The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday June 12th, 2023

richwmn

I finally thought that I was going to be able to celebrate one of the Days listed in Rich's starting post; but then I reread it and it is National Jerky Day, not National Jerk Day.  Oh well, better luck next time.

• Like 13
  • Haha 11

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  We used to bring along beef jerky when we went ice fishing with our friends, will pass on the PB cookies, and I'll let others have my roses.  Give me a bouquet of white daisies and I'm a happy girl.

It's cool this morning at only 16 (60F), but will be going up to 30 later in the day.  That means we'll be closing up the windows within an hour or so to help keep the cooler air in the house and then turn on the A/C later in the day.  It also means it'll be too hot for us to sit out on the deck until later in the evening, so will prepare the dining room for meals.

Our older friends are coming in today - their daughter (a retired nurse) is driving them in because her dad has a medical consultation tomorrow to see why he is having severe gastro intestinal issues.  He's lost over 50 pounds since last year, despite having been on a gluten free, dairy free food program.  Sure hope he has a good outcome from this appointment.

@catmando Wishing you a Happy Birthday with many healthy, happy returns of the day!

@kazu yikes on the insect bite; that's a horrible reaction!

Just a few things to finish up in the house before our guests arrive after lunch, then we'll settle in for a nice visit.  I'm going to give today's menu a pass (I'm too lazy to make it, but will order it in a restaurant), but will be putting a pork loin in the slow cooker out on the deck.  Although we won't be eating on the deck, we'll be having pulled pork sandwiches, coleslaw, garlic parmesan asparagus and grilled corn in the dining room tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, cheers to all with celebrations!

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 1

The Easy Pad Thai recipes look great @dfish.  I can’t imagine life without pasta; I love it!  I am always trying to eat more protein; these are two of my favorite pastas:  Simply Nature Edamame Pasta and Chickapea Pasta; both are low in carbs.

@catmandoIMG_7549.jpeg.e13a0cee7678e6071b947d0407808815.jpeg

@grapau27  I loved the narration on your videos.  Your voice is wonderful; you could read for audiobooks or do voice overs for commercials.

Edited by 0106
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, 0106 said:

The Easy Pad Thai recipes look great @dfish.  I can’t imagine life without pasta; I love it!  I am always trying to eat more protein; these are two of my favorite pastas:  Simply Nature Edamame Pasta and Chickapea Pasta; both are low in carbs.

@catmandoIMG_7549.jpeg.e13a0cee7678e6071b947d0407808815.jpeg

@grapau27  I loved the narration on your videos.  Your voice is wonderful; you could read for audiobooks or do voice overs for commercials.

Thank you for your nice words.

Graham 

• Like 9

First things first......Happy Birthday @catmando !!!!

Have a great day, relax and enjoy. 🎉🎁🎂

I love peanut butter cookies.

Love red roses, they smell so nice.

I like jerky but don't eat or buy  it that often. 😊

Prayers for all; happy celebrating to those celebrating.

Have a good Monday all!

Caron

• Like 20

Good morning from a mostly sunny central Texas.  It is 76F with a predicted high of 91F and a chance of severe thunderstones with wind and hail.  It's already been a busy morning.  I got up early to get my walk in before it got too hot. 

Then, I spent about an hour cleaning up the mess from last night's unexpected, very severe thunderstorm that came through about 11 pm.  When I looked at the weather radar last night during the storm, we were in the dark red area.  We didn't get any real damage, except one of the shutters blew off and our neighbor found it in his yard.  He said he'll put it up later.  At least that explains the banging we heard in the bedroom.  Even with all the rain, the shutters still look good this morning, so I guess they cured enough in 12 hours.

The two small tables I keep upside down on the glider when not using them, blew off and the plastic inserts came out.  The  car covers came part way off the cars, and one that was already in bad shape is just about history and ready for the garage can.  I think there was a lot of dirt blowing in the wind that got deposited in the clean port concrete.  I'll wash it off a little later this morning.  Otherwise, all I needed to do was blow the cedar tree crud and the oak leaves off the driveway and our neighbor's drive way.  

There were a few branches broken off trees in the neighborhood.  Right now, three of our neighbors are already helping one neighbor cut up the large broken branch and hauling it away.  That is the nice thing about living in our neighborhood.  We all look our for and help each other.

I hope Joy @Seasick Sailor did not have a severe thunderstorm or damage last night, since it looked like the storm was also heading her way.

While I'm not a fan of jerky (or jerks), we did find some good pepperoni jerky in Tillamook, OR, one summer.  Like Roy @rafinmd I like peanuts, but not peanut butter or peanut butter cookies, so someone else can have my cookies.  Red roses are nice, but I enjoy a spring bouquet.

The Sarah Dessen quote is good and I try not to make snap judgements until I know more, or at least, I try to keep the snap judgements to myself until I know more.  😁

I think we will be having pad Thai tonight, but I generally make it using a kit that has the sauce, rice noodles and peanuts in it and I add two scrambled eggs, veggies and chicken.  Younger DD gave me her recipe for pad Thai, but it seems like too much work.  I think we'll pass on the drink, but would like to try the wine except it's a bit pricey with shipping added.

We have not been to Sharm El Sheikh, but I would love to see it someday.

I think convicting Al Capone on tax evasion was a fitting way to end the career of one of the most famous bootleggers.  As unpopular as prohibition was, a conviction on those charges might have been difficult.

Bruce @aliaschief thank you for your pictures of Obidos.  We night make it there someday.

Jacqui, @kazu Yikes! 😱 on the bug sting and the reaction.  I hope you are feeling better today.

@Norseh2o Thank you for the pictures from Vence, France.  It looks like a lovely area.

Gerry, @ger_77 enjoy your visit with your friends and their daughter.  I hope your friend will get some answers to his problem tomorrow, and that it is an easy fix.

347413983_239301718747596_1773178278338129728_n.jpg.28c25852c413ea74ad0bed8159eaa713.jpg

352715587_206348465646537_1156904226918414211_n.thumb.jpg.e49a2e3a1833692f6bd926a1621b0d90.jpg

352300494_247139334683931_3246386800974392102_n.thumb.jpg.e80a4fe0181373fa93159f9528ab3811.jpg

352519305_806273837532460_4085234445815071004_n.jpg.922f8d2de5dc7367fb23363231b82cdc.jpg

351915812_277502978048269_6489856789750284041_n.jpg.f80241f99091e98984e543a3a4a40e7b.jpg

Lenda

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

Thanks to all for the Birthday greetings. @marshhawkAnnie is taking me out to our favorite Cajon restaurant this evening and I'm really looking forward to it. I am giving myself the best birthday present that I can. Today I became a non-smoker. Wish me determination and strong will. I am going to try to be more active with this daily Report thread. Best Wishes to All. I'll close with a picture from our recent Alaska cruise. taken on the misty fjords excursion out of Ketchikan, AL.image.thumb.jpeg.4dbf8fd5672ed62f566555d60671c3dc.jpeg

• Like 37

6 minutes ago, catmando said:

Thanks to all for the Birthday greetings. @marshhawkAnnie is taking me out to our favorite Cajon restaurant this evening and I'm really looking forward to it. I am giving myself the best birthday present that I can. Today I became a non-smoker. Wish me determination and strong will. I am going to try to be more active with this daily Report thread. Best Wishes to All. I'll close with a picture from our recent Alaska cruise. taken on the misty fjords excursion out of Ketchikan, AL.image.thumb.jpeg.4dbf8fd5672ed62f566555d60671c3dc.jpeg

Chuck, that is the best present you could give yourself and Annie.  Best wishes for successfully kicking the smoking habit.

I loved the picture from Ketchikan.  It's such a beautiful area, and you were very fortunate to have a calm, sunny day.

Lenda

• Like 17

Happy Monday Everyone.

Sunny St Petersburg has gone from late spring to summer.  May was so pleasant with lower humidity and cooler mornings, but it has now transitioned to humid and very warm.  All that is missing is our afternoon thunderstorms.  

Our neighbor summers near Traverse City, Michigan, and it was 45 this morning with a high only in the 50's expected.  She only has a space heater as it is not a "winterized cottage", so maybe not comfortable.  She did have a mother bear with two cubs to look at, which she said beats our alligator and water bird sightings.  

I wish I had followed my own thinking a couple of months ago as to investments.  I said Carnival stock was either the deal of the century or would go bankrupt.  It was $8 a share.  This morning it was $15, just about double!  Even with all the debt they took on, looks like the cruise industry has survived and is flourishing once again.

My leg is still healing from the cellulitis from the poisonous Australian red back

spider bite two months ago today.  It has been really a tough road to travel, but I'm slowly getting back to normal. Thanks for all the prayers and good wishes.

Would like to be out west to see the waterfalls with the heavy snowmelt runoff.

Would settle for being onboard a BHB sailing away, too.

20200626_150242.mp4.thumb.jpg

20211113_180255.jpg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I like jerky sometimes, peanut butter cookies and red roses. Good quote. I like the meal (but rarely eat it due to carbs/sugar), pass on the drink and yes to the wine. I like Roy's meal too.

I haven't been to Sharm El Sheikh.

It's cooler and cloudy here. We had some rain last night, and more due the next few days, which we need. I had planned to have another day at home today. But I got an early call from my Health System. When I saw the Neurologist last week, he ordered a nerve conduction/EMG study. The first I could schedule was August. They called this morning and said they had a few earlier openings, and could I come in this afternoon? So I'll be doing that later. Then maybe look for a pair of black flats; I returned the ones I'd bought for the cruise, as they were uncomfortable.

@catmando Happy Birthday! Nice to see you posting here. Congrats on the decision to stop smoking! You can do it! Beautiful photo you shared.

@aliaschief Thanks for sharing your cruise.

@kazu Oh my on getting stung by whatever that was. I hope you feel ok today. 

@dfish Safe travels home.

@rafinmd You've got a busy day. Good luck with the oral surgeon.

@Norseh2o Enjoy your time in France.

@ger_77 That's disturbing news about your friend's GI issues and weight loss.

@grapau27 It looks like you had great weather for your cruise.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Good to hear you didn't have any bad damage from the storm. 

@St Pete Cruiser I'm glad you're slowly healing from that scary, life-threatening spider bite you had.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast for those Celebrating.

Be well everyone.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

I like jerky sometimes, peanut butter cookies and red roses. Good quote. I like the meal (but rarely eat it due to carbs/sugar), pass on the drink and yes to the wine. I like Roy's meal too.

It's cooler and cloudy here. We had some rain last night, and more due the next few days, which we need. I had planned to have another day at home today. But I got an early call from my Health System. When I saw the Neurologist last week, he ordered a nerve conduction/EMG study. The first I could schedule was August. They called this morning and said they had a few earlier openings, and could I come in this afternoon? So I'll be doing that later. Then maybe look for a pair of black flats; I returned the ones I'd bought for the cruise, as they were uncomfortable.

@catmando Happy Birthday! Nice to see you posting here. Congrats on the decision to stop smoking! You can do it! Beautiful photo you shared.

@St Pete Cruiser I'm glad you're slowly healing from that scary, life-threatening spider bite you had.

Be well everyone.

Good luck for this afternoon at your nerve conduction/EMG study appointment Vanessa.

• Like 8

50 minutes ago, catmando said:

Chuck, I wish you success in your journey.

Quitting smoking was the toughest thing I have ever done.  It took me 3 tries, but I have been a non-smoker for 34 years!

Ann

• Like 18

Good morning all!

I plan to enjoy today's weather (high 70's) because we're headed for a cool spell after today.  June is turning out to have its typical weather now after the hot weather we had earlier in the month.

I'll pass on the jerky (and jerks), and the peanut butter cookies.  I like peanut butter and peanuts, just not in cookies.  Love, love red roses and have 3 red rose bushes.  IMO the quote is only half right, don't judge but do think.  I'd like the meal but don't have a lot of the ingredients -- so maybe if someone prepared it for me. 😉  Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser the kit is a good idea, if I could find one.  Will pass on the drink and red wine.  We've been to Egypt but only to Cairo and Alexandria.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Chuck @catmando!  Thank you for the beautiful photo from your cruise and you ARE giving yourself the best gift by quitting smoking. 🙂  You can do it!

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser WOW on that thunderstorm!

Jacqui @kazu Yikes about the sting on your head.  Very good it wasn't on your temple, that could have been even worse. I wonder if it was a bee.  

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

We didn't get any real damage, except one of the shutters blew off and our neighbor found it in his yard.  He said he'll put it up later.  At least that explains the banging we heard in the bedroom.  Even with all the rain, the shutters still look good this morning, so I guess they cured enough in 12 hours.

Lenda

Lenda, sorry to hear about the storm damage and mess left over from last night's storm.  Fly-away shutters can cause a lot of damage if you're unlucky.  My DD's siding on her home was damaged and a light fixture broken when her next door neighbor's shutter flew off and into DD's home.  The neighbor just came over and picked it up and didn't offer to pay for damages at all.  She said they are having to pay for $1800 in damages instead of making a claim on their insurance.  And the color of the siding doesn't match any longer after 11 years fading.  Also she's replacing all 5 outdoor lights to match so that adds up too. 🙄

1 hour ago, catmando said:

Chuck, enjoy that Cajun dinner tonight!  I'm happy to hear of your decision today to stop smoking.  Best of luck to you!   And thank you for that majestic photo from Ketchikan.⛰️

1 hour ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Happy Monday Everyone.

Sunny St Petersburg has gone from late spring to summer.  May was so pleasant with lower humidity and cooler mornings, but it has now transitioned to humid and very warm.  All that is missing is our afternoon thunderstorms.  

Our neighbor summers near Traverse City, Michigan, and it was 45 this morning with a high only in the 50's expected.  She only has a space heater as it is not a "winterized cottage", so maybe not comfortable.  She did have a mother bear with two cubs to look at, which she said beats our alligator and water bird sightings.  

I wish I had followed my own thinking a couple of months ago as to investments.  I said Carnival stock was either the deal of the century or would go bankrupt.  It was $8 a share.  This morning it was $15, just about double!  Even with all the debt they took on, looks like the cruise industry has survived and is flourishing once again.

My leg is still healing from the cellulitis from the poisonous Australian red back

spider bite two months ago today.  It has been really a tough road to travel, but I'm slowly getting back to normal. Thanks for all the prayers and good wishes.

Would like to be out west to see the waterfalls with the heavy snowmelt runoff.

Would settle for being onboard a BHB sailing away, too.

20200626_150242.mp4.thumb.jpg

20211113_180255.jpg

Hope you continue to heal from the spider bite and are soon 100%!🙏

52 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Be well everyone.

Vanessa, good luck with your nerve conduction/EMG study and shopping excursion later today.  Hoping the results are favorable in all ways.🙂

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Good morning! Fabulous Fleet Report... my first ever ship (Volendam) in one of my favourite ports (Ketchikan)! We're going back on the Volendam beginning of July and I can't WAIT.

Happy birthday @catmando

@ger_77 your pie looks AMAZING. I've never made it myself but you're inspiring me... my daughter has to be gluten free but I have finally found a good gluten free pie crust, so I should give this a try for sure. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Doing some late planning for our July cruise today. I just purchased the HIA package which I'm quite excited about - well, it is our first holiday just the 2 of us since having a kid, and she turns 10 just after we return! We did do 1 night in Vancouver one time I suppose. Soooo... I think some drinks are called for, right?  😂

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

Good afternoon everyone. Thanks for the dailies. 

Quick note. In Halifax. Walked up to Citadel and was there for the canon firing at noon. Oh heavens!!  I not so sure my heart has restarted!!😂

having a great time. Didn’t get the internet this time so am restricted to connecting in port. 

LOVE my ocean view and really love this ship. 

Have a great Monday all!

• Like 20

2 hours ago, catmando said:

Thanks to all for the Birthday greetings. @marshhawkAnnie is taking me out to our favorite Cajon restaurant this evening and I'm really looking forward to it. I am giving myself the best birthday present that I can. Today I became a non-smoker. Wish me determination and strong will.

Good for you, Chuck!  Best wishes in your efforts.  Commendable !

38 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Jacqui @kazu Yikes about the sting on your head.  Very good it wasn't on your temple, that could have been even worse. I wonder if it was a bee.  

You’re right on the temple.  It definitely wasn’t a bee, wasp or hornet.  It was large with big wings.  I’ve never seen it before.  I was guessing something like a horse fly but no reason for one to be around here.  🤷‍♀️ 

6 minutes ago, Nickelpenny said:

Good afternoon everyone. Thanks for the dailies. 

Quick note. In Halifax. Walked up to Citadel and was there for the canon firing at noon. Oh heavens!!  I not so sure my heart has restarted!!😂

having a great time. Didn’t get the internet this time so am restricted to connecting in port. 

LOVE my ocean view and really love this ship. 

Have a great Monday all!

So glad you are enjoying your cruise 👍 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2