Laptop in stateroom...?

5 minutes ago, tommybahamaX said:

Is it safe to leave your laptop out?  I have a 16" Macbook that wont fit in the safe, typically in hotels i just leave it out but not sure about a cruise.

I’d leave it out on a ship 100 times over before a hotel.  That’s my opinion.  

• Like 13

4 minutes ago, tommybahamaX said:

Is it safe to leave your laptop out?  I have a 16" Macbook that wont fit in the safe, typically in hotels i just leave it out but not sure about a cruise.

Safer on a cruise than a hotel. Cruise is captive, cant get far away so I'd think more safe.

I do sometimes put tech stuff out of view if the door is open, I've seen the steward in the bathroom with my door wide open  and anyone could duck in. So doesnt hurt not to leave it out in the open. 

• Like 2

I've been taking my MacBook Pro on every cruise since 2013 and have always left it in plain sight in the cabin. If you are concerned, put it in one of your empty suitcases under the bed and lock the suitcase.

• Like 2

I'd have no problem with it. Maybe I'd put it in a drawer or something but that would be more to make sure it doesn't accidentally get damaged (also unlikely).

The locked suitcase idea is a good one.

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Like 3

I use a Surface Pro X, and it fits in almost all shallow and wide drawer in the cabins' "desk" areas. 

If not, I store it inside the cabinets on top of the safe, packed in a plain gray zippered case, or in my KYSS bag.  The little padlock that comes with the bag fits through the zipper pulls on the bag, so it cannot be opened or easily taken. 

Most crew will not touch a laptop sitting out:  they want to keep their jobs.  Many passengers walking by WILL take it.

That bag is also fabulous for traveling solo. I chain my luggage and the bag to a table when I get food in airports.  No more juggling it all while I get carryout food.

Sketch - New Features - Med Royal Blue and Red - 050721.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, pcur said:

I use a Surface Pro X, and it fits in almost all shallow and wide drawer in the cabins' "desk" areas. 

If not, I store it inside the cabinets on top of the safe, packed in a plain gray zippered case, or in my KYSS bag.  The little padlock that comes with the bag fits through the zipper pulls on the bag, so it cannot be opened or easily taken. 

Most crew will not touch a laptop sitting out:  they want to keep their jobs.  Many passengers walking by WILL take it.

That bag is also fabulous for traveling solo. I chain my luggage and the bag to a table when I get food in airports.  No more juggling it all while I get carryout food.

Sketch - New Features - Med Royal Blue and Red - 050721.jpg

Many passengers waking by will take your laptop?   Respectfully disagree.  A very very small %, yes possibly.  But a stupid move on a ship either way.  

Regardless, hotel or ship I would not leave anything valuable laying out.   I always put my laptop back in my backpack when not using it.  I put expensive jewelry or money in the safe.   It take no time at all so why not at least make it harder for the rare person with bad intentions.  

23 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

I leave mine out in plain sight all day, every day, every cruise. 

I assume you don’t use it for work?   The data I have on my computer is not worth leaving it laying out when it takes about 5 seconds to put it out of sight. 

We returned from going for a swim to find our cabin door wide open - door stop keeping it that way. An electrician was in our cabin unannounced, changing a light fixture in the bathroom. Instead of parking his rather large electrician cart in front of the door blocking a stranger from entering our cabin, he parked it just past the door leaving our cabin wide open for anyone walking down the hall to enter. On the vanity we had a Macbook Air, two iPhones, two Apple Watches, two AirPods all sitting out charging. To say we were upset is an understatement. He then proceeded to tell us that it was going to be another 20-30 minutes before he would be finished his work. On formal night. 45 minutes before dinner started. We were not amused. Normally we don't leave electronics out in the open, but since we knew our cabin stewart was not due to service the room until 7pm we did not expect some random worker to enter without prior notice. RCI was very apologetic.

• Like 1

I'm the paranoid type, so I'd put it back in the bag if I wasn't in the room.  I'm sure part of the contract is Royal isn't responsible for items not in the safe.  

There are probably hundreds of thousands of examples of folks leaving electronics out with no issue, but I would still put the computer out of sight.

1 hour ago, cello56 said:

We returned from going for a swim to find our cabin door wide open - door stop keeping it that way. An electrician was in our cabin unannounced, changing a light fixture in the bathroom. Instead of parking his rather large electrician cart in front of the door blocking a stranger from entering our cabin, he parked it just past the door leaving our cabin wide open for anyone walking down the hall to enter. On the vanity we had a Macbook Air, two iPhones, two Apple Watches, two AirPods all sitting out charging. To say we were upset is an understatement. He then proceeded to tell us that it was going to be another 20-30 minutes before he would be finished his work. On formal night. 45 minutes before dinner started. We were not amused. Normally we don't leave electronics out in the open, but since we knew our cabin stewart was not due to service the room until 7pm we did not expect some random worker to enter without prior notice. RCI was very apologetic.

Our cabin door was left kinda open...not pulled completely closed. We went to put our SeaPass in the door and realized it wasn't pulled close. We brought this to the attention of our cabin steward. It was escalated up...the hallway cameras were checked and they knew who had been in there last. RCI gave us a very generous FCC for the security issue this could have caused.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

I'm the paranoid type, so I'd put it back in the bag if I wasn't in the room.  I'm sure part of the contract is Royal isn't responsible for items not in the safe.  

There are probably hundreds of thousands of examples of folks leaving electronics out with no issue, but I would still put the computer out of sight.

That isn’t paranoia.  That is normal behavior.   A large percentage of folks

don’t leave out valuables.  Many do, 

many don’t.  To each their own based on risk tolerance. 

5 hours ago, topnole said:

I assume you don’t use it for work?   The data I have on my computer is not worth leaving it laying out when it takes about 5 seconds to put it out of sight. 

What is this "work" you speak of?  😉 😄 

• Haha 3