The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday April 11th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

A quick good morning from central Texas.  It is 52F but will warm to the mid 70s by noon, and there will be sunshine.  It's going to be a busy morning with early errands and getting cars inspected, which has to be done before I can register them for another year.  A neighbor is coming to help me take the ruined tire off the car, so I can get the new one mounted when I take a car to be inspected.  Then, he'll help get it back on the car.

Depending upon how long those chores all take, I'm hoping to get the yard mowed and some weeds pulled this afternoon.  That may need to wait until tomorrow.

Barbershop quartets are nice to listen to in small doses.  Somehow we missed having eight track tapes and went straight to cassettes.  When we had pets, everyday was their day.

The quote is another interesting one from Ralph Wald Emerson.

The meal sounds good, but I would prefer a different cheese.  Right now spinach is a no-no with DH's blood thinner.  We'll pass on the drink, but the wine sounds nice, if it wasn't so pricey.

While we visited an uninhabited island in Fiji for a beach day in 2000, we haven't been to today's port.

@kazu  Jacqui, I hope your hair appointment is between rain showers.  Loved the memes.

@richwmn  Rich, LBJ did the right thing in signing the Civil Rights Act despite the political consequences.

@dfish  Debbie, thanks for the suggestion to substitute mushrooms for the spinach in the stuffed chicken breast.  A thanks for inadvertently reminding to spray bug spray around the house today.

I guess I better get ready to run my errands.

Lenda

• Like 24

Good morning all,

A beautiful sunny day here in Kansas. A do worker of mine always greeted us with it was the “Best day of his life”. He was happy and a joy to work with. 

Thanks @aliaschief on the tip for bar soap. The shower gels wreak havoc on my skin.

Prayers  for those on the care list. I will sign off with one of my favorite pet photos. 

60DEC899-6B63-4CDB-B6CC-09BBB975E483.jpeg

• Like 24
  • Haha 6

45 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Our Concierge is amazing. Last night I wore a new pair of dress pants that were just too long with the shoes I brought. 
My pants are now on their way to ships tailor for alteration. 
Love our crew.

Did you find out who is the Pinnacle Grille Manager?

• Like 6

I never had an eight-track player. I do have a functioning cassette deck, which I use for copying from cassettes to the computer. I like barbershop quartets when they aren't too twee and I miss having a pet. (I'm about ready to change that.)

No on the meal, at least for home cooking, and definitely no on the drink. I might like the wine, but at that price will probably never know. I haven't been to Fiji, but you could have guessed that.

Taking trash and recycling out in just a minute, then maybe back to bed.

dogpaddle.thumb.jpg.451444e7ddd3b2be264ef99a24ca68ea.jpg

• Like 11
  • Haha 14

Good Tuesday morning!  I am running behind today because I wanted to get my taxes and estimates out to the mailbox before the usually very early arrival of our mail man.   That is done, but we had a hiccup yesterday when we visited Morgan Stanley yesterday John had a 1099 that was missed either in our 3 months of mail or it wasn't sent.   It won't happen again.   We may drive them over to our tax preparer later today after my dentist appointment at 1.  Today our project is putting our blue bird house back up.  John hit it with the lawn aerator and the pole snapped.  We have been working daily to get the 2' deep hole dug and today we will set the pole in the hole and pore in some Sakrete (bagged concrete mix). 

Thanks for the daily reports and for all of the comestibles today.  All look really good but the wine is way too expensive for our blood.    Prayers for all on our care list, the shooting victims in Louisville and Nashville and for the people of Ukraine.   Have a nice day!   N

• Like 20

Getting warm here in Maryland, 70s today, on the way to hotter later this week 80s. They’re calling it June weather. But too windy to kayak. Maybe next week. 

Our Tales of the South Pacific cruise stopped in Savusavu. A tender port. The dock was a former copra shipping port, all quite small and now mostly a bar  but with lots of music. There was a market, all outside just to one side. And across the one narrow street there were tourist helpers set up.  We hired a taxi to take us down the shore a few miles to a “resort” more like a motel, where they had kayaks. The road along the shore was very narrow and damaged with some of the pavement broken and sagging into the sea where it had been undercut. Some places there was no sand or beach at all between the road and the water.  Heavy forests on the other side of the road with a few houses carved out of the dense trees. And of course it was quite hot!  A young man at the resort carried the kayaks from the front lawn of the little motel style building across the narrow road to the very narrow beach for us to put-in. We kayaked a couple of hours along the shore and returned, although  it was more pleasant on the water than on the road and market area it but still hot. Those selling ice cream and frozen drinks did well!  I doubt I have access to any of our pictures to get them here but I do have good memories of this “off the beaten path” port. 

🙏Blessings to all in need of healing, comfort or hope.
🥂Cheers to all celebrating!  
✈️🚗🚆🛳️ Smooth travels to all away and all the cruisers! Enjoy it all!  
Maureen 

• Like 24

Good Tuesday Morning Daiyites!  It's 40 and sunny, expected to get up to 70.  Of course I'll be inside working at that time.... Still havent figured out how to tell Boss 2, that I will be leaving him in a week.

Off this morning to dollar tree to get office supplies, and then do a walk, then wally world and then chick fil A, and then walk the dog, and then go to work, and then attend a zoom training, and then work.....

ee1af36b939d18fba8909dd38b9cdba5.jpg

What a day!  I'm pretty sure we will skip something.  since DH and I will both be working at night starting tomorrow, we are off for microwave dinners and lettuce.  No break long enough to cook for the rest of the week.  Then next week, I will get hours off to at least prep a meal, and then we will live with that for a week and then we are gone, and someone else can cook for me.

I am currently suffering from life anxiety.

I love the quote, I love my pets, it is always their day.

Fundraise-Up-Popup-Image-960px-2.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Is someone waging an orchestrated campaign against the Oosterdam, in the form of negative "questions"? In the fall I saw one post claiming that the Oosterdam was a rust bucket, the food was garbage, and the service was terrible. I also saw several favorable trip reports, including from last year's Spanish Farewell (I'm booked on this year's.)

Recently there have been several posts, ostensibly asking questions about negative reports presumably heard somewhere. Seeing several on the same day made me think of the classic political smears: "Have you stopped beating your wife?" "Is it true that you're a spy for Grand Fenwick?" "Is anyone paying you to vote for/against [whatever]?"

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

@kochleffelSeveral Daily posters were on the Oosterdam TA last November.  I had a wonderful time, best service I have ever had on a ship. I’ve booked the Oosterdam for a South America & Antarctic cruise in January.  If you have any questions or concerns, I’m sure we would all be happy to answer.

I ignore the haters and have blocked several posters who have nothing but negative comments.

Time to head back out to the garden, I need to continue pulling out invasive ivy. 

I hope everyone has the best day possible.

• Like 23

35 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

Is someone waging an orchestrated campaign against the Oosterdam, in the form of negative "questions"? In the fall I saw one post claiming that the Oosterdam was a rust bucket, the food was garbage, and the service was terrible. I also saw several favorable trip reports, including from last year's Spanish Farewell (I'm booked on this year's.)

Recently there have been several posts, ostensibly asking questions about negative reports presumably heard somewhere. Seeing several on the same day made me think of the classic political smears: "Have you stopped beating your wife?" "Is it true that you're a spy for Grand Fenwick?" "Is anyone paying you to vote for/against [whatever]?"

I was wondering the same thing.  I was on the Spanish Farewell and one of the officers said they were holding her together with bandaids at times.  I don’t think she was kidding.  But it was her favourite ship and many of the crew’s.  I didn’t see any bandaids per se and my experience was like Tina’s @0106.  Excellent cruise - fabulous crew.  The Sea View Bar staff were absolutely incredible.  

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

It better be Tuesday!  

LOL - I KNEW someone would say it 😂 

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

@kazu  Here are copies of Chefs dinner menus that are on display in Neptune.

David Burke’s I have to find a copy.

image.thumb.jpeg.bd405b71e4cc99607e5fb430ab83ff4a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.40f5bd4d2b4360fba7902d0e09d8f292.jpeg

Thank you so much Bruce 👍 

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

Not a bad price.

image.thumb.jpeg.5f08e80559eebf73e5521b0a7feafc6e.jpeg

Wow - same price as it was years ago.  That’s incredible!

• Like 18

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

Barbershop quartets are ok; haven't heard one in years. I have never had an 8-track tape or a pet other than fish. Nice quote. The meal looks good, as does the drink. I'll pass on the wine.

I haven't been to Savusavu.

It's going to be warm and sunny today. It's already 47F, although we have an air quality alert. It's always something. As I've mentioned I was having unusual pain in my right knee. I'd noticed a wet spot in the bed the other day and thought maybe it was from the cpap. Now I know it's from my knee; there's drainage! Not good. I messaged the Ortho office, but if I don't hear by this afternoon I'll try to call (and hope not to get the dreaded phone tree). I'm concerned about infection and if I need to be on antibiotics. Sigh. I have some errands I need to do and was going to BFF's DD DF's house, but I want to hang at the house a bit in case I get a call (although I can forward the landline to my cell).

@StLouisCruisers I appreciate you starting us up today. Thanks for the compliment! 

@grapau27 Thanks for the explanations.

@richwmn Thanks for the History. The Civil Rights Bill was a very important thing.

@ski ww Nice picture.

@aliaschief Thanks for sharing the goings-on aboard ship. Enjoy Cartagena tomorrow.

@dfish Thanks for the recipes.

@smitty34877 Cute dog!

@cruising sister Aww, a dog with a binkie.

@marshhawk Good luck with the job issues. 

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Be well everyone.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

Another nice day here predicted. High in the mid 60's.... current temp is 34. Don't mind the cool mornings and the dogs seem happy with their early morning walks.

@JazzyVHope you can get the drainage issue on the knee taken care of asap. Not something you want to fool with.

Off to the store for laundry soap and a few other items. Then more cleaning and dog walking. Nothing exciting in the foreseeable future and and I want to keep it that way.

Take care all.

Susan

• Like 19

3 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Our Concierge is amazing. Last night I wore a new pair of dress pants that were just too long with the shoes I brought. 
My pants are now on their way to ships tailor for alteration. 
Love our crew.

The velcro fastener on the cuff of my hubby's jacket came unsewn....K's tailor repaired it for us.....

• Like 14

Thanks for the concern. I heard back from the doctor's office. They want me to cover the area with a gauze and ace wrap, and limit walking. Of course go to the ER if fever/chills or foul smelling drainage. I'll see them in the office on Friday. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 9

12 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Thanks for the concern. I heard back from the doctor's office. They want me to cover the area with a gauze and ace wrap, and limit walking. Of course go to the ER if fever/chills or foul smelling drainage. I'll see them in the office on Friday. 

Way too close to your cruise for this to be happening.

Roy

• Like 13

Good morning all!

I'll celebrate pets day even though we haven't had one since our last kitty passed in 2011.  Until then there was never a time in my life I didn't have a pet (2 dogs as a child, and 7 cats as an adult).  Now I just enjoy our grand-pups and grand-kitties so we can travel a lot. 😉  

I'll pass on the drink (coconut), and expensive red wine.  Debbie @dfishthe recipes today all look delicious!  I'm going to make the first recipe tonight for dinner.  I love Feta cheese, but it's high in sodium so will use Mozzarella instead.  And I have fresh spinach I'm growing.  This sounds really good.  

I've been bringing my own bar soap for a number of years, I really don't like liquid shower gel.  

Vanessa @JazzyV Prayers that your knee isn't infected -- good that you'll be seeing the doctor on Friday.

Here are some of my favorite pet photos over the years.

Our first pet, 17-pound "Cairo" and my parents' dog "Riley".  We were visiting them in CA and I don't think Riley thought Cairo should be in his house. This would have been around 1970.

Scan_20180526.thumb.jpg.7fb23dc421b45418467fdf76a7a9ae08.jpg

Same cat with our daughter, 1980.

Scan_20190611.thumb.jpg.b0faa5e5d2cdafdb5be41bf0abc173fc.jpg

"Ebony", around 1995

Scan_20210220.thumb.jpg.ddfee77e923a102cf5031ba93e317210.jpg

Our daughter chose to have our cat "Suhy" pose with her in one of her graduation pictures.

Scan_20200402.thumb.jpg.9e4c15f067ac1c6c125ca9bc1ac231ea.jpg

Edited to add that today is our son's 49th birthday.  How on earth can I have a son that old when I'm only 25???

Edited by Cruising-along
  • Like 22
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, aliaschief said:

@RedneckBob Sarah is the Pinnacle Grill Manager. Just got back from our breakfast there.

Thanks AC. We had Abigail on our June cruise on the Eurodam. She was excellent! We have been to PG once for breakfast and only once. Approximately 15 years ago the Misses ordered pancakes and it took forever. We asked the waiter why it was taking so long and he said they had to go to Lido to get the pancakes. I stood up and said we will get the pancakes ourselves at the Lido. We are out of here.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1