of alarm, chiefly because a predicted storm could interfere with cooking on Friday, plus a trained chef who tested the main-course recipe says that it will be inedible. This surprises me, because it's a family adaptation of a well-known recipe that I have used myself, but maybe the adaptation isn't a good one, although the family is known for good cooking.

987413006_toocold.thumb.jpg.0a4ed41a5eaf88295b4621af34f97416.jpg

• Like 23
  • Haha 5

Good morning from a sunny and cool central Texas.  Today is not my favorite day because it's house cleaning day.  I got up early and got half ofthe house clean.  All that's left is the kitchen, bedroom and master bath.

We try to conserve energy every day and to do good everyday.  Roasted chestnuts have never appealed to me, but when I think of them, I think of NYC.

I like the quote, but we could all use a little more pixie dust.

We'll pass on the meal and the drink, but I would like to try the wine.

Aomori is another Japanese port we have not visited.

@summer slope  Dixie, what a bummer that DH is still testing positive.  I'm glad you are still negative.

@kazu  Jacqui, i hope your flight is on time and all your flights are hassle free.

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, enjoy your time on shore later today.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, if the wind is blowing from the shore it might be too strong of the ship to pull along side the dock and hold until the lines are tied.  

@AncientWanderer  🎉 💞 HAPPY ANNIVERSARY  🥂 🍾

@Sharon in AZ  🎈💐 HAPPY ANNIVERSARY  🥂 🍾

@kochleffel  I hope the storm doesn't interfere with the cooking or the dinner, and that the main course can be made edible.

Lenda

• Like 24

Just in case you need help with menu planning, here's an article about the most and least popular holidays foods, for the country as a whole and by state. I'm surprised to see that biscuits are the most popular Thanksgiving food in New York, since in this part of the country we're terrible at making them. Probably they're out of a tube. And I was surprised by the unpopularity of persimmon pudding; if persimmons grew wild here it would be my favorite.

To determine the most and least popular holiday foods across the country, we surveyed over 2,100 Americans, asking their opinions on Thanksgiving and Christmas foods, including entrees, sides, desserts, drinks, and even vegan alternatives. Read on to discover what we found.

Key Findings

1. The least popular Thanksgiving foods are candied yams and sweet potato pie.
  2. The least popular Christmas foods are persimmon pudding and fruitcake.
  3. When it comes to vegan choices, 45% are willing to try a vegan turkey alternative this year.
  4. With costs top of mind, 69% will search for budget-friendly holiday meal options due to higher food prices.

https://crestline.com/c/most-popular-holiday-foods

Edited by kochleffel
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 3

Just a quick post.  I am at Dodge’s airport (as in get out of Dodge) awaiting my 1st plane of 3.

I’ll come back later when I have longer lay over time assuming I can get through U.S. Customs 😉. I downloaded the Mobile Passport App so hopefully it will be of some assistance 🤞 

• Like 27
  • Thanks 8