The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday April 10th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

Today is Golfer's Day, National Farm Animals Day, and National Siblings Day

To be able to look back upon one's past life with satisfaction is to live twice. - John Dalberg-Acton

Meal Suggestion for today - Avocado Crab Boats
Drink of the Day - Legent Sea New Fashioned
Wine of the Day - Wolf Blass Yellow Label Shiraz, Barossa Valley, Australia
Destination of the Day - Marseille, France Riviera

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Cartagena Colombia eta 4-12

Koningsdam

Dry Dock Vigor Ship Yard until 4/12

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea destination Grand Turk, Turks and Caicos eta 4-11 

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Ponta Delgada, Sao Miguel Island, Azores Portugal eta 4-15

Oosterdam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 07:00 - 16:00

Rotterdam

At Sea destination Plymouth, England eta 4-16

Volendam

Philipsburg, St. Maarten 0800-1700

Zaandam

Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala 10:00 - 20:00

Zuiderdam

Lisbon, Portugal 10:00 - 21:00

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Noumea, New Caledonia 09:00 - 18:00

Westerdam

Omaezaki, Japan 07:00-16:00

image.thumb.png.ef580f684059d640473f353fa5364342.png

image.thumb.png.c8dc97e3657ec233851dca5df8c441fe.png

Sandi for Rich

• Like 23
  • Thanks 14

Today in history:

1858 "Big Ben", a 13.76 tonne bell, is recast at the Whitechapel Bell Foundry

Greetings from Lisbon. It is 10:00am here and all aboard isn't until 8:30pm. This is a day of memories for me. I stayed here for 3 days, not to far from the cruise port, in September 2017. I hope everyone has a good week!

• Like 31
  • Thanks 6

Thank you Sandi for hosting Today's fleet reports and Daily.

It is 52°F and sunny here at 10.05am in the UK.

I miss my Golf days and would encourage everyone to take golf up if they are fit.

It must be nice if you have lovely siblings.

To look back on your life and be proud of what you did is a great goal.

Today's food sounds good.

We have been to Marseille many times on a cruise.

Sending good wishes to all my Dailyite friends.

Graham.

Screenshot_20230410_101406.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 5

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info SLC.

All my prior farm animals will be happy that there is a day set aside for them. Does this mean we eat no meats today ?

And Golfer’s Day. Y’all may not believe this but RNB has been playing around, golf of course, for more than 65 years! and still love to play!

• Like 26

Good morning friends!  I hope everyone had an enjoyable weekend.  Here it is 43F and we will see a high of 64 with partly cloudy skies.  At this very moment the weather person says no more rain until Friday but I'll believe it when I see it.  After all, I'm from Missouri, the "Show Me" state!😉

Thank you to Rich @richwmn for our Fleet Report and Daily information.  Today he is in wonderful Lisbon.  Interesting fact about Big Ben, Rich.  Our days to celebrate include Golfer's Day, National Farm Animals Day and National Siblings Day.  A salute to our golfers especially those at the Master's Tournament this past weekend.  I'm glad they were able to get all the play in and won't announce who won in case someone hasn't found out the results yet.  Don't want to spoil!  This morning we are meeting two gentlemen at the golf club a very short distance from our house to discuss their driving us to and from the airport on our next cruise.  One offers that service for a fee and the other is his substitute when he is not able to do the driving such as when he's on vacation.  The second one has a golf game right after our meet up and we wouldn't want him to be late.

Next is National Farm Animals Day.  I've learned a lot about farm animals by watching The Incredible Dr. Pol.  I sure wouldn't want that job!  Dr. Pol is 80 years old so I wonder how long he can continue that very physical job?  Anyway, good for the farm animals.  And finally National Siblings Day.  Three cheers🎉 for our siblings who remain and a prayer for those who are gone.  🙏

Interesting quote this morning.  The meal of the day is Avocado Crab Boats.  I'm sure Debbie @dfish can make them look so delicious we'll be running out to buy avocado!  The drink is a new version of the Old Fashioned I suppose and the Shiraz from Australia will please many of you red wine drinkers.  Thanks in advance to Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for their input on them.  

Prayers this morning for our Care list people.  🙏  Hoping everyone has good news on that front soon.  Congratulations to everyone on the Celebration list.  Hope all the cruises are going smoothly.  We'll enjoy any reports any of you can send back to us.  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for handling that for Roy, and we hope he is up to the job again soon.🥂🎉

Today's port is Marseille on the French Riviera, a very popular spot on the Mediterranean cruises.  In fact Marseille was on my first Med cruise a long time ago.  We have had that port here only once before on May 31, 2021.  Below is the link to that date so everyone can present their photos again.  There are lots of new people on the Daily who would love to see them I'm sure.  Thank you in advance!

We've been to Marseille in 2008 (Emerald Princess), 2012 (Crown Princess), and 2019 (Emerald again).  The last time there was on our family cruise celebrating our 50th anniversary.  What a fabulous experience that was!

In looking back on our visits to Marseille I see that we've spent a lot of time outside the city of Marseille visiting the countryside of Provence and the little villages.  On our last visit we did see some of Marseille itself.  

In 2008 we took of tour of Provence that included Lourmarin.  I remember the typical pale blue shutters on the stone houses.  enhance

A street in Lourmarinenhance

Next was a drive through Bonnieux.  I recall the narrow road along a cliff.  Lovely views from there.enhance

Waiting for someone to get out of our way.enhance

On our way to our next village we passed this bridge called Pont Julien which has stood for nearly two thousand years.  enhance

Next was Gordes which also on a hillside.  It was really beautiful in person.  I hope these photos do it justice.enhance

enhance

This area is known for their stone walls and olive trees, too.  Both are seen here.enhance

From there we headed to L'Isle-sur-Sorgue which is known for its waterways and antique shops.enhance

enhance

In 2012 I took a tour of Cassis, the fishing village near Marseille.  Along the way.enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

In 2019 on our family cruise stop in Marseille some of us went to Aix-en-Provence and back to Marseille to tour Notre Dame de la Garde.  The remainder went on a boat trip to Calanques National Park where they could swim and go snorkeling.  Then they went to Vieux-Port in Marseille for a little lunch at a restaurant of their choice.

Aix-en-Provence was a lot bigger than I normally like.  There were some nice places there to tour though.enhance

enhance

enhance

Heading back to Marseille for our tour of the cathedral.  This is the way up so beware if you can't do steps!enhance

Almost there.enhance

The cathedral is at the top of the tallest hill so there are stellar views of Marseille.enhance

enhance

Views inside Notre-Dame de la Gardeenhance

enhance

enhance

Our next stop would be at Vieux-Port or Old Port seen below from the cathedral.enhance

Once at the port we strolled the streets and marina in the hot, hot sun for a while, then stopped at a covered patio and had cold drinks at a cafe.  There's Notre-Dame up on the hill.enhance

enhance

The family members who went on the boat tour of the Calanques National Park, they were able to dip into the water to cool off!  enhance

enhance

Then they ended up back at the Vieux-Port for lunch.enhance

enhance

DGS Ren at 12 years old.  That's quite a pizza for one kid but you know how boys eat!enhance

I wouldn't have minded being on their tour at all.  Looks like fun!

Off to the treadmill so I wish everyone here a safe day and a Motivated Monday!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 11

Today’s Care list:

Roy recovering from pneumonia and working on getting stronger

Tupper10 recovering from back surgery

Cruising-along and recovering from Covid

Cruzn single’s DSS’s kidney surgery 4/11

Luvteaching’s DH in the hospital

Everyone affected by storms and tornados

Nashville school shooting victims

Citizens of Ukraine

From the rotation:

Summer slope’s friend with a brain injury

StLouisCruiser’s DB with pulmonary fibrosis

Scrapnana getting chemotherapy

NextOne needing valve surgery

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Celebrations of Passover and Ramadan

Cute Miss Elliot Rose turning 6 months old

Cruising-along and DH feeling better

Tupper10’s new baby granddaughter!

Luvteaching’s DH showing slow improvement

Many Dailyites cruising or with upcoming cruises

5 Days for Sharon in AZ (Volendam 4/15 to 5/17)

5 Days for AV8rix (Volendam 4/15 to 5/6)

5 Days for TiogaCruiser (Volendam 4/15 to 5/2)

6 Days for GTVCRUISER (NCL Jewel 4/16 to 4/23)

Cruzn Single (Rotterdam to 4/19), Vict0riann (Rotterdam to 4/19), aliaschief & DWAliaschief (Eurodam to 4/28) Kplady (Grand Princess to 4/28), Sailingdutchy (Rotterdam to 4/29), St Pete Cruiser (Noordam to 5/2), Overhead Fred’s Anniversary cruise (Rotterdam to 5/6), USN59-79 (Westerdam to 5/7), and Cat in My Lap, Gail&Marty, Richwmn and HorizonChaser1957 (Zuiderdam to 5/12) at sea

• Like 20
  • Thanks 11

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Report.

A cool clear morning, but it's supposed to warm up to 16°C (61°F) this afternoon, maybe I'll work in the garden.

An interesting collection of days.  Hubby and I occasionally golf.  Farm animals should be treated humanely.  I still have 2 siblings, it sometimes seem that we don't see each other as much as we should, but we live in different cities.  I hope we can get together again soon.

I love the quote.

I'll pass on the meal suggestion.  I think I'd like the drink, I know I like the wine.

I haven't been to Marseille, maybe someday.

Prayers for everyone.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful Monday.

Stay safe.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone.  It will be a nice day here for golfers.  Farm animals deserve today, the provide so much for us.  Hats off to all of you (our) siblings.  Great quote.  The meal suggestion sounds great.  I’ll pass on the drink though.  I haven’t beer to today’s port yet.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list today.  Cheers to those of you celebrating happy events!

• Like 23

Thank you Rich, Sandi, Vanessa, Debbie, Dixie, and Ann.  A cold morning but with rising temperatures through the week.  My parents both grew up on farms and most of my vacations in my youth were around farm animals.  I've tried golf but stand too close to the ball, particularly AFTER hitting it.  My only sibling was a dedicated golfer but sadly passed over 2 years ago.  I don't think I have been to Marseille.  The quote is thought provoking.  I know Big Ben is quite majestic.  I'll pass on the crabs.  My alternative is Chilled Sour Cherry Soup, Fruit Cup Au Natural and Oven Roasted Beef Tenderloin as served on MS Amsterdam April 10, 2014.

Roy

• Like 28

Legend Sea New Fashioned cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts Legent® Bourbon
½ part Salted Honey Syrup
3 dashes Angostura® Bitters
3 dashes Orange Bitters
Garnish: Nori Strip
Salted Honey Syrup: 6 parts
Raw Honey
2 parts Water
½ tsp Salt

Instructions
Add all ingredients into an empty mixing glass and stir until salted honey syrup is dissolved. Once dissolved, add ice to the glass and stir until well chilled. Strain into a large rocks glass over fresh ice. Skewer a rolled piece of nori to garnish.

To make Salted Honey Syrup: Heat all ingredients gently on a stove top. Stir constantly until salt and honey have dissolved, do NOT boil. Allow to cool and store for future use in a sealed bottle. Be sure to shake well before use.

Screenshot 2023-04-10 at 7.02.32 AM.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 8

Ahoy! Just waking up and will be heading to Neptune for morning coffee. Boarding yesterday was super fast and efficient. Attended Neptune Lounge reception then headed to Pinnacle Bar for pre dinner libations. We had a table for two at late fixed dining. Service was prompt and food was served warm and tasty. I chose the rustic lasagna that has been debated so much on CC. Huge serving and I thought it was very good. Our servers from Indonesia were honoring Ramadan by fasting.

Seems to be quite a few folks who are from Vancouver, Seattle and San Diego which will make for easy travel disembarkations.

Just peaked out the window too a beautiful sunrise and a Carnival ship that is sailing parallel to us.

Demographics onboard we’re old but feeling young. Definitely a mature group of Mariners and sense that some are new to cruising.

Will test out WiFi and see if pics will send.

Have a great week everyone and thanks for the Reports.

Bruce

image.jpeg.59964dae7a1dbd4a3a966b2116fb1f81.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f1a2d47afa78942405e201254a0064b1.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.af49aafbedecae4bd656411d69940af6.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e85e997a5e46aafc93cacf73317a3f92.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.6faa958801e39f2b039f914584e52672.jpeg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 6

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily Sandi & Rich! It is raining! Finally. After a full day of wild winds and fine mist, the rain arrived just after 10 last night. Let’s just say the winds were so strong yesterday, I came home from Bindi walks with a new hairdo. The winds continue today and more rain. I know our firefighters are happy. 

Vanessa, thank your for capturing and sharing our happenings!  Just the gym, Bindi walks, chores, and possibly some seed planting. 

What do Peeps do the day after Easter?

E96C2052-B914-4740-979D-3CCF7B8B3171.jpeg.1383a0b02635d73f47f65fb1cf112b3b.jpeg

9AC7D5B9-BE92-4C3A-9FB7-78EC12CF2F21.jpeg.a06fa2ee5348a44d3fe5bf2abf6f5591.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Get well & stay well everyone!

Wolf Blass Yellow Label Shiraz, Barossa Valley, Australia

An elusive Australian wine unless you live in Eastern Europe, New Zealand or Australia. I did find one online distributor that shipped the 2016 vintage to me.  No critic reviews, but consumers rate it good - very good. The 2020 vintage price starts at $8.74 - if you can find it. 

Distributor notes

The heartland of Wolf Blass winemaking, Yellow Label has delivered exceptional quality for over 40 years through an outstanding range of South Australian wines. Selected batches of fruit from premium South Australian shiraz vineyards are brought together in a well-structured wine displaying attractive berry and spice characters supported by subtle creamy oak and finishing with fine, velvety tannins.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 6

13 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Ahoy! Just waking up and will be heading to Neptune for morning coffee. Boarding yesterday was super fast and efficient. Attended Neptune Lounge reception then headed to Pinnacle Bar for pre dinner libations. We had a table for two at late fixed dining. Service was prompt and food was served warm and tasty. I chose the rustic lasagna that has been debated so much on CC. Huge serving and I thought it was very good. Our servers from Indonesia were honoring Ramadan by fasting.

Seems to be quite a few folks who are from Vancouver, Seattle and San Diego which will make for easy travel disembarkations.

Just peaked out the window too a beautiful sunrise and a Carnival ship that is sailing parallel to us.

Demographics onboard we’re old but feeling young. Definitely a mature group of Mariners and sense that some are new to cruising.

Will test out WiFi and see if pics will send.

Have a great week everyone and thanks for the Reports.

Bruce

image.jpeg.59964dae7a1dbd4a3a966b2116fb1f81.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f1a2d47afa78942405e201254a0064b1.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.af49aafbedecae4bd656411d69940af6.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e85e997a5e46aafc93cacf73317a3f92.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.6faa958801e39f2b039f914584e52672.jpeg

The nearby Carnival ship is the Horizon.  There is another ship, Carnival Celebration ahead of you both.  Thanks for the memes today and I hope the cruise (food and all) continues to go well.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, JazzyV said:

5 Days for Sharon in AZ (Volendam 4/15 to 5/17)

5 Days for AV8rix (Volendam 4/15 to 5/6)

5 Days for TiogaCruiser (Volendam 4/15 to 5/2)

Good morning Vanessa and thank you for putting our Daily group on the Celebration List. Could you also add @Dismomx5?  She and her DH are sailing on the Volendam until 5/6.  We have a Daily get together set up and I’m looking forward to seeing Susan @AV8rix again and meeting @TiogaCruiser and @Dismomx5.  Jane @lazey1 joins the ship on 5/2 in San Diego and it’ll be nice to see her again plus go on several excursions together. 

Thank you for all the work you do to keep the lists up to date!

• Like 25

Good morning to all the Dailyites.  Happy Monday after Easter!

Thank you to @StLouisCruisers Sandi for getting us going this morning and to @JazzyV Vanessa for our lists.  Prayers for those on the Cares List and Cheers to those celebrating a special event or cruising.

Thank you also to Dixie @summer slope and in advance to Debbie @dfish as well as Ann @cat shepard for your contributions in the Food and Beverage Department.

Interesting collection of days.  i am not a Golfer, nor do I intend to be.  When we first moved down here, I started to take lessons.  I decided that this was not a sport I wanted to pursue and just gave up.

As for Farm Animals, they are an important part of our lives.  They provide us with our nourishment.

As for National Siblings Day, I have three of the Half variation.  However, I have not seen them in years, nor do I hear from them.  I wish it were different, but I do not think it will change, There is no animosity just the fact that I did not know them until adulthood and there is no bond.  

i have been to Marseille at least twice.  The first time I was there we went on a tram tour up to Norte Dame de la Garde and it was a lovely day.  

The next time we were there was last Spring, specifically, on May 2. Since May 1 was on a Sunday, their May Day was celebrated on May 2 and everything was closed.  I tried to find a store to buy some Herbs de Provence and could not find one that was open.

Here is a photo of the view from our stateroom.

4C4D8DC3-3E44-4308-8BF7-679FB4F84894.jpeg

606E5EF8-FFE4-4A99-90D2-B9EF30AB468B.jpeg

CA5A1945-99EA-4547-9BDE-A4EA543BA209.jpeg

0CD4BD67-03C5-4F4D-837C-9B8DF2371E31.jpeg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4

Sandi, thank you for the beautiful photos of Marseille and environs.  Those charming streetside cafes make me miss France.  Thanks for sharing the photo if young Ren too. 

Thanks for starting us off everyday our terrific Daily reporters!    I will pass on the boats, not an avocado fan, pass on the cocktail , too much bitters and the wine kind of looks like a migraine.  Never have tried it though.   Continued prayers for all on our care list and for the people of Ukraine.

We have a busy morning with a trip to Morgan Stanley and then Walmart for lawn treatments and lots of diet soda, and lettuce for our diets.   Have a wonderful Monday!   Nancy 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

HoppyPassover.thumb.jpg.5e4c6f3ea99aa1f4a06ad7cecc32b8d7.jpg

I took a golf class in college and didn't enjoy it. I thought it would be outdoors, but most of the sessions took place at an indoor driving range--the campus had a three-hole golf course, but was in a climate where it rained almost every day that term. Up the road from me is Farm Sanctuary, a rescue for farm animals. I approve of siblings in general, but don't have any.

I have avocados! But crab doesn't figure in my plans. Not sure about the drink but I'll mention having found a recipe for a vegan (imitation) tuna salad, based on mashed chickpeas, that used nori to impart a fishy flavor. I tend to like Shiraz and sometimes buy the Banrock Station brand (cardboardeaux). In the south of France, Cannes is the only port I've visited.

I'm working today and will go to the office in the morning instead of just the afternoon, in order to work on a mailing list for something that needs to be sent soon.

I mentioned the taste of rye matzah yesterday. There is a general feeling that no matzah has any flavor.

matzohtaste.thumb.jpg.ccb10bb2d91ee3ce5c07754615f58446.jpg

In reality, it's possible to tell different brands apart. I prefer the Yehuda brand, from Israel, but it didn't arrive in time and this year I have Streit's plain matzah, from NYS, which is also good. Manischewitz is the dominant brand in the U.S. and my only source for whole-wheat matzah. Osem, from a major food company in Israel, is the least desirable, imo.

eggshell.jpg.8ce2525baacfb1580c6828acc3444cdf.jpg

• Like 26
  • Haha 10

Good morning, everyone!  

It is shaping up to be another beautiful day here in mid-Michigan.  We have sunny skies and we'll be flirting with 70 again today.  I'm looking forward to my morning walk in the milder temperatures.  Yesterday Sue and I took advantage of the nice weather and did a lot of clean up out in the yard.  There is still more to do as we found where the previous owners were disposing of their kitty litter.  Apparently, it went in the back in the same pile with everything else.  We made a good dent in that and it won't take too much more to finish the job.  Maybe this afternoon.

Today's meal reminds me of a dish that was made for me in Spain.  I was living with a Spanish family Gloria used to work as a cook in a restaurant.  Oh, what luck for me!   She made shrimp and avocado salad and served it in the avocado halves.  The nice thing about this dish is that it is versatile.  You could use chicken if you prefer.  Leave out the cilantro for those who can't eat it.  If you don't like avocados, well, that is another issue.  But, they are so good for us.  This first recipe is an easy one.  https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/avocado-crab-boats/

avocadocrabboats1.thumb.jpg.60a0a2b15181c8ed82345c4da4a62c62.jpg

There is a little bit different seasoning in this recipe.   https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a58356/avocado-crab-boats-recipe/

avocadocrabboats2.thumb.jpg.451e9d61bda3ff7b086ce638fb7c35b0.jpg

This next one is not baked or broiled.  It would be very refreshing on a summer day.   https://www.fifteenspatulas.com/crab-stuffed-avocado/

avocadocrabboats3.thumb.jpg.92cf76f7eb87125eff7f3f95b87289b9.jpg

Any of those would look good to me.  I do have a couple avocados.  No crab, though.   I  could use tuna as I have that.

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 11

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  I hope everyone had an enjoyable weekend.  Here it is 43F and we will see a high of 64 with partly cloudy skies.  At this very moment the weather person says no more rain until Friday but I'll believe it when I see it.  After all, I'm from Missouri, the "Show Me" state!😉

Thank you to Rich @richwmn for our Fleet Report and Daily information.  Today he is in wonderful Lisbon.  Interesting fact about Big Ben, Rich.  Our days to celebrate include Golfer's Day, National Farm Animals Day and National Siblings Day.  A salute to our golfers especially those at the Master's Tournament this past weekend.  I'm glad they were able to get all the play in and won't announce who won in case someone hasn't found out the results yet.  Don't want to spoil!  This morning we are meeting two gentlemen at the golf club a very short distance from our house to discuss their driving us to and from the airport on our next cruise.  One offers that service for a fee and the other is his substitute when he is not able to do the driving such as when he's on vacation.  The second one has a golf game right after our meet up and we wouldn't want him to be late.

Next is National Farm Animals Day.  I've learned a lot about farm animals by watching The Incredible Dr. Pol.  I sure wouldn't want that job!  Dr. Pol is 80 years old so I wonder how long he can continue that very physical job?  Anyway, good for the farm animals.  And finally National Siblings Day.  Three cheers🎉 for our siblings who remain and a prayer for those who are gone.  🙏

Interesting quote this morning.  The meal of the day is Avocado Crab Boats.  I'm sure Debbie @dfish can make them look so delicious we'll be running out to buy avocado!  The drink is a new version of the Old Fashioned I suppose and the Shiraz from Australia will please many of you red wine drinkers.  Thanks in advance to Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for their input on them.  

Prayers this morning for our Care list people.  🙏  Hoping everyone has good news on that front soon.  Congratulations to everyone on the Celebration list.  Hope all the cruises are going smoothly.  We'll enjoy any reports any of you can send back to us.  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for handling that for Roy, and we hope he is up to the job again soon.🥂🎉

Today's port is Marseille on the French Riviera, a very popular spot on the Mediterranean cruises.  In fact Marseille was on my first Med cruise a long time ago.  We have had that port here only once before on May 31, 2021.  Below is the link to that date so everyone can present their photos again.  There are lots of new people on the Daily who would love to see them I'm sure.  Thank you in advance!

We've been to Marseille in 2008 (Emerald Princess), 2012 (Crown Princess), and 2019 (Emerald again).  The last time there was on our family cruise celebrating our 50th anniversary.  What a fabulous experience that was!

In looking back on our visits to Marseille I see that we've spent a lot of time outside the city of Marseille visiting the countryside of Provence and the little villages.  On our last visit we did see some of Marseille itself.  

In 2008 we took of tour of Provence that included Lourmarin.  I remember the typical pale blue shutters on the stone houses.  enhance

A street in Lourmarinenhance

Next was a drive through Bonnieux.  I recall the narrow road along a cliff.  Lovely views from there.enhance

Waiting for someone to get out of our way.enhance

On our way to our next village we passed this bridge called Pont Julien which has stood for nearly two thousand years.  enhance

Next was Gordes which also on a hillside.  It was really beautiful in person.  I hope these photos do it justice.enhance

enhance

This area is known for their stone walls and olive trees, too.  Both are seen here.enhance

From there we headed to L'Isle-sur-Sorgue which is known for its waterways and antique shops.enhance

enhance

In 2012 I took a tour of Cassis, the fishing village near Marseille.  Along the way.enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

In 2019 on our family cruise stop in Marseille some of us went to Aix-en-Provence and back to Marseille to tour Notre Dame de la Garde.  The remainder went on a boat trip to Calanques National Park where they could swim and go snorkeling.  Then they went to Vieux-Port in Marseille for a little lunch at a restaurant of their choice.

Aix-en-Provence was a lot bigger than I normally like.  There were some nice places there to tour though.enhance

enhance

enhance

Heading back to Marseille for our tour of the cathedral.  This is the way up so beware if you can't do steps!enhance

Almost there.enhance

The cathedral is at the top of the tallest hill so there are stellar views of Marseille.enhance

enhance

Views inside Notre-Dame de la Gardeenhance

enhance

enhance

Our next stop would be at Vieux-Port or Old Port seen below from the cathedral.enhance

Once at the port we strolled the streets and marina in the hot, hot sun for a while, then stopped at a covered patio and had cold drinks at a cafe.  There's Notre-Dame up on the hill.enhance

enhance

The family members who went on the boat tour of the Calanques National Park, they were able to dip into the water to cool off!  enhance

enhance

Then they ended up back at the Vieux-Port for lunch.enhance

enhance

DGS Ren at 12 years old.  That's quite a pizza for one kid but you know how boys eat!enhance

I wouldn't have minded being on their tour at all.  Looks like fun!

Off to the treadmill so I wish everyone here a safe day and a Motivated Monday!

Fantastic photos Sandi.

Graham.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

When I was younger, I used to work as a vet assistant, so I got to know farm animals quite well.  In fact, some of them reminded me of my siblings.  Some were stubborn as a mule and others were easy to pull the wool over their eyes.  Have a good day all.

• Like 16
  • Haha 7