The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday April 26th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

Thank you Rich, Sandi, Eva, Debbie (and Happy Birthday), Ann, and Dixie for the Hump Day report.  Virtual hugs to all Australians, I like pretzels, and am greatful that we don't have a lot of need for the Richter Scale here.  Container ships have certainly revolutionized shipping.  The Lamar quote seems awfully dark.  I visited Lanzarote just once in 2014.  I was thinking it was on Amsterdam but it was actually on Wind Star.  I think I'll pass on the meal.   My alternative is Caesar Salad, the Rack of Lamb, and the Forest Berry Tart as served on MS Nieuw Statendam April 26, 2019:

dishes26.jpg

I hope I'm not reopening an old wound but special prayers for @kazu as the anniversary of Jose's May 1 death gets close.

Roy

• Like 25
  • Thanks 8

Thanks for our Hump Day Daily, Sandi.

Great collection of days.  If an Australian friend was here, I would happily hug them.  The Richter Scale is a valuable tool, indeed.  Good to know how much of an earthquake an area had a bit of a distance from us a week or so ago.  Everyone felt the effects here.

I know why Hedy did that quote but I still don’t like it. 😠 Prosecco - yum!!!  We have been to two of the Canary Islands but not today’s.  Appreciate the pics.

IMG_3369.jpeg.d3492f23100a391be7120b0dca5f4021.jpeg

Prayers for @cruzn single recovery.  May you be pain free soon. 🙏 

Prayers for Brenda @bennybear for not only the surgery she is undergoing today but a good prognosis.  🙏 

Debbie, @dfish a very happy birthday to you.

IMG_9959.gif.fb28f5675918b725d83177b66aedab89.gif

Well, instead of Hump Day, it’s D-Day for me.   That’s all I have on my plate.  To say I am nervous is an understatement.  I know that needle is going to hurt badly.  I’ll try not to be like this guy:

IMG_3312.jpeg.0e85beafd26fd73e2d47c79b36b1970d.jpeg

Prayers for everyone the Care list, those suffering and those that need them & a toast 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

IMG_3372.jpeg.e218b9a7e9552d6577339ec8f2b2a4cb.jpeg

Have a great Wednesday everyone !!!!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 9

4 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I hope I'm not reopening an old wound but special prayers for @kazu as the anniversary of Jose's May 1 death gets close.

Roy

Thanks Roy.  No worries - I’m very cognizant of it.  I found it ironic with the date of my surgery.  A year ago to the day, Jose had finally been moved to the transition ward to go to the nursing home.  He was happy with all the interaction and we had a great conversation.  I was so encouraged not realizing it was his effort to rebound before death. 😢 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 18

Good morning, everyone!

The day started cold (29F) and sunny.  I'm sure it will warm up quickly.  As long as it is sunny, I'm ok.  Thank  you to @cat shepard, @StLouisCruisers, @grapau27, @RedneckBob, @JazzyV, @cruising sister, @smitty34877, @ocean sounds, @rafinmd, and @kazu for the birthday wishes.  I hope I haven't left anyone out.  I'll do another sweep later.  

First, prayers for @bennybear and @kazu that their surgeries go well and are 100% successful.  

I have little on the agenda tonight.  My sister is taking me to lunch at Cafe Zinc downtown. It is an upscale restaurant (she wants to pretend we're rich) mostly there to serve Dow executives and visitors.  We'll fit right in.  Ha ha ha.  No matter what is on the menu, I will not be having tofu lettuce cups.   These don't look too bad and I might enjoy one as an appetizer, but not as a meal.  For the first one, the directions are given on Delish.  So, if you can get into the site, here it is:  https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/a38952025/tofu-lettuce-wraps-recipe/  If not, here is the ingredient list and most of us can figure out what to do with them.  https://www.punchfork.com/recipe/Caramelized-Tofu-Lettuce-Cups-Delish

CaramelizedTofuLettuceCups1.jpg.e8953daa9637461ae94f49211f60040b.jpg

They look pretty!  Here is Ree Drummond's recipe:  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/tofu-lettuce-wraps-3198061

caramelizedtofulettucecups3.thumb.jpeg.192a551c3bd20d3be2f35a3d2003d0f3.jpeg

Anything from PF Chang's is good.  https://www.holisticfoodie.com/recipes/pf-changs-tofu-lettuce-wraps

caramelizedtofulettucecups5.thumb.jpg.41f455c6645d49426a1a5a9110faf3e1.jpg

I'd eat one if someone made it for me.   

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 9

Good morning, and it is a good morning: I slept for 6+ hours last night, albeit in the living room but I’ll take it. 🙂

Thank you all for caring and sharing.  Prayers 🙏 for everyone who needs them! and extra hugs and prayers for @bennybear and @kazu.  Cheers 🎉 for all the celebrations.

(@marshhawk could you please email me? Born2tvl at yahoo dot com)

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

@bennybear   @kazu prayers for you both with medical procedures today.  

@kochleffel Thank you for giving us the information on Hedy Lamarr.  

Today is a somber day for me as it is the anniversary of my DH's passing in 2015.   Thankfully I was with him at the hospice as he took his last breaths at 9:26 PM.   RIP Gary Lewis 

Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Reports and @StLouisCruisers and @grapau27 thanks for the photos of today's port.  It looks like a nice place to visit sometime.   

I will pass on all of the comestibles.     Thanks for researching these for us each day.    Prayers for all on our care list and the people of Ukraine.  Have a nice day!   Nancy 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 10

HAPPY BIRTHDAY @dfish Debbie!  Enjoy your special day!  

Blessings to all with surgery, Jacqui @kazu and Brenda, and those beginning recovery @cruzn single, glad you are through that procedure. Onward. 

@dobiemom it must feel grand to get a 6 hr sleep. What an ordeal. 

I find the Lamar quote a tongue-in-cheek swipe at the world that swirled around her actress career. 

I might try the meal, definitely the gin tonic, and I’d love the Prosecco if it didn’t make me congested- some do, some don’t. 

Haven’t been to Canary Islands, but a funny memory came up: my high school sweetheart and I had a dream long, long ago that we’d visit there. I think we liked the name!  By college we each had moved on…. It does look lovely. 

I wish I were closer to my Australian friends. Just heard from one of them yesterday, will write back today, and send hugs!  

I think I’m just about prepared for leading my monthly Spiritual Companioning group this afternoon. I chose modern parables as a topic focus:  the flood victim who drowned after praying for divine rescue but turned down the rowboat, motorboat and helicopter; and the footprints in the sand story. I hope the group will find them thought-provoking. 

Sending blessings to all in need of healing, comfort or hope. I am deeply grateful I slept well, and have only happy things on our calendar today. DH will discontinue his double med eye drop beginning today - in 1 week he’ll get an eye pressure check. We’ll see if he gets relief from the itching which is just intolerable at times and  if the one eye drop med he’s still on will be enough to treat the glaucoma?  One day at a time is Everything!  Thanks for your support!  

🥂 Cheers to all celebrating milestones!  Life is Good!  

Smooth travels to all who are away, and happy cruising to all those aboard!  Thanks for sharing with us! 🚢

Appreciation to Sandi and all who make this gathering place possible 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 where we can half our burdens and double our joys!  
Maureen—

• Like 18
  • Thanks 5

15 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

Today is a somber day for me as it is the anniversary of my DH's passing in 2015.   Thankfully I was with him at the hospice as he took his last breaths at 9:26 PM.   RIP Gary Lewis 

Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Reports and @StLouisCruisers and @grapau27 thanks for the photos of today's port.  It looks like a nice place to visit sometime.   

I will pass on all of the comestibles.     Thanks for researching these for us each day.    Prayers for all on our care list and the people of Ukraine.  Have a nice day!   Nancy 

Nancy, it’s such a privilege to be with a loved one to the end! 💐

m—

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

As I indicated earlier my visit to Lanzarote was on the Wind Star.  I did a ship's tours to a couple of distant sites.  The Island is volcanic with an observatory at a 1000 foot peak and a nice view:

1stoverlook.jpg

We went on to a higher peak with another overlook, this one at 1430 feet, looking down on the island of Graciosa, with a population of 100.

delrio.jpg

Our final stop was down near the water at Jameos del Agua. A very wide lava tube runs beneath the surface; open at each end, and there is lush vegetation. A series of bars and restaurants have been built into the tube, and in the middle there is a salt water lagoon. . A second lagoon and a large underground auditorium are also part of the system.

jameos1.jpg

jameos2.jpg

jameos3.jpg

jameos4.jpg

jameos5.jpg

By the way, while Windstar ships have sails, they are not really sailing ships; the sails are probably mostly for show and are computer controlled.  On each transatlantic (Surf in 2010, Star in 2014) we briefly shut down the engines and moved slowly along (I think about 5kt)  While I rarely find rough seas problematic, even in a calm ocean at that speed I got quite queezy at the motion.

Roy

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4

39 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

Nancy, hugs to comfort you on this sad day.  The memories never leave us.

22 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY @dfish Debbie!  Enjoy your special day!  

Blessings to all with surgery, Jacqui @kazu and Brenda, and those beginning recovery @cruzn single, glad you are through that procedure. Onward. 

@dobiemom it must feel grand to get a 6 hr sleep. What an ordeal. 

I find the Lamar quote a tongue-in-cheek swipe at the world that swirled around her actress career. 

I might try the meal, definitely the gin tonic, and I’d love the Prosecco if it didn’t make me congested- some do, some don’t. 

Haven’t been to Canary Islands, but a funny memory came up: my high school sweetheart and I had a dream long, long ago that we’d visit there. I think we liked the name!  By college we each had moved on…. It does look lovely. 

I wish I were closer to my Australian friends. Just heard from one of them yesterday, will write back today, and send hugs!  

I think I’m just about prepared for leading my monthly Spiritual Companioning group this afternoon. I chose modern parables as a topic focus:  the flood victim who drowned after praying for divine rescue but turned down the rowboat, motorboat and helicopter; and the footprints in the sand story. I hope the group will find them thought-provoking. 

Sending blessings to all in need of healing, comfort or hope. I am deeply grateful I slept well, and have only happy things on our calendar today. DH will discontinue his double med eye drop beginning today - in 1 week he’ll get an eye pressure check. We’ll see if he gets relief from the itching which is just intolerable at times and  if the one eye drop med he’s still on will be enough to treat the glaucoma?  One day at a time is Everything!  Thanks for your support!  

🥂 Cheers to all celebrating milestones!  Life is Good!  

Smooth travels to all who are away, and happy cruising to all those aboard!  Thanks for sharing with us! 🚢

Appreciation to Sandi and all who make this gathering place possible 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 where we can half our burdens and double our joys!  
Maureen—

Thank you Maureen for your nice comments to me and the others who offer support to the group each day.  Hoping your DH gets some relief from his eye issues.  

8 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

As I indicated earlier my visit to Lanzarote was on the Wind Star.  I did a ship's tours to a couple of distant sites.  The Island is volcanic with an observatory at a 1000 foot peak and a nice view:

1stoverlook.jpg

We went on to a higher peak with another overlook, this one at 1430 feet, looking down on the island of Graciosa, with a population of 100.

delrio.jpg

Our final stop was down near the water at Jameos del Agua. A very wide lava tube runs beneath the surface; open at each end, and there is lush vegetation. A series of bars and restaurants have been built into the tube, and in the middle there is a salt water lagoon. . A second lagoon and a large underground auditorium are also part of the system.

jameos1.jpg

jameos2.jpg

jameos3.jpg

jameos4.jpg

jameos5.jpg

By the way, while Windstar ships have sails, they are not really sailing ships; the sails are probably mostly for show and are computer controlled.  On each transatlantic (Surf in 2010, Star in 2014) we briefly shut down the engines and moved slowly along (I think about 5kt)  While I rarely find rough seas problematic, even in a calm ocean at that speed I got quite queezy at the motion.

Roy

Thanks to you Roy and also Graham @grapau27 for your photos from Lanzarote.  Nice to see all the different things the islands have to offer.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning from a warm and cloudy day at the beach

Had heavy rain and thunderstorms yesterday with more expected today. Was going to golf today but thats out. I do not mess around with lightening.  It is amazing how many ignore the warnings.

I do have a few Australian friends but not close enough to hug. Love pretzels. It is a good snack. Never been to the Canary Islands. Thanks for the pictures.

Port Canaveral is also a very busy cargo port as well as for the cruise ships.  THere are 3 ships now lined up waiting to go in.

@dfish Happy Birthday and many more ! Enjoy your Birthday lunch.

@ottahand7  Special prayers to you today. Hope your memories bring you comfort.

Have to do a few errands before the rains come.

Charlene

• Like 23

@dfish  Debbie, wishing you a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY!  Enjoy your birthday lunch with your sister.

HBBalloons.jpg.b6f9e2c64497465726a5d33d364f9c08.jpg

May you have many more happy birthdays and years filled with walks, Farkle Fridays and last but not least cruises.

Lenda

• Like 20

@marshhawkI don't think HAL gives everybody tiles, but all past cruisers.  One of the nice things about HAL is they consider anybody who has sailed with any of the Carnival brands a past cruiser.  I will suggest giving HAL your VIFP numbers as soon as possible.

Roy

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Good morning! Just waking up and staying in bed for awhile to stay warm. Room is still cold and by the feel of things the sea is still churning. We are looking forward to tonight’s David Burke Chefs/Wine dinner. Last night we were surprised when he and beautiful companion came into MDR and dined at a table next to us. We kind of assumed a guest chef of his fame would have been a guest of Executive chef or officer.

We did hear some sad news yesterday that the  medical emergency we had after leaving San Diego the other night was for the death of solo lady fellow guest.

@dfish Debbie I do wish you a Happy Birthday.

@kazu Jacqui I do pray your procedure goes well with little pain and healing results.

Definitely feeling the Pacific is a little rougher than yesterday. This segment of cruise one gets the sense there are a lot of new cruisers onboard.

Went to main Showroom last night and enjoyed three very talented men and a woman put on a high energy singing performance. I believe we are experiencing some new shows for the Alaskan season. We haven’t seen Step One Dancers since the beginning of our cruise. We have enjoyed the new entertainment.

Time to get up and moving. Thanks to all who contribute to the Daily read. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.2316b72a302a738c4f349679f4ef1fa8.jpegimage.jpeg.24b0fc9c488ea5196c06fd5c7de180ad.jpegimage.jpeg.43f1b4b35c75cac4a7d76ae6228a133c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.794cd7833a8605c625dff3d47ba32ece.jpegimage.jpeg.831bac7360bf4525180452c3e6bbb4e4.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Haha 11

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  If our Australian friends were close, we would certainly give them a hug.  I was introduced to Dots pretzels a couple of years ago - they are addictive!!   We were in a lovely hotel in Tokyo a number of years ago when an earthquake that measured 6.0 took place.  At first it felt like we were on a cruise ship in rough waters, but then it started shaking, which really felt weird.

Hedy Lamarr was quite an amazing woman who also had a sarcastic streak to her; I believe this quote is a prime example.  We've enjoyed many gin tonics on BHB's, and I've never been known to turn down a glass (or bottle) of prosecco.

DH has asked me to please extend his thanks to everyone for your birthday wishes for him yesterday.  He had a very good day - his son took us out for breakfast, then he got to go shopping, and we had take out from his favourite Italian restaurant.  In between, there were many phone calls and emails wishing him a happy birthday.

Speaking of birthdays, a very Happy Birthday to @dfish, with many healthy returns of the day for you!!

Special thoughts to @ottahand7 as you mark the passing of your DH.  Anniversaries of a loved one's passing are always somber days, some are better than others.  

Wishing @kazu and @bennybear successful surgeries today, with good outcomes for both of them.

We had our first Shingrix vaccinations yesterday - I didn't even feel the injection; DH said his hurt.  Today my arm is a little tender, more like the muscle is stiff, that's all.  I'll check DH's when he gets up in a bit.

I think I'd like to try today's meal suggestion if it was on a menu for an appetizer, but can't imagine trying to make an entire meal of it - unless you're on a diet.  We still have lots of pasta left from last night's take-out, so we'll be enjoying that at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for all who are in need, cheers to everyone with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

@marshhawkI don't think HAL gives everybody tiles, but all past cruisers.  One of the nice things about HAL is they consider anybody who has sailed with any of the Carnival brands a past cruiser.  I will suggest giving HAL your VIFP numbers as soon as possible.

Roy

re past cruiser,   How do you go about giving Hal your past cruiser numbers on Princess, and or Carnival?  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Good morning Dailyites. A gloomy wet morning but should brighten up in a few hours. 

Jacqui and Brenda are on top of my prayer list today. Hoping the surgeries are quick and painless. 

image.png.ef1ba2790225838d5bf0c3f9fc29926c.png

Happy Birthday Debbie! Have fun at lunch with Sue.

image.png.c08f1e020cd11a9ef678ea7fe8fd8144.png

Taking friends and meeting friends at Lupe Tortilla today. We were supposed to help our friend (who we helped last week) move some more boxes out and sort for another estate sale next weekend. Boy does she have a mountain of things!

image.png.59888f1a8565a43ccdc40c09c965d025.png

Wishing everyone a beautiful, blessed day.

• Like 16
  • Haha 9

Happy Wednesday Morning Dailyites!  

I love the quote today, it reminds me of a line from Eat, Pray Love.  I dont think it insults women, i think it insults men. DH would eat the meal of the day, but soy is not kind to me, and tofu is out of the question.  Looks interesting though.

I love the pictures from today, @rafinmdRoy, your adventure sounds wonderful and i love the lava rock, and what appears to be some type of quartz that are over the entrances 

We turned off the water under the house for the outdoor faucets when the temperatures  got down to zero, but now the small watergarden is not getting enough rain, so it's time to turn the faucets on again.

It is cloudy, we are expecting rain on and off until Monday, but while it feels like we get a lot of rain, it  hasn't filled the water garden up.  The critters depend on that water.  I can put fresh water in a bowl, but the feral cats are not impressed.  Apparently not enough flavor.

9a85fb71087ecc3b69b16c479cf856e4.jpg

cats-1.jpg

• Like 23
  • Haha 2

Good morning all,

This was a few hours ago, off the coast of Mexico.

IMG_1091.thumb.jpeg.d0d5ca79ffa80631bc4e68ca97d6942a.jpeg

IMG_1094.thumb.jpeg.b1731073e5024e9be00380b91ee2d968.jpeg

IMG_1093.thumb.png.13818b57ce9804a51c640cd76536de9e.png

Sending thoughts and prayers for Brenda and Kazu today with their surgeries.

Has anyone had this? Apparently it’s new:

IMG_1096.thumb.jpeg.6d3552e02434b5b16894189bd06e677d.jpeg

10 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

We were in a lovely hotel in Tokyo a number of years ago when an earthquake that measured 6.0 took place.  At first it felt like we were on a cruise ship in rough waters, but then it started shaking, which really felt weird.

We were talking with our pastor a few days after a local (small) earthquake. (That quake was essentially a very little jolt and wobble.) (Our town has a fault that occasionally gets active.) He’s from the south and only came to SoCal a few years ago. Several of us were wondering what his response to the earthquake would be. He seemed to think that was typical for earthquakes and no big deal. We’re all wondering what his reaction will be when we get the next significant one. 😉

(They aren’t even related.)

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1