The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday July 28th, 2023

richwmn

Good morning.  Good to see a ship going to Bar Harbor.  One of my favorite ports and am hearing that the town is looking at either restricting or not allowing ships any more.  That would be a shame.  I should be on a ship in October stopping there.  Hope it’s not the last time I am able to visit.  

Very hot here — like the rest of the country.  Speaking of Maine — DS making lobster rolls for dinner today!

Prayers for all in need.  Best wishes to all.  Katherine 

• Like 29

Happy Friday! We had a nice get-together last night with our bible study group. No study, just socializing. Two of the ladies had went to Thailand on a mission trip so we got to hear about that (and they brought gifts for us gals 🙂). One of those ladies went on a cruise with her DH immediately after returning so we got to hear about that also. Lots of hugs all around.

On 7/27/2023 at 5:07 AM, dobiemom said:

Good morning and thank you for the Fleet Report and daily info. Our bible study group takes a break during the summer but we try to get together socially about once a month. So tonight’s the night. It’s a potluck and I’m trying a new recipe, BLT Pasta Salad.  

BLT Pasta Salad: It was good but needs tweaking. Next time I’ll use less pasta (maybe half to 3/4) and more romaine.

Hugs 🤗 and prayers 🙏 for everyone who needs them. Cheers 🎉 for all the celebrations. Thank you all for caring and sharing. 😘

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning from a warm and sunny day at the beach

Not sure how long it will last but will take it  One of the launches did go off last nite with the Heavy rescheduled for today ( hopefully

Not a fan of milk chocolate I prefer dark. I always enjoyed water parks but dont go any longer now that the kids are all grown.

@marshhawk Thank you for that very enlightening information on the Buffalo soldiers.

@Heartgrove  Your home is beautiful. Love the color.

Safe travels to all traveling today.

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good Friday Morning Dailyites!

We did not wake up for a donut run this morning.  Decided that bacon and eggs (wakey wakey eggs and bakey) were just fine.for watching the F3 qualifying this morning.  That and as I usually dont work on Fridays, but have to today to make up hours, (not so much for them, but for my paycheck) i had better work.

I will have the oven on this morning, but not the rest of the day. I am going to make Blueberry cornbread.  Another way to sneak a healthy food into DH's diet.  Yesterday after therapy I stopped at the store, and bought an angel food cake.  and strawberries and whipped cream.  Dessert after lunch was a mock strawberry shortcake.  He thinks i'm giving him treats, I'm giving him fruit....  grated some dark chocolate on cherries last night.  Yum....(the chocolate was my left over easter bunny)  Most people have a cheese drawer, I have a chocolate drawer with a little cheese in it.

And for me, it's dark chocolate, I read it was healthy...

Well, off to get organized, for those of you traveling today, be safe, for those of you cruising, have fun, and for those of you melting (the rest of us) stay cool and hydrated.

@smitty34877We use the air, but we also use fans.  It seems to help both of us (we both have COPD) and it feels like we are getting more air to breathe.  Plus the sound is soothing. 

All-I-need-is-strong-coffee-and-a-short-friday-meme-7567.png

@ger_77Have a great Friday dinner-thought of you when I  saw this142f0d2ba42de3fa9e15bd071a63b8b8.gif

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 24
  • Haha 6

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I like chocolate, light or dark, just don't try to pass off that white stuff as chocolate, I'll catch you every time.  We had a great waterpark in our city, but alas, it closed down a number of years ago.  A solemn salute to the Buffalo Soldiers and all they did.

We had a good day yesterday - our friend who lost his wife last year joined us in the park at the end of our block to watch the Snowbirds salute to the city.  He brought along a new friend - someone he'd taught with over 40 years ago - she was very nice.  It seems she has cruised about a half dozen times, so much of our conversation centered around cruising.  We went for lunch after the air display, and on the way home DH said that even though he really doesn't care to go back to the Caribbean, if our friend and his new friend wanted to, he'd go.  I knew he'd cave in eventually, LOL.

I'm not sure if you remember, but I've mentioned we only live 5 houses away from a large park that extends throughout our city, and often have wildlife appearing.  Well, yesterday our next door neighbour sent me a picture of a creature that was on his driveway . . . a weasel!  That was a new one to me - we've had fox, coyotes, porcupines, rabbits, moose, deer, and now a weasel; wow!

This morning I have to run to Candian Tire to pick up a couple of things for the laundry room, and this afternoon I have my friend's celebration of life to attend.  Her favourite colour was orange, so guests are asked to wear orange or other bright colours in her honour.  I just happen to have an orange and white dress that I usually wear on cruises that will fit the bill today.  The only thing is it will be topped off with a light bolero type sweater, as our temperatures dipped with the rain that came through yesterday afternoon.  We're only expecting a high of 21 (69F), and there could be more rain after lunch, so I'm bringing an umbrella along as well.  And a collapsible Japanese fan, because you don't know how hot it will get in the church.

@superoma Belated Happy Birthday greetings to you for yesterday!

@Heartgroveyour house looks beautiful!  And it's huge!

@Cruzin Terri this is not your year; all the house issues, now the A/C is toast, and your floor is warped . . . . what the heck?!?

I'd like to try the drink of the day, as it sounds very refreshing.  Thanks for another Rioja - I'm sure it would be palatable, as well as economical!  Baked ziti will have to wait for another day, but all the recipes sound good - I think I'd cook some Italian sausage, crumble it up and put it into the mixture before baking.   Tonight is Friday, so it's pizza night - depending on how long the celebration of life goes, I may just stop on my way home and pick up some individual pizzas from the little place that opened up not far from us.  We'll enjoy pizza and cruise conversation on the deck tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, cheers to all who have celebrations happening.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry 

• Like 32
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Heartgrove said:

Thank you Rich, thank you Tina, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work. And thank you everyone for being here!

Bon voyage, Sandi @StLouisCruisers!

We are very happy with the way the house turned out. The body is a color called "Cast Iron" by Sherwin-Williams. The tall peak on the rear was a bit of a stumbling block and was left until the end. The painter needed a 40-foot ladder to reach that peak. I have to admit I was concerned with the young painter working off that ladder. Now for a bit cooler weather and my job of painting the shed to match.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Stay Safe!

- Jack

A6503640.thumb.JPG.f79c0bdcbb771dcef5447495f44e0f6c.JPG

A6503644.thumb.JPG.0f7115cda837b965c1eef59ba4caa457.JPG

A6503651.thumb.JPG.71cf5f729b9c9c95d7efe855d63e9725.JPG

A6503649.thumb.JPG.0bde020ea43c16738c77fc5958183a7d.JPG

Lovely house Jack.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Good Friday morning to all!  Thanks for the daily and fleet report.  I will eat any kind of chocolate but dark is my fav.  I used to go to water parks; there was one up in Phoenix in the '70's we would go to.  It was a wave pool.  We enjoyed it.  I salute Buffalo soldiers as they were vital to the west.  Love George's quote and the meal sounds delicious.  I was confused on what the drink was until the explanation was posted (thanks @summer slope).  Ohhhh, Chartreuse!!!  LOVE it.  I have some green Chartreuse in my freezer.  I love the stuff and a lot of places don't carry it when I go out for dinner.  So I will have to try this drink.  Wait, I don't really have a "cocktail" glass.  Hmmm.  The wine sounds good and affordable and never been to the port.  What a momentous day for Ireland.

Had a nice storm roll through last night but I didn't get any rain.  I seem to be in the wrong place in town.  My participant kit for the cardiac risk factor study will arrive today so I guess I am approved to be in the study!  I have to stick around until it arrives - supposedly before 12.  It includes an automatic BP machine that I will get to keep.  This should be fun!! 

I need to get a mani/pedi and I go to a place 40 minutes away that doesn't take appointments.  If the kit comes early, I am off.  If not, I guess I will go Monday.  Saturdays are just too busy and it ends up being an all day affair.  But I like the salon so I will make the drive and the wait.

Thoughts for all of those on the care list and cheers to those sailing and celebrating!  64 days until my next cruise!!

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 27

At least, I got back from my walk before it got really hot.  A neighbor who was driving by stopped for a quick chat.  With this heat, we hardly ever see our neighbors, much less get a chance to visit.

48 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

Buffalo Soldiers were United States Army regiments formed during the 19th century to serve on the American frontier that primarily comprised African Americans. On September 21, 1866, the 10th Cavalry Regiment was formed at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas. The nickname "Buffalo Soldiers" was purportedly given to the regiment by Native Americans who fought against them in the American Indian Wars, and the term eventually became synonymous with all of the African American U.S. Army regiments established in 1866, including the 9th Cavalry Regiment, 10th Cavalry Regiment, 24th Infantry Regiment, 25th Infantry Regiment and 38th Infantry Regiment.[1]

Although several African-American Union Army regiments were raised during the American Civil War (referred to collectively as the United States Colored Troops), "Buffalo Soldiers" were established by the United States Congress as the first peacetime all-black regiments in the U.S. Army.[2] The regiments were racially segregated, as the U.S. military would not desegregate until 1948. On September 6, 2005, Mark Matthews, the last surviving Buffalo Soldier, died aged 111. He was buried at Arlington National Cemetery.[3]

Annie, thanks for the information on the Buffalo soldiers.  They were stationed at several forts in Texas, including Ft. Phantom Hill outside of Abilene where I grew up.  The best preserved fort is Fort Davis in Fort Davis, Texas, which is a National Historic Site.  

38 minutes ago, dobiemom said:

Happy Friday! We had a nice get-together last night with our bible study group. No study, just socializing. Two of the ladies had went to Thailand on a mission trip so we got to hear about that (and they brought gifts for us gals 🙂). One of those ladies went on a cruise with her DH immediately after returning so we got to hear about that also. Lots of hugs all around.

BLT Pasta Salad: It was good but needs tweaking. Next time I’ll use less pasta (maybe half to 3/4) and more romaine.

Hugs 🤗 and prayers 🙏 for everyone who needs them. Cheers 🎉 for all the celebrations. Thank you all for caring and sharing. 😘

Marcia, thanks for mentioning the BLT salad needs tweaking.

15 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I like chocolate, light or dark, just don't try to pass off that white stuff as chocolate, I'll catch you every time.  We had a great waterpark in our city, but alas, it closed down a number of years ago.  A solemn salute to the Buffalo Soldiers and all they did.

We had a good day yesterday - our friend who lost his wife last year joined us in the park at the end of our block to watch the Snowbirds salute to the city.  He brought along a new friend - someone he'd taught with over 40 years ago - she was very nice.  It seems she has cruised about a half dozen times, so much of our conversation centered around cruising.  We went for lunch after the air display, and on the way home DH said that even though he really doesn't care to go back to the Caribbean, if our friend and his new friend wanted to, he'd go.  I knew he'd cave in eventually, LOL.

I'm not sure if you remember, but I've mentioned we only live 5 houses away from a large park that extends throughout our city, and often have wildlife appearing.  Well, yesterday our next door neighbour sent me a picture of a creature that was on his driveway . . . a weasel!  That was a new one to me - we've had fox, coyotes, porcupines, rabbits, moose, deer, and now a weasel; wow!

This morning I have to run to Candian Tire to pick up a couple of things for the laundry room, and this afternoon I have my friend's celebration of life to attend.  Her favourite colour was orange, so guests are asked to wear orange or other bright colours in her honour.  I just happen to have an orange and white dress that I usually wear on cruises that will fit the bill today.  The only thing is it will be topped off with a light bolero type sweater, as our temperatures dipped with the rain that came through yesterday afternoon.  We're only expecting a high of 21 (69F), and there could be more rain after lunch, so I'm bringing an umbrella along as well.  And a collapsible Japanese fan, because you don't know how hot it will get in the church.

@superoma Belated Happy Birthday greetings to you for yesterday!

@Heartgroveyour house looks beautiful!  And it's huge!

@Cruzin Terri this is not your year; all the house issues, now the A/C is toast, and your floor is warped . . . . what the heck?!?

I'd like to try the drink of the day, as it sounds very refreshing.  Thanks for another Rioja - I'm sure it would be palatable, as well as economical!  Baked ziti will have to wait for another day, but all the recipes sound good - I think I'd cook some Italian sausage, crumble it up and put it into the mixture before baking.   Tonight is Friday, so it's pizza night - depending on how long the celebration of life goes, I may just stop on my way home and pick up some individual pizzas from the little place that opened up not far from us.  We'll enjoy pizza and cruise conversation on the deck tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, cheers to all who have celebrations happening.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry 

Gerry, I agree about the so called "white" chocolate, which doesn't even taste like milk chocolate, much less dark chocolate.

348924419_1382470572313583_1126960953356832504_n.jpg.4bcd6e149130737605eabea845d14758.jpg

349708677_945723440024969_3485408351781745657_n.jpg.ddd1adce105d776ee9728b34f7371ecf.jpg

350098970_647967516680972_7532525868750813666_n.thumb.jpg.a28ca3f795f380bf9cd4e5a167c45088.jpg

350118082_1113583466700035_6311217185555788627_n.thumb.jpg.79237be9c1cf702f20067ec928ce1ddb.jpg

350269324_788987722901671_1992291910775309777_n.jpg.9b17bd98c1b42b3b6b2f01e893e14e44.jpg

350291819_1253447195558296_8284638783508972285_n.jpg.97a407d8d03e8cb3bcabc376d184b2af.jpg

Lenda

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 21

2 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

Thank you Rich, thank you Tina, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work. And thank you everyone for being here!

Bon voyage, Sandi @StLouisCruisers!

We are very happy with the way the house turned out. The body is a color called "Cast Iron" by Sherwin-Williams. The tall peak on the rear was a bit of a stumbling block and was left until the end. The painter needed a 40-foot ladder to reach that peak. I have to admit I was concerned with the young painter working off that ladder. Now for a bit cooler weather and my job of painting the shed to match.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Stay Safe!

- Jack

A6503640.thumb.JPG.f79c0bdcbb771dcef5447495f44e0f6c.JPG

A6503644.thumb.JPG.0f7115cda837b965c1eef59ba4caa457.JPG

A6503651.thumb.JPG.71cf5f729b9c9c95d7efe855d63e9725.JPG

A6503649.thumb.JPG.0bde020ea43c16738c77fc5958183a7d.JPG

Looks great and I love the color.

Susan

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Happy Friday everyone. Thank you for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Hot and muggy today. I do believe we might see some cooler weather next week. here's hoping. 

I love any type of Baked ziti. I make a version with turkey sausage. I also have made baked spaghetti. 

Fancy continues to amaze me. She is so energetic. She loves being outdoors and is just so happy to run around as fast as she can. She continues to adjust quite well. She has her first vet appointment tomorrow. At one time she apparently was treated for Lyme disease. I suspect her joints still act up every once in a while. She certainly doesn't let the bother her. 

Thinking of everyone on the care list. Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Its Friday Meme Cat : Heck Yeah It S Friday Friday Cat Cats Cute Cats ...

Friday's are my favorite! #chewslife #memes #dogmemes #dogs #dogslife # ...

• Like 25
  • Haha 5

Good morning Dailyites.  A beautiful morning to sit out and watch the birds. I usually read Lenda's weather report because we are pretty close to one another. Sorry about the fire. That is scary with us being so dry with no relief in sight.

Jack your house looks beautiful. Great color too.

I went to a new salon and had my hair cut. The gal that used to join 9 of us in Sun City had shoulder surgery and was off for 6 weeks, now she needs the other shoulder done, so she just retired and we are all moving on.

Last night our friend brought Indian food, and another brought rum balls. We played games and I won all 3. Yay.. Tonight we meet friends at our local pub for dinner, then go to a dance and band.

I enjoy a piece of chocolate every once in a while.

image.png.5b213d1278215094626080068e507f19.png

Loved the waterparks when the grandkids were younger.

image.png.2fff8a8dec8ff871ed685630c0f7f9cb.png

God bless the buffalo soldiers and thank you for the information Annie.

Wishing ya'll a wonderful weekend. Stay cool! Blessings, prayers, and cheers to all of our Daily-ites, family, and friends!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

Good morning all. Coolish here but temps will rise later. We are supposed to get a moderate break in the heat next week.... I hope. We had one very light shower yesterday.... not enough to really help.

Well, yesterday turned into a very bad day for me. If you remember I said I was worrying about a situation over which I had no control. It was a long time friend here in Durango. We were fairly close and did things like lunches and shows together some times and we talked on the phone regularly. She was a very social person.... belonged to lots of clubs, church activities, volunteered at several organizations so she generally saw and knew lots of people.  Was rarely home at nights and during the day. Anyway, she has not been feeling well and having some aches, pains and general discomfort- sort of what we all have. Not as much energy, no longer can do long walks or hikes. She had tests, MRI, etc. and they found nothing. I talked with her on last Friday and suggested she go back to her Primary Care as she was feeling tired and depressed and not sleeping well (Who is with the heat?) and maybe a medication change was in order. Her obituary was in yesterday's paper. Then, when I called the daughter of another friend to let her know about this, she told me that her Mother was in Hospice. Don't need any more news for awhile. My friend Diane's service is Monday.   

Soooo.... that is my life right now.... sort of down. Will run some errands, walk dogs and haul stuff to the thrift store and maybe read a bit.

No blue bubbles for me today. For all with health problems and house problems... thinking the most positive of thoughts for you. Life seems to be throwing rocks at us.

Susan

• Like 10
  • Thanks 19

Good morning all!

I never turn down any chocolate (except white chocolate, that isn't even really chocolate IMO) but prefer dark.  The grandsons love water parks, and the Buffalo Soldiers deserve more than 1 day.  Will pass on the red wine, the drink sounds good as does the meal but I would add a little meat.  Like the quote, have never been to the port.

Not much on the agenda today other than gardening and cruise planning.  The cruise we booked yesterday already has an active roll call, so catching up on that.  

@smitty34877 Terry I'm glad it went well yesterday for your DH's port placement.  

@Heartgrove Jack your house is lovely and I love the color.  Oh my, our house is probably half the size of yours (but 2-story too) and I'm already worrying about being able to keep it up. 😂

@cat shepard Ann safe travels!

@rafinmd Roy I hope you have a good appointment today with the cardiologist.

@StLouisCruisers Sandi safe travels to Boston!

@dobiemom Laura thank you for letting us know the tip about the BLT Pasta Salad.

@superoma Belated Happy Birthday!

@0106 Tina thank you for another BLT pasta salad recipe.

@durangoscotsSusan I'm so very sorry about your friends.  It must have been quite a shock. 😞  

• Like 20
  • Thanks 4

Today is also National Chicken Wings Day and, according to the local TV station, National Burger Day.  Which would you prefer if you had a choice?  I would select a burger but I love chicken wings.  

• Like 19