Coming home with Covid

lynncarol

Just a heads up.  In the last year my husband and I have been on two cruises: an ocean one and a river one  and in each case, as masking was optional, we didn't.  Both times on the last day on the cruise we got a sore throat and returning home, tested positive for Covid. (Fortunately a mild case). We are fully vaccinated and boosted and all passengers were supposed to have been also. I have reluctantly concluded that at least in the near future...no more cruises for us.

Apparently covid is still out there.  While we did get hit during a trip early last year, we have been fortunate in our travels since.  Clearly it is an individual's decision whether to avoid possible exposure.  We have sort of accepted that we could be exposed to COVID and continue to travel.   I respect your choice to hold off until you are comfortable.  

Sadly, it seems that Covid (in variants) is likely to be with us indefinitely.

The fact that your cases were mild might indicate that you will be at no more risk from Covid than from the annual flu variety.  Are you sure you are willing to abridge all future activity?

Covid is here to stay. Masked, unmasked, vaccinated or not people get infected. Just wondering - if you didn’t stop cruising because of the flu or Norovirus or the common cold or Montezuma’s Revenge or food poisoning why stop now? We’ve been on 30+ cruises. Some we have been unfortunate enough to fall ill but on most we’ve been fine. I look at it as a numbers game. I can stay home and get sick from my grandkids but I’d rather continue to travel while we’re still able. Of course if you have underlying conditions that’s a different situation. 

• Like 6

We did not cruise  & masked  everywhere we went

Feb DH went to the local Legion  did not mask up while play snooker  2 days later he tested positive

then 2-3 days later I got it

It is  still out there  even being jabbed 5 times

Plenty of people getting Covid in my home town, who haven't travelled anywhere.

I am vaccinated to the most recomended and other than normal hygiene procedures, am not curtailing activities or travelling now

Get vaccinated, avail yourself of anti virals if you get Covid and are in the criteria for such and carry on with life.

Because I dont think there is going to be a future without Covid - it will be around like influenza, whooping cough etc

But I recognise I am relatively young and no health conditions so my personal risk assessment might be different to others.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LHT28 said:

We did not cruise  & masked  everywhere we went

Feb DH went to the local Legion  did not mask up while play snooker  2 days later he tested positive

then 2-3 days later I got it

It is  still out there  even being jabbed 5 times

We have cruised (nearly 100 days post COVID), do not mask unless it is mandatory, have traveled around Europe and Asia, and have NOT had Covid.  Why?  Who knows?  Yes, we have kept up with our vaccinations (required for many of our trips and cruises), but otherwise, have done nothing special other than to use some common sense.  Why do I post this info?  Because just like the OP (who got COVID) it is just an anecdotal story.  In fact, we just returned from an 8 week trip to Asia (including a 42 day cruise) where we did not get COVID (or any other serious illness)

So here is my warning to the OP.  Staying home, wearing masks, and social distancing can also be dangerous to your health.  We say this because most of the folks, we know, who followed this routine have had COVID at least once.

We have concluded that there will be many more cruises (and travel) in our future 🙂

Hank

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This past September we sailed for 14 days but did prep before with supply of masks, sanitizer, lysol travel spray with us.

Used masks on board in certain cases and we were not along even on excursions. Unfortunately one of my Cruise Critic that TA and did our sailing and was to TA got caught on the last day of our trip. She was now going to stay in the cabin on the return trip.There were a number of those including our Cabin Stewardess affected also at the tail end. And another CC'er on our Roll Call reported three days later got it.

We returned home was happy to have come home safe and sound.

I hope sanitizer will be able but best to side on safety. 

We hope all will sail safely and enjoy the full trip and not be affected. 

I find this whole topic quite perplexing.  I occasionally develop a 'cold' after flying; congestion, coughing, feeling miserable for a few days ... that's been true for years.  So why is everyone all a-twitter about 'having covid'?  Are there other symptoms that make covid worse than the common cold?  Are there medications that make you feel better faster if you have covid?  I can't imagine not travelling because I might catch a cold.  Oddly, I've never 'caught a cold' on my way to a trip, only on the way home.  I'm 'old' but very healthy and just don't see what difference it makes if I have a cold virus or the covid virus.  Either way, I stay away from others and don't have any physical contact with anyone, even my dog.  

Edited by jsn55
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, lynncarol said:

We are fully vaccinated and boosted and all passengers were supposed to have been also. I have reluctantly concluded that at least in the near future.

I believe the vaccination requirement to cruise was dropped late Sept 2022.

Cruise passengers do not have to be vaccinated to sail (at least domestically on the typical under 10 day cruises).

24 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

I believe the vaccination requirement to cruise was dropped late Sept 2022.

Cruise passengers do not have to be vaccinated to sail (at least domestically on the typical under 10 day cruises).

But there are still reports of cases on board which will continue...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

So here is my warning to the OP.  Staying home, wearing masks, and social distancing can also be dangerous to your health.  We say this because most of the folks, we know, who followed this routine have had COVID at least once.

We have concluded that there will be many more cruises (and travel) in our future 🙂

Hank

I agree with your conclusion but would take it a step further. We have only had the very first injection because it was mandatory. Wore a mask only when forced to (and even then sometimes not). Never use sanitizer or wipes. Wash my hands as usual, no more, no less. Don’t avoid people or travel, Neither of us have had covid and have been around those who had active cases. 

People who are never exposed to anything are most susceptible. Remember the old saying “kids need to eat a little dirt”.

And we are both over 75.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, jsn55 said:

Are there other symptoms that make covid worse than the common cold?

I think we on the verge of having a conversation that Cruise Critic no longer allows; however, to answer your question -- yes, there is considerably more risk involved in Covid for those who are older or have risk factors that include obesity, reduced immunity, certain heart and lung diseases, etc. These are the people more likely to get severe Covid, and I would venture to guess there are many answering to this description among regular cruisers.

I do not worry so much about myself (fully vaccinated) but I remain very concerned about my elderly parents.  While they themselves rarely go out, it continues to worry me that someone else might inadvertently infect them. I'm pretty sure at their age it would be a serious matter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

First of all, I never said we wouldn't be traveling anymore.  Last September, before this latest river cruise, where I caught Covid, my husband and I spent 3 weeks on our own traveling in Europe and came home feeling fine. So I have every intention of continuing this method of traveling, just not by cruising.

Also, vaccine requirements were in place during our ocean cruise in late March of 2022 and were required by the countries we were visiting during our recent the river cruise in Europe.  As others have written, somehow they have managed to never get sick but we know folks our age who have,,,with serious consequences. And finally, we are both over 75, so yes, I think our concerns are justified. 

• Like 1

DH, DD and myself cruised over Christmas and New year. We shared a cabin, were together virtually 24/7 and travelled home by car. 24 hours later she tested positive for Covid, we did not. None of it makes any sense, but we will continue to cruise.

8 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

I agree with your conclusion but would take it a step further. We have only had the very first injection because it was mandatory. Wore a mask only when forced to (and even then sometimes not). Never use sanitizer or wipes. Wash my hands as usual, no more, no less. Don’t avoid people or travel, Neither of us have had covid and have been around those who had active cases. 

People who are never exposed to anything are most susceptible. Remember the old saying “kids need to eat a little dirt”.

And we are both over 75.

Two of my college students had Covid 3 - 4 times already, they “eat a lot of dirt” at college and are very exposed. My other college student only had it twice.

We enjoy sailing and meeting new passengers and Cruise Critics on board the ship.

But just like our upcoming sailing in 36 days, the ship will already have passengers on board besides those boarding from the states and internationally. 

Even the dedicated staff members will be exposed to all and can jeopardize your exposure from previous sailing.

So we will as said be alert with items on board and we bring to safeguard us, 

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

Two of my college students had Covid 3 - 4 times already, they “eat a lot of dirt” at college and are very exposed. My other college student only had it twice.

Different kind of dirt. Lol.  I refer to young children whose parents never let them touch anything that hasn’t been sterilized. They live on sanitizer. People need some exposures when their immune systems are developing, both germs and foods.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

Different kind of dirt. Lol.  I refer to young children whose parents never let them touch anything that hasn’t been sterilized. They live on sanitizer. People need some exposures when their immune systems are developing, both germs and foods.

I'm absolutely convinced of this!  I'm a horse person, and we eat dirt from the time we can reach a horse's nose to pet him.  Had dinner with two horsie friends a while ago; one 55, one 65, I'm 77.  We were each raised in the country, with clean air,  fresh food, local meats and plenty of dirt.  And we're all three remarkably healthy.  Whether it's the lack of pollution or the ingested dirt, I'll take it!  I feel sorry for the kids of today, who are growing up with no natural immunity.

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

Lol I know what you meant, I was trying to say that although they are college students, which is as germy as daycare if not more, their immune systems which have been hit with every illness known to man these past few years, they still managed to get Covid several times. I don’t work or even go out much, sat next to me sister in a car for 1 1/2 hours when she was positive with Covid with the windows closed (coming home from a vacation rental so really no choice) and I was fine. She was vaccinated, I was vaccinated, no rhyme or reason.

• Like 1

about 2 months before I cruise, I start taking daily doses VitaminD, Zinc, multi vitamin and Vitamin C.  I put a bag of Zinc and C lozenges in my carryon.  If I start feeling " odd"" I pop a lozenge every three hours for 1 day.  Of course, if people are coughing or sneezing, I go in another direction.  Like some others, I have had the first mandatory jabs, but nothing after that.  Another secret, I believe alcohol kills germs in your throat, so take a shot of Brandy at the first sign of a sore throat.  It will either go away, or you will get drunk trying to feel better.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2