richwmn

Today is Ice Cream Soda Day, National Bald Eagle Day, and World Refugee Day

How sweet it is! - Jackie Gleason

Meal Suggestion for today - Seafood Fried Rice
Drink of the Day - Watermelon Mai Tai
Wine of the Day - Maude Pinot Noir Central Otago Poison Creek 2020
Destination of the Day - Conflict Islands PNG, Papua New Guinea

Today in History:
1969 200,000 attend Newport '69, then largest-ever pop concert in Northridge, California. Jimi Hendrix gets $120,000 to appear

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 20:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 07:00 - 15:00

Nieuw Statendam

Bergen, Norway 08:00 - 17:00

Noordam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 08:30 - 18:30

Oosterdam

Souda-Chania, Crete Greece 08:00 - 16:00

Rotterdam

Alesund, Norway 08:00 - 17:00

Volendam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 6-21

Westerdam

Juneau, Alaska 13:00 - 21:00

Zaandam

Prince Edward Island, Charlottetown, Canada 08:00 - 17:00

Zuiderdam

At Sea destination Seydisfjordur, Iceland eta 22 Jun

0620Alaska.thumb.png.0c42324f312dfdfc4e1c9e473ae4d0c3.png

0620Atlantic.thumb.png.a21d9521435b32cb8037ccdfed5896fc.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 15

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

A nice summery day here, sunny and a high of 28°C (82°F).

I haven't had an ice cream soda in years, maybe I'll have one today.  I occasionally see a bald eagle around here.  Prayers for refugees.

I like the quote.

The meal sounds good, so does the cocktail, hope the wine is tasty.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a great day.

• Like 30

Good morning.

It is raining and 66°F here in North East England.

Thank you Rich @richwmn for producing today's reports.

I last had ice cream soda about 55 years ago.

Genuine refugee's need our help and support.

Today's food sounds good.

Prayers for the 5 people in the submarine that went down to see the Titanic 2 miles down and no word from them.

I hope everyone is safe and well.

Graham.

• Like 28

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report.  An ice cream soda is the perfect summertime drink.  Here’s to bald eagles our majestic national bird. Refugees deserve a chance for a fresh start, I can’t imagine what forces someone to leave everything behind.  Fun quote, I can still hear him saying it.  The meal and drink sound tasty.  I haven’t been to today’s port.  Prayers for those on our prayer list.  Cheers to those celebrating happy events today!

• Like 27

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Dixie, and Ann.  If Gleason had been to Newport '69 he could have said "How Sweet it Is".  Bald Eagles are majestic and Refugees need our support.  I used to love Ice Cream Sodas but have not seen them recently, although I sometimes get a float.  I haven't been to today's port and it is not a lot used.  I looked at cruisetimetables.com and the only BHB they show is Noordam on 1/17/25.  As usual, I'll pass on the seafood.  My alternative is HAL Movie Theater Popcorn as served on my 2019 Nieuw Statendam Transatlantic. 

I think today  will be a quiet day.

Roy

• Like 32

Thanks for our Tuesday Daily, Rich.

Nice collection of days - especially National Bald Eagle Day & World Refugee Day.  We all need to band together to help the too many refugees.  Wouldn’t it be nice if the world was saner so that there were no refugees?

The meal & drink of the day sound intriguing.  And oh my on Jackie Gleason’s quote.  That brings back fond memories.  No one could say it like him.

IMG_3799.jpeg.0a93553a9e32058cddd93392b082a7a1.jpeg

Sorry I wasn’t on yesterday - I tried to follow along but my week was not off to a good start 😔  I had a long, worrisome (and expensive) day at the Emergency Vet.  Ivan was not right late Sunday afternoon - evening and when he wouldn’t eat or drink yesterday morning off we went.  I feared he was in pain.  I was right.  There may be another issue - but we hope not.  As long as he eats and drinks now and takes his meds, he will hopefully be ok.  My vet will be here in 3 weeks to take another blood profile and check.

IMG_3798.jpeg.83d61c3fb7e21baac35f9e768afd0162.jpeg

The vet yesterday suspects he was not walked at the rate his previous owner claimed and suggested I keep his walks short with breaks in between to build up his muscle and stamina.  I postponed my appointment for today to be here with him and assuming all is good, we’ll do some gardening.

It’s tough facing this stuff alone, but it has to be done.  For my widow and widower friends, I posted this on FB as I think it is so true.  I thought I would share with you.

IMG_3789.thumb.jpeg.163a45735d4615749724dde86cedbb71.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list & for those that need them and cheers 🥂 to those celebrating.

IMG_0743.jpeg.5b2ad0884fc4fc226399dab9e2db5f82.jpeg

Have a good Tuesday everyone.

• Like 35
  • Thanks 11

Good Morning to All!!  

Thank you for the report.  My cruise was fantastic and I am now on my way back to AZ driving with my friend.  We went to Gettysburg yesterday and we are heading to Luray VA then on to Lexington - St Louis.  Having a great time.

Just a short pop-in to say hi!!

Have a great day everyone!!

• Like 31

Today’s Care list:

Smitty34877’s DH needing further surgery and chemotherapy

Summer slope with a health issue

Srdamcer with C. Diff infection

Marshhawk recovering from Covid 

Victims of bus crash in Manitoba

Two PA State Troopers shot - 1 deceased, 1 in serious condition

Canadian wildfires and tornado victims 

Shooting victims again

Citizens of Ukraine, dam explosion with flooding

From the rotation:

StLouisCruiser’s friend’s brother Mark with bile duct cancer

Tana’s pulmonary issues

Scrapnana getting chemotherapy

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Good luck to StLouisCruiser’s Ren and team today

Marshhawk back online

RMLincoln’s DH with good eye pressure readings

Sharon in AZ at Mt Lemmon for a week

Luvteaching’s DH showing continued improvement

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Many Dailyites cruising or with upcoming cruises

Cruising/At Sea:

1 day for Cruzin Terri (Oceania Marina June 21 to July 23)

aliaschief (Azamara Journey to June 28)

• Like 28
  • Thanks 12

Good morning everyone.  The road work didn't begin yesterday but we hear today is the day.  We are heading to town, we haven't picked up mail in two weeks.  Then to the big city and I will get my nails done while John shops for groceries then a matinee at the local theater.  Perfect for a hot day.  

Thanks for the Daily reports.  Many additional refugees caused by the invasion of Ukraine.  Bald Eagles heard or seen here every day.   Pass on all three comestibles today, too carb heavy, too sweet and too rare.   Thanks for researching these for us each day.  

Thanks for our Cares and Celebrations reports Vanessa.  Prayers for everyone needing them and the people of Ukraine and the refugees around the world.  Have a great Tuesday. Nancy 

IMG_20230619_072657355_HDR.jpg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Good morning friends!  We  have partly cloudy skies and 67 degrees this morning.  High will be 82 but a chance of thunderstorms, especially this afternoon.  I hope I don't get caught in a deluge after my hair appointment later on.

Thank you Rich @richwmn for posting the Daily and Fleet Report for us.  A variety of days today.  An ice cream soda was a treat for us as children, and I don't think I've often had one since those days.  I  like bald eagles and support having a day of recognition for them.  As Graham @grapau27 said, genuine refugees need our support.  Who doesn't remember Jackie Gleason saying "How sweet it is!"?  I would like the menu suggestion today if it contained shrimp but not every kind of seafood.  A watermelon mai tai sounds unusual and I would pass on the pinot noir.  Hopefully Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard will have lots of interesting information on the food and beverages.  

I don't remember hearing about the Newport festival in 1969 but I was busy working and getting married that year.  Did anyone here attend it?

Prayers this morning for our Care list people, especially those in the submersible who have lost contact.  I don't know that this will end well.  Hoping for a miracle.🙏  Three cheers for the Celebration list lucky people!  Good luck to the Michigan Jaguars this morning as they meet up against Miami Rush Kendall SC at 8:30 a.m. central time.  Hopefully there are no injuries and it's a fair game.    GO REN!   Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for compiling it for us.

The port today is an unusual one and never seen here before.  Conflict Islands, Papua New Guinea.  I checked and the ports in Papua New Guinea I went to were not on Conflict Islands.  Then I found a little information for cruise ship passengers going to Conflict Islands.  A few other cruise lines have been there before and Holland America looks like it will be soon as Roy @rafinmd said.  Here is the article about this private resort island.  

https://www.thetraveltemple.com.au/conflict-islands-tips-for-cruise-ship-passengers/

Wishing everyone here a safe and happy day doing something you enjoy!

Edited by StLouisCruisers
credit to Vanessa
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  We  have partly cloudy skies and 67 degrees this morning.  High will be 82 but a chance of thunderstorms, especially this afternoon.  I hope I don't get caught in a deluge after my hair appointment later on.

Thank you Rich @richwmn for posting the Daily and Fleet Report for us.  A variety of days today.  An ice cream soda was a treat for us as children, and I don't think I've often had one since those days.  I  like bald eagles and support having a day of recognition for them.  As Graham @grapau27 said, genuine refugees need our support.  Who doesn't remember Jackie Gleason saying "How sweet it is!"?  I would like the menu suggestion today if it contained shrimp but not every kind of seafood.  A watermelon mai tai sounds unusual and I would pass on the pinot noir.  Hopefully Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard will have lots of interesting information on the food and beverages.  

I don't remember hearing about the Newport festival in 1969 but I was busy working and getting married that year.  Did anyone here attend it?

Prayers this morning for our Care list people, especially those in the submersible who have lost contact.  I don't know that this will end well.  Hoping for a miracle.🙏  Three cheers for the Celebration list lucky people!  Good luck to the Michigan Jaguars this morning as they meet up against Miami Rush Kendall SC at 8:30 a.m. central time.  Hopefully there are no injuries and it's a fair game.    GO REN!

The port today is an unusual one and never seen here before.  Conflict Islands, Papua New Guinea.  I checked and the ports in Papua New Guinea I went to were not on Conflict Islands.  Then I found a little information for cruise ship passengers going to Conflict Islands.  A few other cruise lines have been there before and Holland America looks like it will be soon as Roy @rafinmd said.  Here is the article about this private resort island.  

https://www.thetraveltemple.com.au/conflict-islands-tips-for-cruise-ship-passengers/

Wishing everyone here a safe and happy day doing something you enjoy!

Good luck to Ren and his team today Sandi @StLouisCruisers.

I hope you avoid the thunderstorm which is forecast for this afternoon in your area when you go for your hairdresser appointment.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Just a quick post to share what info about the wine I could find. I am at the dealer’s for routine maintenance and using my phone. Let’s just say it has been painful. 

Stay well everyone. 

Maude Pinot Noir Central Otago Poison Creek 2020

Another elusive New Zealand wine. If you can find it, or find someone who is willing to ship to you, the online starting price is $30.55. 

Distribution notes 

Vintage Summary
The year no-one will ever forget, 2020. Our 2020 growing season followed a very mild winter, bud burst coincided perfectly with very cool Spring conditions, thankfully we avoided any damage from 3 significant frosts. Spring conditions remained cool with intermittent periods of rain. Flowering as a result was interrupted and drawn out which affected our fruit set, we knew we were in for a light cropping year. With the beginning of the calendar year, the weather settled, warmed up and despite our initial predictions that we would need to do a lot of green thinning to even up the crop, we found the tiny
berry size and bunch weights ripened easily in the warmer conditions. A year where the small berries, light bunches and cool ripening conditions has meant flavours are ripe and concentrated, with good vibrancy and acidity

• Like 25
  • Thanks 8

Good morning, everyone. Thank you for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

The fried rice is a go for me. I will also try the watermelon mai tai. While in Alaska, I got to see several bald eagles. 

Today is cloudy and a little cooler here. I will be going into the office to do some work and see some clients. 

Planning my next cruise for 2025. It will be to Alaska again. So much yet to see and do!

Thinking of you all. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

• Like 31

Good morning,

We are in a heat wave here in Kansas with temps 90 plus. It is cooling down to high 60’s at night so I can walk in the early morning. I never liked ice cream sodas, there was a bald eagle nest near my parents home in Minnesota where we enjoyed watching the baby’s every year. The clinic I worked in served immigrants and refugees. Their humbling stories moved me and I probably have a slightly different perspective on why people leave the homes they loved looking for a safe place. Unless I am walking in their shoes I don’t think I can judge who is a genuine refugee or not. 

Jacqui I am sorry Ivan is not doing well. I hope he turns around soon.   Terri I hope you had a good night of sleep and you both are more rested today. The nice thing about a cruise is you can do nothing but enjoy the scenery if you are tired and someone is cooking and cleaning for you. I have a busy day meeting friends for lunch and dinner so I better get walking. 

Prayers for all in need and have a great day. 

• Like 32
  • Thanks 2

Just returned from our excursion. We visited Chateau De Goulaine where Marquis still resides and the 15th Century ruins of Fortress Chateau De Clisson. We also had a walk through the local market and enjoyed a great baguette sandwich and of course a glass of blanco vin.
Did find out about all the folks that showed up to see our sail in. Turns out we are the first ship to visit Nantes this year and they only get a couple  cruise ships visits a year. So it’s quite the novelty here.

It’s nap time. 
Thanks for the report and postings.

Bruce

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 33
  • Thanks 4

Good morning, everyone.  

It is going to be another beautiful day here in mid-Michigan.  It is currently 66F with a predicted high of 81F.  We have nothing on the agenda for today except a walk.  Maybe a trip to the big box store for paper products.  We shall see.  

I remember going to the soda fountain for ice cream sodas with my mom.  It was a nice treat now and then.  And a nice time with my mom.

Today's meal is one I will pass on due to the carbs.  Rice is problematic for me, so I generally skip it.  The nice thing about this dish is that you can basically use the ingredients you want and leave out the ingredients you don't want.  So, @StLouisCruisers Sandi, if you want only shrimp, only use shrimp.  https://www.aheadofthyme.com/10-minute-seafood-fried-rice/

seafoodfriedrice1.thumb.jpg.9c1748f8be6431a2b84b1570c5923d9f.jpg

One recipe site described this dish as being very forgiving, meaning you can easily substitute ingredients or tailor them to your tastes.   https://www.averiecooks.com/easy-better-takeout-shrimp-fried-rice/

seafoodfriedrice2.thumb.jpg.54ce7424b0c494b95ecf913a75aa209f.jpg

Here's one that actually uses more than just shrimp.  https://gingerandseasalt.com/seafood-fried-rice/

seafoodfriedrice3.thumb.jpg.28dab00469fdf5a192eb016a4c571259.jpg

Here's one that will sound familiar to many.  https://soyummyrecipes.co.uk/nasi-goreng-seafood-indonesian/

seafoodfriedrice4.thumb.jpg.f252a9b14cddd1d411d92936a2a34d7e.jpg

Happy Birthday to all the celebrating spouses.    Healing thoughts to Ivan in care of @kazu Jacqui.  Best wishes for today's soccer game.  Wishing you all a wonderful day.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 11

8 minutes ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone.  

It is going to be another beautiful day here in mid-Michigan.  It is currently 66F with a predicted high of 81F.  We have nothing on the agenda for today except a walk.  Maybe a trip to the big box store for paper products.  We shall see.  

I remember going to the soda fountain for ice cream sodas with my mom.  It was a nice treat now and then.  And a nice time with my mom.

Today's meal is one I will pass on due to the carbs.  Rice is problematic for me, so I generally skip it.  The nice thing about this dish is that you can basically use the ingredients you want and leave out the ingredients you don't want.  So, @StLouisCruisers Sandi, if you want only shrimp, only use shrimp.  https://www.aheadofthyme.com/10-minute-seafood-fried-rice/

seafoodfriedrice1.thumb.jpg.9c1748f8be6431a2b84b1570c5923d9f.jpg

One recipe site described this dish as being very forgiving, meaning you can easily substitute ingredients or tailor them to your tastes.   https://www.averiecooks.com/easy-better-takeout-shrimp-fried-rice/

seafoodfriedrice2.thumb.jpg.54ce7424b0c494b95ecf913a75aa209f.jpg

Here's one that actually uses more than just shrimp.  https://gingerandseasalt.com/seafood-fried-rice/

seafoodfriedrice3.thumb.jpg.28dab00469fdf5a192eb016a4c571259.jpg

Here's one that will sound familiar to many.  https://soyummyrecipes.co.uk/nasi-goreng-seafood-indonesian/

seafoodfriedrice4.thumb.jpg.f252a9b14cddd1d411d92936a2a34d7e.jpg

Happy Birthday to all the celebrating spouses.    Healing thoughts to Ivan in care of @kazu Jacqui.  Best wishes for today's soccer game.  Wishing you all a wonderful day.

Your first two photos look exactly like our shrimp fried rice.  I'd better check out the recipes to see if there's anything we miss using.🍤

• Like 21

Good morning from a very uncomfortable central Texas.  At 7:30 am it is already 80F and feels like 88F.  The humidity is 97% with a dew point of 78F.  It will reach at least 100F this afternoon with a higher heat index.  We keep the house cool at night, and the windows are covered in condensation our the outside this morning.  I can see outside now, but earlier the view was obscured by the condensation.  It is also cloudy with a breeze, but I doubt I'll be taking my walk this morning.   I'll be running my errands this morning before it gets too hot.  

@StLouisCruisersUnfortunately, Sandi, the weather is about the same in Frisco where the Jaguars and Ren will be playing in less than an hour.  The only difference is it is warmer there than here.  Wishing the team good luck and hoping the heat and humidity does not cause them any problems.

I was never a fan of ice cream sodas, but do like a root beer float, while DH likes coke floats.  Bald eagles are majestic birds, but because of their diet, they are rather smelly up closed.  Besides a day to honor world refugees, we need to treat all refugees better.

Jackie Gleason owned the line, "How sweet it is!"

I would enjoy the meal, especially if it was the crab fried rice in the Tamarind.  I prefer a plain Mai Tai, and would like to try the wine if it was not so elusive and pricey.

We have not been to today's port, and I had to Google it.

Interesting about the Newport Festival in1969. but we were busy with DH in the Army and me working.

@kazu Jacqui, I hope Ivan feels better soon. 

@Nickelpenny Penny. I'm glad you enjoyed your cruise, and are having a good time with your friend heading back to AZ.  Safe travels.

352527896_739281351538956_5151468064898255421_n.jpg.33a2b22d8e67c12cceda34f4bf8a1cc4.jpg

353433222_808147457345098_2931563613467564781_n.thumb.jpg.0370711e895d51c1e7a4f6f5684f5930.jpg

353453523_636576228505388_7999128339190122821_n.thumb.jpg.d24e0ee66ad48adf9266d70246d896a7.jpg

353632178_304183271931496_3497851949765123124_n.jpg.09eda4c5b2ce31f85e0d649c4969c44d.jpg

354029960_6567160503334107_6242308634464975187_n.thumb.jpg.b969c6d53dcdfd2ac448b36cef58ce3a.jpg

354046513_653499560144003_7332438083614265907_n.jpg.7f5666ec7c2f794c06dba92d5ed82dd5.jpg

Lenda

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 21

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I haven't had an ice cream soda in years - much prefer floats.  DH makes great floats out of almost any kind of pop; they always have a huge amount of foam, my favourite part.  We occasionally see bald eagles flying over the city - they really are majestic.  Bless the refugees; we all hope never to have to be in that position where we are forced by circumstances to leave all that is comfortable and familiar.

We heard the news yesterday about the missing submersible; I fear it may never be retrieved and feel terrible for those inside.  Being claustrophobic, just the thought of 5 people crammed into that little pod gives me the willies.  Prayers for all involved.

We finally made the decision to book another cruise - life is too short, we're losing too many friends, and it was just time.  We're booked on the Eurodam for 3 delightful weeks in January and were able to get a cabin we've had twice before in a location we're happy with, so the stars aligned.  It always feels good to have a cruise on the books, it's something to look forward to.

Not a lot on the agenda today, some laundry, maybe a trip to the Salvation Army thrift store to drop off more clothes and "things" no longer needed.  After that, I'm still continuing with my sewing coasters; I've already got 15 sets made and there is more fabric to go through!

@StLouisCruisers good luck to Ren's team today!

@kazu I do hope Ivan's ills are short lived and you can relax comfortably with him again.

@Cruzin Terri I hope you're feeling better and have more energy today.

I'd like to try today's drink, as watermelon is a lovely summertime treat, and would also enjoy the wine - an affordable red, yay!  I haven't made fried rice in a long time, but will wait for a cooler day to do so.  DH has requested burgers, so there are home made beef patties thawing in the fridge that he'll barbecue and we'll enjoy them with corn on the cob on the deck tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 33
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, kazu said:

Thanks for our Tuesday Daily, Rich.

Nice collection of days - especially National Bald Eagle Day & World Refugee Day.  We all need to band together to help the too many refugees.  Wouldn’t it be nice if the world was saner so that there were no refugees?

The meal & drink of the day sound intriguing.  And oh my on Jackie Gleason’s quote.  That brings back fond memories.  No one could say it like him.

IMG_3799.jpeg.0a93553a9e32058cddd93392b082a7a1.jpeg

Sorry I wasn’t on yesterday - I tried to follow along but my week was not off to a good start 😔  I had a long, worrisome (and expensive) day at the Emergency Vet.  Ivan was not right late Sunday afternoon - evening and when he wouldn’t eat or drink yesterday morning off we went.  I feared he was in pain.  I was right.  There may be another issue - but we hope not.  As long as he eats and drinks now and takes his meds, he will hopefully be ok.  My vet will be here in 3 weeks to take another blood profile and check.

IMG_3798.jpeg.83d61c3fb7e21baac35f9e768afd0162.jpeg

The vet yesterday suspects he was not walked at the rate his previous owner claimed and suggested I keep his walks short with breaks in between to build up his muscle and stamina.  I postponed my appointment for today to be here with him and assuming all is good, we’ll do some gardening.

It’s tough facing this stuff alone, but it has to be done.  For my widow and widower friends, I posted this on FB as I think it is so true.  I thought I would share with you.

IMG_3789.thumb.jpeg.163a45735d4615749724dde86cedbb71.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list & for those that need them and cheers 🥂 to those celebrating.

IMG_0743.jpeg.5b2ad0884fc4fc226399dab9e2db5f82.jpeg

Have a good Tuesday everyone.

I am so sorry Ivan is feeling poorly. I sent my DSIL your  quote about widowhood and she said it is very true. Thank you for sharing that.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1