The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday April 19th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

@grapau27 Graham   Thanks for the story behind Sea Glass. My sister is an avid collector and she has pieces from all over. We rarely if ever have any here on our beach. Other things wash up but not seaglass.   Enjoy the beach!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!
I love garlic and use it a lot in recipes.  In the past I always hung out the laundry, but that was when we lived in sunnier places like CA.  I can't remember the last time I rode a bicycle.  Will pass on the red wine and pineapple drink, but do like the meal.  But tonight we'll be having salmon, and I'll be making the "Balsamic Glazed Salmon with Strawberry Relish".  Yum. Has anyone else made it?  It was the meal of the day a few weeks ago.

We've been to Norway a few times but never to Flam.  I do remember it was on an itinerary of a cruise we had to cancel.

Today I have a few errands and shopping to do, and IF it stops raining maybe some gardening.  

Last night I got an email from Netflix.  After 25 years, they are discontinuing the DVDs as of the end of September.  We were grandfathered in and got 2 discs/month for $5, and have gotten them for 22 years.   Makes me sad, because I just don't like the idea of going to streaming --  Oh well, there are worse things!

Annie @marshhawk Is today your birthday or is it Saturday?  If it's today, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

I made it twice so far and everyone  liked it.very tasty.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the inclusion on the Care List. From checkin to recovery it only took a bit more than 2 hours. Because I have a gas bubble in my eye, I need to keep my chin to my chest. If need be I can lift my head just a bit and look at the horizon but not up. Also cannot go higher in elevation than 2000 feet (so my Vegas trip is cancelled) and of course no flying. 

Home now. I set up the chair and the face support unit for the bed last night. Got the chair adjusted but might not need it during the day. Not sure about the bed. I may end up sleeping in the chair. 

Thanks again for all your prayers and well wishes. I’ll keep you posted. 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. Off to PT today and dental hygiene tomorrow. Getting all my appointments over before my next cateract surgery in May.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

That’s a smart idea, Carol 👍 

4 hours ago, Lady Hudson said:

I was able to book a trip for next February.  

Yippee!  Sounds like fun. 🙂 

@marshhawkhaven’t quite figured out if today is the day or not, but I’m not taking chances ….Happy Birthday to you - no matter when you celebrate 🙂 

3948BF08-CBB5-4EF4-88D1-6F62FBD647C2.jpeg.3a877918ddcd938e6dd3142e751d8af1.jpeg

@cruising sister wish I was on with you still for Flam and the other Norwegian ports too.  I recommend layers to be prepared weather wise.

• Like 19

5 hours ago, cat shepard said:

My fridge’s ice maker is sick. Within the past two weeks it went on strike for two entire days. So before it dies completely, my appliance repair guru is going to look at it. The fridge is an LG, so I am hoping it can be replaced since it is more than 7 years old.

I think we also have an LG, and the ice maker failed a few years ago.  We never even attempted to get it repaired.  Mrs, XBGuy, a chef in her working days, has an excellent recipe for ice.  Let me know if you need it.

🤣🤣🤣

• Like 9
  • Haha 13

50 minutes ago, dobiemom said:

Thanks for the inclusion on the Care List. From checkin to recovery it only took a bit more than 2 hours. Because I have a gas bubble in my eye, I need to keep my chin to my chest. If need be I can lift my head just a bit and look at the horizon but not up. Also cannot go higher in elevation than 2000 feet (so my Vegas trip is cancelled) and of course no flying. 

Home now. I set up the chair and the face support unit for the bed last night. Got the chair adjusted but might not need it during the day. Not sure about the bed. I may end up sleeping in the chair. 

Thank you for letting us know how things went.  Rest, relax, and heal quickly.

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!
I love garlic and use it a lot in recipes.   But tonight we'll be having salmon, and I'll be making the "Balsamic Glazed Salmon with Strawberry Relish".  Yum. Has anyone else made it?  It was the meal of the day a few weeks ago.

I'm sure you'll love it.  Thanks for reminding me of that recipe.  I might have a reason to make it this weekend.

27 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good afternoon from the beautiful Volendam in Aruba. I really thought I was going to love Aruba but I only love the Butterfly Garden.  Amazing!

53DDE142-58F1-418C-BF4F-4A15026E2BF9.thumb.jpeg.51acfc4572b615ae04b74034ae7ca8e1.jpeg

Have a great day everyone!

I held a blue butterfly like that one a few weeks ago.  They are beautiful!

• Like 19

47 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

I think we also have an LG, and the ice maker failed a few years ago.  We never even attempted to get it repaired.  Mrs, XBGuy, a chef in her working days, has an excellent recipe for ice.  Let me know if you need it.

🤣🤣🤣

I am lucky. It was a simple matter of dust in the back vents. Once cleared, the compressor started working correctly and the ice maker could cycle properly. 

Gave me a good opportunity to clean really well behind the fridge. 

Thanks for the recipe offer. But I won’t be needing it. 

• Like 18

3 hours ago, cunnorl said:

@grapau27 Graham   Thanks for the story behind Sea Glass. My sister is an avid collector and she has pieces from all over. We rarely if ever have any here on our beach. Other things wash up but not seaglass.   Enjoy the beach!

You can buy Seaham Glass on line.

Graham.

Screenshot_20230419_201609.jpg

Screenshot_20230419_201818.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 9

40 minutes ago, 57redbird said:

@kazu  Ivan looks like a lovey boy complete with bear.....hope he works out!

Thanks.  I am thinking hard - he’s wider than he appeared in his pics which would make it difficult to pick him up if he needs help.  On the other hand, I think he is overweight.  He is very roly poly.  But a sweet dog.  I am considering a trial (which the owner and I both agreed to) - I just wish he was 10 pounds lighter which I had understood when we began our initial conversations.

• Like 13

Good afternoon.  Every once in a while, we can see bits of blue sky, but it is still windy and so far only 74 F and humid.  After I left the dentist with a good report, I stopped at the store, and I've been busy ever since.  Finally, the meat is in the freezer and the chicken salad is made for supper tonight.

We also checked on the batteries in the motorhome and ran the engine for a little while.  After a year of sitting in one place, it started right up.  This was the first time since his surgery, DH has been able to get in the motorhome because of the steps.  He said it was easier than it was before the surgery.  YEAH!!!!  The progress is slow but steady, and it is great to reach such a milestone.   By October, we should be able to head to Quartzsite.

One of the control units on the electric blanket we bought in December quit working.  We tried resetting it three times, and tried it on DH's side of the bed -- nothing, but his controller works on my side of the bed.  Since it is under warranty, the company will either send us a new controller or a whole new blanket.  I talked to them this morning and then tried the one last thing to test it.  I'll call them when I'm finished here.

5 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning. It will get up to sixty again today but is presently only fifty and very breezy. There is so much visible pollen in the air today, even one of the dogs is sneezing. We don’t have a outside structure upon which to hang laundry but between the birds,pollen and soot it would not go well here. The recipe today looks good but will be tried another day as we have lasagna in our future. I decided to make it today as it won’t get too hot with the oven on later.

We have not been to Flam but the pictures are wonderful. Thank you Sandi and Lenda.

Tomorrow DH will meet with the GI doc regarding what needs to happen next. Fingers are crossed.

@marshhawk, Annie, Happy Birthday to you and I am so happy that you will be able to go on the cruise.

Take care everyone.

Terry, I'm sending positive thoughts for a good report from the doctor tomorrow for your DH.

4 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Lovely photos Lenda.

Thank you, Graham.

4 hours ago, grapau27 said:

This is the nearest beach to our house at 5 miles away.

Most of my photos in the car overlook this beach.

A little history.

IMG_20210423_112924.jpg.9098816e3695f3b6db66ad5cb68970ce.jpg

Screenshot_20230419_151054.jpg

Screenshot_20230419_150726.jpg

Screenshot_20230419_150806.jpg

Screenshot_20230419_150901.jpg

Graham, thanks for the story and the pictures of the sea glass.  I recently bought a pair of light green sea glass earrings.  It's nice to know the story behind them.

3 hours ago, jl88 said:

Love Flam...We pre-purchased tickets directly from Flamsbana, which require round trip on same train.  With HAL tours, there were options to explore at the top and get a nordic snack - but there did not seem to be much there.  After train ride, we did a hike that took us up to Brekkefossen. Steep trail with plenty of goats ... and goat stuff on the stone stairway/trail.  Great views from the top. New Rotterdam waits below.

20220603_124318.jpg

20220603_124615.jpg

20220603_124342.jpg

Thank you for your pictures from Flam.  Welcome to the Fleet/Daily.  We hope you will continue to join us often.

2 hours ago, dobiemom said:

Thank you for the update, and I'm glad the surgery was quick and went well.  Here's to a speedy recovery, and hopefully a not too uncomfortable recovery.

1 hour ago, XBGuy said:

🤣🤣🤣

Does Mrs. XBGuy also have an excellent recipe for boiling water?  🤣 🤣 🤣

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

I am lucky. It was a simple matter of dust in the back vents. Once cleared, the compressor started working correctly and the ice maker could cycle properly. 

Gave me a good opportunity to clean really well behind the fridge. 

Thanks for the recipe offer. But I won’t be needing it. 

Ann, I'm very happy it was a simple fix.  Whenever we have to pull an appliance out from the wall, I make sure to clean very well behind it since I never know when it will be pulled out again.

4 minutes ago, kazu said:

Thanks.  I am thinking hard - he’s wider than he appeared in his pics which would make it difficult to pick him up if he needs help.  On the other hand, I think he is overweight.  He is very roly poly.  But a sweet dog.  I am considering a trial (which the owner and I both agreed to) - I just wish he was 10 pounds lighter which I had understood when we began our initial conversations.

Jacqui, I don't envy you having to make that difficult decision, but I know you will do what is best for you and for Ivan.

Lenda

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning. It will get up to sixty again today but is presently only fifty and very breezy. There is so much visible pollen in the air today, even one of the dogs is sneezing. We don’t have a outside structure upon which to hang laundry but between the birds,pollen and soot it would not go well here. The recipe today looks good but will be tried another day as we have lasagna in our future. I decided to make it today as it won’t get too hot with the oven on later.

We have not been to Flam but the pictures are wonderful. Thank you Sandi and Lenda.

Tomorrow DH will meet with the GI doc regarding what needs to happen next. Fingers are crossed.

@marshhawk, Annie, Happy Birthday to you and I am so happy that you will be able to go on the cruise.

Take care everyone.

Sending prayers 🙏 for your DH tomorrow at his GI appointment Terry.

Good wishes to Tana and hopefully her new aide is doing a good job.

Graham.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon. It's lovely outside here, 64F and sunny.

My check from the state unclaimed property came already! Wow, I wasn't expecting it for weeks.

My hair is cut and my stylist offered to cut my grass once or twice while I'm away! The back of the salon is right across the alley from the back of my house. He'll use my mower which is in my detached garage. I need to think of something to bring him as a thank you.

@grapau27 Very interesting about the sea glass.

@jl88 Thanks for the photos, and welcome to the Daily!

@dobiemom I'm glad your procedure is done. Rest and I pray for a smooth recovery. Sorry you have to miss your Vegas trip.

@cat shepard That was a good outcome on the ice maker.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Great news on DH's progress since his surgery! 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good afternoon from the beautiful Volendam in Aruba. I really thought I was going to love Aruba but I only love the Butterfly Garden.  Amazing!

53DDE142-58F1-418C-BF4F-4A15026E2BF9.thumb.jpeg.51acfc4572b615ae04b74034ae7ca8e1.jpeg

Have a great day everyone!

Sharon, we did fall in love with Eagle Beach on Aruba -- powdery white sand and gentle ocean for swimming.

It looks like you are having a wonderful time on your cruise! 

• Like 13

@grapau27, Graham, thank you for your good wishes. We are all hoping for a relatively easy fix for DH tomorrow.

Tana and her aide are doing well together. They are two very strong willed women who are used to being in charge so things are handled diplomatically at present. I have been able to really step back when she is here and I really needed to do so. 
I enjoyed learning about the special sea glass at the beaches near your home. Thank you.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Does Mrs. XBGuy also have an excellent recipe for boiling water?  🤣 🤣 🤣

Measure one quart of tap water into a microwave-safe container.  Place in microwave.  Turn on microwave to "Nuke" until you see bubbles coming up.

This technique works because it is not a pot that you are watching.

• Like 2
  • Haha 11

So far, this has been an interesting week. After church on Sunday, I decided to wash some clothes. Everything into the washer, including detergent, and turned it on. Nothing - not a whisper! I thought the Dailyite appliance curse had finally arrived! Made a fast trip to BestBuy, purchased a Whirlpool & made all the arrangements for delivery tomorrow. Got home & something made me go to the garage and check the circuit panel. Yup, it was a thrown switch! Okay, this is when DH would certainly have come in handy - he would have known to do that first! Luckily I was able to cancel the order without any problem.

So, now to figure out what tripped the switch. DS & I installed a window AC unit the week before - that's the only thing different. Now, why an outlet on the second floor and one in the basement are on the same circuit is beyond me! Yesterday, the electrician came checked things out and determined a new outlet on its own switch should be installed for the AC unit. That happens on Friday, when we're supposed to have record heat - hope it doesn't take too long!

In between all this, I had the pleasure of taking some friends visiting from Alabama to see George Washington's Mount Vernon - their first visit. It was beautiful, and they said it was the highlight of their trip to DC! Besides the mansion, the museum there is wonderful. Highly recommend it if you ever visit here.

Tomorrow is the first ever reunion of retirees from the federal agency where I used to work. Supposedly around 90 people will attend. I hope there's someone I know!

As I said, it's been quite the week!

Edi

Edited by NextOne
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Best wishes for your DH’s meeting with the GI doc.  I have my fingers and toes crossed for him and you 🤞 

4 hours ago, dobiemom said:

Yikes that sounds tough, Marcia. 😔 I’m sorry your trip to Vegas had to be cancelled.  I know you were looking forward to it 😞 

4 hours ago, dobiemom said:

Oh dear, I hope you don’t have to sleep in the chair.  You need a good night’s sleep to help with your healing. 😔  I hope you can get some kind of decent sleep 🤞 

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

This was the first time since his surgery, DH has been able to get in the motorhome because of the steps.  He said it was easier than it was before the surgery. 

YAY 🙂. That sounds encouraging and progress.  One step at a time.

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

My check from the state unclaimed property came already! Wow, I wasn't expecting it for weeks.

Good news indeed !

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

My hair is cut and my stylist offered to cut my grass once or twice while I'm away!

How kind of your stylist.  That’s super that your lawn is covered while you are away 👍 

16 minutes ago, NextOne said:

So, now to figure out what tripped the switch.

That’s a relief you didn’t get bitten by the appliance bug 👍. Breaker switches can get tripped by a power surge.  (That’s part of their purpose).   I learned that anytime something doesn’t seem to be working to scoot down to the basement and check the breaker switches.

Glad the electrician is doing something about the new A/C unit.  Better safe…

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, aliaschief said:

We are just arriving in Huatulco, Mexico. First impression is it looks dry or maybe new foliage has not sprouted on trees yet. We’ll see.

image.thumb.jpeg.9f98178092527cb175627057f68b0882.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.ec556e88fef22fdf506930533097a8b9.jpeg

It’s the dry season and as soon as May rains come the trees will turn green with new foliage.

More pictures on tomorrow’s Daily. Walking around in 93 and humid heat warrants a second shower.

• Like 11

Good evening from the Volendam at sea heading to Cartegena. We are hardly moving. Tomorrow is a sea day so I guess we’re in no hurry. 

2 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

Sharon, we did fall in love with Eagle Beach on Aruba -- powdery white sand and gentle ocean for swimming.

It looks like you are having a wonderful time on your cruise! 

Thank you Maxine. I’m sure the beaches are lovely but driving around the island was not my favorite. I really never realized that Aruba was a desert island. The desert I live in is much nicer. 

1 hour ago, NextOne said:

So far, this has been an interesting week. After church on Sunday, I decided to wash some clothes. Everything into the washer, including detergent, and turned it on. Nothing - not a whisper! I thought the Dailyite appliance curse had finally arrived! Made a fast trip to BestBuy, purchased a Whirlpool & made all the arrangements for delivery tomorrow. Got home & something made me go to the garage and check the circuit panel. Yup, it was a thrown switch! Okay, this is when DH would certainly have come in handy - he would have known to do that first! Luckily I was able to cancel the order without any problem.

So, now to figure out what tripped the switch. DS & I installed a window AC unit the week before - that's the only thing different. Now, why an outlet on the second floor and one in the basement are on the same circuit is beyond me! Yesterday, the electrician came checked things out and determined a new outlet on its own switch should be installed for the AC unit. That happens on Friday, when we're supposed to have record heat - hope it doesn't take too long!

In between all this, I had the pleasure of taking some friends visiting from Alabama to see George Washington's Mount Vernon - their first visit. It was beautiful, and they said it was the highlight of their trip to DC! Besides the mansion, the museum there is wonderful. Highly recommend it if you ever visit here.

Tomorrow is the first ever reunion of retirees from the federal agency where I used to work. Supposedly around 90 people will attend. I hope there's someone I know!

As I said, it's been quite the week!

Edi

Edi, we have an outlet upstairs that is connected to one in the garage. I really need to get that fixed!  What a pain.  Also— I visited Mount Vernon in 1989 and loved it and really want to go back. One of the best tours I’ve been on. 

• Like 14