Full diagnostic search?

birdylady

First, let me say, I’m getting my popcorn ready.

I just heard from someone I know that got off a ship today and we’re pulled aside for a ‘full diagnostic search’.  They said it included going through all their luggage toiletries, etc..  and required the person to open all their electronics for electronic testing.   Anyone ever hear of this?   Supposedly it’s random, but that’s pretty invasive random searching.

just curious 

thanx

To clarify. A couple (aka, husband and wife) that were disembarking this morning at PC.  They are frequent cruisers so I doubt they were smuggling anything (intentionally or otherwise).  When they were asked to step aside they thought it might have been in regards to extra drink charges.  Nope.   I joked maybe a cartel kingpin by the same name (really not likely).  They asked why he was pulled for this and they were told they are not allowed to say how or why he was pulled.

just find this so extreme of a search and extra time.  Thankfully they didn’t have a plane to catch.   Does make think twice about early flights though.

hope this helps 

Also, it is embarking or debarking.

2 minutes ago, birdylady said:

To clarify. A couple (aka, husband and wife) that were disembarking this morning at PC.  They are frequent cruisers so I doubt they were smuggling anything (intentionally or otherwise).  When they were asked to step aside they thought it might have been in regards to extra drink charges.  Nope.   I joked maybe a cartel kingpin by the same name (really not likely).  They asked why he was pulled for this and they were told they are not allowed to say how or why he was pulled.

just find this so extreme of a search and extra time.  Thankfully they didn’t have a plane to catch.   Does make think twice about early flights though.

hope this helps 

Same happened to my son and he was bonged as he was getting off. Security pulled him aside.  DL concierge asked him to follow him, but he would not tell him the reason.   Like it's a big damn secret.  He had purchased a watch and I assume that Royal informed Customs of such purchase.  He paid his fine, but Customs did not go thru the family bags.

I have never in 17 years of cruising heard of this happening.   They can say it's random, but that doesn't mean it was.  It would be such an enormous waste of time and resources to do this randomly.  It's the kind of thing they do when they suspect someone is smuggling in contraband.   We have a friend who is CBP and he has told us a few stories.   It's amazing what some people try to smuggle in and we're not talking drugs.  Lots of animal and agricultural products.

• Like 1

I cannot speak to the frequency of this happening, but my company issued a notice a couple of years ago warning business travelers about this practice at CBP.  We were informed not to carry confidential information on our computers, only access that information through our secured servers and VPNs.  If we were pulled aside, we were to comply to their requests to open our electronic devices for their inspection.  Upon return to the office or plant, to immediately surrender our computer to IT and not to turn it on connected to our network.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, birdylady said:

hope this helps 

Without going into details of my work history, I can tell you with 100% certainty this wasn’t a random search. I wouldn’t even begin to guess why though, since there are countless reasons why a search would be conducted at the end of a cruise. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, birdylady said:

CBP is not allowed to disclose to them what red flagged them in the system CBP uses to track border crossings.  All they can do is provide an informational pamphlet on the system itself.  

• Like 1

Once years ago, while going through Customs in Puerto Rico.

Wife and niece went through, but not me, ???  No problem with the body scan but I was wanded a few more times, had my luggage opened and inspected and had to open up all electronics and remove the batteries. ?

2 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Heard from "Someone" ?   Can you be more specific?    Someone who sailed?  Someone who works on board a ship?  Someone who works at the port? Someone who read it on the internet?   How about Ship/Port/etc 

M

LOL...basic important rules of news reporting.   Where, when, who, what?   😄 

Or in this case...what ship, what port would help.  😉 

Edited by island lady

On a rt cruise out of California many years ago we were stopped and questioned.  Royal had probably told them about jewelry bought onboard.   It was on my custom's form so after a few a questions we were released. No I wasn't over limits.

Another time coming into San Juan cbp was questioning everyone so line crawled.  When they got to us they decided i needed a form for some jewelry I bought in Grand Cayman.  Again we declared it but there was this form that the jeweler should have given us. They took us to a separate room. They kept pushing. I offered to get back on the ship for another cruise to get the form.  Eventually they found a blank form for us to fill out. Done. We left.  Felt sorry for the porter who had our luggage and stuck with us.  And btw the piece of jewelry was being made in the US and shipped from the US!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Magicat said:

I cannot speak to the frequency of this happening, but my company issued a notice a couple of years ago warning business travelers about this practice at CBP.  We were informed not to carry confidential information on our computers, only access that information through our secured servers and VPNs.  If we were pulled aside, we were to comply to their requests to open our electronic devices for their inspection.  Upon return to the office or plant, to immediately surrender our computer to IT and not to turn it on connected to our network.  

As I read your story it makes me wonder if you work for The Bruce Nuclear or something comparable. If you are not allowed to say a thumbs up will suffice. 😉

• Haha 1

The one solo cruise I have been on I was stopped and detained by CBP for no reason. It was a hour and 45 minute process. I was taken to a back room where I sat for awhile. They came in and searched me and then went through everything in my luggage. Then they asked a bunch of questions and apparently were trying to confirm my identity before letting me go. Between that and always being selected for additional screening by TSA I ponied up for Global Entry and have never been hassled by CBP or TSA again.

Edited by wreckem2013

6 minutes ago, wreckem2013 said:

The one solo cruise I have been on I was stopped and detained by CBP for no reason. It was a hour and 45 minute process. I was taken to a back room where I sat for awhile. They came in and searched me and then went through everything in my luggage. Then they asked a bunch of questions and apparently were trying to confirm my identity before letting me go. Between that and always being selected for additional screening by TSA I ponied up for Global Entry and have never been hassled by CBP or TSA again.

More than likely someone with a similar or same name triggered something.  It's why they were confirming your identity.  Global Entry means they don't have to.  Global entry can be revoked if someone does something in the future that makes them a risk.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

As I read your story it makes me wonder if you work for The Bruce Nuclear or something comparable. If you are not allowed to say a thumbs up will suffice. 😉

Automotive industry in the advanced product design.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BND said:

More than likely someone with a similar or same name triggered something.  It's why they were confirming your identity.  Global Entry means they don't have to.  Global entry can be revoked if someone does something in the future that makes them a risk.  

A friend of ours has the same name as the guy that put a bomb in his shoes a few years ago on a plane. Coming back from a cruise he got pulled aside by Customs because of his name and was searched and questioned. 

26 minutes ago, Magicat said:

Automotive industry in the advanced product design.  

As a car nut I’d love to buy you a beer at the pub, even if to gloss over the automotive world. The reason why I mentioned the Bruce is I got to tour it during this September as part of the Cobble Beach Concours, with about 50 people.  The level of security there was high, and that’s why I pictured you there with your explanation. Now I envision you at Multimatic. 🤔😉😁