The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday June 9th, 2023

richwmn

Today is Donald Duck Day, National Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Day, and Writers' Rights Day

Whatever you are, be a good one.--Abraham Lincoln

Meal Suggestion for today - Grilled Salmon Collars
Drink of the Day - Ooh La La Lemon
Wine of the Day - A.A. Badenhorst Family Secateurs Riviera Swartland 2021
Destination of the Day - Korcula Island, Korcula, Croatia

Today in History:
1934 1st appearance of Donald Duck in a cartoon, "The Wise Little Hen"

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Victoria BC, Vancouver Island, BC Canada 18:00 - 23:30

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 6-10

Nieuw Amsterdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea destination Visby, Sweden eta 10 Jun

Noordam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 11:00 - 19:00

Oosterdam

Dubrovnik, Croatia 0700-1800

Rotterdam

Tallinn, Estonia 09:00 - 20:00

Volendam

Destination Tracy Arm Fjord/Juneau, Alaska 09:00 - 09:30

Westerdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 07:00 - 13:00

Zaandam

Bar Harbor, Maine 07:00 - 17:00

Zuiderdam

South Queensferry (Edinburgh), Scotland

0609Atlantic.thumb.png.34d4e647b5a3f8cc5506bf9256d77b88.png

0609Alaska.thumb.png.4124e166c3e83687fd6c9675070ec29c.png

• Like 23
  • Thanks 17

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Dixie, and Ann for the TGIF Fleet Report and Daily.  I think I see a connection between the day in history and Donald Duck Day.  Writers Rights are extremely important.  I've often enjoyed a Strawberry-Rhubarb Crisp on a BHB which I think is pretty close to a pie.  I have never been to Croatia.  I like the Lincoln quote but will pass on the salmon.  My alternative is Chilled Peach Soup and Boston Lager Strip Loin Steak as served on MS Prinsendam June 9, 2015.

Way too many dailyites facing challenges at this time. 

Still smoky but not as bad here.  On the way to Wegmans soon but will stop on the way for a bit of a walk in the enclosed mall.

Roy

• Like 33

Today’s Care list:

Cruzn single recovering 2nd surgery

Pope Francis recovering from abdominal surgery

Smitty34877’s DH needing further surgery and chemotherapy

Heartgrove’s Sue with bouts of rapid heart rate

Summer slope with a health issue

Ktbraun’s loss of a Red Hat friend

RMLincoln’s financial account hacked

Cruzin Terri not feeling well

Marshhawk and DH Chuck recovering from Covid after cruise

Great loss of life in India due to train crash

Wildfires with smoke traveling many miles and air quality alerts

Shooting victims 

Citizens of Ukraine, dam explosion with flooding

From the rotation:

StLouisCruiser’s DB with pulmonary fibrosis

Tana’s pulmonary issues

Roy recovering from pneumonia and slowly getting stronger

Status of St. Louis Sal (6/29/22), JAM37 (6/20/22), IrishJim (10/31/22)

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Mr. Boston traveling to MI for niece’s high school graduation

Superoma’s DD DF’s house sold

Luvteaching’s DH showing continued improvement

Many Dailyites cruising or with upcoming cruises

1 day for Nickelpenny (Zaandam June 10 to 17), celebrating retirement

Suslor (Eurodam to June 10), ocean sounds (Symphony of the Seas to June 15) and aliaschief (Azamara Journey to June 28)

• Like 24
  • Thanks 9

Good morning to all.

Thank you to Rich and Vanessa for the lists.  Debbie for keeping us fed and Dixie and Ann for keeping us hydrated.

Interesting collection of days.  Cheers to Donald Duck.  I enjoy him.  But then again I like all things Disney.  I’m all for Writers’ Rights.  However I am not a fan of Strawberry Rhubarb Pie.

Today is dedicated to packing.  We leave for Jacksonville a week from today and will fly to London a week from tomorrow.  I am still trying to figure out what clothes to bring.  Usually I have little problem because I usually have summer clothes but this is harder.  Also living where I do, I don’t have many clothes for cold weather.

Prayers for all on the cares list.  You are all in my daily prayers.

Hope those who are cruising are having a great time.

Cheers to those celebrating.

Have a wonderful day.  Stay safe.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 30

Good morning friends!  It's a bit cooler this morning and I can actually feel it.  59 currently with sunshine and 83 expected later on.   Our air quality is 83 right now but will rise into the Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups range today due to smoke from Canada I guess.  I hope the rest of you are feeling some relief from that same smoke.

I have a new chore on my to do list.  Looks like Bubba's boy Cody got some of his algae cleaner on my mailbox when he parked next to it.  Now the finish is marred and I have to fix that.  I use a product that brings back the shine and if you recall did that last year with outstanding results.  I'm rather ticked at Cody for not paying closer attention.  The least he could have done is rinse it clean instead of leaving it on there.  Tsk!  Tsk!

Thank you Rich @richwmn for today's Daily and Fleet Report.  I will enjoy honoring Donald Duck, haven't a strawberry rhubarb pie anywhere near here to taste, and agree that writers' do have rights.  Interested in hearing what a salmon collar is, think the drink sounds citrusy, and have no clue what the wine is!  Thanks to Debbie @dfish , Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for giving us a clue!  And who knew Donald Duck was that old?!

Prayers for the many on the Care list.  Special prayers were said for Dixie @summer slope, my friend's brother Mark, my DB, Ren's teammates Colton and Jackson still healing, Terry's @smitty34877 DH Lou, Mary Kay @cruzn single after surgery,  Terri @Cruzin Terri not feeling well, Maureen's @RMLincoln financial woes, Jack's @Heartgrove DW Sue with health issues, and Annie @marshhawk and Chuck recovering from Covid. 🙏 But three cheers to all celebrating lately and we need more cruisers!  🚢🥂  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for your great lists!

Our port of the day is Korcula, Croatia and this is the third day for that one.  The links to Dec. 4, 2021 and June 27, 2022 are shown below.  Please feel free to retrieve your photos from there.  I'm sure Korcula is a beautiful spot but I haven't been there.  I enjoyed our stops in other Croatian ports though.  I checked and we've had 6 different ports in Croatia.  

Hoping everyone has a great day, and perhaps not take any deep breaths outside until the smoke all blows over.  

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

Good morning everyone!   We had a beautiful drive yesterday and had an enjoyable road trip.  It is 40 degrees now and 66 in the cabin again but we will open the windows when it warms up to the 80s today.  Rain in the forecast for Monday and Tuesday.  

Thanks for the Daily reports @richwmn.  I like Donald Duck.  A wonderful quote by Lincoln.   Pass on the salmon and the sweet drink and my guess the wine is from SA, if so not a favorite.  I never could "get" their wines.  @JazzyVThanks for compiling our Cares and Celebrations reports.    Lots of things to keep track of for us on the Daily.  Prayers for everyone needing them and the people of Ukraine.   Have a wonderful Friday. Nancy

Last night's wing dinner at our local restaurant - 40 minutes away. 

IMG_20230608_160816947.jpg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for our Daily TGIF, Rich.

Nice collection of days.  I’ll gladly celebrate them all but I’d substitute the pie with a compote, crumble, crisp or even the jam - which reminds me, I should buy rhubarb while it is in season.  Writers rights are vital.  

The drink of the day sounds refreshing on a hot day.  Not sure what a salmon collar is.  I’ll wait for Debbie to describe it for us.  We’ve been to Croatia on the P’dam but not the port of the day.  Love the Abraham Lincoln quote.

@cruzn single thinking of you and hoping your recovery from surgery is not too difficult 🤞 

I bit the bullet and paid for the cruise and 2 of my tours that have to be prepaid for it.  The bank account just got a lot lighter 😝  

IMG_3679.jpeg.1e51678c5762d37406f31e265b404f80.jpeg

Looks like the rain demolished some of my flowers.  The early Trollius kept some flowers at least.

IMG_1686.thumb.jpeg.b18bfb5901fd6d9c37bf448cdffa5bba.jpeg

I have no idea why this one blooms so early and is so much shorter than the others.  

IMG_1685.thumb.jpeg.232023dfa64cb09ebf306b66e2a2f4bf.jpeg

My friend and old dogs’ second mother was by yesterday to return my jam jars  (hint for this year?) and seek some Garden Club advice on her rhodo that the deer had eaten (and fuss on Ivan.  Of course he brought his stuffed toy to greet her with).  She was impressed at how good he was. 👍 

Just watching the weather - it will dictate today’s schedule. Can you tell I don’t want to do the paperwork 😂 😉  

IMG_3666.jpeg.fe9c59928c4e0d80225a8980fabdbd11.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and cheers 🥂 to those celebrating.

IMG_3649.jpeg.e7e6ea7e4521136b5495d353ecade097.jpeg

Have a great Friday everyone !!!!!

• Like 27
  • Haha 8

IMG_7517.jpeg.39e1ffd4a5ee79619e5319e3ba9c3c08.jpeg

Writer’s Rights Day was only officially observed once in 1992, writers were asking for higher pay and increased copyright protection.  This was the beginning of ebooks and they were concerned about electronic rights in publishing.  Currently, the Writer’s Guild of America has been on strike since May 2.  They are demanding better pay, restricting use of artificial intelligence and  improving pay and residuals for streaming content. Thirty one years after the first Writer’s Rights Day, the fight continues.  

I love rhubarb.  I tried to grow it last year from root stock without any success.  This year I bought one plant which has produced 4 edible stalks so far, not enough for a pie.  It is expensive at the farmers market but I’ll buy some to make a pie since this is probably the last week I’ll be able to buy local strawberries too.

I come from a family who fishes and enjoy eating “collars” no bones, extra flavor.  Looking forward to @dfishrecipes.

To all on the care list, positive thoughts.

To all on the celebration list, cheers.

• Like 26

I'm all in favor of strawberry-rhubarb pie and it is in season in many places. I wasn't aware that salmon, or any fish, wore collars, but it seems that the collar of a fish is a cross-slice just behind the gills. One reference says that it's rarely seen in fish markets because the fishmongers keep it for themselves. No on the drink. The wine doesn't ring any bells, and I haven't been to Korcula.

The AQI is down to 92, "moderate," meaning that outdoor activity is considered safe except for anyone with unusual sensitivity to particulate pollution. It's likely to rain some more.

outdoors.jpg.80f77ae6357032afa13cacf5c297cb91.jpg

• Like 21
  • Haha 6

Good morning, everyone!   

It is going to be a beautiful day here in mid-Michigan.  But, we are packing up and heading to the Traverse City/ Elk Rapids area.  I'm looking forward to siblings weekend at the lake.

What is a salmon collar?

This is a cut of the fish which includes the stiff pectoral fin, parts of the belly and a sizable piece of meat covered in a fat cap under the gills. Fast becoming a 'chefs cut' of meat, it is prized for its moistness and flavor, as well as inexpensive price. If you can't find salmon collars, use a different cut of the fish.  Let's start with this recipe:  https://sportingchef.com/grilled-salmon-collars/

grilledsalmoncollars2.thumb.png.58850fb05af66639095bed3414f435dc.png

Bon Appetit had a recipe for salmon collars, but it was behind the pay wall.  It hasn't been long enough for me to qualify for free recipes  yet.  I keep getting a pop up that blocks the page and tells me the kitchen is closed.  So, I looked elsewhere.  https://honest-food.net/salmon-collar-recipe/

grilledsalmoncollars1.thumb.jpg.403d6d929e71462f4e36c50511582253.jpg

Those look pretty good!   If you prefer sweet and sticky, Sitka Salmon Shares has a recipe for you.  And, Sitka should know their salmon!  https://www.sitkasalmonshares.com/blogs/culinary/recipes/sweet-and-sticky-salmon-collars

grilledsalmoncollars3.jpg.766680b8b4d3318ccf25e4f1fbd7f272.jpg

Ok, I am off to get dressed and packed for our adventure today.  We are picking up DB Jeff at 10:00 so I must get busy!

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 10

Good morning. We can see blue skies and only have a faint hint of the smoke smell outdoors today. It is at a moderate level but so much better than the last two days.We have not been outside much except to walk the dogs briefly. Maybe today DH and I could escape the house and go somewhere, anywhere!

I have always liked Donald Duck and will celebrate writer’s rights. We have not been to Croatia and have never eaten a fish collar. I was headed to the fish market today so I will ask the friendly fish monger about collar.

@cruzn single, I hope the surgery went well and you are able to recover more comfortably.

@marshhawk, Annie, I hope you and Chuck are starting to feel better. I wish you could get groceries delivered easily. I am spoiled that way around here.The fatigue is just nasty to deal with.

Have a great day everyone

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning to everyone!

Thanks for the update. Love Donald Duck and a good collection of days!  I will take the pie without rhubarb!😁

Thoughts for those on the care list and BV to me!!  Lol!!

Having a great time with my friend. Touring Long Island and eating great food. Thank goodness the smoke has cleared. It was horrible Wednesday. Checking I have all my stuff packed for the cruise as I fly up to Boston tomorrow morning at 0715. Check in is not until 1400 (2pm) but I will try to board early. 

have a great day everyone!

• Like 23

Good Morning, thanks for today’s report.  It’s another cool overcast day with rain coming this afternoon.  I like strawberry rhubarb pie but can only come as close as a PBJ with strawberry rhubarb jam.  I’ll pass on today’s meal suggestion but still don’t know what’s on the menu for tonight.

I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.png.0801cec02d7c194f48ce8440ffbf73fa.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s R & D, Rich! Another lovely start to the day. Yesterday was a bit humid, but the ocean breezes helped. Hoping for the same today. 

Vanessa thank you for keeping up with all of our happenings. I often say “How did I miss that?” when reading your posts. 

Gym, Bindi walks, garden fertilizing, chores and some pool time will fill my day. 

IMG_1384.jpeg.b8e6ff8e233c76793c6fed463c3d5934.jpeg

IMG_1386.jpeg.b70edd596b37436cb9b57c7ea6ab15b0.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Get well & stay well everyone. 

A.A. Badenhorst Family Secateurs Riviera Swartland 2021

An orange wine! I believe this is a first for the Daily and me!  The blend adds just enough color to make it orange. And it is a dry blend. Since this may be a first for many of us, I took a screenshot of the distributor’s analysis. 

IMG_1387.jpeg.1bf5362e018a65cf476d479e8d840fca.jpeg

The good news is that it is available online with prices starting at $14.97. I definitely need to try this. 

Distributor notes

A delicate, approachable orange wine from the Badenhorst Family.

‘Riviera’ is a blend of Chenin Blanc, Semillon and Grenache Blanc, which has spent around two weeks on the skins; just enough to qualify it as an orange wine, but not so much that it’s too harsh and funky. 
For years this wine was blended into the regular Secateurs white - to add texture – but, being so delicious alone, Badenhorst decided to bottle it in its own right.  It’s juicy with peaches and bruised apples, aromatic with orange peel and a little spicy on the finish. Complex but far from scary.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, 0106 said:

@cat shepard I appreciate your daily wine posting.  🍷I have had several orange wines and have enjoyed most of them.  For those of you who would like to learn more about this type of wine Everything You Need to Know about Orange Wine

Tina

Thank you. This is fascinating. Perhaps I have never noticed an orange wine on a wine list. I will need to rectify that. 

Ann

• Like 16

Good Morning from a warm andsunny dayat the beach

It has-been  crazy weather for the last 2days with more expected this afternoon. Had a tornado touch down just south us with a lot of damage but luckily no injuries. This is very unusual for us. We get  heavy thunderstorms but only get tornadoes with hurricanes/tropical storms. Although during the thunderstorm we had wind gusts of 80mph. 

The doctor told me I cant play golf for another month. Not compaining after reading what others are going thru. I am recovering and better everyday.

@smitty34877 I am so sorry to hear about your DH. I will certainly say an extra prayer for both of you. Hope you go to the Cape. It is so nice there. My sister has a place in Dennis.

@Heartgrove Hope Sue is feeling better and they can discover what is causing the problem.

@summer slope  Hope you feel better soon.

@dfish  Safe tavels and enjoy your weekend with the family.

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Good morning. Air quality Index is under 100, much better!  Maybe even a shower today to rinse out some more of the particulate. 

Things are looking up and resolving with our banking issues. Talked with the case manager yesterday , new account, money transferred into it👍 👏🌈 We finished almost all the transfers. It’s been quite the week but we’re getting through it. 

@superoma Congrates on your excellent progress. 

@Cruzin Terri Thanks for expanding on the estate issues. It’s all way too long. You are a trooper for hauling yourselves through it.
As for clothes for Norway and the Baltics:  Your SC wardrobe will work fine. As suggested, layers is the key. You will want under layers, middle layers and outer layers. For the coldest places you’ll want under layers like leggings and a knit top you can wear under a shirt. Middle layers would be your normal clothes for cooler SC weather. For Outer layers you need something rain and wind proof like a rain jacket. I didn’t want to pack a fleece, too bulky, so for Norway’s North Cape I added an extra shirt to my layers: an under layer knit top, a t- shirt, a long sleeved warm shirt like a flannel, a rain jacket. Leggings under my jeans-type pants. I used a thin gauzy scarf around my neck and a close fitting fleece cap. And lightweight gloves, even gardening gloves if you don’t have gloves. If you don’t have a fleece hat use a scarf around your head. My rain jacket has a hood that I pulled up over the scarf and hat. North Cape was brutally cold with such strong winds we had to hold on. But that was the worst and the vast part of the time you won’t need it all. Sturdy shoes are a must, probably a second pair of some type of shoes so one pair can dry out when the primary pair gets wet. I have very utilitarian Teva lace-ups that are rainproof but if you don’t have rainproof consider taking a backup. I hope this helps. Some people had parkas but no way was I going to pack such bulkiness. I did fine with layers in the fall. You’ll be there in midsummer, long long sunny days, no cold night. You’ll need the rain jacket anyway, just add some leggings and a good under layer top, scarf to wrap your neck against the winds, and light gloves. I also saw women with ear muffs but I doubt you have any in SC!  You’ll have a grand time!  

Blessings to every one of you and all on our Care List, thank you Vanessa, all in need of healing, comfort or hope!  Protection for all impacted by the fires and the smoke!  Patience and strength for those dealing with extra-ordinary happenings. One day at a time is Everything!  It’s hard to remember there’s a horizon when you’re in the bottom of the trough but another wave is coming to lift you up!  

Cheers to all celebrating Life is Good!  Smooth travels to all who are away!  
Maureen 

Edited by RMLincoln
  • Like 23